Roll Call
0 members (), 118 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:25 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/28/24 08:39 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:30 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:26 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I'm sick and tired of suckling comics corporate greed...
#517522 01/10/04 01:32 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
... and being forced to buy 1/6 of an eventual TPB each and every month in all my monthly titles!

It's gotten so bad that I'm seriously thinking of swearing off this hobby until the worm turns (which it will.)

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
Re: I'm sick and tired of suckling comics corporate greed...
#517523 01/10/04 01:37 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
KP, I agree with you 100%. Almost every Marvel comic that I buy is based on the idea that it is 1/6 of a trade paper back. From long drawn out stories in Avengers, to never-ending stories in Hulk, and so on and so forth, Marvel has absolutely no title that can be called "bang for your buck". I love Supreme Power, Amazing Spider-man and Daredevil, but even these titles are pushed to be trades.

And DC is starting to do it too, which is too bad. Hopefully books like Catwoman won't be forced into this hole.

The industry is calling it "padding", and I hate it. Some books can get away with it, but most can't.

#517524 01/10/04 03:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This story padding (although I think of it more as "thinning") is an awful trend. Sometimes I feel so ripped off with a title. I've dropped a few because of this - and buy very few superhero books other than Legion now. Even in the trade version, the stories read quickly.

You seem to get less of that in the non Marvel/DC books. I've gotten a mix of trades and individual issues for A Distant Soil and Strangehaven- the single issues have things like letter columns (remember those?) or creators' comments, while the trades add extra sketches.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#517525 01/10/04 03:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The thing about this...

DC books I like are far less likely to be TPBed... so I'm gonna keep buying them every month.

and even some Marvel titles (THE INHUMANS) that I love aren't likely to see TPB treatment, so I'm gonna keep on keepin' on every month.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#517526 01/10/04 03:57 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Up until a year ago, I collected HULK, THOR, DD, ASM... I dropped 'em when I realized I just wasn't enjoying them. Stupid editorial decisions have thinned out the rest of my Marvel herd back down to one or two books after a recent resurgence in what I considered quality titles from them. But looking back, the number 1 reason I dropped the first those titles originally was the God-awful TPB mentality. Daredevil in particular was a title I wanted to enjoy, but the TPB story-spread got to be too distracting. I miss the old days of single issue complete stories and the cliffhanging two-parter.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#517527 01/10/04 05:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Pov, that's exactly how I feel. I collect with my Dad and uncle, and since we have the entire runs of Thor, Hulk, FF, Spidey, Iron Man, etc., we just keep collecting all those titles, even when they aren't that good, since we know they'll eventually go through a period where they'll great again. But right now, I look at all the Marvel titles that we collect (all of the 'classic' titles plus a few extra), and I find that I'm not really enjoying most. DD, ASM and Supreme Power are about it, with Alias and New Mutants as two others that I enjoy.

It seems that some writers, Peter David on Captain Marvel and Geoff Johns on Avengers, really didn't want to adapt to the TPB format, and their writing suffered for it. Other comics just seem to drag on and on, never-ending, like Thor, Iron Man and Fantastic Four especially. And then there are some comics you can read in under a minute, the biggest examples being Uncanny X-Men and Ultimate X-Men. This TPB format has pretty much screwed up the writing on all of these books in different ways.

Forty years ago, Jack Kirby could have fit the last twelve issues of any of these books into ten pages of action. The original Galactus saga would now take at least two TPB's to be told, and it wouldn't be done any better. If Marvel really expects a random customer to shell out $2.99 for a book that can be read in under a minute, they must be crazy.

#517528 01/10/04 07:31 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I agree with you KP! We can all thank Bendis for this stupid trend.

Just what we all need, more lies about a world that never was and never will be

-Evanescence "Everybody's Fool"
#517529 01/10/04 08:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Leviathan6033:
I agree with you KP! We can all thank Bendis for this stupid trend.
What did Bendis have to do with it?

And considering the current state of the market, is it greed at this point or "scrambling to make a buck"? (although it was their greed that got the industry into this situation in the first place, of course)

#517530 01/10/04 09:17 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
... and being forced to buy 1/6 of an eventual TPB each and every month in all my monthly titles!
Wouldn't it be cool if, by buying all the individual issues in a story arc, you could merge them together into a collected edition that includes special content not otherwise available to those who wait and buy the TPB later?

Maybe I've got Transformers on the brain... OptimusPrime

#517531 01/11/04 05:30 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Wizard listed Bendis as its best writer for 2003, this is part of what they said about him- It's worth noting that Bendis' successful character driven, slow burn five and six parters in Ultimate Spider Man have set the tone of Marvel's entire line, evident in its made for tradepaperbacks arcs from Incredible Hulk to Runaways.

Just what we all need, more lies about a world that never was and never will be

-Evanescence "Everybody's Fool"
#517532 01/11/04 05:51 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Bendis IS a good writer. But I see an editorial mandate these days, at Marvel especially, to try to wring as many TBPS as possible from the monthly books, which means that many writers are being encouraged (or pressured, if you care to look at it that way) into writing this way as well, and I don't think the style fits every writer. I don't feel gypped by a Bendis book. I DO feel gypped by the last 2 arcs of Avengers. UGH!

And don't get me started on the Ultimates. If you look at the characters and situations the first 12 issues of Avengers took on back in the 60's...

I know, different writing style, different era, yada yada yada. And comics were 10 cents. I just want to get my money's worth for my $2.99 per comic book and I feel that the publishers are less and less concerned with giving my my money's worth when they can slap a $20 price tag on a TPB 6 mos. down the line. It's just irritating.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#517533 01/11/04 09:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
It definately is encouraged and pressured. Peter David has come out and said that they've asked him to make his arcs more adaptable to TPB's.

And Neil Gaiman said that Marvel wanted him to have 1602 be 6 issues, but then he couldn't do it in under 8. Since he's widely accepted as a comics genius, he was able to convince them to let him do 8 issues and have a bigger trade, like his last Sandman arc.

So there is without a doubt an editorial push for these long drawn out arcs.

#517534 01/12/04 12:05 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I know how this feels!

I bought "Ultimate Six" by Bendis and I'm really not liking it at all. The story's just too slow and those huge panels...wow! It's supposed to be cinematic...sheesh...! Conversely, with JMS on "Supreme Power", I don't mind the exposition at all, as each issue either advances the action or the characterization.

However, I did like the 2 "Y: The Last Man" TPBs. Vaughn's writing is compelling! Thing is, even if his stories are 6 issues long, Vaughn's able to make every issue fantastic in its own right, moving the story along quite nicely without that "padded" feeling.

Geez, they even have a PC word for "padding" now..."decompressed storytelling"! grrrrr....

Igee The Mighty!
#517535 01/12/04 02:16 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I do dislike it when you buy a comic and read it and its like nothing really happened. Everything is in the same place because the writer doesn't move the story forward at all to continue the arc. I usually drop books like that.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,981
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Catonyx
Catonyx
Badlands
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star