Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 42 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/08/24 03:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/08/24 03:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 39 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 38 39
Re: THE WALKING DEAD tv show
#548441 11/28/10 10:16 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wow. Great episode. Enough scenes right from the comic, and a lot of new stuff.

WTF is up for the next episode? That looks seriously messed up.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#548442 11/28/10 10:28 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Next week looks to be totally off the comic... who knows what they're gonna do... but I did NOT like what I was seeing with Andrea...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#548443 11/28/10 10:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The previews flashed by so quickly it was hard to discern their meaning. It looked like Andrea was undergoing decon and freaking out?

I flipped thru the first trade after the episode...

Coulda sworn there was a scene similar to Rick and Shane in the forest, but there wasn't.

In the comic Andrea shot Amy immediately after she died.

Also, Jim's scenes from being bitten to being left were all within a few pages, all after he went into a berserker rage on the zombies that attacked the camp and unleashed his pent up rage over what happened to his family.

I like how the show made its changes on these aspects. All enhanced the original material very well. I might have ket Jim's rage scenes, but they did some fabulous things with the character. I'll miss him. frown

I have no idea what will come out of the CDC encounter in the finale, but I'm interested to see! Meanwhile, a few non-spoilers (things that WON'T happen in the finale) that I've read:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">No Merle, Morgan or prison to be seen.</span></span>

No idea whether a certain character survives into Season 2, but I've a hunch he/she will based on the slow-burn feel of how that plotline's being handled.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#548444 11/28/10 10:53 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
POSSIBLE 2ndHAND INFO SPOILER!!!

I believe I have heard that certain character WILL DEFINITELY BE surviving into season 2.

I believe I read it at EW.com.

And I believe I am OK with this.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#548445 11/28/10 10:54 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
re: The changes you list, I so agree they enhanced the episode and I *also* could have sworn the forest scene with Rick and Shane was lifted straight from the comic. Crazy.

#548446 11/29/10 04:38 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
WOW! Last night's ep watched by more viewers than the premiere! That NEVER happens these days!!!

#548447 11/29/10 05:27 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Truly amazing!!

#548448 11/29/10 05:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Necro-tastic!!!

#548449 11/29/10 08:11 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So I like EW.com a lot, and THEY like TWD a lot so there's lots of articles and then people posting about it and stuff.

I'd say 90% of those fans have never read the comic.

A lot of them are calling TWD, "My new Lost". I never watched Lost. So, those that watched LOST, my question is: Is TWD the new LOST? If so, what makes it the new LOST?

(an EW aside: One of the EW writers called Adlard AdLER. I posted: "I hate to go all comic-book geek on your butt, but his last name is AdlARD." I got a e-mail response thanking me for catching the error; I responded back that I love EW and love that EW loves TWD. smile

#548450 11/29/10 08:36 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by ML LASH:

A lot of them are calling TWD, "My new Lost". I never watched Lost. So, those that watched LOST, my question is: Is TWD the new LOST? If so, what makes it the new LOST?
I'd say the thing about TWD most reminiscent of Lost at this point is occurring in these last two episodes with the CDC. The scenes of the scientist alone in there reminded me somewhat of similar stuff done in Losts's hatch.

If TWD decides to make the show largely gravitate around the mystery of what happened with the outbreak, then it would feel a lot more like Lost. Obviously, the comic has rarely lingered much on that aspect and has always been much more about survival in such an apocalyptic scenario along with the social implications. I hope the TV series sticks to that and that the CDC stuff doesn't shape the series into that kind of show. I love Lost, but I'm not looking for something that tries to ape it. I honestly don't think that TWD will be doing that.

To me, though, calling TWD "my new Lost" is more about how it potentially is the next show to inspire a huge cult following and of it being another high-quality show with a sci-fi bent. I suspect that is more what the posters meant by that comparison.

#548451 11/29/10 08:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by ML LASH:
(an EW aside: One of the EW writers called Adlard AdLER. I posted: "I hate to go all comic-book geek on your butt, but his last name is AdlARD." I got a e-mail response thanking me for catching the error; I responded back that I love EW and love that EW loves TWD. smile
NEVER forget the LARD!!! laugh

#548452 11/29/10 08:45 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Kirkman himself recaps every episode over there, and he did seem to prefer to want to keep the focus on the people fighting to survive and not the WHYS of it all.

He also stated that the comic will ALWAYS be the road the TV show travels, with the ocassional off-road excursion.

He also seriously laments not being able to go back in time and insert Darryl into the comic, something I (am surprised that I) find myself agreeing with.

#548453 11/29/10 08:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I absolutely LOVED Darryls expression when when Carol was taking care of her half eaten husband...over and over. You just know it's messed up when he looks at you like you're nuts.

#548454 11/30/10 07:25 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Adi Tantimedh makes some interesting points against the show:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11...76-more-dead-more-walking-less-braaains/

Agree? Disagree?

#548455 11/30/10 07:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ok, a few complaints from me (why am I always the stinker?):

Spoilers from the book follow:

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I'm a bit of a purist so I don't like the detours from the book (hate the Lord of the Rings films too BTW), but I'm living with that barring a few exceptions:

It seems that some of the stuff they are changing is so they can play it safe.

They seem to be diverging form the Shane death, mostly because they don't want to put a gun in a kid's hand and deal with that. Imagine the flak they'd get from groups of all political stripes for having a ten year old killing with a gun, even on cable? But it's still an important and serious part of the book and marks Carl's development.

The polygamist relationship has been dropped, though a bit of a Andrea/Dale bond formed here. That was another important indicator that societal "norms" were out the window, it was strange to just drop it.</span></span>

#548456 11/30/10 09:51 AM
G
Active
Active
G

#548457 11/30/10 06:35 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
***spoilers from the book***

Dave, regarding the "polygamist relationship" being dropped, to this point there has never been one portrayed in TWD. If you're referring to Dale, Amy and Andrea, there was never any polygamy involved there. Dale simply took the two under his wing and they stayed in his RV. There was never any sex or romantic elements in there until after Amy died when Dale and Andrea began having sex during their stay at Wilshire Estates. From that point on, Dale and Andrea were a couple.

It's true that Donna thought there was something going on among the three at the campsight, but Kirkman clarified that that was just her spin on it, especially as he made such a big deal of their consummation scene.

If you're referring to Carol wanting to have a polygamous relationship with Rick and Lori, that happened during the prison era. Still, Lori and Rick never went along with it, which helped lead Carol to her suicide (along with other factors).

I agree that polygamy would be a natural theme to explore during the TWD story, but so far the series has had none to adapt from the source material.

#548458 11/30/10 06:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Iam Legion:
I love the Comic series. I like the TV series a lot. However if ____ does not die (and within the first 2 episodes of the second season) and die at the hand of _____, then I will stop watching the show. That part of the story is nescesary.
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I agree that Shane's death shouldn't be altered, but I've nothing against the show exploring things at more length and depth than it was in the comic. At this point I have no solid reason to doubt that Shane will eventually die by Carl's hand. The show is slowly setting up for a confrontation to be sure. I doubt I would drop the show if his fate is different, but I'd be disappointed.</span></span>

#548459 11/30/10 08:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
Adi Tantimedh makes some interesting points against the show:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11...76-more-dead-more-walking-less-braaains/

Agree? Disagree?
First off:

"they basically rejected the use of metaphor subtext and satire in the story, as if deeper thinking and layering in storytelling was a bad thing."

I think there is a big assumption on his part here. I took their stance to mean that they were not trying to make a "Dawn of the Dead" consumerism type analogy witht heir story...not that they were not going to have deeper thinking and layering.

I see a lot of different thing happening in the first 6 episodes. I also think that the writer is not taking into account that they had no idea that they would get a second season until well after the shooting for the first season wrapped. Sure they hoped, and probably set up some things tho carry forward...but there were no guarentees. They needed to capture the audience instead of worrying about having a subtextual gimmick.

It seems to me that the writer does not really get what they are trying to do here. They are doing a show based on a comic that is about how people survive in the world that is overrunby a nightmare. This isn;t a hour and a half movie that can be wrapped up in a nice neat bow with a wink and a nod to the camera at the end to say "look, did you see what I did there...I made a statement against such and such. That was not Kirkmans goal for this book, and now series.

The story is about the humancondition and how fragile it is given the right circumstances.

Comparing a television show (even the comic) to movies is not a good benchmark for his argument. Let's see the original Dawn of the Dead (and let it be known that I love that movie) last another 4 - 4 1/2 hours and sustain it's consumerism undertones. Not going to happen without people getting annoyed that you are beating them over the head with it. Television shows have to be fluid moving things.

He had a lot of interesting things to say, I just do not think he thought it through...but that's just my opinion.

#548460 11/30/10 08:59 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Iam Legion:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iam Legion:
I love the Comic series. I like the TV series a lot. However if ..... does not die (and within the first 2 episodes of the second season) and die at the hand of .... defending ..... , then I will stop watching the show. That part of the story is nescesary. If they don't do it then the show will end up as butchered as the 'Harry Potter' films with most of the heart and soul carved from it.
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I think Shane will die sometime n the second season...and it will be extremely similiar to the book. However, if it happens at the end of the season...as long as good stories continue to flow...I'm not gonna mind. They're building tension, the best way they see to do it for television.</span></span>

#548461 12/01/10 07:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, they just fired the writers, so something's going to change for next season:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...taff-considers-freelancers-for-season-2/

#548462 12/01/10 11:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I read the same thing today. However, I disagree. I don't think much is going to change. The writing staff honestly didn't do that much this season. Darabont wrote two of the episodes, and Kirkman wrote one. Another freelancer wrote another one. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this "firing" is just procedural, and he brings some of the writing staff back as freelancers next season. Of course this is all contingent on union rules, but surely this is hardly a gloom-an-doom decision. It's the biggest show ever on basic cable, after all. I'm loving it, btw.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#548463 12/01/10 12:23 PM
Active
Active
I have been loving this show! After the first ep, I had to go out and read the entire comic series.. So good. I don't normally like the horror genre, but this has me hooked.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Merle might end up being the Governor?

Listen to the Completely Comics Podcast at http://completelycomics.wordpress.com/
#548464 12/01/10 01:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Crymsun Kid:
Is it just me, or does it seem like Merle might end up being the Governor?
I hope not because, after all, the Governor should end up being the Governor! smile Seriously, he should end up being his own original character. Not to mention that Merle doesn't appear to have a zombie daughter to feed!

It has occurred to me, though, that Merle might pop up in Woodbury down the line. They've got something in mind, otherwise they wouldn't be setting all this up, and as I (anti-)spoiled earlier, I've read that neither Merle nor Morgan will be popping up in Sunday's season finale. So Woodbury would be a nice potential landing spot for Merle down the line. But I wouldn't be fond of the idea of making him into the Governor.

#548465 12/01/10 03:13 PM
Deputy
Deputy
So, I'm record at this forum as HATING zombie stuff. It really does terrify me. Having people close to me be turned into enemies/monsters has always been more terrifying to me than just about anything else I can imagine (and I can imagine a LOT). So I'm amazed that I've been able to watch The Walking Dead, and more or less enjoy it. The acting and the characters are so well done I've been able to squint through the horrific zombie attacks.

Last week's episode was particularly powerful and hard (for me) to take, precisely because the characters lost people close to them, and we got to see how different characters reacted differently to that. I figured battered wife (Carol?) would have her comeuppance at some point. Didn't think it would be so quick. But the way that relationship and its end was handled was extremely subtle and powerful.

I also have to say that the scene at dusk outside the CDC at the end was one of the most terrifying things I've witnessed. Total confusion, overflowing emotion, the demoralizing dimness of dusk, a gathering gloom almost worse than the darkness of night. Just overwhelming. And then, Monday night, I had that very experience -- intruders in our back yard that I couldn't see, the dog barking and biting them, the confusion over what was going on. It's all been a good test of my resilience (although I didn't sleep again until last night).

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Page 8 of 39 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 38 39

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,208
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SiliconDream
SiliconDream
Columbus, Ohio
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star