Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 08:27 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/07/24 08:07 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Bulletproof Coffin
#511355 06/24/10 06:50 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
In my never-ending search for awesome comics that might have slipped under my radar in years past, I picked up The Bulletproof Coffin by Image Comics—and found it pretty damn impressive! So much so that I turned on my laptop just now to come post about it seconds after putting it down. I read many, many new comics books each month and out of all of them, I found this one to be impressive enough to get its own thread rather than “Any Recommendations?” or “Random Review Corner”.

Regarding the premise, I can only tell you this: it’s pretty damn offbeat and almost impossible to describe. There is a storyline, characters, and overall plot, but beyond that there is a strong sense of self-awareness about it, referencing the creative team and fake comics of ages past that enhance both the storyline and the constant sense of ‘weird’ going on.

More than that, there is some good subtle commentary about comic book history as a whole and anyone with a strong sense of the history of comics might enjoy the story based on that alone. At issue’s end there is a 3-page ‘essay’ that is more a story supplement providing some backstory (like TMK Legion’s story pages at the close). Here, writer David Hine invokes the corrupt beginnings of DC and Marvel (mob ties and all), the Big 2 crushing out their competitors over the years, and artists such as Steve Ditko growing disgusted with the industry. Yet despite what could be overly serious subtext, Hine pokes fun at all of this slightly, making it a more colorful and humorous history.

The series is very firmly influenced by the Late Golden Age of Comics and that is paramount throughout. In those years of the post-WWII Golden Age and pre-code 50’s comics got away with EVERYTHING in terms of sex and violence and an overall sense of the bizarre and shocking. Right in the middle of #1 a faux-Golden Age comic resurfaces, about the same length of an average Golden Age back-up (6-8 pages) and it feels so late Golden Age in its weirdness and bizarre nature that I was blown away by it. The story packs a wallop of a punch in its dark nature but its so quick it leaves you wondering “what the hell just happened?” The protagonist is the “All-Seeing Eye” who deals out vengeance in ways that would make the Spectre squeamish, and he would fit right in at Fox Feature Syndications in terms of the violent, gory nature of it, as well as Centaur Comics (which never made it into the WWII Golden Age, being the first major publisher to ever die out in comic books) based on its plain ‘out there’ premise.

The writer is David Hine, as I said, who is currently providing the best Dick Grayson-as-Batman stories in Detective IMO. I recognize Hine from past Marvel & DC projects but only recently has he stood out for me more as a solid writer, and I’m looking forward to his taking over the current Spirit series. He’s a great writer but its only here in his creator owned work that I feel he’s really opening up and just going for it. He’s revealed a side to him I haven’t seen previously: he’s actually quite a funny writer! And he’s weird.

The artist is Shaky Kane, who I almost has to believe is a pseudonym or something, and I’m really enjoying the work quite a bit! There is a Mike Allred type feel to it with an overall sense of weird, yet aesthetically pleasing artwork that feels cartoony and Golden Age inspired.

Between writer & artist, the storyline itself did not let the odd premise and subtext did stop me from being drawn me into what was going on. I actually felt the sense of foreboding and nervousness at the close of the issue that I was intended to feel when Steve (the lead) decides to go back to the Mansion at night. That was well done.

An article I read today on CBR or Newsarama mentioned that this comic and some others by Image are becoming popular with the younger indie comics crowd and I can see why. There is so much good going on here that I’m committed for the rest of the 6 issue mini.

A solid read and I recommend to anyone looking for something completely off the beaten path or someone who is very knowledgeable of comics history.

Re: The Bulletproof Coffin
#511356 06/24/10 07:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just noticed CBR has the complete first issue in their previews archive.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#511357 06/24/10 07:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, I saw that, too, Arachne. Apparently issue 1's sold out already. I don't normally read comics online, but I'll probably give this issue a whirl based on Cobie's recommendation when I have time.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#511358 06/24/10 07:55 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Definitely check it out guys and let me know what you think. It falls into the 'unlike anything else I'm reading' category which always gone a long way with me.

Glad to hear it sold out!

#511359 06/24/10 07:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, Image seems to be doing that a LOT lately with little indie books that come outta NOWHERE and bit the comics world in the ass before it even realizes it! Maybe they should advertize them better? shrug

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#511360 06/24/10 08:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I definitely plan on checking it out, Cobie. After I finish reading Secret Six. (When did Nicola Scott's art get that good? I thought her work was a little too cartoony before this.)

#511361 09/08/10 11:38 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Issues #2 and #3 were also mind-blowingly awesome! The series has become even harder to describe than before, yet I can tell you this is one damn good comic!

Everything I said about #1 continues to apply, but I'll reiterate how awesome the "comic within a comic" is each issue; the second one had a gruesome superhero crime comic that would have fit right in 1951, and the third had "Ramona, Queen of the Jungle", which is very reminiscent of the white jungle queen stories of the 1940's (led by Sheena).

What a groovy comic. The weird factor is there in spades, yet there appears to be leading somewhere that will be satisfying in terms of a larger narrative.

#511362 09/08/10 06:27 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was hoping you'd post about this again. smile Before I got a chance to read this, my motherboard died and left me computerless for a month. I knew there was something I wanted to read, but I couldn't remember the title.

#511363 11/15/10 08:02 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
With the 5th issue on the stands, Bulletproof Coffin is approaching it's end, and wow--what a strange trip it's been! Up until now, at times I was questioning whether this was just an indulgence in being weird; with the latest issues, I now see the masterplan behind it all and it brilliantly ties it together while maintaining it's "Tribute to the Golden Age of Weird" attitude.

No doubt, this series has made me a true fan of both David Hine and Shaky Kane hereafter. nod

#511364 01/10/11 03:25 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
One of the highlights of 2010 wrapped up just in time for me to review it for Comic Book Review Month, and that is The Bulletproof Coffin. I’m tempted to call it a ‘masterpiece’ but I feel like that would almost be an insult since the comic doesn’t take itself that seriously—rather, it was just a damn good, complex comic with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Writer David Hine and artist Shaky Kane (which I’ve learned is indeed a pen-name) have a chemistry rarely seen these days and click on so many different levels that it’s a joy to see. They also end up being two supporting characters in the story. No worries though—they don’t become heroes and it isn’t done in a way that lets the creators gorge themselves on indulging fantasies of being comic book characters; rather, it’s a pretty tongue-in-cheek sequence that subtly plays up the theme of the story.

And that theme is a firm indictment of the Big 2. Whereas the previous five issues were more subtle in indicating Marvel and DC and the fact that corporate lawyers and shareholders profit off creators work, the final issue is as overt and on-the-nose as you can possibly get. And actually, it was pretty strong stuff!

My favorite part of the series was the call-backs to the Golden Age and the 1950’s (as well as other eras). You don’t really get that in #6, since they are wrapping up the general story, but it remains prevalent, building off the previous issues.

The artwork by Shaky Kane was really fantastic and he has a style unlike anyone else. I’ve definitely walked away from this series as a fan and will follow him to whatever he does next.

Meanwhile, Hine has won me over BIG TIME between this, the Spirit and his brief run on Detective Comics. I’ve developed a lot of respect for him as a writer.

I can see Image Comics using this miniseries as a flagship item to promote creators rights, particularly against Marvel & DC’s long histories of abuse towards creators. If I worked at Image, I certainly would. Even beyond that, however, the comic exists squarely as an entertaining, well-done story that is an enjoyable read on it’s own.

#511365 02/22/12 01:16 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
So Arachne & Lardy, I hope you guys eventually picked this up (or pick it up eventually), as I can't praise it enough. I won't rehash everything I said before, but I'm still blown away by how much I enjoyed it.

Hine & Kane have started a second mini which is now out, Bulletproof Coffin: Disinterred. This one seems to be taking a slightly different approach, with each issue focusing on one of the "heroes" they introduced in the first mini. Issue features the Shield of Justice and Lady Justice.

All I can say is...these guys are totally crazy. And in the best way possible. The story is so totally off the wall, that I was smiling from ear to ear by the last page. Within you have effectively two narratives: what the lead character / narrator believes is happening and what is (very likely) really happening. Never once does the narrative break away from its seriousness, forcing the reader to sit back in horror / ammusement as events unfold. It's about as well done as I've ever seen it before.

Once again, Hine & Kane have hooked me for six issues. Their collective 'voice' in this series is totally unique and I'm looking forward to more of it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,188
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Merlion Man
Merlion Man
Singapore
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star