Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 30 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 08:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 06:41 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The official Avengers movie thread - SPOILERS
Ann Hebistand #948239 04/28/18 11:42 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Really, in the first quarter of the 21st Century, the whole "mass murder justified by the ends" trope rings an especially false note.

Especially if you are, as I am, reading Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker, and are being educated in how small and simple changes to cultural and social norms over the past couple of centuries have relieved billions of suffering, and improved the quality of life.

And by ‘small and simple changes’, I mean such minor things as hand-washing, crop rotation, the dawning realization that woman are human beings, 'trade pacts' rather than 'peace treaties' and the occasional overthrow, exile, or death of “swaggering, overbearing, tin-plated dictators with delusions of godhood”.

“Any jackass can kick down a barn, but it takes a good carpenter to build one.”
- Sam Rayburn

“As a matter of cosmic history, it has always been easier to destroy than to create.”
- Mr. Spock, Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

My 14-yr-old grand-daughter was upset by the 'ending'.
“Don’t worry,” I told her. “Thanos is lying.”
“Don’t spoil it for her,” said her mother.
“What? I haven’t seen Part Two,” I said. “But why would there even be a Part Two if Thanos isn’t lying?”

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Klar Ken T5477 #948259 04/28/18 06:14 PM
strange but not a stranger
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477

My 14-yr-old grand-daughter was upset by the 'ending'.
“Don’t worry,” I told her. “Thanos is lying.”
“Don’t spoil it for her,” said her mother.
“What? I haven’t seen Part Two,” I said. “But why would there even be a Part Two if Thanos isn’t lying?”

I don't think it is so much of Thanos lying as it is Dr. Strange seeing the one future where they ultimately win and what needed to happen.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Fanfic Lady #948480 05/01/18 10:46 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Probably not a huge shock, but I didn't like it. I found it poorly paced and extremely repetitive. It seemed like every second scene was a play on "would you sacrifice an individual you cared about for the greater good?". It felt forced the first time and then they hit us with it at least three more times. Obviously the ending is reversable, Marvel's not going to flush away several cash cows though it was somewhat interesting that

They killed everyone except the team from the first film, meaning the band will get back together next film to save the day

I wonder if they address any of this in Ant-man?

Dave Hackett #948486 05/01/18 02:20 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
I wonder if they address any of this in Ant-man?

From the tone of the new Ant-Man trailer, this movie seems to be set before the events of Infinity War, because it seems really unlikely that the ending of Infinity War won't have been a big deal in the Ant-Man sequel, otherwise.

In fact,
it might be the plan to have them sort of concurrently, so that the Ant-Man and the Wasp storyline occurs as events are unfolding off-screen, and mostly on other worlds or far away in Wakanda, with the big 'half the world fades to dust' event happening in the last minute of the movie, setting up Lang and, hopefully, Hope, to come in for the Infinity War sequel (and personally motivated by various dustings, such as Cassie and / or Hank).

The movie was super busy, with perhaps more moving parts than it needed. I'm tempted to go watch it again, just to see if it makes a little more coherent sense. I'm reminded of Age of Ultron, which was also 'too much' for me (although I liked it a lot more than Age of Ultron).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Dave Hackett #948504 05/01/18 09:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Probably not a huge shock, but I didn't like it.

Not surprised. At all. Not even in the slightest.

lol

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Fanfic Lady #948533 05/02/18 03:31 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I thought it was great! Not in my top 20 greatest movies or anything but I'm totally satisfied.

I saw this and haven't even watched Dr Strange, Spider-Man, Wonder Woman, Justice League or Black Panther yet. I'm glad I picked this one.

Fanfic Lady #948535 05/02/18 04:39 PM
I have not seen Spiderman

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Fanfic Lady #948582 05/04/18 06:41 AM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
I finally saw it - I loved it from beginning to end. Some thoughts - WARNING - SPOLERS NOT SPOILER-BOXED -

While I never liked Thanos as a villain in the comics, and I think of his motivations for mass-murder to be extremely contrived by the writers, I think the CGI team did nothing short of a spectacular job rendering his facial expressions with what I thought looked like genuine emotion. He looked sad, he looked regretful, he looked world-weary, he looked satisfied. His thought processes are extremely twisted and evil, but you get the sense that he genuinely feels.

I like that there wasn't some big reconciliation/apology moment between Tony and Steve. Sure, heroes put aside their feelings for the sake of the universe, but PEOPLE find it very hard to put aside their shame and embarrassment.

I did not like that Gamora's declaration of love for, and first kiss with Quill, happened in this movie rather than in a Guardians movie. I guess the writers (maybe with James Gunn's input?) felt a need to make that happen before Gamora was taken by Thanos, but characters with their own movie series should have their big character moments happen in their own movie series.

Missed opportunity: Rhodes shoos away General Ross before Banner enters the room. It would have been nice to see what would have happened if Ross had actually encountered him. (Although, realistically, Ross wasn't unaware that Banner was an Avenger in the first two movies, he just wasn't on screen. So maybe nothing.)

Spider-Man's death scene was heartbreaking, a real teenage-feeling moment. But on the other hand, having him among the dying when we know he has a sequel coming up (unless, I suppose, Avengers 4 introduces Miles Morales and the Spider-Man sequel featured him rather than Peter?) lessens the impact of all of the deaths.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
Fanfic Lady #969460 04/07/19 11:24 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Avengers: Endgame is coming! eek

Run, run, run for your lives! XS TornadoTwins

No, no, don't run *to the movie plex*, run *away from it*! mad

Just kidding. Kinda sorta.

I'm not gonna watch it, though. At least not until it's available for home viewing.

Call me bitter if you will, just don't call me 20 dollars poorer. lol

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fanfic Lady #970392 04/29/19 01:04 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Just saw Endgame

A LOT of threads and characters to juggle.

That is all.

Fanfic Lady #970393 04/29/19 03:58 AM
Active
Active
I just realized that Captain Marvel marked the point I had seen less than half of the MCU. So the chances of me coming back for Endgame are... not good.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,222
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Fat Cramer
Fat Cramer
Café Cramer
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star