Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 37 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Self-Important People Irritate Me
#562232 10/09/03 01:59 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Okay, so I just went out to the lobby to ask the receptionist a question. I stand in front of her, waiting patiently for her to acknowledge me...

She's typing in her instant messager, yakking to a friend...

She stops typing, looks up at me, then looks back at her monitor, and starts typing some more...

Then she stops typing, looks up at me again, then starts typing again...

Then she answers the phone...

Finally she looks back up at me and asks me what I want.

Now, I don't really think I'm any better than her, or any more important than her, but y'know when you weigh my work-related question against her non-work-related chatting on the internet, well guess which one feels more important to me?

She's moving to England in a year. I can't wait.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
Re: Self-Important People Irritate Me
#562233 10/09/03 02:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Perhaps some of our English friends could help her get a job -- in the coal mines. mad

#562234 10/09/03 02:10 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Saying her name, with a rising inflection as if to ask a question ... ever thought of that? It tends to get my attention.

Have you never had task-focused self-hypnosis? I have, especially when programming or writing HTML. Yes, her tasks at hand may have included personal IMing. (And how did you know what she was doing, by the way?) That doesn't mean she wasn't immersed in it, along with phone monitoring.

A gentle nudge can work wonders. Especially if it's what we all cherish most, the sound of one's own name.

#562235 10/09/03 02:18 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Does she not know that you are a Princess and Leader of Legion World?????

When I started working in a bank, I became more and less patient of customer service people. If it is busy and the customer service person is working at her/his job, then I have all the patience in the world. However if there is no one else in line and I have to wait while the customer service person finishes talking about their date last night (or worse continues to talk to their coworker while ringing up my purchases) then I become annoyed.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#562236 10/09/03 02:45 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Greybird:
Saying her name, with a rising inflection as if to ask a question ... ever thought of that? It tends to get my attention.
Well, she looked directly at me twice, so I'm fairly certain that she knew I was there. I thought I made that clear in my original post.

Have you never had task-focused self-hypnosis? I have, especially when programming or writing HTML. Yes, her tasks at hand may have included personal IMing. (And how did you know what she was doing, by the way?) That doesn't mean she wasn't immersed in it, along with phone monitoring..
Well, besides the fact that I know she IMs all day long, I could see her monitor when I approached her, and that was the only open window (Yahoo Messenger windows look quite different than the handful of other windows that she might possibly have had open).

A gentle nudge can work wonders. Especially if it's what we all cherish most, the sound of one's own name.
You'd have to know our receptionist to realize that what she cherishes most is the sound of her own voice. Some people are just like that. She feels that she is the most important person in the company, second only to the President. Maybe not even wink

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#562237 10/09/03 02:46 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
Does she not know that you are a Princess and Leader of Legion World?????
Apparently she missed the Barbara Walters interview wink

#562238 10/09/03 09:03 PM
S
Stu Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
S
Saying the name of the receptionist at Crujeckie's workplace gets your attention? Why -- do you share the same name? wink lol

#562239 10/10/03 01:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
These little emperors of office domains always flummoxed me. If you want anything, like information or to get your package sent out, whatever, you just have to go with the behaviour and even be nice to them. I wonder if it's pure ego or some defense against being "bothered" and interrupted constantly - even though that's her job. It didn't sound like she was swamped with work, however. If she's like that with everyone, it doesn't present a very good image for the company.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#562240 10/10/03 02:47 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
Perhaps some of our English friends could help her get a job -- in the coal mines. mad
Sorry Mrs Thatcher shut them all down...how about a call centre instead, we have loads of them!

#562241 10/10/03 04:46 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Our receptionist is a nightmare, she doesn't know what to do with half the calls she gets and just gives them to us and we should only be getting calls from staff members. We dread her calling us with problem as well because trying to do any problem solving with her is impossible because she is "too busy" to do it. Even though we could sort it out in 5 seconds over the phone.

We also have a PA who has her own PA. No one can work out what she actually does.

#562242 10/10/03 04:48 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Okay, first I'm just coming off of work, so bear with me.

I'm sick of people who sit their chairs or stools in front of emergency exits or just where people need to get by, like their more important than anyone else in the world. I hate people who see your hands are full or are carrying a keg of beer and you say excuse me to get by and they look at you and refuse to move.

There are some really rude and self-important people in this world and most of them hang out at my bar.

Anyway, sorry. Just needed to get that off my chest. Carry on.

#562243 10/10/03 12:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'd be real polite if I ever came to your bar.

#562244 10/10/03 12:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Me too!!!!! wink

Let the Fun Begin!
#562245 10/10/03 10:02 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Here's what I get at work- Some yuppie type is waving frantically to get my attention, I approach his/her table and begin to ask," How may I help you?" and before I can finish he/she holds his/her palm up in my face to shush me because he/she is in the middle of a hands-free cell phone conversation!
It happens at least once a day!!

lil'rhino

#562246 10/11/03 01:31 AM
Deputy
Deputy
stab them all!

every single one of them, knife knife knife and you'll feel so much better, trust me I'm a serial offender! lol lol

Though seriously, I know the feeling of having to deal with rude and ignorant people. I deal with so-called professionals and one of them called me a c*nt the other week. That conversation was immediately terminated and I cannot wait until I have to audit his surgery.

The wanker!!!

#562247 10/13/03 09:01 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Where in the hell did all these miserable people come from? I cater weddings etc. on the weekends (at an art museum/botanic gardens here in Nashville), and on Saturday I had a wedding reception. The no-class motherhumpers came in and starting picking apart the buffet before the bride had even arrived! Usually I try not to talk to people, but I could not resist giving them a dirty look so pointed that they asked me when they were supposed to start eating. I told them it was CUSTOMARY to wait until the bride FREAKIN' SHOWED UP (not in so many words, but...) unless the mother of the bride said differently. That advice did not take for the rest of the ignorant crackers at this wedding, so when the bride arrived everyone else had eaten and the buffet (which I had gone to a lot of trouble to set in an attractive manner, BTW) had been demolished. Like school on Sunday--NO CLASS.

Doesn't it just seem like society keeps going further and further down hill? Trust me, you can't wait until the kids I teach are in the workforce. Things ain't gettin' any better....Does saying that automatically make me old?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#562248 10/13/03 12:41 PM
Leader
Leader
"Doesn't it just seem like society keeps going further and further down hill?"

A few months ago my next-door neighbor's kid was making noise from climbing all over my front porch railing. I've had so many BAD dealings with kids-- AND their parents-- in the last year, I called the cops. Before they arrived, I happened to see the mother standing outside. This particular woman was one I'd had polite conversations before-- but only when the trouble-makers were someone ELSE's kids. This time, she lit into me with a non-stop barrage of garbage, all in a loud voice, flat monotone & heavy accent. You couldn't get a word in, everything she said got more and more stupid, and the one thing she said that got me more than anything else was, "Why can't you put up with it like everybody else?"

YEAH, RIGHT. Like we're ALL supposed to just lie down and accept that there are no standards of behavior anymore, and we're supposed to just LET the whole world go completely to HELL. When the police arrived, I had a very pleasant talk with an officer for about 5 minutes. He then went around the corner to talk with the mother. After dinner, I looked out the window and saw his car was still there, more than a half-hour later. I'm guessing HE had trouble getting a word in with her, too! (I'm sure her boyfriend never even tries argueing with her-- he wouldn't stand a chance.)

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,110
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Not-So-Bad Lad
Not-So-Bad Lad
The Evil Anti-Moon!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star