Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/03/24 09:15 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:10 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:07 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Characters you hate
Rockhopper Lad #794923 11/16/13 02:17 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally Posted by Rockhopper Lad
Oswald Cobblepot. Everyone knows I love penguins, so everyone asks me if I like him. No.

I could see them casting you as The Penguin on ARROW... Hipper, Hotter, Younger... No...?? angel wink

Yk #794944 11/16/13 07:25 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It took me a long time to think of characters I genuinely hate. I am a fan of Emma Frost, but I don't hate Jean Grey. Then I remembered Vapora, who starred in a Daredevil comic book about accidents that can be caused by gasoline. She cannot be taken seriously as a villain.

I am not sure if Snowflame is worthy of hate or if he was simply a product of his time.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Yk #794991 11/17/13 12:16 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I am not sure if Snowflame is worthy of hate or if he was simply a product of his time.

I would say definitely a product of his time. And a little behind the times to boot. By the end of the 80s, cocaine wasn't hip anymore, even though lots of people still did it.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Yk #795004 11/17/13 04:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Snowflame is apparently one of those "Plan 9 From Outer Space" level characters as to my understanding.

I couldn't really think of any Legion characters to add except Earth-Man but I had forgotten about Atmos. He seems like a skeaz (at least his 80s version does) and I'm not sure if I should add him to my least of banned convention sketch characters if he actually used his powers to make Dream Girl love him, but, I don't think I'm gonna take the chance.

I'd also like to add the second Tarantula.

A few of the characters I have on my hate list are ones who've sexually assaulted someone else. Tarantula, Mirage, Deathwing, Doctor Light. Deathstroke committed statutory rape with Terra but apparently we were supposed to think more of her as a villain because she was a "slut."

Cinder's on there because she is just a ball of rape and abuse tropes in the worst possible way I am legitimately disgusted by her.

Yk #795011 11/17/13 06:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Snowflame has become well-known on the Internet because someone wrote a web-comic where he is the main character. He also is a recurring character on "Atop the Fourth Wall". Vapora is featured in an episode of the same series.

I can't bear to hate Earth-Man because the Tournament player in me absolutely loves his powerset. Sponge characters like him are always in top demand.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Yk #795013 11/17/13 07:53 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I have noticed that a fairly common part of being a fan of one character is feeling obligated to dislike their rivals (particularly romantic rivals, as if certain characters 'belong together' and anyone else in the picture must be bitterly hated for getting in between the One True Pairing). Loving Wolverine means that you have to hate Cyclops, for instance, or vice versa (occasionally with the squicky notion that Jean 'belongs' to one of them). I usually try to steer away from that, so that, even if I don't like the way Harmonia Li has been presented, I don't hate her just because I'd rather see Nightwind or Sun Boy as the Legion's resident air and fire controllers.

Similarly, my 'Wolverine fatigue' has more to do with him being over-exposed and kind of a celebration of anti-heroism, at times, than anything to do with my being fond of Cyclops (at least, when he's written well, under certain writers, he can annoy or disappoint me as well).

I don't even dislike Atmos, because it seemed like his mind control powers were made up retroactively to excuse Dreamy for their affair (when it was already established that she wasn't always faithful to Thom). It felt like he got thrown under the bus in an attempt to absolve Dreamy of any responsibility for her being a tad more libertine than Thom.

Same with Eros / Starfox, who was retconned into using his 'feelgood power' to seduce various women with 'super-roofies' (including She-Hulk) and then retconned right back out again (as his fling with She-Hulk is now considered to have been consensual and nothing to do with his powers). That sort of storyline is just bad business, and it seems to me that it gets trotted out without any sort of deeper consideration, and then either gets swept under the rug, retconned, or, as with Atmos, the character is pretty much never seen again, since he's been effectively ruined.

One type of character that I strongly dislike, on the other hand, is one that changes the tone of the entire story. Any appearance by G'nort, Ambush Bug, Lobo, etc. pretty much eliminates any potential for drama or serious storytelling, as it devolves into farce. Sometimes talking animal characters, like Howard the Duck or Rocket Raccoon or Talky Tawny can tread that line, just by appearing on panel, although I've seen some serious stories that managed to deal with them without a problem. But characters introduced *entirely* for 'bwa-ha' interacting with more serious characters tends to drag the serious characters down. Lobo, being one that is more likely to be interacting with 'serious' characters, is a prime offender, IMO, since he tends to make everyone else look stupid, bad or superhumanly out of character, just by dint of their required responses to his behavior. No matter how egregious his actions, Superman, Batman, etc. (whoever is present) just has to shut up and take it and be the butt of his jokes (or actual attacks), no matter how *ridiculously* out of character that would be for them. They get to look annoyed, and that's all, and, somehow, that's apparently supposed to be hilarious.

Marvel has it's own joke characters, like the Impossible Man (conspicuously absent for decades...), that similarly tend to show up to 'punk' everyone else, and it's apparently supposed to be funny, even though, even as a kid, I mostly found it weird that none of the super-heroes ever just chucked the prankster twit into the sun.

(I am reminded of that line in Watchmen, when Nite Owl and Silk Specter are reminiscing about a 'villain' who just liked to get beat up, and so ran into caped crimefighters to get off, and Rorshach ending his 'fun' by dropping him down an elevator shaft. If only there was an elevator shaft deep enough that Myxyzptlk couldn't find his way out of it...)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Sarcasm Kid #795033 11/17/13 11:34 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Cinder, Cheshire, Deathstroke, Osiris, Allegra Garcia, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Cyborg, Raven, Power Boy, Wonder Girl II, Hawk I, Jason Todd, Mirage, Deathwing, Deathstroke, Jericho, Terra I, Barry Allen, Doctor Light I, Starfire

All that hate... sigh ... How's therapy going, Sarky? wink

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Yk #795045 11/18/13 06:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Therapy?

"The other day I was so desperate for a Duff beer I snuck into a stadium after the football game and ate the dirt under the bleachers."

Yk #795046 11/18/13 12:04 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
lol

Yk #795449 11/28/13 01:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Also, I'd have to add Arcade.

Because anyone who thinks he can prove what a threat they are by making teenagers kill each other needs to get a life.

Or a pet cat named Mr. Snufflepies.

Yk #795461 11/28/13 06:20 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Arena is a comic I really can;t stand. Oddly, much like Countdown arena by DC years before.

Captain Atom was pretty much ruined at Armageddon 2000.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Yk #801574 02/15/14 10:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Also, I really can't say I find any of those Braddock Academy kids interesting at all. I either find them boring or annoying.

Yk #826202 10/26/14 08:19 PM
Psylocke, from X-Men 256 on. Actually, from Annual 11 on. No, actually, from X-Men 213 on.

Shame, really, because her first appearance in an American comic, New Mutants Annual 2, is one of my favorite comics ever published. But when Claremont started that whole "Princess Di on the outside, a tiger on the inside" thing, she gradually became the epitome of The Claremont Cliched Warrior Woman.

Sarcasm Kid #826213 10/26/14 09:39 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Also, I'd have to add Arcade.

Because anyone who thinks he can prove what a threat they are by making teenagers kill each other needs to get a life.

Or a pet cat named Mr. Snufflepies.

Indeed, I very much agree.

Yk #826231 10/27/14 06:00 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^^ that rules out every politician and ruler, ever...

Yk #826233 10/27/14 06:11 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Guess Sarky's not a big fan of the HUNGER GAMES Trilogy...

Yk #826271 10/27/14 03:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'd like to remove Starfire from the list I posted before.

Thinking on it, I don't hate her, but, she's not on any of my favorites list.

Cyborg and Raven stay on there, though.

Yk #826336 10/28/14 08:10 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Guy Gardner. For a long while I never understood why he kept showing up. He got a little better when he became less of an A hole and more of a republican A hole. At least he had a reason for it. I hated him less when he became Warrior.

Last edited by WangLung; 10/28/14 08:10 AM.
Fanfic Lady #826347 10/28/14 12:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Psylocke, from X-Men 256 on. Actually, from Annual 11 on. No, actually, from X-Men 213 on.

Shame, really, because her first appearance in an American comic, New Mutants Annual 2, is one of my favorite comics ever published. But when Claremont started that whole "Princess Di on the outside, a tiger on the inside" thing, she gradually became the epitome of The Claremont Cliched Warrior Woman.

Annual 2, was that the one with Mojo and Spiral turning some of the New Mutants into the Bratpack? And Psylocke was being controlled with those mechanical eyes?

WangLung #826368 10/28/14 02:03 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Pov
Guess Sarky's not a big fan of the HUNGER GAMES Trilogy...

I'm sure it was good, but I found it a bit distressing myself smile Real life is bad enough.

Originally Posted by WangLung
Guy Gardner. For a long while I never understood why he kept showing up. He got a little better when he became less of an A hole and more of a republican A hole. At least he had a reason for it. I hated him less when he became Warrior.

IMO he was at his worst during the JLI Era, like that time he broke Blue Beetle's ribs. Thankfully, he was a lot better as Warrior and in the reformed GL Corps.

Sarcasm Kid #826387 10/28/14 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

Annual 2, was that the one with Mojo and Spiral turning some of the New Mutants into the Bratpack? And Psylocke was being controlled with those mechanical eyes?

That's the one. I think it's Claremont's masterpiece.

Yk #826395 10/28/14 05:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have a commission of Magma in the dress Spiral gave her, and I loved the Jubilee character (Darla from the Bratpack).

Yk #826396 10/28/14 05:47 PM
A commission of Magma in that dress? Cool!

One of my favorite things about that issue was that Magma really put up a fight against the influence of Spiral and Mojo.

And I agree about Darla, I much prefer her to Jubilation Lee.

Yk #826676 10/31/14 05:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Everyone hates a Mary-Sue, and in this case, I'm hatin' on that chick in "Iron Fist" who starts out as a ditsy one-night-stand, then somehow becomes smarter, wiser, and more capable than even Iron Fist. (well, not really, but...) I think I read that Andrews based the character on his wife and it shows that a good amount of page-time is just a love letter to her.

Yk #826695 10/31/14 11:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So are we looking at another Nurse Annie?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,095
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SoM
SoM
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star