Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester), 38 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Do you think Popeye the Sailor-Man benefitted from Infinite Crisis?
#498952 09/30/07 12:54 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
While I'm happy to see classic Popeye elements such as Wimpy and the nephews finally back in continuity after they were deemed "too silly" after COIE, I'm really confused by the whole merged Bluto/Brutus thing. And if they've changed his whole history with the Sea Hag, just what happened to his right eye in current continuity?

Re: Do you think Popeye the Sailor-Man benefitted from Infinite Crisis?
#498953 09/30/07 10:46 PM
Active
Active
The merging of Bluto and Brutus really was the only way they could straighten out the mess created by Zero Hour's turning Bluto into Parrelax. Brutus was supposed to be the original Monarch, but at the last minute Max Fleischer came back from the dead and vetoed the move. John Byrne had asked Max to reserve Brutus to be the sole Popeye bully, as he had never really liked Bluto. So to straighten that mess out, in a very complicated scene that most writers have spent the last 13 years either trying to ignore or writing long brain-numbing sagas to make sense of, Pappy was written out of continuity (For all of three pages) and Popeye who was either going to have to follow him into oblivion or become his own father somehow remarked "Gershk! This is Re-bearisking,'" swallowed the the Guardians last can of Spinach and punched Bluto through the wall of reality. At that point in time Bluto disappeared and Hal Jordan became Parralax, Pappy came back from his banishment in Ragnarok and died with Al Pratt and Charles McNider, and Pepper Popeye, Pappy's illegitimate daughter ceased to ever have existed, thus losing forever an integral part of Legion Lore.

In the interest of re-instating Pepper Bluto had to be brught back, but in the interst of keeping the continuity as streamlined as possible Bluto and Brutus had to be presented as having always been two halves of the same person. At least we assume they were halves, perhaps we will meet a third self between now and Final Crisis.

I personally think that they are going to be split out back into seperate people when they are featured in Countdown #13. I think Doc Magnus is going to be forced to download one of the personalities into a responseometer and the new entity, my prediction is it will be Bluto, will be built from uranium byproducts become the driving force for villainy in a new series debuting in the aftermath of FC. It will be called Kid Popeye, and will feature a forcibly aged Swee' Pea, who will occasionally appear as a member of the Legion of Super-heroes from Earth 49.

I further predict that this continuity will be seriously retro- graded be "Final Crisis +4," beginning in January 2021.

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#498954 09/30/07 10:54 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
rotflmao

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#498955 09/30/07 10:56 PM
Active
Active
Oh, and as far as the "Sea Hag/ Eye" question goes- at breakfast after their one-night stand in college, Olive squirted Popeye in the eye with some grapefrut juice (its how she maintains that girlish figure). The supressed animosity Popeye keeps lingereing in his heart for decades is what drives her into Bluto's arms, and, in the far future, to become the Sea Hag and use her magic to travel back through time and torture Popeye.

#498956 10/01/07 10:39 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
But what of Popeye's Pal, Wimpy? Current events have many strange happenings afoot for him... hmmm

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#498957 10/01/07 10:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What about the recent revalation that Olive Oyl stayed thin by abusing stimulants and emetics and that she suffers from several eating disorders?

Shocking to say the least.

#498958 10/01/07 02:14 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
Has anyone heard who've they've hired to complete Robert Altman's Popeye story? I was pretty excited when they announced last year that the famed director would be writing the comic. After all, he gave us the definitive movie version of Popeye. However, his untimely death seems to left the last half of his twelve issue arc up in the air.

#498959 10/01/07 02:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Why not just tell the story of Wimpy or the nephews as young adults? I'm so tired of them rebooting to a young Popeye!

#498960 10/01/07 02:39 PM
strange but not a stranger
What of the rumor that Wimpy contracted Mad Cow Disease? "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger woof woof woof drool Eggs Florentine!"

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#498961 10/01/07 02:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
But didn't Wimpy go vegetarian, have G-I bypass surgery and lose more weight than Al Roker?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#498962 10/01/07 02:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Am I the only one who keeps needing to look at the title of the thread twice thinking at first that it was about Sailor Moon?

#498963 10/01/07 02:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, you're the only one, Drake! wink

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#498964 10/01/07 02:55 PM
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Am I the only one who keeps needing to look at the title of the thread twice thinking at first that it was about Sailor Moon?
possibly

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#498965 10/01/07 03:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wait someone rebooted Popeye as a trans sexual Japanese School Girl Manga character? And he magically becomes a man when he eats a can of testosterone laced spinach?

#498966 10/01/07 03:02 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger woof woof woof drool
I thought it always thought it was odd that after Byrne retconned out Wimpy post COIE, later writers nonetheless introduced a sucession of different characters that used Wimpy's famous catch-phrase.

#498967 10/01/07 04:18 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Language Arts Lad:
The merging of Bluto and Brutus really was the only way they could straighten out the mess created by Zero Hour's turning Bluto into Parrelax. Brutus was supposed to be the original Monarch, but at the last minute Max Fleischer came back from the dead and vetoed the move. John Byrne had asked Max to reserve Brutus to be the sole Popeye bully, as he had never really liked Bluto. So to straighten that mess out, in a very complicated scene that most writers have spent the last 13 years either trying to ignore or writing long brain-numbing sagas to make sense of, Pappy was written out of continuity (For all of three pages) and Popeye who was either going to have to follow him into oblivion or become his own father somehow remarked "Gershk! This is Re-bearisking,'" swallowed the the Guardians last can of Spinach and punched Bluto through the wall of reality. At that point in time Bluto disappeared and Hal Jordan became Parralax, Pappy came back from his banishment in Ragnarok and died with Al Pratt and Charles McNider, and Pepper Popeye, Pappy's illegitimate daughter ceased to ever have existed, thus losing forever an integral part of Legion Lore.

In the interest of re-instating Pepper Bluto had to be brught back, but in the interst of keeping the continuity as streamlined as possible Bluto and Brutus had to be presented as having always been two halves of the same person. At least we assume they were halves, perhaps we will meet a third self between now and Final Crisis.

I personally think that they are going to be split out back into seperate people when they are featured in Countdown #13. I think Doc Magnus is going to be forced to download one of the personalities into a responseometer and the new entity, my prediction is it will be Bluto, will be built from uranium byproducts become the driving force for villainy in a new series debuting in the aftermath of FC. It will be called Kid Popeye, and will feature a forcibly aged Swee' Pea, who will occasionally appear as a member of the Legion of Super-heroes from Earth 49.

I further predict that this continuity will be seriously retro- graded be "Final Crisis +4," beginning in January 2021.
This may be in my top five favorites posts of all time!

#498968 10/01/07 04:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You guys know Castor Oyl (Olive's brother) pre-dates Popeye right? No really!

#498969 10/01/07 06:21 PM
Active
Active
This may be in my top five favorites posts of all time!
Aw Shucks, I'm honored. shocked laugh

#498970 10/02/07 02:31 AM
Leader
Leader
With all this talk of Wimpy, I feel the need to get myself to a JOHNNY ROCKETS.

#498971 10/02/07 06:37 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
Nope, you're not the only one. frown Let us get our eyes checked together.

#498972 10/02/07 08:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I hear that Popeye - Red Son is "in-continuity" now. (Or maybe that was incontinent.)

#498973 10/02/07 08:46 AM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
You guys know Castor Oyl (Olive's brother) pre-dates Popeye right? No really!
Yes, but these days he only apparently only exists on Earth-49, where we've seen brief glimpses of characters resembling darker versions of the original Thimble Theater cast.

#498974 10/02/07 03:37 PM
Active
Active
Yes, but these days he only apparently only exists on Earth-49
Yeah, but he and Baba Louie and Muttley are all par tof the "These people are already supposed to be dead" group.

And even if they aren't, don't forget that Dan DiDumDum has specifically stated that just because it looks like Castor (or Olive, or Snagglepuss) it doesn't mean it's OUR Castor (or Snagglepuss) This is a totally new multiverse that supposedly has tangentially little to do with pre-IC continuity, let alone pre-COIE.

I didn't mean to imply that Quicksdraw and Snagglepuss are going to be part of Earth 49 continuity. To the best of my knowledge he, Magilla Gorilla, Squidly Diddly, Atom Ant, Wally Gator, and at least the silver-age Secret Squirrel will remain on Earth-HB, the alternate dimension connected to Earth-4 (that's the Charlton Heroes isn't it?) the way Captain Carrot's Zoo Crew universe Earth-C is related to New Earth(*1*).

Of course, we haven't seen any stories set in these realities yet, so we don't know if Squidly is still the cross-dresser he was in the Vertigo version, If Wally really does eat any (and or all) of the children he fathers as he did in the horror comic mini, or if Magilla Gorrilla was ever the Rabid Vampire he became in the Wildstorm crossover.

I never accepted any of these as canon, and despite the fact that I am a huge fan of the 5YG Yogi Bear stories (I especially liked what they did with Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy) as I think they grew naturally out of the tepid stagnation of the first few years after COIE, I would rather have the world reset than keep perpetuate the badness further.

For example, I personally would rather the mylar-age Secret Squirrel be revealed as the illegitimate son of the original that he was hinted to be in the '82 mini-series (and all but acclaimed to be in 1989's 12-part "Year of the Squirrel" rather than the icky weirrd clone-child of Secret and Morocco Mole he seemed to be in the '95 series. If the two of them want to have a BROmance, let's see it in the comics and not have it ret-conned in 30 or more years later.

I do however think that Huckleberry Hound will be revealed to be the Time Trapper. nod

#498975 10/02/07 03:54 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
I must have mis-read it. I thought Wimpy now had Proty's brain...

#498976 10/02/07 03:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wait a minute. Are you saying Wacky Races aren't in continuity????

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Babette
Babette
SHAKES
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star