Roll Call
1 members (Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand), 34 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
June is Gay Pride Month
#530760 06/10/05 01:07 PM
strange but not a stranger
OP Offline
And this weekend is gay pride in Boston. It looks like it will be a great weekend weather-wise.

So Happy Pride to everyone (even the straight people - the Pride is in being true to yourself in spite of what others say or do)

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Re: June is Gay Pride Month
#530761 06/10/05 01:19 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
RainbowGirl

#530762 06/11/05 01:01 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Props to my gay brothers and sisters. Word.

I used to get high on life, but I built up a tolerance.
#530763 06/11/05 01:10 PM
Active
Active
A big Woof to all of ya.

Looking for Earth Prime.
#530764 06/11/05 01:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just remember NOT to visit that Bars Toilets again........ wink

Hope you have a grand weekend Quis. Raise a glass for Gigi and I

Faithfull
#530765 06/11/05 04:36 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Please don't take this the wrong way.

It's not meant to be an insult to anyone, merely to help me understand. It's something that I've been wondering for a long time, and just can't fathom in my own very limited environs.
I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Please.

Why is there a perceived need to be 'proud' to be gay?
Surely being gay isn't something that people choose. It's not a life choice. It's something that you are.

In the same way that I don't choose to be hetero - it's just the way that I am. It's not something that I'm proud of (not that I'm embarrased about it either).

You don't see Hetero Pride marches.

If gay people want to have a march then fine, great, go for it. I'm all for that, standing up for your individuality etc. etc. Great. It would probably be a lot more fun than a sraight march.

But 'Pride'? I just don't get it.

Even though I don't get it, I still wish everyone who goes along to one the best of times. Have fun.

Hic!
#530766 06/11/05 04:54 PM
Applicant
Applicant
hey ghost its because gay people are a minority. coming together at these pride events show that we are a community...and that there is strength in numbers
wink

#530767 06/11/05 06:02 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I understand where your question is coming from Numf-El though I don't know if I can give an adequate answer for it.

I can only give you my perspective of the situation and don't claim to speak for any other gay people.

Gay 'Pride' is a tricky word and I understand why it would rankle some straight people, just as black 'Pride' may rankle some white people. It kind of implies that the person who has something to be proud of has done something that the other person hasn't. That they've achieved something extra and are therefore better than the other person.

But as you say, being gay is just something a person is - like being white, or right-handed or good-looking. So what exactly is their achievement? What have gay people got to be 'proud' of?

Well there's this - its a sad fact that the world today is still not a very nice or safe place for gay people. OK there may be safe pockets and thank your lucky stars if you live in New York or San Francisco or London but the vast majority of the world is still extremely unfriendly toward homosexuality. And even in the safe pockets there are still many reasons why a person may choose to hide their sexuality, be they career or family or peer group or whatever. So it takes a very strong, courageous person, no matter where they are in the world, to make that decision to come out of the closet and announce to whoever will listen that they're gay - thereby exposing themselves to a lifetime of potential hurt or abuse or abandonment.

So my main reason for going to these marches (though I've never been on one - just watched from the sidelines) is to celebrate my pride in being able to come out of the sad, lonely closet I was hiding in for so many years (and though it was a miserable place, it seemed a lot easier to stay in that simple little straight world I inhabited than to throw a bomb under everyone and everything I knew) and branch out on my own as a gay man. I think that was a very brave step on my part, probably the bravest thing I've ever done in my life, and I'm *proud* of the fact that I didn't chicken out of it and carry on living a lie.

So that's one reason for my going on a Gay Pride march. There's another one too. My coming out of the closed was a courageous little step for me, and I'm proud that I did it, but the only person whose life it changed or improved was my own. No one else's. And since I've come out I've done very little, if anything at all, to make any real changes or improvements to the lives of other gay or sexually confused people. I've just chugged along with my own little life.

However there are some people, be they gay or straight or whatever, who have done some wonderful things, and continue to do them, to improve the lives of gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered people. They organise, rallies, they lobby politicians, they stage protests, they expose injustices, they provide medicines, they improve education, they save lives... These people go out of their way to make my life as a gay man easier, safer and more enjoyable. And I'm *proud* that these people are out there fighting for me and people like me and often for very little credit. And I like to show that pride in my own small way by going and supporting their march every year at Gay Pride.

So those are my reasons for going to Gay Pride Numf-El. I'm sure other people will have their own but they'll all be equally valid. Pride's one of those funny emotions - we all feel it differently.

Hope that helps.

#530768 06/11/05 06:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Today was also Memphis' gay pride parade thingie. I didn't go... I never have. I'll be doing my pride celebrating tonight.

It was cloudy all day, threatening rain which never came... YET, anyway.

So I came up from my workout a few minutes ago. Outside my window was a rainbow in the sky, right over Midtown. Very fitting. I got such a kick out of it, I had to post about it!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#530769 06/11/05 07:01 PM
Active
Active
Well, LASH, at least you knew the parade was today. I had no idea until some friends called and wanted to know if I was going, since it STARTED ON MY STREET! I walked down and met a bunch of them and watched it. It was a small parade, but it was still nice. We then went to Cafe Ole (a Mexican place for you non Memphians) and I had a couple of margaritas which hit me hard after a couple of weeks without alcohol! Of course, they are all going out tonight (Dance Diva AMBER is at the one big gay club tonight), but I had to go home! My partner is out of town and I just can't hang with those boys without a proper chaperone!

Anyhoo, happy PRIDE boys! Hope you all have a good night!

#530770 06/11/05 07:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
it's gay pride in l.a. too!! the parade is sunday.

but a seriously downplayed pride this year.... seems weird.

#530771 06/11/05 07:20 PM
Active
Active
This parade in Memphis was more political than I expected. There were a couple of groups advocating gay marriage, another supporting our troops in Iraq, and the final entry was a pickup truck full of lesbians with a cage in the back containing a mannequin made to look like George W. Bush!

#530772 06/11/05 08:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm sure there's something gay pride-like going on in NYC, but I sure don't remember when. I have no idea whether or not I'll make it down there for the parade.

Dan
#530773 06/11/05 10:26 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Originally posted by Ghost of Numf-El:
Please don't take this the wrong way.

It's not meant to be an insult to anyone, merely to help me understand. It's something that I've been wondering for a long time, and just can't fathom in my own very limited environs.
I'd appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Please.

Why is there a perceived need to be 'proud' to be gay?
Surely being gay isn't something that people choose. It's not a life choice. It's something that you are.

In the same way that I don't choose to be hetero - it's just the way that I am. It's not something that I'm proud of (not that I'm embarrased about it either).

You don't see Hetero Pride marches.

If gay people want to have a march then fine, great, go for it. I'm all for that, standing up for your individuality etc. etc. Great. It would probably be a lot more fun than a sraight march.

But 'Pride'? I just don't get it.

Even though I don't get it, I still wish everyone who goes along to one the best of times. Have fun.
Gay pride events developed to counter socitey's demand that gay people should be ashamed.

#530774 06/12/05 06:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, I continued celebrating Gay Pride today by watching a marathon of AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL season 1 on VH1 and eating chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream all day, and GIRL! Let me tell ya, that TOP MODEL show is awesome!! Can't believe I didn't watch it before.

Elyse was amazing, but her likeability factor got her booted before Shannon. I already knew Addriene was gonna win from her stint on THE SURREAL LIFE-- in fact, she's the reason I decided to watch the marathon.

I was most amazed by ROBIN, the 4th place girl-- I thought she was about the hottest woman I've ever seen, and even her hardcore religous beliefs, super-bitchiness and overall diva-ishness wer fascinating. Loved her accent too!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#530775 06/12/05 06:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
robin is HILARIOUS! how she starts singing during that argument and forces everyone to hold hands and pray!!!

i think she may have a few screws loose.

#530776 06/12/05 06:51 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I know!! I just found myself mesmerized by everything she did!!

#530777 06/12/05 07:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
And now I can continue y gay pride celebrating by watching STRIP SEARCH... and then KEPT.

Is it just me, or is VH1 the new BRAVO network?

#530778 06/12/05 09:06 PM
Active
Active
I have never watched America's Next Top Model, but KEPT just may be the reason reality TV was invented. GREAT show!

Also watched that Project Runway wannabe, "The Cut". It was aiight.

#530779 06/12/05 11:32 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Blacula and Awkward Pause Boy - many thanks for your helping answering my question. It's much appreciated.

Hic!
#530780 06/13/05 08:24 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by ferroboy:
I'm sure there's something gay pride-like going on in NYC, but I sure don't remember when. I have no idea whether or not I'll make it down there for the parade.
Usually New York's is the week after Boston's. Actually. Boston usually finds out when New York's is and goes with the week before.

There is some coordination of dates between the two cities as I think some groups march in both parades.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#530781 06/13/05 08:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Elyse was amazing, but her likeability factor got her booted before Shannon. I already knew Addriene was gonna win from her stint on THE SURREAL LIFE-- in fact, she's the reason I decided to watch the marathon.
Was Elyse the pixie-haired "token anorexic"? (there seems to be one every year) I liked her a lot too. Even though I picked Adrienne from the very beginning, I almost went with Elyse for my own personal feelings but I knew she wasn't going to walk away with the top prize.

#530782 06/13/05 09:11 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Originally posted by ferroboy:
[b] I'm sure there's something gay pride-like going on in NYC, but I sure don't remember when. I have no idea whether or not I'll make it down there for the parade.
Usually New York's is the week after Boston's. Actually. Boston usually finds out when New York's is and goes with the week before.

There is some coordination of dates between the two cities as I think some groups march in both parades. [/b]
Actually Boston is always the second weekend in June, and NYC's is always the last, so there's usually one weekend, though sometimes two in between. I was out there marching with the Frontrunners... the heat was sweltering! The fact that it started about an hour later than scheduled didn't help any either. Well... at least I had the flag football team behind me to look at. smile

And Elyse on ANTM ROCKS! Her pics are stunning, and her diatribes in the confessionals were HILARIOUS! She's actually modelling quite a bit overseas, so apparently med school got put on the backburner because she's in very high demand in Japan and Europe. Her current portfolio is up on her website (which unfortunatley I don't have any longer) and it's breathtaking.

#530783 06/13/05 09:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not sure if it's necessarily a Pride Month activity, but next weekend I'm going to the Southern Maine Gay Men's Choir summer concert in Portland. I haven't been in a couple of years, but it's always been a fun time in the past smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#530784 06/13/05 04:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yep, Drake, that was Elyse. Actually, she would have been my pick to win the whole shebang if I hadn't known about Adrianne beforehand.

Bubbles, I'm really not surprised to hear that Elyse is still modeling. Of all the girls that went to Paris, she was the one that took the city BY STORM, they absolutely loved her there. There was no way she would be able to walk away from that (or that Europe would LET her!).

I honestly think she would have won it if she had the likeability that Adrianne had.

Wacky Robin was still my favorite, though!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,115
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star