Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:28 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wiccan School Leaving Town
#552767 04/24/07 09:05 PM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
Wiccan School Leaves Town

I'm not a Wiccan myself, but I have spoken to people who are and I admire the basic tenets of the religion.

This school was a place that opened up in a town near where I live. As far as I know, there were no acts of violence against the school, but I was really dismayed that so-called "Men of God" were so ignorant about what Wicca is really about.

And I do have to wonder if they had heard of "He Who is Without Sin" ...

Re: Wiccan School Leaving Town
#552768 04/24/07 10:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not seeing anything in that article indicating the churches did anything to prevent the "school" from operating. It seems more like a business that didn't do its market research. Not enough customers. If saying, "I don't like that product" is to be taken as casting a stone, then isn't the sting taken out of casting a stone?

#552769 04/24/07 11:05 PM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
It's not the business failing that bugs me. It's this part:

"To me, it's an answer to the prayers given," said Kendra Smiley, an author and speaker, who is a member of the East Lynn United Methodist Church, which had led some gatherings to specifically pray about the witch school. "It's not the kind of influence we want in our community."

The First Baptist Church at 323 E. Seminary St. in Hoopeston also came out against the witch school from the beginning.

Pastor Steven Nelson said the church's stand has not changed, and if the school truly is leaving Hoopeston, the church is pleased.
Wicca is a pretty benign religion, certainly no worse than any of the countless other religions that man has come up with. What do you think would be the reaction if they'd said the same things about a Muslim or Jewish school?

#552770 04/24/07 11:24 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Your right blue.

I guess its ok to be against the smaller religions cause there arn't as many people to get offended

:polarboy:
#552771 04/24/07 11:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
To each their own?

These things ARE said everyday, about Muslim schools, Jewish Schools, Catholic Schools, any of the various Christian denomination schools, Private Schools, the local strip joint, 7-11.... ? To me it seems there was only a normal expression of opinions based upon personal philosophy. These churches have the same right to this as the business, right?

Concern about this reminds me of a friend that would get upset at the thought that other people could think about her without her permission. I could kind of understand it, given normal levels of paranoia, but ultimately it was irrational so I'm really not able to flesh out your concern. I'm not abnle to put it in my own words so that I can understand it.

Is the concern that members of these churches "wished" the business to fail or that they prayed for it to fail? It doesn't even seem as if they actively campaigned for it to fail.

#552772 04/24/07 11:59 PM
Deputy
OP Offline
Deputy
There's a difference between having a different philosophy and a difference of opinion and being outright prejudiced against a person or group based on rumors and ignorance.

I expect someone who professes to be a follower of a religion of peace and tolerance to practice those principles.

I don't expect a Christian minister to speak out in favor of a Wiccan school or Wiccan religion. But I do expect them to have an informed opinion and know what they're talking about.

From the articles I've read about the school, the ministers made no effort to learn what Wicca is actually about before they spoke out about it.

And no, I don't think that they'd be caught dead allowing themselves to be quoted saying the same things about a Jewish school or a Catholic school.

I was just unpleasantly surprised at the level of prejudice that existed in my community about the subject....

#552773 04/25/07 05:20 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It strikes me as a bit discouraging, too. Not overt, vocal or violent opposition - but it certainly seems to be intolerance of "the different". It's not like having the Hells Angels HQ move into town - but it's an old story. Anything fringe, anything questioning the status quo tends to get a rough ride outside of the diversity of big cities or progressive communities.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#552774 04/25/07 08:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh I don't think big cities or "progressive" communities, particularly "progressive" communities get a free ride.

One might say that was a not so progressive statement, indicting small communities.

Take enough small communities to equal a population of 1 million and is it really all that clear that a city of one million is more diverse in population or in opinion?

"Progressive" communities are manufactured communities of "like-minded" people. That seems worse to me.

As for the topic, I agree that decisions should not be made upon "rumors and ignorance." I'd be upset if my pastor spoke without having done both his research on the subject and I would expect that to come from a scriptural POV, not a personal POV. I think I'd be prejudging to conclude that these churches hadn't made that study. There's simply not enough info in the article.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,961
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pariscub
Pariscub
Edinburgh, Scotland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star