Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: E2 Alan Scott is the ex-straight "iconic male" DC character to be rebooted gay
#506908 05/24/12 08:42 PM
Eager Young Space Cadet
Eager Young Space Cadet
The most popular choices I've seen have been Vibe, Wally, or Ryan Choi.

I hope it's not Wally. All Wally needs is a new hero identity not a different sexuality.

"I have a ticket to the moon....but I'd rather see the sunrise...in your eyes"
Re: E2 Alan Scott is the ex-straight "iconic male" DC character to be rebooted gay
#506909 05/24/12 09:47 PM
Deputy
Deputy
CMK you're welcome to disagree but I would rather you understood my actual point and disagree with that if you like. I'm not talking about just any character, or new characters, or supporting characters. They are not going to take a risk of making Superman or Batman gay. That would reduce the character's significant monetary value. Batwoman was a new character (more or less:)), without any significant fan following and certainly no established multimillion dollar movie franchise.

While creating new characters who are gay (such as Kevin Keller) may make tiny fringe groups boycott the company as a whole, it's not the same as the as risking the biggest moneymaking properties' popularity with the still-sizeable American population that are uncomfortable enough with the idea that they'll skip a movie because "my Superman isn't gay". As much as the country has progressed, Rachel Maddow just mentioned tonight that gay marriage has still been voted down in EVERY state where the public has voted on it. (Hoping Maryland will change that soon!)

I would also point out that making Archie gay would have a similar reaction, but making Jughead gay would have a lot of people just saying "oh that explains it!"

#506910 05/24/12 09:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
It's not like Northstar is all that non-obscure to non-comic book fans.
Hey, never said Northstar wasn't obscure. He's relevant to this conversation only so far as he's Marvel's supposedly big concurrent gay splash. Alan Scott is less obscure than Jean-Paul Beaubier but not that much less. And if you boil it down to a blurb of "Green Lantern's Gay", you'd have to put an asterisk explaining that it's not the guy Ryan Reynolds played in that movie that bombed but a blond guy who was the original Green Lantern in the '40s who lives on a parallel Earth! Say WHAT?!?! scream

Yeah, in THAT sense Vibe would be a better choice. At least he's an obscure guy who doesn't require much explanation. I think that if DC's gonna have a big "mystery gay" tease like it is, then the pay-off should be bigger. Otherwise, why the big deal?

The goal to me should be for gay characters to be ordinary and accepted parts of popular fiction, not the equivalent of movies-of-the-week. Alan Scott being remade as a gay character and trying to get massive publicity for it sounds like a cheap afterschool special. Jimmy Olsen...well, that would've been worthy of all this hubbub.

I will say this for Marvel: them having a gay character, however obscure, get married is at least a viable political statement in a time where the topic is hot and in the headlines every day. If DC is simply reimagining Alan Scott as gay, how can that compare? It's just a cheap move on their part to say, "hey, we're LGBT friendly, too!" when they've already got a book headlined by a lesbian heroine. The fact that Batwoman is the first(?) Big Two solo comic book featuring a LGBT star speaks for itself, I'd say. Too "last year", maybe?

Leave it to Archie Comics to show them BOTH the way with their Kevin Keller character!

Crap, I need to stop rambling! I hope y'all get my point? smile

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#506911 05/24/12 10:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
And don't count Jade or Obsidian out. Gay men have been known to father children. Although storywise, even if Alan Scott was heterosexual, he needs to have contact with the ring/lantern/starheart before any kids he fathers get powers. So, you would still be looking at 10-15 years before you could have Jade or Obsidian. Although, comic years don't match real life years as we all know.
Yeah, after I posted that, I realized that Alan being gay wouldn't preclude him fathering children, so that was stupid on my part. Gay parenting in a mainstream superhero book would actually be another step forward!

#506912 05/24/12 10:25 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Alan Scott sure seems to be the front runner (hee-hee!). That would eliminate one of my favorite of all superhero romances, though-- between Alan and Molly Mayne, the supervillainess-only-to-catch-her-man's-attention and the original Harlequin. Yeah, ol' Harley Quinn and her obsession with the Joker exists as a variation of the original. Roy Thomas once considered adding a male Harlequin to Infinity, Inc. I guess that could happen, and I might even enjoy it, but I'd always miss Molly and her wacky expanding lute and goofy romantic m.o. I was slightly optmistic about the prospect of reading a 'modern' take on the original Harlequin (the only thing I was making lemonade out of the lemons of all the 'youthening') Sigh. Even the moves D.C. make in their new universe that I'd ordinarily like have some ramification that saddens me. Which means it most likely is Alan Scott. 'Cause I don't want it to be.

#506913 05/24/12 11:37 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Quis, according to Bleeding Cool , "sources" say it is indeed Alan Scott as you've suggested. They're not calling it confirmation, but history tells me BC's sources are much more reliable than they are not.

If this is the case, I'm not really upset. However, it does likely mean no Jade or Obsidian as we've known them. Both have a faithful cult following.

Again, I don't think doing this with Alan Scott is all that seismic in terms of DC making a statement. Given the alternate Earth setting and his obscurity to non-comic fans and to even some actual comic fans, the choice seems pretty "ho-hum".

The more I think of it, the more I like your logic behind the character actually being Jimmy Olsen over Alfred. It would have been much braver of DC, IMO, than Alan Scott. If sources are correct...oh well. shrug
Ya know ive been looking all night and besides delving in the "comments" section of the link you provided I have yet to read anything that quotes sources of any kind.

Can anyone link me directly to a "source" hinting or pretty much summing up that it is Alan Scott or anyone else for that matter?

#506914 05/25/12 04:10 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
While I'd love to see a major character turn out to be gay, I also hope it doesn't overwrite any GOOD established romances. We've already lost Clark-Lois and MJ-Peter in recent years.

When Obsidian was outed, I thought it was well-done because any heterosexual romantic relationships he did have were in the past. It's like if they turned Elongated Man gay - I'd hate it cause I love the Ralph-Sue marriage.

On the other hand, I've never relaly been a fan of Dinah-Ollie, so wouldn't mind Ollie turning gay (for example).

In any case, IF it is Alan Scott, and Obsidian is still extant AND gay too... that would make for some potentially good story-telling. Father-son bonding while checking other men out! Just as long as they bring Obsidian's boyfriend along. wink On a more serious note, Todd could be a mentor figure to Alan in a way - help him deal with being gay, if he hasn't gotten comfy with it yet.

Of course, since everything's being rebooted it's a pretty moot point but...

#506915 05/25/12 04:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
One of the Marvels would really be cool though!!!!
Captain Marvel Jr wouldn't be a surprise though ... wink

#506916 05/25/12 07:05 AM
strange but not a stranger
[b]And don't count Jade or Obsidian out. Gay men have been known to father children. Although storywise, even if Alan Scott was heterosexual, he needs to have contact with the ring/lantern/starheart before any kids he fathers get powers. So, you would still be looking at 10-15 years before you could have Jade or Obsidian. Although, comic years don't match real life years as we all know.
Yeah, after I posted that, I realized that Alan being gay wouldn't preclude him fathering children, so that was stupid on my part. Gay parenting in a mainstream superhero book would actually be another step forward! [/b]
Don't feel too bad as I originally had the thought of "I guess that would mean no Jade or Obsidian". Gay parenting is still a novel concept even for some gay people.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#506917 05/25/12 07:27 AM
The goal to me should be for gay characters to be ordinary and accepted parts of popular fiction, not the equivalent of movies-of-the-week. Alan Scott being remade as a gay character and trying to get massive publicity for it sounds like a cheap afterschool special. Jimmy Olsen...well, that would've been worthy of all this hubbub.
I agree that gay characters should be treated as ordinary and that their being gay is just another part of their whole character. But I would say that in the context of superhero comics, being a superhero is pretty ordinary. And if DC was going to have an existing character suddenly come from your state (or have some characteristic that you identify with & hasn't been seen in comics) would you want that character to be the hero or the supporting character?

I don't think DC is doing this just for publicity (of course the publicity doesn't hurt), so I expect that the character being gay is for good story telling and showing more diversity; and not as a movie-of-the-week deal.

The one concern I have in this regard is the character becoming the Steven Carrington of comics. Steven Carrington was the gay son on Dynasty, who then became straight, and then went back to being gay and then was straight again.

#506918 05/25/12 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Power Boy:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
[b]One of the Marvels would really be cool though!!!!
Captain Marvel Jr wouldn't be a surprise though ... wink [/b]
Neither would Uncle Marvel or Talky Tawny.

Althought you could add a fourth Lieutenant Marvel. Hill Billy, Tall Billy, Fat Billy, and Gay Billy

Hmmmm.... Gay Billy. Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah!

[Linked Image]

#506919 05/25/12 11:14 AM
Active
Active

I will say this for Marvel: them having a gay character, however obscure, get married is at least a viable political statement in a time where the topic is hot and in the headlines every day. If DC is simply reimagining Alan Scott as gay, how can that compare? It's just a cheap move on their part to say, "hey, we're LGBT friendly, too!"
Funny, I see this exactly the reverse. My guess is that James Robinson decided months ago that Earth-2's Alan Scott would be gay. No big deal, just one aspect of the character. Exactly in line with what you said above: ordinary and accepted.

Meanwhile, I see Marvel doing the calculation "hey, gay marriage is a hot-button issue right now, how can we capitalize on that to get some publicity?" and coming up with "well, we haven't made a big deal out of Northstar's queerness lately, let's hitch 'im up!"

After that, Didio's announcement was probably a typically tone-deaf response to Marvel's, making public an artistic/editorial decision that was already in the works. Maybe subsequent events will prove me wrong, but I doubt that, if it's Alan Scott, it happened because Northstar got married.

If either company is trying to exploit the issue, it feels more like Marvel to me.

#506920 05/25/12 11:22 AM
Active
Active
I will say this, though: the Northstar storyline has been very good. They seem to be handling the relationship with tact and sensitivity, whatever their possible motives for writing it.

#506921 05/25/12 11:42 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
It still strikes me that they'd be a lot better off taking a previously existing gay character (e.g. Obsidian) and working to make him an Icon rather than taking a previously existing Icon and making him gay.

Even sticking to classic JSAers, why not use someone whose orientation was less firmly established (I'm looking at you, Dr. Mid-Nite!)?

#506922 05/25/12 12:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Director Lad:
[b] The goal to me should be for gay characters to be ordinary and accepted parts of popular fiction, not the equivalent of movies-of-the-week. Alan Scott being remade as a gay character and trying to get massive publicity for it sounds like a cheap afterschool special. Jimmy Olsen...well, that would've been worthy of all this hubbub.

I will say this for Marvel: them having a gay character, however obscure, get married is at least a viable political statement in a time where the topic is hot and in the headlines every day. If DC is simply reimagining Alan Scott as gay, how can that compare? It's just a cheap move on their part to say, "hey, we're LGBT friendly, too!"
Funny, I see this exactly the reverse. My guess is that James Robinson decided months ago that Earth-2's Alan Scott would be gay. No big deal, just one aspect of the character. Exactly in line with what you said above: ordinary and accepted.

Meanwhile, I see Marvel doing the calculation "hey, gay marriage is a hot-button issue right now, how can we capitalize on that to get some publicity?" and coming up with "well, we haven't made a big deal out of Northstar's queerness lately, let's hitch 'im up!"

After that, Didio's announcement was probably a typically tone-deaf response to Marvel's, making public an artistic/editorial decision that was already in the works. Maybe subsequent events will prove me wrong, but I doubt that, if it's Alan Scott, it happened because Northstar got married.

If either company is trying to exploit the issue, it feels more like Marvel to me.[/b]
DL, there's little doubt in my mind that, assuming it's Alan Scott, it was probably originally a creative decision by James Robinson. But it just feels like DC felt they had to tease this the way they have in advance because of what Marvel did. Otherwise, they probably would have just let it unfold and allow fans to react after the fact. To me, the most important LGBT character in comics is still Kate Kane, so if DC really wanted to legitimately toot their own horn on the subject, they could always point to their Batwoman book.

As far as Marvel being worse for what they've done with Northstar, I'll differ again. Northstar has been out for well over a decade and was intended to be gay by his creator John Byrne, though editorial policy o the time wouldn't allow Byrne to explicitly show this on-panel. Further, Northstar's relationship with Kyle has been shown for some time and was really front-and-center during the recent Alpha Flight series. Yeah, maybe it feels exploitative given current headlines, but it didn't come completely out of nowhere. So I respect Marvel for that.

#506923 05/25/12 12:30 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I'll add to Lardy's comment that it would be weird, maybe even off-putting, if Marvel wasn't hyping Northstar's impending marriage. Hoopla around superhero marriages is common for both The Big Two. Why wouldn't they hype this one, just as they have all the others?

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#506924 05/25/12 12:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I agree with Lardy that Earth-2 and confusion with the main GL disfavor Alan Scott.

I still think Atom makes the most sense.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#506925 05/25/12 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
[b]Apparently the One Million Moms group has heard about this and Northstar's upcoming wedding and are none too pleased.
Yeah...1 million if you count each of them a couple hundred times. [/b]
lol

A shopkeeper in CA has contacted the Angry Mommy Brigade and requested that they specifically picket his shop. He thinks it'll be good for business.

(link)

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#506926 05/25/12 01:11 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I would SO do that too if I had a comic shop!

Years ago I said I wouldn't bother to write a book unless someone promised me in advance to ban it.

#506927 05/25/12 01:14 PM
Shining Son, just pick a local bakery or used car lot that you want to drum up business for, and send that address to the Angry Mommies. It's not as if these people know anything about comics anyway, so I'm guessing they'll just show up there without bothering to research first.

Hijinks ensue. laugh

#506928 05/25/12 05:24 PM
Active
Active
I have no issue with Alan Scott being gay. It will be interesting to see how it develops, if true.

But *iconic*? C'mon....

Non-comic reading person:
(reading a Internet blurb about GL being gay) "Oh wow, that Green Lantern guy from the movie and cartoons is gay now?"

Fanboy friend:
"Well, no, it's his alternate dimension counter-part."

Non-comic reading person:
".... what?"

"are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over- an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist."

-Tobias Funke
#506929 05/25/12 05:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
agreed. Iconic implies not just a big name within comics, but one that has permeated outside of the usual comics fanbase.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#506930 05/25/12 07:07 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Alan Scott gay? ...well... he *has* always had a weakness for wood... laugh angel shocked wink

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#506931 05/25/12 07:13 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
The Gay Lantern? hmmm

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#506932 05/25/12 07:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Nobody has made a "Pink Lantern" joke yet?

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Policy Pam
Policy Pam
Tartarus
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star