Roll Call
1 members (Rob-Em, Rob-Em, Rob-Em, Rob-Em, Rob-Em, Rob-Em), 34 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/08/24 12:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
LegionWorld College Game Week 2009
#561551 09/01/09 05:32 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
It's that time of year, football fans! The temps are getting crisper (someplace anyway laugh ) And the sound of shoulder pads smacking shoulder pads is about to fill air.

That's right, college football marks its triumphant return this weekend to the relief and great anticipation of college football fans everywhere.

Will the Gators win another National Championship in Tebow's final year at Gainesville? Will Notre Dame finally have a season worthy of the hype it always generates? (sorry Cobie! wink ) Who will be the Cinderella team this year?

It's time to find out!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
Re: LegionWorld College Game Week 2009
#561552 09/01/09 06:22 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hopefully I'll have time to preview the various conferences in the coming days but lets get things rolling right off the bat with this weeks 10 games to predict.

1. South Carolina @ NC State - THURSDAY
2. Oregon (16)@ Boise State (14)- THURSDAY
3. Georgia (13) @ Oklahoma State (9)
4. BYU (20) @ Oklahoma (3)
5. Alabama (5) @ Virginia Tech (7)
6. Maryland @ California (12)
7. Missouri @ Illinois
8. Mississippi @ Memphis - SUNDAY
9. Cincinnati @ Rutgers - MONDAY
10. Miami(FL) @ Florida State - MONDAY

Good luck and be sure to get your predictions in before the start of the first game (9 pm eastern on Thursday)

#561553 09/01/09 12:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lifelong Gamecock fan. Actually sitting here in a Gamecock shirt. Hoping that they will win. But the wolfpack will be tough if Spurrier hasn't prepared the team well.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#561554 09/03/09 02:34 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
My picks for this week are as follows:

1. South Carolina @ NC State - THURSDAY ~ Tough choice but I'm going to pick South Carolina on the road. Let's hope I don't have to eat Spurrier's visor! wink

2. Oregon (16)@ Boise State (14)- THURSDAY ~ Another tough call but I'm going against the odds and picking Boise State to prevail at home and upset Oregon on their way to a BCS bid this year.

3. Georgia (13) @ Oklahoma State (9) ~ I always worry about the Bulldogs but I think the OSU Cowboys have what it takes to win at home and live up to their pre-season hype.

4. BYU (20) @ Oklahoma (3)~ Although this game isn't really at "home" for Okalhoma (The Sooners are playing in the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Artlington Texas this game) I don't think it will matter. Oklahoma by at least 10.

5. Alabama (5) @ Virginia Tech (7) ~ This should be an old fashioned slugfest but it's in Blacksburg so I'll give the nod to VTech to survive the Tide.

6. Maryland @ California (12) ~ Cal just might be a contender for the Pac 10 this year so they should easily handle Maryland in their opening game.

7. Missouri @ Illinois ~ New QB at Mizzou versus new offense at Illinois and they look pretty evenly matched on paper. I'm partial to Missouri so I'll pick them to win a squeaker.

8. Mississippi @ Memphis - SUNDAY ~ No question in my mind that Ole Miss takes this one easily although Memphis has made some major improvements.

9. Cincinnati @ Rutgers - MONDAY ~ Both these team are considered contenders for the Big East Title and appear to be fairly evenly matched as well. Since the game is in NJ, I'll take the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

10. Miami(FL) @ Florida State - MONDAY ~ Everyone is going with the logical pick and selecting FSU at home. Makes sense since the Seminoles are formidable in Tallahassee but I'm a Hurricane through and through so I'm taking the Canes in an upset win.

#561555 09/06/09 05:49 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Poor Sooners. Get that kid a razor.

#561556 09/06/09 10:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Missouri beat Illinois but it was hardly a squeaker.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#561557 09/07/09 02:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Carolina won, but it highlighted the poor offense. Spurrier said he will be involved more with it this week. My question is, knowing that it was in rough shape before the game the last couple of weeks, why wasn't he more involved THEN?

We keep getting these guys that either haven't proven themselves anywhere else, or are on the downslide and think they are going to bring up the Gamecocks' game, and that isn't the way it works.

They got on Garcia for bailing out of the pocket, but if you looked, there wasn't the best pass protection from the O line. Wasn't all bad, but they weren't stopping penetration before he could finish his progressions.

And then, when he ran, he tried to act like a running back. I though he would get a call at one point for lowering his head.

Love my Gamecocks, but they really need to get their $#!+ together. Tired of them being also rans. They cannot blame it on the fact that they haven't spent enough for players like the other big boys, the stadium sells out each home game.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#561558 09/07/09 10:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Congrats, Vee--awesome game! Not particularly a Miami fan, but I definitely hate me some Noles! I was afraid that squib kick would cost the 'Canes. Luckily, FSU's receiver didn't have the best hands.

Don't give up on posting picks...I'll do my damndest to participate next week. Plus, Cobester should also be back and rarin' to go, I'd imagine.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#561559 09/08/09 01:49 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow! If anyone missed the Miami/FSU game, you missed one of the best college football games in a long time. Both QBs had tremendous games, there were 6 or 7 lead changes during the game and the final two minutes were amazing with the game being decided on the final second in a nailbiter play the results of which had to be reviewed!!!

That was a classic Canes v Noles battle!

#561560 09/08/09 02:15 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I must admit to being pleased with my results this week. 7 of 10 with some of the against the odds picks I made is a result I'll take anytime. Anyway, here are this weeks 10 games. Hope some others decide to play as well or this could get a little bit boring.

Clemson @ GA Tech (15) - THURSDAY
Iowa (22) @ Iowa State
East Carolina @ West Virginia
Notre Dame (23) @ Michigan
UCLA @ Tennessee
Miss State @ Auburn
South Carolina @ Georgia (13)
USC (4) @ Ohio State (6)
North Carolina @ UConn
Purdue @ Oregon (16)

Lots of lopsided contests this week so it was tough coming up with 10 games that were challenging. Good luck everyone!

#561561 09/09/09 12:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm back and will try to get some picks in. Saw that Miami / FS game. Wow, one of the best games I've seen in awhile and a helluva way to start the season.

Sucks about the Sooners.

We need Kippers here--the Tide looks ferocious this year.

Week 1 had the typical lopsided powerhouse vs. easy win games that I dislike. This week seems equally off-kilter but I hope we'll see some upsets.

#561562 09/09/09 02:49 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Week 1 had the typical lopsided powerhouse vs. easy win games that I dislike. This week seems equally off-kilter but I hope we'll see some upsets.
Yes, I was particularly impressed with Florida v Charleston Southern of the mighty Big South Conference. tongue

Good to see you back Cobie! Now get your picks posted! laugh

#561563 09/09/09 03:01 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Note: strikes though the losers

Clemson @ <strike>GA Tech (15)</strike> - THURSDAY
If I were impartial, I'd pick GT, but I won't pick against my Tigers here. I do feel we should have a good shot with our defense and C.J. Spiller at running back.

Iowa (22) @ <strike>Iowa State</strike>
Absolutely no preference, here. I'll go with rank and Iowa's impression after thumping South Carolina in last year's Outback Bowl.

<strike>East Carolina</strike> @ West Virginia
Hard choice here, but I'll go with what I think is the superior program, albeit one in its uncertain post-Rich Rodriguez era.

Notre Dame (23) @ <strike>Michigan</strike>
Very tough pick! Neither played a premier team last week, so I don't really know their identities yet. Both could be huge flops or BCS contenders! I'll go with Notre Dame and their retuning starters. Plus, I kinda want ND to matter again some, as a college football fan.

UCLA @ <strike>Tennessee</strike>
Can't stand Lane Kiffin! I'd like nothing more than to see him get a black eye from UCLA this weekend!

Miss State @ <strike>Auburn</strike>
Auburn made a huge mistake canning Tommy Tuberville.

<strike>South Carolina</strike> @ Georgia (13)
Neither team looked good last week, but SC's offense was PITIFUL! SC's D will keep it close, but it won't be enough.

USC (4) @ <strike>Ohio State (6)</strike>
Pete Carroll's USC team always rises to the occasion in the biggest games. When they lose, it's the one you don't expect. USC will win.

North Carolina @ <strike>UConn</strike>
I'm hoping UNC will help show that the ACC has good football teams that can win.

<strike>Purdue</strike> @ Oregon (16)
I think Oregon will bounce back from last week's upset loss.

#561564 09/10/09 10:50 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Here I go (in brief, damn work taking up my time):

(1) Georgia Tech over Clemson – I kind of route for Clemson now because of Lardy (like I root for the Crimson Tide, Penn State and the Sooner for some other friends or posters), but I think GT is a good team and they’ll want to do what it takes to win this one.

(2) Iowa over Iowa State – I have the feeling Iowa is the better team but I think this one will be closer than analysts will predict. If Iowa State pulled this off, I wouldn’t be shocked.

(3) West Virginia over East Carolina – West Virginia has been really good these last few years and I think that will continue this year albeit to a lesser degree. Still strong enough to bump off East Carolina though.

(4) Notre Dame over Michigan – Vee knows that if he puts in ND or UCONN I will pick them even if they have bad seasons laugh . However, I do think ND will have a good season this year and I desperately want them to beat Michigan to set the tempo.

(5) Tennessee over UCLA – I actually think this will be Lane Kiffin’s big debut game this year, and even though its not Oakland, its still a CA team he’s playing. I feel like this game will matter to him personally and he’ll be pushing

(6) Auburn over Miss State – this is the hardest one for me to pick, but I’m going Auburn.

(7) Georgia over South Carolina – Georgia will eventually be playing as good as they are this year but South Carolina always gives them a tough game. Should be close.

(8) USC over Ohio State – I have no great love for USC, and in fact, usually root for them to lose, but I like Ohio State even less. I feel like Ohio State is going to get a beating by USC in this one. BTW, great analysis Lardy about USC always losing when you don’t expect it. Also, I hope Penn State beats Ohio State soon after this game.

(9) UCONN over NC – Per Vee’s devious plan, I’ll probably lose this one, but I’m hoping UCONN pulls off an upset and smacks around NC. Especially since NC’s “big win” over the Citadel last week came as no surprise to anyone and that 40-6 score deserves revenge.

(10) Oregon over Purdue – I think Oregon has something to prove after last week and needs to do it NOW.

Other Random Thoughts
- I’d love it if Wyoming upset Texas to get Texas as messed up as Oklahoma is right now.
- Syracuse has something to prove after their loss last week but I don’t think they’ll do it against Penn State.
- A lot of eyes will be on Oklahoma to see how they do without Bradford. I think they’ll likely beat Idaho St.

#561565 09/10/09 04:14 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Dooooooohhhhh! Cobie finally figured out my nefarious scheme! wink

Clemson @ GA Tech (15) - THURSDAY ~ This si always a tough game but I think Georgia Tech has the advantage this year.

Iowa (22) @ Iowa State ~ Iowa is definitely a strong team this year but the Cyclones always give them a tussle. Since it's at Iowa State I'm going out on a limb and calling for an upset by the Cyclones this week.

East Carolina @ West Virginia ~ The Mountaineers have a new coach but still have a great deal of talent. I don't think the Pirates can beat them in Morgantown.

Notre Dame (23) @ Michigan ~ Hate to say it ( wink ) but I think the irish have a real shot this year and Michigan still looks a bit confused. Yes Cobie, i picked Notre Dame!

UCLA @ Tennessee ~ Both teams had high expectations last year and failed to live up to them so both will be looking to get back on track. I think home field advantage will be the determining factor in this one so I'm taking the Vols.

Miss State @ Auburn ~ Miss State has really improved over the past few years. I'm taking them over Auburn because I think they have the better team.

South Carolina @ Georgia (13) ~ After last week's games, both teams have a lot to prove. Georgia has more talent on both sides of the field so shoul be able to pull this one off.

USC (4) @ Ohio State (6) ~ Can I just quote Cobie here? "I have no great love for USC, and in fact, usually root for them to lose, but I like Ohio State even less." Guess I have to say "Go Trojans!"

North Carolina @ UConn ~ As Cobie well knows, I've been a big fan of UConn for quite some time. If this were in Chapel Hill I would grudgingly pick UNC but it's in Stors so I'm going with the Huskies.

Purdue @ Oregon (16) ~ Oregon got embarrassed on national TV last week. The Boilermakers better look out because the Ducks will be loaded for bear and I doubt Purdue can handle them.

#561566 09/10/09 10:07 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Re: Clemson/GT

...ugh...

'nuff said

#561567 09/12/09 03:09 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Toledo beat Colorado??!!!! Wow!

Now that's got to be the upset of the week

#561568 09/12/09 09:24 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm watching college game day and was reminded about last year's Miss State /Auburn game that was 3-2. Man that was bad. I expect this game to be more high-flying.

#561569 09/12/09 02:13 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
...and Central Michigan just beat Michigan State in a great game.

As I recall, Week 2 last year saw a number of major upsets. Wonder if this year will follow form.

#561570 09/14/09 03:32 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Man, I had an abysmal Week 2 with my picks! I should know that Notre Dame will always do me wrong! wink

After two weeks here are the standings:

Cobie 70% (7/10)
Lardy 70% (7/10
Vee 60% (12/20)

Grats to both Cobie and Lardy for a good week.

Here are the AP Top 25 after Week 2...

* 1.Florida (56)
* 2.Texas (1)
* 3.USC (1)
* 4.Alabama (2)
* 5.Penn St.
* 5.Mississippi
* 7.BYU
* 8.California
* 9.LSU
* 10.Boise St.
* 11.Ohio St.
* 12.Oklahoma
* 13.Virginia Tech
* 14.Georgia Tech
* 15.TCU
* 16.Oklahoma St.
* 17.Cincinnati
* 18.Utah
* 19.Nebraska
* 20.Miami (FL)
* 21.Houston
* 22.Kansas
* 23.Georgia
* 24.North Carolina
* 25.Michigan

#561571 09/14/09 03:36 PM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And here are the 10 games for Week 3.

Georgia Tech @ Miami - THURSDAY
Louisville @ Kentucky
Boston College @ Clemson
Michigan State @ ND
Utah @ Oregon
Nebraska @ Virginia Tech
Florida State @ BYU
West Virginia @ Auburn
Georgia @ Arkansas
Texas Tech @ Texas

This promises to be a much better week as far as much ups with some pretty interesting games. Please make sure to get your picks in before game time for the Georgia Tech-Miami game on Thursday.

#561572 09/16/09 09:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<strike>Georgia Tech</strike> @ Miami
If Miami's really for real, they've gotta win this one. I'm guessing they will. Tech was lucky to get by Clemson after blowing that huge lead. I think Clemson exposed Tech's weaknesses for their opponents to exploit.

<strike>Louisville</strike> @ Kentucky
Both teams are kinda off the radar so far this year, so I don't have a feel for them yet...don't even know their records. I'll go with the home team and the SEC over the Big East by default.

<strike>Boston College</strike> @ Clemson
BC ain't what they were. Their best players have left for the NFL. Hopefully, Clemson won't eff this one up!

<strike>Michigan State</strike> @ ND
Home game should be what the doctor ordered for ND after that heartbreaking loss last week. With what happened to the Spartans last week, if the Irish lose this one, Chuck Weiss is not long for his job.

Utah @ <strike>Oregon</strike>
Utah had an unimpressive win last week, but ya gotta figure the chaps who kicked the crap outta 'Bama last January have got a little somethin'-somethin' for the reeling Ducks.

<strike>Nebraska</strike> @ Virginia Tech
Gotta think Beamer and the Hokies will circle the wagons on the 'Huskers at home.

<strike>Florida State</strike> @ BYU
Will the Noles drop to a rare -2 start? Why yes they will to the red-hot BYU team still out to prove themselves to the world!

<strike>West Virginia</strike> @ Auburn
Well, maybe the Tuberville-less Tigers got a little somethin' after all!

<strike>Georgia</strike> @ Arkansas
I think home field was all that saved the Bulldogs last week. If Petrino's worth his salt, he'll exploit all the weaknesses that were exposed last week. Could be a looong year for Georgia fans!

<strike>Texas Tech</strike> @ Texas
I'd like to see Colt McCoy contend for a national championship this year. Gotta roll over the Red Raiders first.

#561573 09/16/09 09:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hmm. Hopefully, my dominantly home team inclinations this week won't come back to bite me in the ass! (most worried about Arkansas, ND & especially Clemson for obvious reasons! gasp )

#561574 09/17/09 04:31 AM
Vee Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Georgia Tech @ Miami - THURSDAY ~ Miami at home should carry the day.

Louisville @ Kentucky ~ These intrastate rivals all go all out when facing each other. Lopsided victories against Indiana State and Miami (Ohio) respectively don't really tell us much about either team. I'm going with Kentucky at home.

Boston College @ Clemson ~ Not sure which way to go with this pick. Clemson had a tough loss last week against Georgia Tech but BC has yet to be face a decent team. My gut tells me BC will pull this one out so I'll go with that.

Michigan State @ ND ~ Ugh, ND lost a heart breaker against Michigan last week but the Spartans' loss to the Central Michigan Chippewas was even worse. However, ND always messes me up when I pick them so I'll take the Spartans in an upset at South Bend.

Utah @ Oregon ~ Oregon has failed to impress me this year and Utah continues to roll. Utah wins.

Nebraska @ Virginia Tech ~ Nebraska has had an easy run so far facing Florida Atlantic and Arkansas State while VA Tech has been facing Alabama and Marshall. The Huskers will get taken to the woodshed in Blacksburg.

Florida State @ BYU ~ This game should tell us which of these teams is for real. FSU lost a great game against Miami in the opener and BYU beat Oklahoma by 1. Since the game is in Utah, I'm taking BYU at home.

West Virginia @ Auburn ~ Auburn has won me over and should be able to beat WVU at home.

Georgia @ Arkansas ~ This could be a tough game but I really think the 'Dogs will prevail on the road.

Texas Tech @ Texas ~ This was one of the best games of the season last year but Texas Tech lost much more to the pros in the draft and will be hard pressed to beat Texas. Texas wins at home.

#561575 09/17/09 05:50 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Miami tonight, will do others when have a moment. I feel pike this is Miami's year to return to the elite after that game vs FSU.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,206
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star