Roll Call
0 members (), 60 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 09:48 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BBC's Green Wing..I think these people are on acid.
#545649 12/15/08 12:58 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Seriously.

wink

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: BBC's Green Wing..I think these people are on acid.
#545650 12/15/08 01:47 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Green Wing = Channel 4.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#545651 12/15/08 04:27 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I BBC is channel 4, right?

Something pithy!
#545652 12/15/08 05:21 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Uh... no. Channel 4 is an entirely separate broadcaster, funded by advertising (which the BBC doesn't carry). It has its' own secondary digital channels, marked by the cunning linking device of a "4" in the title (More4, E4, Film4, 4music).

Your post is the equivalent of "NBC is FOX, right?"

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#545653 12/15/08 05:29 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by Reboot:

..."NBC is FOX, right?"
Give it another six months.

Grrrr...

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#545654 12/15/08 06:27 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
My apologies. I have very limited knowledge of English broadcasting. I was given to understand that in england the government owned the broadcast stations. I shall find the person that so misinformed me and flog them immediately.

I'm envisioning yarn and microlight cats claws with barbed tips.

Granted, this person is now approaching their 70's, but still...

wink

Something pithy!
#545655 12/15/08 07:07 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
My apologies. I have very limited knowledge of English broadcasting. I was given to understand that in england the government owned the broadcast stations.
England =/= Britain...

#545656 12/15/08 08:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Now you've gone and done it Rickshaw.

At least you didn't call Scotland, "England." A million engineers looking to creatively rearrange your DNA, you don't want.

#545657 12/16/08 02:27 AM
Leader
Leader
I suspect Green Wing is shown on BBC America though, yes? Like So Graham Norton and Spaced (I think), Channel 4 programmes often get shown on BBC America because of a deal they have with the BBC. Basically the BBC is funded by the licence fee and the goverment and so carries no advertising. ITV and Channel 5 (plus most of the satellite stations) are private companies that geta teeny amount from the licence fee but primarily are funded by advertising. Channel 4 is a slightly odd entity in that while it does raise revenue from advertising it also gets a fair amount of it's money from the licence fee and the government and a lot of it's prgrammes are either filmed at the BBC studios or have some BBC input. The same thing is true of S4C (the Welsh language version of Channel 4). So you'll often get shows on BBC America which aren't actually BBC programmes because they were made by Channel 4. Assuming that they're all made by the BBC isn't an ucommon mistake and pretty understandable really.

As for England/Britain... tut tut, very bad form old chap. It's like saying 'Texas' instead of 'USA'. Or, well, not really, but sort of. tongue

And Green Wing.... absolute bloody genius. It's complete mayhem and incredibly silly but just some of the best TV for years. Channel 4 do seem to hit the mark more often than not with their comedy (Spaced, Father Ted, Green Wing, Black Books, The IT Crowd, Smack The Pony), possibly because the writers and cast are given mroe free reign to do what they like. Of course Green Wing also benefits hugely from the presence of the unutterably marvellous Tasmin Greig, who is one fo the finest actresses and comediennes we've ever produced to my mind. Everyone else is great too though, and they clearly had a huge amount of fun making it. A ot of it is improvised and if you w3atch carefully often the reason that they speed things up at the end of a scene is so that you can't see the cast laughing.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#545658 12/16/08 08:15 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well (said while cleaning fingernails with a pocketknife), I ain't got much learnin' when it comes ta places oudda tha US. After all, I went ta pubic high scool. We'uns din't get much lernin their. wink

Okay, all joking aside, i have heard it used interchangably over the years and honestly didn't know that it was seperated. I thought things like Scotland and Ireland were provinces, like states. Thats the beauty of Legion World, someone always ready to correct mistakes, lol.

Something pithy!
#545659 12/16/08 08:40 AM
strange but not a stranger
My understanding is that the English think England and Britain are interchangeable, while the Scotch, Welsh, & Irish don't.

Wikipedia article Then click on the link "British Isles (terminology)"

And in the sense that technically the various states are sovereign in their own right, they are like England, Wales, Scotland, & Northern Ireland. But I think the people in Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland are more aware of their sovereignty than the people of the various US states.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#545660 12/16/08 10:10 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Bevis:
Basically the BBC is funded by the licence fee and the goverment and so carries no advertising.
The only part of the BBC which is funded by the government is the World Service (their radio station broadcast outside the UK).

Originally posted by Bevis:
Channel 4 is a slightly odd entity in that while it does raise revenue from advertising it also gets a fair amount of it's money from the licence fee and the government and a lot of it's prgrammes are either filmed at the BBC studios or have some BBC input.
1) It doesn't get money from the licence fee or the government at present (although that may change). The only support per se it gets is free spectrum for broadcasting.
2) Channel 4 doesn't make it's own programmes. ALL of it's programmes are made by "independent production companies" (including ITV!) and simply broadcast by it. Some of the programmes are made at BBC TV Centre, yes, but so are some ITV programmes these days - anyone willing to pay can do so.

Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
...while the Scotch, Welsh, & Irish don't.
"Scottish". "Scotch" refers only to whisky.

#545661 12/16/08 10:35 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Well (said while cleaning fingernails with a pocketknife), I ain't got much learnin' when it comes ta places oudda tha US. After all, I went ta pubic high scool. We'uns din't get much lernin their. wink
Even more confusingly, American "public schools" = "state schools" in Britain, while British "public schools" = "private schools" in the U.S.!

#545662 12/16/08 10:38 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Jillikers! Plus, in London they have this dish where they take all the leftover vegetables from the day before and make a big mash out of them--and people love it! At first, I thought it was alien food! smile

#545663 12/16/08 10:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Feh as the First Earl of Durham said of Canada (that other mess of a state the English created) the UK can be described as, "Nations Warring in the bosom of a single State".

And I don't believe that the US States are sovereign in the same way Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or Quebec are. I believe y'all fought a war that determined that the States had surrendered their national sovereignty to an Indissoluable Union.

#545664 12/16/08 11:04 AM
Scraps of OR have threatened to secede and join Western Canada. Typically, nobody has asked the Canadians whether or not they wish to be demeaned and cheapened in this fashion. To say nothing of having to share their discount pharma and fly a cheesy flag with a big conifer in the middle .

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#545665 12/16/08 12:30 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
And I don't believe that the US States are sovereign in the same way Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or Quebec are. I believe y'all fought a war that determined that the States had surrendered their national sovereignty to an Indissoluable Union.
The constitutionality of that war was highly suspect, to say the least. One of the most unfortunate aspects of American history is that defending "States's Rights" became synonomous with defending institutionalized racism, which help to contribute to the gradual eroding of state power in favor of the federal government, which also had the effect of significantly weakening one of the most important balances of power in the Constitution, as originally conceived.

#545666 12/16/08 03:29 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
"I believe y'all fought a war that determined that the States had surrendered their national sovereignty to an Indissoluable Union. "

Yep, it was called the war of Northern Aggression.

wink

Something pithy!
#545667 12/18/08 02:15 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
By the way, i've heard all my life that the "english" are much more classy and witty than we are, that their shows are much more funny.

Gotta tell ya, from what i have seen, its just a matter of the grass being greener. Sometimes literally. Green Wing, while funny at times, and suprisingly tedious at times, is far from what i would believe to be "classy", and in fact, is about as filthy in some respects as it gets.

Coupling...funny, funny show, but not really classier than say Mary Tyler Moore.

Now, thats not a shot at our cousins from across the sea. Wouldn't want them to take it that way. Just trying to be honest here.

Something pithy!
#545668 12/19/08 01:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
rickshaw1, it's the problem I've always had with British humor I guess. I saw the Green Wing and it did nothing for me. Mind you I've only seen one episode. I would have to give it more of a chance.

Monty Python is another one that doesn't do anything for me. I always thought that I was from a mostly spanish neighborhood here in Florida and never really Americanized all that much. Might be a translation thing for me. (and yes I am americanized I just never heard of some American terms, etc. Don't worry I'm not a stereotype. smile )

Billy Connolly on the other hand (and other british stand-up comics) I think are bleeping hilarious!

#545669 12/19/08 02:25 PM
"I believe y'all fought a war that determined that the States had surrendered their national sovereignty to an Indissoluable Union. "

Yep, it was called the war of Northern Aggression.

wink
On a plaque in a cemetary near my house it is called "The Rebellion". The date of the plaque is 1919.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#545670 12/19/08 04:42 PM
Every time this thread pops up, I misread the title as "BBC's Green Wine..."

I'm a little embarrassed about that, especially since I don't think that either England proper nor its sibs are exactly renowned for the stuff. smirk

#545671 12/23/08 04:42 AM
Leader
Leader
By the way, i've heard all my life that the "english" are much more classy and witty than we are,
Heh, the whole 'classy' thing is an odd one. The image of what 'class' is I think is something that comes (in modern tersm anyway) almost from an American point of view as to what the English are. There's a perception that we have a classy accent and attitude at the expense of Americans themselves, despite the fact that it's not rerally true. In the same way while a lot of our comedy is much more based on witticisms so people think all our comedy should be classy too. In fact we have a fine tradition of absolutely filthy comedy in a way that you just don't get in America. We're oddly prudish about sex in some ways, but when it comes to comedy there's very few things that aren't open game.

I think though there's a lot of British comedy that is very much the kind of stuff that people either find hilarious or can't stand (or maybe just don't find funny). For every person you meet who loves the surreality and filth of Monty Python or Black Books you'll meet someone who just doesn't find it funny. I think that's a good thing though. In the UK there's space for almost every type of comedy (I hate The Office for example, but a huge number of people love it) whereas up until farely recently in America comedy was all very much of one type that didn't want to cause any offense or alienate any viewers (in the mainstream at least, and certainly not with regards to stand up where mericans are just as boundry pushing as any Brits). That's changed recently with a lot of fairly mainstream US comedies pushing the boundaries much more. In a world where we're told culture is all becoming homogenised and all the same I think the way that US comedy is broadening and playing with the idea of what's funny can be no bad thing.

Ogh, and thinking about it probably the 'classiest' comedy of all time is probably 'Frasier', which is one fo the most American sitcoms ever but still incredibly classy and clever and witty in a way that people think British comedy has the upper hand.

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
#545672 12/24/08 03:10 PM
Hmmm... about Python... I find it to be much like my favorite U.S. comedy. In the sense that it's a superb mash-up of both highbrow and lowbrow comedy. My favorite comedians or comedy shows on either side of the pond are the ones where they get that balance juuuust right. It's that contrast, and that sense of something-for-everyone, that wins my dark little heart every time.

I just got mr_cleome to watch The Good Neighbors on Hulu with me. They ran that on PBS when I was a kid and I loved it. Still a funny show, and oddly ahead of its time, given all the trendy "urban agriculture" talk going on in my neck of the woods now.

Also a big fan of As Time Goes By. I want to hunt that one down again, one of these days.

#545673 07/19/09 04:06 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I keep seeing the dvds for the good neighbors on netflix. I may get it just to see it on your recommendation.

Something pithy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,992
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kid Metal \m/
Kid Metal \m/
Kansas City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star