Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Batman & Robin
#509070 06/04/09 06:30 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Since it's a new series, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Really liked it. Even though it follows up on everything in the Bat-books for the past year (obviously), it goes off in it's own direction and is totally accessible.

Morrison brings his trademark craziness to the Circus of Crime, and introduces a truly creepy villain in Pyg.

The "Dynamic" between the Dynamic Duo is great and played well, especially with Alfred in the middle. Can't wait to see the first time Dick has to reel Damien in.

The preview pages at the end also dropped some interesting clues. It looks like it's going to be a wild year.

Re: Batman & Robin
#509071 06/04/09 09:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I liked it. Accessible is the right word, Rogue. I didn't read the Battle for the Cowl stuff but slipped right into this story. Quitely is at the top of his game.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#509072 06/07/09 09:43 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I enjoyed the issue, too. Mr. Toad and Pyg are colorful new villains. I like that this Robin's a gearhead, but I'm already tired of his attitude.

The flying Batmobile made for a fun chase scene.

But I'm still not sold, to put it mildly, on Richard Grayson in this role once again.

#509073 06/07/09 11:08 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I generally enjoyed it, although Quitely's art still gives me the willies, even where it shouldn't. I know he's super special artiste, but I don't get the adulation most of the time. At least I can follow what's going on, which was often a problem with Daniel's pencils for Morrison. Morrison & Quitely clearly have a working relationship that makes the best of Morrison's material. There's a wonderful economy of storytelling in this issue that I really enjoyed and admire. It's spare, but not decompressed. The whole sequence of moving out of Wayne Manor and into the new downtown sanctum was accomplished with just visuals and incidental dialogue and no exposition beyond Quitely's cutaway drawing. But the density of storytelling in that scene is wonderful. Quite good stuff, that.

Other than that scene, I think what I liked best is the portrayal of the characters really needing each other. It's clear that Dick, for all his talents, needs Damien the @$$-hole to keep him on track as he assumes the Bat persona. It's equally clear that Damien desperately needs Dick and Alfred to learn how to not be an @$$-hole. It's been a LOONNNGG time since I've read a Batman/Robin story where I felt like the partnership was so essential to both characters. One drawback of Morrison's Wayne is that he was SO prepared for anything that you never really felt that he NEEDED Tim's Robin. Tim was a new adopted son and a solo guy, not really a partner. This dynamic duo really has a duo dynamic -- neither could function in costume without the other. That's really interesting and cool.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#509074 06/08/09 09:07 AM
Deputy
Deputy
One thing I just don't get is the new flying Batmobile. When it's on the ground, it looks like a pod-car from Woody Allen's Sleeper. How can THAT possibly be intimidating to the criminal element? And it flys by swinging it's fenders out, or is that some other appendage?

But I really liked "Hmf. Crime is doomed." That made my day.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#509075 07/02/09 11:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
B&R #2 is out. And Grant is addressing some of the same points we've talked about here on Legion World.

I liked seeing this Circus of the Strange, and Quietly makes them look truly freakish.

Only the second issue and there's already drama between the dynamic duo.

Just spouting off.
#509076 07/03/09 05:31 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Issue #2 was probably the best single issue I've read this year. It was so fun, dynamic and just generally well done. The fight with the Siamese Triplets was great ("Robin, step out of the way"). I also liked the character moment between Dick and Alfred that really defined Damien for both new readers and those who haven't really thought about the kid too much. I wish Quietly was doing all 12 issues, but I'll be happy to see where they go after this arc regardless.

#509077 07/14/09 02:29 PM
Active
Active
I will of course read anything Morrison and Quitely do. They do not disappoint one bit here. The Circus of the Strange is truly disturbing. Hell, Pyg almost makes the Joker look like an amature.

Is that a moon?
#509078 07/28/09 07:52 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So far...okay.

Two things I really like:

(1) The Circus of the Strange - Grant at his mad best.

(2) Frank Quitely art - this is saving the title for me thus far.

I'm having a hard time not wanting the Joker to kill Damien with a crowbar. Its bad when you're rooting for a little kid to be crow-barred.

Dave Hackett #871269 10/02/15 10:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I liked the concept of Scarlet, but I hated how DC spoiled that she was going to be mutilated when they released the solicits for B&R #4 right after the first issue came out with Scarlet's appearance shadowed over in the preview section at the end of the issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,084
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star