Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 40 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 06:40 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why do you love Monel?
#24160 07/23/04 01:56 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I always thought Monel was way cooler than Superman or boy.

He has this somber, dark, frustrated, deep, samurai thing about him. Volume 4 really made a star out of him.

Why is Monel so darn cool?! And why doesn't DC notice this? smile

Jorge

Re: Why do you love Monel?
#24161 07/23/04 02:20 AM
Leader
Leader
Monel is cool because he's related to Andromeda. wink I'll come up with some more reasons later.

ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!
#24162 07/23/04 02:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
V.4 was his shining moment. He had a great mix of selfless hero, bearing a great burden of responsibility, with a hint of instability - but not breaking down, mentally or physically, as he did in earlier stories.

Many people, including me, have found DnA's portrayal of him confusing - incredible power, but all too often getting beaten. I didn't have the sense of where they were going with this - we never had an explanation or a resolution to M'onel's "weakness". The whole Valor business seemed to have been dropped as well - which I thought was one of the more interesting aspects of his story and character. He still had the touch of elder statesman about him, but we didn't see it used often.

I'd be very sad to see him dropped from the new series.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#24163 07/23/04 04:08 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I think I'll be in a minority here but when has that ever stopped me smile

The simplest answer is "I don't"

When I was growing up with Mon El he was the faux brother of Superboy, and always seemed to be an unnecessary copy of Kal.

I never read the later versions until much later but even then Mon or Valor or Lar or Eltro never really seemed to have much of a personality. I mean I can always think of Kal as the perennial boy scout always looking on the sunny side. But What about Lar?

I never identified with the tragedy after the time trapper conspiracy or felt sorry for him or Tasmia and i suppose this sums it up for me.

The whole Valor seeder of worlds thing left me cold and the modern connections to the 20th century via L.E.G.I.O.N or the invasion or even Clone El putting him in a stasis zone are just frills and frippery.

that said, Mon El is an integral part of the Legion and unless we are allowed to get the kryptonians back, is needed in the legion to provide that planet shaking power levels the legion needs.

I don't want to get rid of Mon, just don't "love" him. Sorry.

Faithfull
#24164 07/23/04 08:13 AM
Substitute
Substitute
The suit (preboot) it was pretty swanky.

A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world
#24165 07/23/04 10:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
While I don't "love" M'onel, I will agree that TMK did great things with him for the above mentioned reasons and I like the place he has on the team. He carries a certain weight on his shoulders which gives him a vulnerability despite his powers. I like that he has just enough darkness or seriousness to him to keep him a tad apart from most of his other teammates, but not too much to detract from the spirit of the team since the darker parts come not from him or his nature, but simply what he's been through.

#24166 07/23/04 04:32 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I like that Mon is sometimes aloof, frustrated and always did a lot of soul-searching. Like others have said, I think he really shined in TMK, and #3 of V4 and the beating he gives the Time Trapper show how powerful he truly is.

I also think Mon is one of the Legionnaires that is essential to the Legion. I'd like to see him consistently remain in the line-up, and act as a leader (while not occupying the leader role, something he might see as counter-productive).

#24167 07/23/04 04:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Mon went through 1,000 years or torture without being a whiney, angst-ridden brat... anyone else would have got nuts, but he was strong enough to endure.

think about it.

1,000 years.

and we complain about a 40-minute wait at the Motor Vehicles office...

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#24168 07/24/04 06:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, i only thought he was okay, but not because of the character.

He reminds me too much of the Byronic mold of hero, and its one i never really cared for. It always seemed a little over the top to me.

But i liked his original origins,and the role he played in the Superboy stories.

So, i gotta hope that Waid and Kitson do something interesting with him. Actually, i hope they do something interesting with the entire team. I know we cant go back, as much as i might want to return to the levitz era of cool, so i have come to accept much of the new legion. Still hate the snake though. Give me jeckie.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,263
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Positive Man
Positive Man
Lisbon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star