Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 33 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 32 33
Re: Random Review Corner
#503173 06/09/12 04:49 PM
Active
Active
On Mr. Cobie's recommendation, I picked up & read Resident Alien #0 & #1.
As usual, he was right.
I loved it!! It has a very mid-20th century sci-fi feel to it & the story is told in such a low-key manner, that it totally sucks you into it's little world.
It's linda like a J'onn J'onzz story concentrating on the mystery-solving instead of the super-heroics... and the art definitely has Forte-flavor.
Highly recommended!!

#503174 06/09/12 05:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
^Also purchased issues 0 and 1 last Wednesday! When I get to it, I'll let ya know what I think!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#503175 06/09/12 05:41 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yay! I knew you'd love it, Anita! You're dead on about the mid 20th century sci-fi vibe.

And Lardy, also glad you grabbed it too! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

#503176 06/09/12 05:50 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The latest series I've dived into headfirst is Skullkickers! I randomly bought #13 and liked it so much I went ahead and for the first two trades so I could get caught up all at once.

It's action meets comedy meets swords & sorcery with an energy to it that is infectious and exhausting (in a good way). The two leads are hilarious and charming. The intro to the first trade likens them to being part Conan in their love of mischief, part Fafraid & the Grey Mouser because of their witty camaraderie, and part hilarious juvenile humor of a teenage Dungeons & Dragons campaign gone off on an uncontrollable tangent. Its all those things except with an awesome factor times 1,000.

Its just damn fun. I've read the first trade in a sitting and will get to the second shortly. The series won't be for everyone...but if you're looking for a funny-ass adventure series that includes elves, dwarves and an ass-kicking female-only manned pirate ship then this is your comic.

#503177 06/18/12 11:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Picked up the Boys trades 2 and 3. The store didn't have #1.

Why has no one recommended this to me before ! wink

It's like Preacher + Powers ... In fact, I bet Bendis was a big fan.

There is quite a lot of over the top shock but, it comes so hard and heavy that its really not about the shock value or being sensational, in a way it trivializes taboo subjects to the point where they are actually merely there for comic value and/or put into the light of day in order to actually examine them.

#503178 06/18/12 03:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I've been beating that drum over on The Boys' own thread sporadically, Peebs, with little-to-no effect. Even Cobie, a huge Ennis fan, hasn't picked it up yet! nod

#503179 07/04/12 07:17 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Dark Horse is on it's own roll lately with creator-owned comics, and the latest one is another fantastic opening: The Massive. Its intelligent with great characters and a fascinating premise that has me at least wanting to give it a solid 6 issue follow up to see where it's going.

The post-Apocalyptic premise set in the naval mystery genre--a genre that hasn't really been mainstream since the pre-superhero Golden Age--is delightfully unique.

Between this and Conan, I'm finding Brian Wood's writing to be very appealing.

#503180 07/07/12 12:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

#503181 07/18/12 06:23 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So...a few reviews in short...

I grabbed Revival by Image on a whim even though I have zero interest in collecting another series featuring zombies. I'm glad I did--because it was excellent! I'm definitely in for another 5+ issues, as I thought the premiere issue delivered a fascinating premise, some really strong lead characters and a strong last page hook. They call it 'rural noir' and that's a great description--it's not quite horror, and has that slow burn growing sense of unease. It's by Tim Seeley (by far the best thing I've seen from him) and Mike Norton (whose always been good and is now entering his 'great' phase). Definitely recommend to fans of horror, noir, zombies or just great comics!

I've always liked Los Bros Hernandez, even though I haven't been their most avid follower. So I picked up Fatima: the Blood Spinners #1 by Dark Horse & Gilbert Hernandez, and soaked up the wonderful artwork inside, which was a nod to the great B-movies of yesteryear. The story itself was a little weak for my tastes though and I won't be coming back for the second issue. Great art, too generic story: not regretting buying but not feeling bad about not continuing. 

I also grabbed Grim Leaper by Image because it's written by Kurtis Wiebe, who has knocked my socks of with Peter Panzerfaust and Green Wake. I was a little disappointed because I wasn't prepared for how snarky the lead was and how humorous the art would be. The story--a guy who keeps getting killed in ridiculous ways and coming back in another body finds a girl with the same curse--is interesting but something I feel I've seen before. But it's the tone of the story and the artwork that kind of had me skimming towards the end. Oh well, Wiebe rocks but they can't all be geared towards my tastes!

#503182 07/19/12 11:02 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

I also grabbed Grim Leaper by Image because it's written by Kurtis Wiebe, who has knocked my socks of with Peter Panzerfaust and Green Wake. I was a little disappointed because I wasn't prepared for how snarky the lead was and how humorous the art would be. The story--a guy who keeps getting killed in ridiculous ways and coming back in another body finds a girl with the same curse--is interesting but something I feel I've seen before. But it's the tone of the story and the artwork that kind of had me skimming towards the end. Oh well, Wiebe rocks but they can't all be geared towards my tastes!
Hm. Looks like I liked Grim Leaper a lot more than you did. It wasn't the most-out-there thing I'd ever seen, but it definitely commanded my interest. I really liked the art and coloring style used here especially. I've a feeling this one will only get better from here as the first issue was mostly set-up.

#503183 07/19/12 11:04 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
And it looks like I'll have to give Revival a look-see! So much Image product coming out that it's impossible to guess which ones I should give a whirl!

#503184 07/25/12 12:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Valerian and Laureline series: Book 1 - The City of Shifting Waters; Book 2 - The Empire of a Thousand Planets
by J.-C. Mezieres and P. Christin

This series from France began in 1967 and is available now in English. Valerian and Laureline are two Spatio-Temporal agents in Earth's future, whose mission is to patrol both history and their current universe, to defend the Terran Empire.

The City of Shifting Waters has the pair travel back to New York City in 1986 to find escaped prisoner Xombul, the would-be dictator of Earth. Earth is mostly flooded after a hydrogen bomb depot blew up near the North Pole and melted the ice caps. This is normally a forbidden period for time travel, but Xombul is such a serious villain that he must be recaptured at all costs.

The pair arrive in New York, encounter a variety of scavengers and gang members, dress up like hippies to fit in, and, with the help of a gang leader, find Xombul and a key physicist he has captured. (The physicist just happens to look like Jerry Lewis.) Xombul, of course, plans to change history according to his liking. Many adventures and chasing Xombul across America, and the good guys win in the end.

For 1967, the story is not very dated, apart from some references to current events and the illustration of computers. It's also quite a wordy story, which I enjoy. The artwork is great, cartoony but detailed with lots of exotic settings, groovy robots and space machines.

The Empire of a Thousand Planets has the pair travel within their own time to the planet Syrte the Magnificent, centre of an Empire which Earth fears may present a threat at some point - so Valerian and Laureline are sent to check it out. They discover that the Empire is controlled by a group called The Enlighteneds, mysterious creatures who hide within the palace and keep the people downtrodden. The two agents meet a merchant named Elmir, who encourages them to sneak into the palace in exchange for information about the Enlighteneds. More wild adventures, leading to a revolution and discovery of exactly who the Enlighteneds are.

This volume is much more futuristic and here the artist really shows his creativity.

At the end of the book, the publishers include a page showing how images first introduced in the series were picked up and copied by Hollywood.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#503185 07/28/12 03:44 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Transformers: more than meets the eye

I have never really been a massive Transformers comic book fan...I like the animated stuff when it's on, though I wouldn't really go out of my way to see it. I just always kinda thought that print isn't the best medium for a series whose greatest appeal is gigantic transforming robots.

I still tend to feel that the transforming aspect of Transformers gets a little lost when you're looking at static images, but the writing in this series is more than good enough to outshine that. The dialogue in this series is always really sharo and intelligent, the characters all have their own individual personalities, and the premise is something different. In this series, the war between the Autobots and the Decepticons is over and a bunch of them have now set off into the unknown to find the Knights of Cyberton (legendary figures from their past who may not even have existed).

The art is also very well-suited; Nick Roche draws him some good techy stuff. Admittedly I have a little trouble telling them apart at times, but that's not a flaw in the art so much as it is with me being much more used to reading comics about humanoids.

I have been reading previews and reviews of the series up till now; now that it's at issue 7 and I have yet to see anything I don't like, I decided to pick up the first issue on Comixology. I liked it enough that I have grabbed the rest as well.

It's good stuff! smile

#503186 07/29/12 08:53 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I had high hopes and was thrilled to have them exceeded by Debris, which just launched by Image! It's by Kurtis Wiebe (the genius behind Peter Panzerfaust and Green Wake) and Riley Rossmo (also a genius, as also seen on Green Wake). It's a high concept sci-fi series with a great lead, solid hook and just face melting artwork that is glorious to behold.

Wiebe is a master at injecting a sense of 'adventure' and he does that here with a firm sci-fi premise. He also writes one of the most promising female leads in forever! Kick-ass and enjoyably multi-layered. Just like Peter Panzerfaust there is a wonderful sense of epicness just around the corner.

Riley Rossmo is always fantastic and here he delivers his most beautiful work ever. It's a slight adjustment to his style with colors by Owen Gieni that just make it POP! The imagery really explodes off the page and I found myself just stopping to stare at panels.

This is a 4 issue mini and is shaping up to be a highlight of 2012 comics. I highly recommend it to everyone.

If you like Final Fantasy video games, sci-fi, kick ass female leads and adventure high octane enough to make you smile, you will love this.

#503187 08/10/12 07:54 AM
Active
Active
I just read Debris #1 & loved it too, darling!
Great set up to a promising new series!!

#503188 08/10/12 08:04 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You have impeccable tastes, my dear!

#503189 08/24/12 10:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I picked up Idolized #1. Not sure why but an Arthur Adams cover dosn't hurt.

I was pleasantly surprised!!! The set up involves a girl trying out for a super hero reality show. She has some fairly typical reasons for doing it ... both of which don't exactly sale as series to me.

BUT big butt ... It was so WELL-DONE I really enjoyed it. The art is nice, and very emotive, and the writing is also emotive. While the story may not sound so unique ... the main character really comes off of the page. I'll be in for #2 at least.

This review basically reflects my own review:

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/08/15/comic-review-idolized-1/

In other news, I picked up a bunch of back issues of Justice League Dark and the Flash. The art certainly helps on these books but Flash for sure comes across as light and short. However, I'm hopeful that it'll work with the single hero against one or two villains each month. The year long rogue's saga is coming to a head, and that's what prompted me to go all in ... I'm a sucker for the Rogue's AND the 'Golden Glider' appears ... new and improved in a a great new take on the character IMO. (well she's a psychopath which I worry will go bad soon but what I like is her new power set/identity)

I think most of DC's books are light and short but hopefully 8 or so back issues in a row will satisfy me.

I am curious about Wonder Woman as well, the art looks good, and everyone keeps telling me how great it is. But ... I flipped through the most recent one and it seemed light / melodramatic. Besides I am soured on DC and especially the big three. (Also, souring on the X-Men and Avengers ... we'll see.)

Any thoughts on Wonder Woman ?

#503190 08/25/12 06:22 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The vast majority of DC books are utter crap. JLDark is one of the better ones. Flash is worth buying for the art alone (at its risk taking / boundary pushing best) but I agree it's grown very light issue to issue.

I enjoy Wonder Woman quite a lot. Artist Cliff Chang makes the series; when he misses an issue, it reveals to the reader that the story is not quite as good as we thought.

#503191 09/07/12 08:57 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So ... I'm having a budget crisis ... so I have decided to slash and burn the amount of titles i get.

This week ... I put several things back on the shelf after perusing them ...

One of which was Earth 2 #0. Art was so so and I didn't find it very interesting for Terry Sloane and Batman to be on the same team together (especially to have him pull the same trick that the Bat pulled on the JLA before) ... and they didn't show a catwoman ... even though they referred to her.

What I did purchase ... made me happy.

World's Finest #0.

All Kevin Maguire, loved the story, and how Kara and Helena met and bonded. The one thing I didn't like is I always thought Robin was Robin like the bird ... since robins are really smart feisty and agile ... and this issue comes out and says its robin like robin hood .. oh well maybe its a bit of both.

Hawkeye #2

great story, not too gory but adult ... and Kate Bishop I mean ... what more could you ask for. Especially out from under the atmosphere of a "kid's" title. This issue starts a story line while #1 had a done in one introduction. I can't wait to see where it goes ... Hawkeye made me love it in 1 issue. This is a cool clint barton that recognizes his character failings which make him much more than the dumb jock as he's been portrayed in the avengers.

Silk Spectre #2

great fun, I like the introduction of the Comedian ... and I think it was a most honest if not over the top depiction of drug use. however, it seems a bit non U.S. to me in certain details ... I'll keep my eyes peeled. It is really different and 'small town' compared to the other Before Watchmen titles I am reading. Maybe by the end, the sweet girl will get to where she was in the Watchmen series. I'm not sure I want her too though, I could go for quite some time with this type of Silk Spectre Year One atmosphere.

Thor #19

my least favorite of the four but its Alan Davis. the story has me a bit confused, i think there's some continuity problems .. i am trying to tune out, which are fairly central to the plot which has the vanir and the aesir divided ... and changes the wife of odin from frigga to freya ... and claims they have no son tying their tribes together ... meaning no balder ... i dont get it ... not so many issues ago we had balder leading the asgardians ...

It was really nice to only read things I thought were very good or I enjoyed!

#503192 09/08/12 12:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Power Boy:

Thor #19

my least favorite of the four but its Alan Davis. the story has me a bit confused, i think there's some continuity problems .. i am trying to tune out, which are fairly central to the plot which has the vanir and the aesir divided ... and changes the wife of odin from frigga to freya ... and claims they have no son tying their tribes together ... meaning no balder ... i dont get it ... not so many issues ago we had balder leading the asgardians ...
Balder's currently 'dead'. Or something. Not that any of his fellow Asgardians seem to have noticed.

#503193 09/13/12 10:20 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Shade #12. The Origin. "at long last". :sarcasm:

I am sad to see this one end.

This issue was great, don't get me wrong but, I don't think I want the Shade humanized. I could guess at this origin already from what we've seen before ... and for me it takes a bit of the polish or the 'cool' from the Shade to know about his human and mortal origins.

Like I said, A well done issue, but didn't offer a whole lot new, and kind of took the air out of "Shade the Phenomenon's" step.

I would have been happier to see this end with the Shade kicking butt in 11. Rather than the extremely obligatory "origin" to end the series on rather than ... what I think needs to be done .. Is a story arc involving the Shades first few adventures. (that seems SO natural after issue 12.) Issue 12 would be a great 1st issue in a 4 issue story arc. I'll miss you Shade.

Reminds me a bit of a much more well done origin of Spike the vampire on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was off the wall, funny, and clear that the before and after were completely two different people. (thus rescuing our bad boy from his human and wimpy origins)

Or another way to go would be the origin of Anya on Buffy, she might have been nicer as a mortal but ... still not to be trifled with.

#503194 10/03/12 06:41 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm loving the hell out Plametoid. The artwork & coloring are fantastic, with a moody and rugged sci-fi base that has subtle elements of fantasy. The setting, at first somewhat strait forward, is getting increasingly (and deliciously) complex.

#3 was a fantastic issue showing how a community can come together in the face of incredible odds.

High recommendation! Ken Garing is pretty genius (he does the whole shebang). This is a definite part of the current sci-fi silver age going on in comics.

#503195 10/08/12 03:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I had high hopes and was thrilled to have them exceeded by Debris, which just launched by Image! It's by Kurtis Wiebe (the genius behind Peter Panzerfaust and Green Wake) and Riley Rossmo (also a genius, as also seen on Green Wake). It's a high concept sci-fi series with a great lead, solid hook and just face melting artwork that is glorious to behold.

Wiebe is a master at injecting a sense of 'adventure' and he does that here with a firm sci-fi premise. He also writes one of the most promising female leads in forever! Kick-ass and enjoyably multi-layered. Just like Peter Panzerfaust there is a wonderful sense of epicness just around the corner.

Riley Rossmo is always fantastic and here he delivers his most beautiful work ever. It's a slight adjustment to his style with colors by Owen Gieni that just make it POP! The imagery really explodes off the page and I found myself just stopping to stare at panels.

This is a 4 issue mini and is shaping up to be a highlight of 2012 comics. I highly recommend it to everyone.

If you like Final Fantasy video games, sci-fi, kick ass female leads and adventure high octane enough to make you smile, you will love this.
Originally posted by Anita Cocktail:
I just read Debris #1 & loved it too, darling!
Great set up to a promising new series!!
Finally got to issue #1 of Debris in my two-months-plus-behind stack o' comics. Like these guys above, I thought the issue was thoroughly awesome.

In many ways the core story is a very familiar one. I could see the ending coming a mile away. If I described to you this scenario from the first page: Young warrior is trained by her elderly mentor to defend her people from creatures that threaten their very existence---what do you think might happen at the end of the issue? I'll bet you can guess real quick!

Well, despite that one caveat of the trappings of the plot being very familiar, I've got to say the book transcends the cliches with some sterling execution. I mean, Riley Rossmo's modified style is just beautiful! I loved his work on Green Wake, where I'd describe the style he used as a cross between Dave McKean and Bill Sienkiewicz. Here, he's changed his style to suit the different story and tone and it feels like a Jim Fern/Geof Darrow fusion. In either case Rossmo is brilliant and a perfect collaborator for Kurtis Wiebe, who wrote both projects.

One way in which the story transcends its cliched story beats is in the nature of the threat. The beasts are mechas that seem composed of a lot of random junk (hence the "debris" of the title). There's a lot of mystery inherent in the plot as to where these come from. Who made them? And what happened toward the end of the story when it looked like a spirit of some sort rose from one as it was defeated? Now, THAT elevates the story to something I haven't seen before! And I'm stoked to see whatever weird mechas Rossmo will design before the series is over.

Gat art and an intriguing premise! And giant robot snakes and chickens out to getcha, to boot! What's NOT to like about that? Two issues have already been released in the meantime, and they patiently lie in wait in my pile for me to get to them. I'm already hoping for more Debris after this series ends!!!

#503196 11/25/12 11:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm putting these in Random Reviews because, while I enjoyed them, they didn't wow! me and I don't think they'd really target most of the people here.

Not My Bag by Sina Grace (Image) is the story of a young man's experience working as a salesman in a women's clothing department. He's placed in a boutique, within a department store, which caters to older women. Not his bag! He's very interested in fashion and would prefer to be selling some trendier stylist.

It's really a pretty vicious world, and he recounts his experiences with customers and other staff with humour. At the same time, he's trying to balance a relationship with a lawyer (who IMO seemed like the nicest character in the book), pursue his interest in creating graphic novels and escape the ghosts of past boyfriends. Happy ending, and he keeps the ridiculously fashionable, expensive and overly-warm wool coat he purchased on a whim!

As a former clothes horse, I really enjoyed this. Fashion is a fun and funny thing, but it has its unpleasant side and Grace captures this dichotomy.

An Elegy for Amelia Johnson by Andrew Rostan, Dave Valez and Kate Kasenow (Archaia). Amelia is dying of cancer. With not long to live, she calls on two people from her past to make a movie which would deliver her final words to family and friends. Henry Barrons is a film maker and Jillian Webb is a writer; they hadn't met before but they're thrown together to accomplish this special favour for Amelia. Sparks fly between the two, but they persist - uncovering or rediscovering both the good and the bad side of Amelia as they travel across the country, meeting other people involved with Amelia.

It became something of a Bogart/Hepburn style romance - lots of arguments and temper, then it all worked out in the end. The story is largely about them, but, always in the background is Amelia and her life, her choices and what she chose to make of them in the few years she had.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Lard Lad #762535 01/27/13 03:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Bedlam #3

Not for the faint of heart but surely one of the better story driven books out there. This issue is basically a conversation between antagonists and by the end I wish it moved a bit faster thinking the surprise at the end should have come halfway through the book rather than at the end.

The book has me on the side of the psychopath ... and annoyed with the headstrong cops.

If you are embedded in the typical comic book formula, you might be disappointed but if you'd like to try a great conversation story ... Bedlam is excellent in those regards.

I give it four flashing Power Boys.
SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX

Page 13 of 33 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Copycat Girl
Copycat Girl
Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters.
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star