Roll Call
0 members (), 45 Murran Spies, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/28/24 09:57 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Philosophy Question for EDE (or anyone)
#571021 11/06/12 03:19 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I'm thinking primarily of EDE when I ask this question, but if anyone else knows, please chime in.

What is the word (or is there even a word) for the phenomenon by which an individual's total concept of something isn't informed only by thing itself, but rather as a clustered set of ideas peripheral to the thing?

I know that's horribly worded, so let me give the specific example that sparked this:

I'm growing a beard right now and someone just said, "Hey... I like your Grizzly Adams look".

That got me thinking that - although, I've heard the name, "Grizzly Adams" before - I have no real recollection of who that actually is. I only have a loose concept that "Grizzly Adams" was some sort of 1970's TV mountain man. When I try to think about it, I get a sort of conglomeration of Marlin Perkins, Merlin Olsen, Euell Gibbons, Victor French, and Gentle Ben(!). So, basically, my total concept of who "Grizzly Adams" is a mental combination of all these (to me) peripheral ideas.

I sort of imagine that's how all thinking really occurs, but I was wondering if there were a specific name for the phenomenon, like an "ideoplex" or an "idea cluster", or something. (Neither one of those turn up any helpful google results).

Re: Philosophy Question for EDE (or anyone)
#571022 11/06/12 03:50 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I'm not sure if there is a specific name for what you have in mind, but what you're describing sounds like what is generally known as the "cluster theory of meaning" for proper names, which basically says that the way we pick out any individual is through a "cluster" of descriptions we associate with it, which may or may not accurately describe the thing in question.

#571023 11/06/12 04:31 PM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
*thinks*

I'd say EDE is probably really close, though I would throw in that it probably also corresponds vaguely to Mental Association or the Association of Ideas. All external stimuli are processed through the mental highway of past experience, right? So when you're thinking of Grizzly Adams you're processing a current thought through a conglomeration of past experiences and picking bits and pieces from those memories before coming to a current mental image.

#571024 11/06/12 05:05 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
What you are describing is pretty much the same as an associative array in programming. I did a little search based on that and found a concept call associative learning which is almost the same.
Neither the "array" or "learning" forms are exactly what you describe but they are very very close

#571025 11/06/12 05:39 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
It's funny you should mention programming, Viridis. That's exactly where my mind first went, too - I initially thought of clustering as used in data mining.

After checking out a few articles on "cluster theory of meaning," and "association of ideas," I'm thinking a component of the latter called "the law of contiguity" probably comes closest to what I'm talking about.

From wikipedia:

"Actions, sensations and states of feeling, occurring together or in close connexion, tend to grow together, or cohere, in such a way that, when any one of them is afterwards presented to the mind, the others are apt to be brought up in idea."

Basically, "Grizzly Adams" was a show when I was a kid, during a time when the "natural world" was a popular entertainment theme. Even if I never saw it, I was aware enough of it that my mind associates the words with other things from the same time period like "Wild Kingdom", "Little House on the Prairie", "Grape Nuts" commercials, etc.

Fascinating stuff. Thanks, guys!

#571026 11/06/12 06:43 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Actually I thought it coincidental you described that..umm, thing?
I've been working on a program for my work on the side and associative arrays are what I've been using to track everyone's qualifications, training and hours

#571027 11/15/12 08:27 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The psychological concept of a schema, which is very similar to what Conjure Lass described above, can also be related to that.

http://psychology.about.com/od/sindex/g/def_schema.htm

Note that schemas are mental frameworks that help us process new information, and tend to ignore new information that contradicts the existing schema - which explains why some of us tend to stubbornly hold on to current conceptions of things that aren't true at all! This refers not only to opinions, but also to facts.

#571028 11/15/12 10:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Note that schemas are mental frameworks that help us process new information, and tend to ignore new information that contradicts the existing schema - which explains why some of us tend to stubbornly hold on to current conceptions of things that aren't true at all! This refers not only to opinions, but also to facts.
I've always known that. wink

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#571029 11/15/12 11:03 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
btw, Merlin Olsen was Grizzly Adams smile

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#571030 11/16/12 12:09 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
No... I think you're suffering the same sort of memory clustering that I was, Vee.

Although I don't remember the show, I did look it up and "Grizzly Adams" was played by an actor named Dan Haggerty. Merlin Olsen was the ex-football player who played "Jonathan Garvey" on "Little House on the Prairie".

Both were rustic guys with beards, though. wink

#571031 11/16/12 01:30 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
yep. Dan Haggerty had a big drug bust in the 80s, and made an appeal for clemency based on protecting the kids who were his fans... at a time when anyone who remembered the show was at least in high school if not beyond.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,972
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
beardguy57
beardguy57
Philadelphia, Pa
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star