Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 09:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 08:27 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/07/24 08:07 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
The Totally Selfish thread
#568074 12/16/07 02:01 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
I have created this thread dedicated to trying to persuade people to come out and play with me.

A brief back story: as many of you know, I was colorist for The Legion a few years ago, and though my stint on the book is long over, I stayed because I made friends here, and it is one of those few precious places on the internet where virtually everybody is great, and no jackass-ery is tolerated.

Even though I am not a prolific poster, I am here everyday, usually many, many times a day, looking for a little amusement or distraction.

You see, I spend a lot of time alone. A LOT. My significant other travels for work and is away as much as he's here. I work from home. I don't have a car. I have no family in the community where I live, and few friends. It can feel like my whole world comes to me via the internet and the mailbox. Sometimes I just go stick my head out the front door to make sure the world's still there!

My life is rather lonely. There, I've said it! Pride be damned!

So this is my thread where I will come to play and I hope you'll join me. Ask me questions. Tell me a story. I'll make up silly games. Whatever. I just want to have a place where I can interact with you folks, even when other threads aren't luring me in.

Re: The Totally Selfish thread
#568075 12/16/07 02:02 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Random question #1:

Do you collect things (besides comics). What? And why?

I've never been a big collector. I'm passionate about books, so I have a ton of them. I guess I collect Tim Burton stuff, but I'm not a completist (ie. I don't feel compelled to have everything). I just get whatever intrigues me. So far I have all the Tragic Toys, a few action figures from Nightmare before Christmas and Corpse bride, a book of poems, stationery, book ends, books, pins, and a set of nesting dolls. Why? Well it just makes me smile. I love cartoons; I love Tim Burton's twisted sensibilities; I love it when they come together.

#568076 12/16/07 02:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Besides the comics Caroline and I both collect vampire books; novels, short story collections, non-fiction, ect. Have numerous books shelves full of them and even more in storage. We even collect art to go with them or other trinkets like plates or clocks (bought her one from Romania last year that has Vlad on the face and is a piece of petrified wood from the Carpathian mountains). Our passion for vampires is how we met.

My latest obsession is the Classic Marvel Figurine Magazines. You might say they are comics but they really are magazines, each about a different hero, and come with a fully painted, heavy lead figure. Produced in the UK. Get them through Diamond via DCBS but I've also had to order some from Forbidden Planet just because they weren't released in the US. Now I need to figure out how to display them and get them off my closet floor!

What else. Computer gear all over the house. Literally in every room. Anything techie. I'm a tech geek and usually have to be the first to own the latest and greatest. Although I have tried to tone that down lately. Been able to resist the iPhone so far. But don't know how long that will last. smile

If you were closer Ronda we'd take you out to see Sweeney Todd for Christmas!

#568077 12/16/07 03:40 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
(Because nothing says X-Mas like a serial killer... wink )

Dragons.

I love them. I have a curio cabinet 1/2 full of pewter figures... some whimsical pieces, but most not. There are several painted porcelain dragons to give all that pewter some variety.

The bottom of my curio is filled with plush dragons, particularly the Dakin "Duncan Dragon"s released in 1983. I think I have them all, except my "Holy Grail"-- a Valentine's dragon released in '85. It's white with red wings,spikes and nails, and wears a banner that proclaims "I would slay a dragon for thee"... sigh I've seen a couple on eBay recently, but they haven't gone for under $60... and one went well over $100! :gulp:

The top of my case holds other plushes and toys I've amassed over the years.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#568078 12/16/07 04:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hey, Burton and Christmas. Always dark. smile

So Bri. Have you ever gotten those dragons that McFarlane makes? Been thinking about getting some for a friend who is a dragon collector (always get him something dragon related for birthdays and Christmas).

#568079 12/16/07 04:57 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I collect penguins. Not real ones, of course, but figurines, stuffed animals, sculpture, cookie jars, candy dishes, origami, pictures, what have you. I almost never buy penguin things. Most people know I collect them and give them to me. This, of course, led to my using variations of "rockhopper" for my online identities and, ultimately, to Rockhopper Lad.

I also collect "Peanuts" paraphernalia, particularly things with Charlie Brown (I have some Snoopy, Linus, Lucy, etc., but CB is my fave!).

I also have a fairly good collection of hymnals. I am a total choir nerd! smile

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#568080 12/16/07 05:44 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I collect dragons too. laugh

I also have some ... geez.. don't know what to call it... glass cubes with 3D figures in them. Laser cubes, I believe is the term.

I buy lots of DVDs, particularly Japanese Giant Monster movies.

#568081 12/16/07 07:16 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:

Computer gear all over the house. Literally in every room. Anything techie. I'm a tech geek and usually have to be the first to own the latest and greatest. Although I have tried to tone that down lately. Been able to resist the iPhone so far. But don't know how long that will last. smile
Oh I totally get the computer gear all over the house. Shawn leaves his stuff everywhere! It makes me CRAZY! Our basement is stacked floor to ceiling with computers, monitors, printers, parts, cables, hundreds of computer books, etc. It looks like a warehouse. A really messy warehouse.

And he has a rented storage room full of computers! And an office!

In our living room now: 4 internal hard drives, 3 external drives, assorted cables and cords, memory sticks, software, discs, and countless other bits and pieces and gadgets that I just toss in a basket. And Shawn isn't even in town!

Sounds like you two would get along famously!

#568082 12/16/07 08:16 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Man, when I'm busy with work, I wish for some free time. When I finally get some, I don't know what to do with myself!

What does everyone look forward to doing with their free time?

I sure miss my car. I have total cabin fever!

#568083 12/16/07 11:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
How does one get into the colouring of comics anyways? Does a colourist have to have skill with pencil and inks? What's the future of a colourist look like?

Hey- you said to ask...

Just spouting off.
#568084 12/17/07 05:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Free Time what’s that?

When I’m not collecting legion stuff, it usually things for my other hobby of re enacting, at the moment I’m looking for some repro coins and a period shaving kit. Later in 08 I’m planning on getting a gun cabinet so I can finally get my musket home to look after it.

So is Canada as bad as the USA for needing a car to live? I’m lucky in that I can always get a bus or train to get almost anywhere.

Faithfull
#568085 12/17/07 05:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I have lots of free time now, in theory, but I guess I squander it. It depends on what you think the purpose of life is. In summer, I garden, snorkel and sail. With the usual life maintenance chores, that doesn't leave much free time. But winter is a lot slower. "Sometimes I sits and thinks but mostly I just sits" - who said that? Could have been me.

Ronda, have you always lived in Winnipeg? Sorry to say I've never been to Manitoba. Years ago, I heard about some incredible restaurant in Winnipeg which only served about 20 people at a time - forget the name - but since then I've always imagined Winnipeg as a city of hidden gems.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#568086 12/17/07 01:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I don't have a specific type of thing I collect, but rather collect things in 'themes'. Basically anything that has to do with certain themes. Here are a few things I do that with:

- Comic books (of course), but specifically the Legion, Spider-Man, Silver Age Marvel and Silver Age DC, also Silver Age Ditko Charleton and EC Comics (I wrote a grad school paper on EC)
- Roman History & Ancient History in General (I have a Masters Degree in Roman History)
- The Middle Ages, and now the Knights Templar (thanks Da Vinci Code!)
- History of the Habsburg Empire (Austria-Hungary and the Holy Roman Empire)
- Irish History and Irish Poetry
- Film History, specifically l939 - 1960
- Audrey Hepburn (my first love)
- 'Noir', film, but also books, etc.
- Tolkein-related things
- The Russian Romantic movement of the 1840's - 1860's. I reread Lermantov's 'Princess Mary' every other year.
- seriel-killer related material (I minored in Criminal Justice and at one time considered a career as an FBI profiler, but of course, that didn't take off laugh ).
- Organized crime of all types
- Salvador Dali - probably my favorite painter of all time

And other odd assorted things that I like to make my own. Generally the only time I find people interested in this besides my brothers, my Dad or old classmates from college or Grad school, its online laugh .

#568087 12/17/07 02:54 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Thanks to everyone who's playing along! I'm trying to answer the questions, but having technical difficulties! Will respond as I am able.

#568088 12/17/07 02:55 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
QUOTE]Originally posted by Faraway Lad:

So is Canada as bad as the USA for needing a car to live? I’m lucky in that I can always get a bus or train to get almost anywhere.
[/QUOTE]

Well I guess if you live in a large urban center, you're fine. My city has buses, but no trains or rapid transit. In the summer it's no big deal, but in the winter, who wants to get all bundled up and trudge through the snow to a bus stop. It's easier to stay home and complain. ;-) Going to my local mall would take 5 minutes in a car, 20+ minutes on the bus. A car is just easier. Especially if you need groceries, or to transport stuff, etc. Like today I have to schlep my Christmas parcels to the post office on the bus. Fun.

I've had a car since I was sixteen, up until it died three years ago. The car wasn't worth the money it would cost to fix it, and I've never been able to afford to replace it. When you're used to always having one, it's like losing a limb!

#568089 12/17/07 03:04 PM
strange but not a stranger
I haven't had a car for, I'd say, close to 10 years now. Of course I do live in the city, so I have not really missed it. The biggest change in my life without a car is in how I shop for groceries. I don't take a carriage. I use the baskets provided at the entrance. That way I only get what I know I can carry home.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#568090 12/17/07 03:13 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
How does one get into the colouring of comics anyways? Does a colourist have to have skill with pencil and inks? What's the future of a colourist look like?
Well I'm not sure how "one" becomes a colorist, but I can tell you how I did.

My town used to have a large color studio that was founded by a few individual colorists. Sort of a comic coloring assembly line, if you will. The "painters" took paper color guides, and recreated them in Photoshop. I got the job because I had an art background (I have a BFA). They primarily were looking for people with an understanding of anatomy, color matching ability, and computer skills.

I did that for years before I finally got promoted to being an actual colorist, responsible for both design and execution. I did it in that studio for less than a year before it folded, about three years at another before it folded, and the last 2 years on my own.

If one was looking to break in, I'd say create a portfolio (color over professional pencils and inks!) that includes sequential pages that show off a range of moods, styles, etc. Then start applying for jobs, and be prepared to work for very little until you have a bit of a rep, or the big publishers want you.

I don't think you have to be a skilled penciller, but basic art skills are necessary: an understanding of color theory, light and shadow, anatomy. You have to know how to set a mood, tell a story, direct the readers attention, all without being intrusive or detracting from the pencils. It comes with practice. And Photoshop skills are a must.

As for the future, I couldn't say. I certainly think you'll see colorists fighting for more credit for their role. There are few coloring "stars"; mostly we go unnoticed. The penciller will always be the star, and I accept that, but I think a lot of people are unaware of the power of color. I can make your work look that much better, or I can can really detract from it too.

#568091 12/17/07 03:22 PM
Originally posted by mechana:
I don't think you have to be a skilled penciller, but basic art skills are necessary: an understanding of color theory, light and shadow, anatomy. You have to know how to set a mood, tell a story, direct the readers attention, all without being intrusive or detracting from the pencils. It comes with practice. And Photoshop skills are a must.
Would you recommend coloring Spiderman's costume neon pink with eggshell blue?

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#568092 12/17/07 06:33 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:]Would you recommend coloring Spiderman's costume neon pink with eggshell blue?
I don't think I'd recommend coloring anything neon pink and eggshell blue.
wink

#568093 12/17/07 06:52 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

Ronda, have you always lived in Winnipeg? Sorry to say I've never been to Manitoba. Years ago, I heard about some incredible restaurant in Winnipeg which only served about 20 people at a time - forget the name - but since then I've always imagined Winnipeg as a city of hidden gems.
No, I haven't always lived here, but I've been here since 1991, and that's the longest I've ever been in one place! I was born in Victoria, BC, then moved to Winnipeg (where my Mom is from), then to the NWT, then back to Winnipeg, then to a tiny northern Alberta town, all before I was school age. We stayed there until I was 12, then moved to a slightly larger small Alberta town, where I lived until I left for University in Saskatoon. When I was finished school my parents were living here (after a brief stint in Regina), so I came home to mooch until I got on my feet. They have since moved 3 more times, but by then I had found love, so I stayed.

It's not a bad place. Big enough so that it has everything one needs; not so big as to be intimidating. We have a nice zoo, and the Forks Market is pretty cool. We have a huge museum and an observatory, and an art gallery, ballet, opera, several theatre companies. Lots to do. No Ikea though, dammit. ;-)

As far as restaurants go, I'm guessing the one your thinking of is a little Italian place. I can't remember the name either, but I've heard people talk about it. To get in on a Saturday you have to book about a month in advance. There is also a little Ukrainian place called Alicia's that's kind of famous.

#568094 12/17/07 10:28 PM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Shawn is not coming home until Christmas eve, and probably leaving again the day after Christmas. I can't tell you how much that sucks. Not even the Grinch can cheer me up tonight.

#568095 12/18/07 05:26 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Way too short a time! But big celebration planned? Do you do the turkey thing and decorate?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#568096 12/18/07 09:35 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
That's because the Grinch doesn't juggle potato salad.

Just spouting off.
#568097 12/18/07 10:30 AM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Way too short a time! But big celebration planned? Do you do the turkey thing and decorate?
It will be pretty low key. Normally we go to my Mom's place in Alberta, and she's Mrs. Christmas!
Lights and decorations everywhere, big feast, every kind of baked goods and candies you can imagine. Honestly, I don't know how she does it.

I will have a tree. In fact I already do, had it delivered yesterday. Still trying to get it up properly; it's at a rather jaunty angle right now. It's a gorgeous Fraser fir that's almost as wide as it is tall (and it's 7' tall!) and it weighs a ton. I do not recommend trying to put up a Christmas tree by yourself!

No turkey as Shawn is a vegetarian. Actually Christmas dinner will be a potluck at his grandparents nursing home, so I just have to take care of desert.

I've just never been alone during the holidays before, so I guess I'm feeling rather sorry for myself. I suppose it's normal for lots of folks, but I've been really lucky so far.

How about you FC? Big family gathering?

#568098 12/18/07 10:31 AM
mechana Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
That's because the Grinch doesn't juggle potato salad.
laugh

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,189
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star