Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/03/24 09:15 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:10 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:07 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nerd Identity
#560375 05/19/10 12:22 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
This thought was spurred for me based on an exchange in the thread for the new Legion book:

Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:
Originally posted by Set:
[b]I'll also take being called a nerd as a badge of pride, since I'm posting on a site devoted to fans of a comic book.
good for you smile i wish i was that zen about that.
as a poster on a site devoted to fans of a comic book, i prefer being called a comic book fan. [/b]
I was called a nerd incessantly throughout my pre-college school years and for a long time wished I wasn't and hid my nerd enthusiasms from people; lived in the "nerd closet" as it were. In college though, in the early '90s, I met lots of other people like me who loved comics and games and couldn't care less about sports and other "manly" pursuits. I came to embrace the nerd label then (something my mother has never understood), reclaiming it much the same way as gay activists reclaimed "queer."

So, my question to the community is, when did you decide to embrace the nerd inside, if you have?

[Edited to attribute the quote to the proper poster]

Re: Nerd Identity
#560376 05/19/10 12:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wobble back and forth. In my teen years and even in my twenties, I was the epitome of nerd.

Then came the party years, when I went back into the nerd closet.

I think I embrace that part now, but it is nowhere near my whole identity like it once was.

Touch the magic...
#560377 05/19/10 12:44 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I'm not sure exactly when, but certainly by the time I made the career choice to become a librarian, I was no longer ashamed of my nerddom. laugh

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#560378 05/19/10 12:47 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I stopped caring at some point, probably in college, when I decided I wasn't going to change who I was for other people.

I've never formally embraced it, except in a jokey way. It's what it is.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#560379 05/19/10 12:50 PM
Active
Active
1984 when I saw Revenge of the nerds for the first time. I knew I'd found my people at last!

Seriously though, I was a freshman in college that year, and we had moved around A LOT as I was growing up, I was never, "Cool, " but I always had friends, some cool and some not so much. I've always been very aware of, and usually quite comfortable with my nerdiness.

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#560380 05/19/10 01:35 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Hmm... I actually consider myself way too much of an individualist to embrace such a stereotypical label. wink

Anyway, while I enjoy certain "nerdy" things, there's a lot of aspects of "nerd culture" that I really have no interest in.

In real life I tend to be more comfortable with creative, artistic types than your more stereotypical nerds. I'd much rather hang out in a coffee shop with poets than a comic book shop with gamers, for example.

#560381 05/19/10 02:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
But if you can get the poets into the comic book shop?

Faithfull
#560382 05/19/10 08:00 PM
T
Active
Active
T
I wonder how old you have to be to be a nerd? That is, how old before you're capable of holding the sorts of interests that define "nerdy"? 'Cause I can't remember a time when I didn't see myself as one. Okay, that's not the word I used, but I had never questioned what types of interests I had. I never had to make a decision to not change who I was - I would never have considered that!

There are points where I embraced specific nerd interests and viewpoints that I previously hadn't bothered with (Star Trek, 1999) or consciously ignored ("being Japanese *can* actually make something cool", 2009).

But I think the most important change has been very gradual: realizing that other nerds are more like myself than I would have thought. For example, I would never have claimed to have invented fan fiction. When I wrote my first, I had never heard the term, but I had certainly realized the idea wasn't unique. What was disturbing was realizing that I came up with many of the fan fiction cliches without ever having seen them. And then learning that this is normal.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#560383 05/19/10 08:20 PM
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
I don't worry about it one way or the other. I grew up reading comics, liking to check out library books on many different subjects, and practicing baseball four hours a day by bouncing a handball or tennis ball off the side of a barn until I could catch grounders in my sleep. But, I wasn't really a jock, I didn't do the usual high school cars, girls, rockandroll, and fightin' stuff, but I also didn't know every episode of Star Trek, thought Star wars was nice but...well...just nice.

I say...embrace being yourself. There are infinite variations and combinations out there from stamp collecting football player to rock climbing particle physicist. Why limit yourself?

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#560384 05/19/10 08:46 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
My whole life, I was only a nerd in secret, when my immediate family could see it. I've always been pretty popular in high school and college, played hockey, been able to speak in public and be comfortable in large groups, etc.

When I got to college, I kind of moved past the 'being popular/cool' phase and let my artistic / nerdy / intellectual side show more but that was probably just a natural part of maturing. I don't think any of my friends would ever call me a nerd but my wife certainly would.

I'm nowhere near as vocal or over the top as my 'Cobalt Kid' personna, but I'm a people-person, both socially and at work. Sometimes 'nerd' has this anti-social connotation, so that was the first thing I thought of; but I don't think that's exactly what the thread is about. Besides comics, I'm really interested in history and random things like volcanos, the Sphinx, etc. I have a subscription to National Geographic. I like things like that, than say, rather, Star Trek. Different side of nerdiness?

Like some others, I like to think of myself as: cool, handsome, popular, intellectual, cultured and nerdy. You know, the best qualities of every possibly label you could give...like all of us should do! laugh

#560385 05/19/10 09:09 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Being the geeky outsider where I was growing up quickly turned into a badge of pride, because the school was divided into preppy jocks (it was a resort community on a lake, with a lot of rich folk) and 'aggies' (the children of the farmers who had lived and worked there forever). I had a few discrete friends on each side of the fence, and generally didn't have to worry about bullying, because I would help people with homework and getting away with stuff that they might not have been clever enough to get away with on their own.

But, despite living on a farm, I had nothing in common personality-wise with the 'aggies' (despite even going so far as to participate in rodeo!), and the jock/preppy types where just incredible jerks (although terribly fashionable), so I preferred the 'nerd' crowd.

Today, most of my friends play computer games, and love superhero movies, and either play, or have played Dungeons & Dragons. Life's been good to me. Nerds aplenty.

The most bullying I got in high school was because of my unmanly taste in music. I was totally into Duran Duran. Oh, the shame. I might as well have worn a tiara... smile

Even 'though I'm something of a metalhead *now,* back then, the 'stoners' who liked Black Sabbath and Nazareth and AC/DC and whatnot were incredible jerks to me, and I never got to really listen to their music, for which I totally resent them, causing me to miss out on many years of good music from Ronnie James and Ozzy and the like.

Still, as the consequences of high school teasing go, I'd say not knowing who Dio was until I got into college was a fairly tiny cross to bear. It's not like I got wedgied or swirlied or anything. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#560386 05/19/10 09:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think we need to define what a "nerd" is really. I mean, I've never been the horn-rimmed thick glasses and suspenders type nerd, but I know there is plenty of nerdiness in me.

I can geek out over some REALLY nutty stuff, but I'm not a Monty Python, Princess Bride, Dark Crystal, Dungeons and Dragons type geek.

NERD: It's such a broad term. I embrace my inner nerd and don't hold anyone else's geekisms against them (though I reserve the right to poke fun at them, and they can do the same to me).

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#560387 05/19/10 09:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Hat-backwards wearing *freak!*

Sorry, that slipped out.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#560388 05/19/10 09:41 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I first encountered the word "nerd" on "Happy Days." It was an antiquated, '50s terms that somehow (probably thanks to "Happy Days") found its way back into teenage lexicon in the '70s.

I never identified with the term, though I was certainly unpopular due to my love of comics, among other reasons. It's interesting to me now to hear kids openly boast of being nerds, an unthinkable admission in my day.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#560389 05/19/10 10:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
See, now when I was in Elementary school, most of my classmates also collected comics so that was never an issue.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#560390 05/19/10 10:25 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Far fewer collected comics when I was in elementary school, but enough that it wasn't a big deal. By high school I had no interest in comics, so it wasn't an issue then.

#560391 05/19/10 10:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
In fact, it was a fellow Elementary School friend's Mom who took me to my very first CBS!!

In High School, it never really came up. By college, I was hanging around such a plethora of folks and no one cared.

#560392 03/16/11 09:25 PM
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
I tend to embrace the oddities of life. My hearts always been with the underdogs of society. I've worked several jobs in "real employment" instead of working for myself,and I invariably find myself being friends with the office black sheeps instead of the "in" crowd, be it the popular people or the "powerful" ones.

Something pithy!
#560393 03/16/11 09:31 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
At this point, it's impossible for me to know where "nerd" leaves off and "normal" begins-- as regards both myself and the people I know.

shrug

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#560394 03/16/11 09:43 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I guess nerd is one part of my personality, there are other parts related to it (academic) but parts of it mostly unrelated (active, loves nature, religious). I find strange correlations between my religious activities and nerd activities. Nerd activities is given higher priority than the other for awhile, it levels off, and then I spend alot of time on religion. Rinse and repeat.

I think comic books appeal to the religion side of my brain, which probably explains my love of Kirby's Fourth World.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#560395 03/17/11 12:17 PM
Time Trapper
Online Content
Time Trapper
Not much into religion of any type. Not much of a joiner at heart. Takes something special to keep me interested. Guess thats why I like Legionworld.

Im not so much a nerd as someone thats interests don't follow the mainstream, a little goofy and geeky. I guess nerd would be the brainiac's, of which I am not.

Something pithy!
#560396 03/17/11 09:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
We here on Legion World have transcended nerddom and are a new post-modern breed.

Post-Nerds.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#560397 03/17/11 09:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
heh...you said post...post-a-thon nerds!

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#560398 03/17/11 09:50 PM
I much prefer the term "Post Nerd" to the term "Post Whore" anyway.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#560399 03/17/11 09:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You got it, Dev.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,095
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SoM
SoM
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star