Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Scam Alert!
#531396 04/05/08 11:45 PM
World's Oldest Boomerang Kid
OP Offline
World's Oldest Boomerang Kid
I received a scam e-mail saying "Your PayPal account will be suspended yadda yadda unless you renew your information."

I suspected a scam and decided to send nothing, but I clicked the link to examine the site and Firefox fingered it as a scam site promptly.

Lots of these scams exist, claiming to be from PayPal or your credit card company or your bank or whatever. Beware!

May Her Imperial Majesty the Empress Glorith splorp all the scammers back to protoplasm! smile

If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.
Re: Scam Alert!
#531397 04/06/08 10:34 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I get these messages from time to time. You can forward it to spoof@paypal.com and they will get back to you promptly with confirmation that it's a scam.

I don't know anything about Firefox, but I wouldn't open a link without knowing where it came from; doing so can lead to viruses and other unwanted guests on your computer.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#531398 04/06/08 10:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Also, ladies, if you open the door and man tells you he's the Federal Breast Inspector and he needs you to lift your shirt, don't do it!

He just wants to see your boobs.

Wayne@OZ
#531399 04/07/08 06:06 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Drat!

I would've gotten away with it if not for that meddling Star Boy!

Styx laugh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#531400 04/07/08 07:24 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I get these emails all the time.

Since I've never used PayPal and don't have a PayPal account, they are particularly amusing.

I printed out a few of the ones supposedly from my bank and took them to the bank to show them, and got some particularly odious twerp who said, 'What am I supposed to do about this?' and I kinda lost it and said kinda loudly, 'You are supposed to at least pretend that you care about the security of this bank and people scamming the customers, at least to my face, and then, after I've left the building, you can throw the scam-mails in the wastebasket! Don't you know anything about customer service?'

He got a talking too, and the nice lady who was his boss said all the right things. I imagine that after I left the building, she threw the emails out anyway, but at least she knew how to make me feel like she cared. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#531401 04/09/08 06:44 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:

I don't know anything about Firefox, but I wouldn't open a link without knowing where it came from; doing so can lead to viruses and other unwanted guests on your computer.
Firefox (from Mozilla) is probably the best browser available and it's free. It has a wealth of add-ons that you can install to customize it. My favorite is it's AdBlock Plus feature.

#531402 04/12/08 08:43 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Pov:
Drat!

I would've gotten away with it if not for that meddling Star Boy!

Styx laugh
I am the Fun Police.

Now lift your shirt.

Wayne@OZ
#531403 04/12/08 01:14 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I'll do you one better...

I'm not wearing one...! ElasticLad wink

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#531404 04/15/08 09:17 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Pov:
I'll do you one better...
I'm not wearing one...! ElasticLad wink
Dare I ask about pants? shocked

In a vague attempt to get this back on track - I'd suggest Firefox as well, and never to follow links in e-mails. A legitimate sender will always have a web portal that offers more security than an e-mail does. Firefox has add-ons to improve security, as well as good inbuilt features like identifying potentially dangerous links and possible phishing scams.

Wayne@OZ
#531405 04/15/08 10:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Also banks and any company should never allow you to transmit vital information over an open unsecured link. They always use an encrypted site. This means their websites that you post account information to will be "digitally signed" with a signature usually from a company called Verisign.

If unsure you can save the certificate and send it to Verisign to ensure that the site actually belongs to the company in question.

Firefox is a good option, as is IE7 which implemented the firefox features like a phishing website alert. A red bar appears on your browser if you click on one of those fake paypal sites for example.

Also people why do I get access to a dozen unsecured wireless networks if I walk down the street. Secure your wireless routers. Or you end up like these poor folks.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...less_Network_080408/20080408?hub=SciTech

or worse some government agency will post to neo-nazi sites using your connection.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/410352

You should use the WPA-2 with AES encryption. WEP is not strong enough because someone who really wants to use your network can use something called the birthday paradox to brute force an opening your network usually within 30 minutes. Unfortunately this means some older gear like the Nintendo DS will not work with your wireless net (only supports WEP).

#531406 04/16/08 04:40 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Star Boy:
Also, ladies, if you open the door and man tells you he's the Federal Breast Inspector and he needs you to lift your shirt, don't do it!

He just wants to see your boobs.
When my ex-wife was in labor with our daughter a doctor came in with a group of interns. There were about 10 of them I'd say.

The doctor asked a few questions and then told the interns if they'd like they can ask us questions. He walked out and all of the interns save one walked out. He was a nerdy pathetic looking geek who then asked my ex if here breast were sore. He then said he would like to examine her breasts. I almost killed him. Needless to say he left the room...quickly.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,961
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pariscub
Pariscub
Edinburgh, Scotland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star