Roll Call
0 members (), 78 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Return to DC
#510629 12/17/08 11:00 PM
W
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
W
I'm preparing to get back into comics after many years away (I don't think I've bought a new comic in 10 years -- and it was probably 10 years before that when I slid out of regular comic buying/reading). Even though I've been away, I've managed to keep up on various odds and ends going on in the DCU (which, incidentally, I've always preferred far and away over the overly pretentious and emo Marvel). However, the DCU landscape seems to have changed so much that I'm not sure exactly where to start.

So far, I've decided to pick up the modern editions of series/characters I originally read way back when (i.e. early/mid-80s). That would give me as definites --

Legion of Super-Heroes (even though it's ending, but I'm also getting L3W and plan on getting the Lightning Saga and Supes and the Legion TPs when they come out). I'm definitely putting Adventure on the list.
Justice League of America
Justice Society of America (loved me some A-SS back in the day)
Wonder Woman
Titans
Teen Titans (New Teen Titans and LSH were probably my 2 favorite things in the world in the early 1980s)

I'm also getting
Action Comics
Superman
Supergirl(I've heard good things about all 3 and I loved 'Daring New Adventures of Supergirl'. Good to see Kara back. I've made sure to order all chapters of the New Krypton storyline)
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps. (again, I've heard good things about the GL books and read GL/GLC intermittantly in the mid80s)
Booster Gold (again, I've heard good things and I read the first year or so of the original run)
Final Crisis (I was a COIE junky way back when even though I hated the fall out and screwed up continuities. I'll probably pick up the TP of the tie ins).

I've thought about getting Trinity, but geez that's a lot of books each month. I'm also serious considering getting the tail end of the run of The Flash in prep for Rebirth (which I'm definitely getting).

Any other suggestions for required reading? I have no interest in any of the Bat spawn. Don't think I've read an issue of anything Bat related since COIE. I thought about picking up Outsiders since I loved the original series (especially liked Katana and Halo's friendship), but from what I've read, the current series is iffy. I've also considered GA/BC because I've always liked BC, but GA has always annoyed me for some reason.

Re: Return to DC
#510630 12/17/08 11:13 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I'm enjoying Trinity.

Even though it is ending, you might want to pick up Birds of Prey. You can pick up the trades. Lots of Black Canary mostly Green Arrow free.

Welcome to the Legion World.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#510631 12/18/08 05:29 AM
Leader
Leader
Yeah, I'd second the recommendation for Birds of Prey. There are a few trades out now and it's pretty much all good stuff. The early issues (by Chuck Dixon) are primarily just Oracle and Black Canary with a few guest stars and rejuvinated both characters so that they're now major players in the DCU (both in terms of the story and the marketing) and the later ones are by Gail Simone who really took the characters and made them her own. I'm not sure if any of the post-Simone issues have been collected but the series has carried on being very enjoyable.

I'd also recommend Manhunter (which, again, only has a couple of issues left) as it's easily my favoutire superhero title out there. There area few trades which are well worth picking up and with any luck they'll collect every issue soon enough. Manhunter is a new character at the start of the series so even with a couple of crossovers and major supporting characters that already existed (like Mark Shaw, Chase and Obsidian) it shouldn't matter that you've not read much of DC recently.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#510632 12/18/08 08:25 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
You're already getting most of the best stuff: GL, GLC, Booster Gold, JSA.

I'd also reccomend Jonah Hex if you're considering a non-superhero title. Its utterly fantastic right now.

And Secret Six, which recently just started, is already starting to appear to be the best DC comic to come around in ages! I highly reccomend that. Its by Gail Simone (writer) and trust me, when you see her name, it usually means its something good.

#510633 12/18/08 08:32 AM
W
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
W
Yeah, from nosing around various places, I've learned that Simone is one of the major names in writing right now (along with Geoff Johns). Secret Six might get added to my list eventually because you're not the first person to tell me that it's good. I might have to add that to the list. Is S6 a limited series or an on-going?

#510634 12/18/08 11:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Its an ongoing but there were two limited series that came before it:

(1) Villains United - which was a mini that lead into 'Infinite Crisis' in 2004-2005. Despite that, its an excellent story, a great introduction to the team and doesn't really have much confusing continuity references. I highly reccomend.

(2) Secret Six (new team vol. 1) - a great 6 issue mini with the team's second adventure, also highly reccomended.

(3) There is also a six-parter where the Secret Six crossed over into Birds of Prey (also by Gail Simone) that is also quite excellent. Not sure of the issue #'s or if its been collected in a TPB...hopefully someone can tell you.

But the new series is an ongoing and #1 is a great starting point--you could always fill the rest in later. Actually, I think just about any issue you pick up is a good starting point with this series because its so well written.

#510635 12/18/08 02:53 PM
W
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
W
Well, I've gone ahead and ordered the current issue of S6 as well as all the back issues of the current run (minus #1 which seems to be unavailable where I'm ordering from). I think 3 issues should be enough to determine whether I add it onto my perminant list. lol

#510636 07/05/10 08:12 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So...I wonder what comics Wonder Lad has stuck with in the last two years?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Ibn al-Nezumi
Ibn al-Nezumi
Indojapan, Earth
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star