Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anyone think we need PBS
#571499 06/24/05 03:07 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Here's one of the first links i pulled up. Yes, i know its from the right, the "Free press", but that don't change actual numbers, lol.

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1151389/posts

Hope this link works. I'll keep looking around.
That's a pretty embarassing analysis. Rush must have been on extra Oxycontin that day.

"You take Nader out, I think, it's Kerry may be at 51 and Bush at 44, something like that, but figure six points here."

He THINKS?

He's doing math with guessing games, hasn't looked at the conditions of the polling, and is instead tossing out conjecture?

Sorry - this is lame by any standards.

Now Rick, back to my question about PBS:

In the absence of divinely granted objectivity by what means do you believe bias can be measured in PBS or other sources.

On what, other than your say so, do you believe decisions should be based?

#571500 06/24/05 04:06 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

For me, MY definition of "balance," is the result of debate and vote. Congress would have been remiss to not challenge the funding and force the debate. As situated, checks and balance didn't show. There had not been challenges to programming [b]that I could find
during the Clinton era. There was a wave during the term of the elder Bush. None that I could find previous to that.

If correct, that would be a bit disturbing, having that large a chunk of change going undebated. [/b]
Incidentally there was quite a bit of debate in the Clinton era when Newt Gingrich unsuccessfully tried to zero out PBS.

Of course that was when Gingrich was in the senate before becoming a political pariah.

#571501 06/24/05 04:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yes, debate again initiated by the "right," not by the left. This doens't seem at all problematic to you, from a checks and balances POV? Congress funds CPB. As out representatives, don't you think BOTH sides would on occasion have something to not like. If one never seems to, that doesn't raise any issues in your mind?

If not, I'll accept the title of "Paranoid" for both of us.

Good old Newt. Speaking of private conversations between politicos, how do you suppose a conversation between Newt and Dean would go? Suppose they'd be fighting over the binky?

#571502 06/24/05 04:27 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Yes, debate again initiated by the "right," not by the left. This doens't seem at all problematic to you, from a checks and balances POV? Congress funds CPB. As out representatives, don't you think BOTH sides would on occasion have something to not like. If one never seems to, that doesn't raise any issues in your mind?
Actually, I don't expect Congress to debate each and every line item in every budget cycle. And this year the committee - including thhe republicans - were quite explicit that this was NOT a matter of PBS's programming.

So I don't know why you'd continue to suggest there was even a debate on content anyway.
confused

And in the case of CPB, I believe it was established with internal controls (ie appointments balanced between administrations/parties) so that it would function as an independent entity - not a political football, thus necessitating LESS debate.

It doesn't surprise me that the GOP as currently configured is anti-PBS. But not because I think it's biased.

#571503 06/24/05 05:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

#571504 06/24/05 05:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Heh, reading that I realize this "debate" has move out of the "interesting" category and into the "stream of consciousness" category. The whole shebang probably better belongs on the Spaceopoly forum lol

#571505 06/24/05 05:53 PM
A
Active
Active
A
What was the last thing on PBS that was biased?

#571506 06/24/05 07:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, on NPR...just about anything by Steve Inskeep.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#571507 06/24/05 08:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Heh, reading that I realize this "debate" has move out of the "interesting" category and into the "stream of consciousness" category. The whole shebang probably better belongs on the Spaceopoly forum lol
I agree that we've set new highs for quibbling over minutia on this one. Well, y'all have... I've been playing the role of kibbitzing bystander on this one. But I've been super-busy too. Working 40 hours a week and taking 8 hours of computer programming classes and calculus doesn't leave much time for being a talking head on Legion World. frown

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#571508 06/25/05 05:06 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh pshaw. You mean you can't forego an interesting and lucrative career in the future to spend time bullcrappin' here with us?

Pffffffaaaaaagggghhhh!

*Cries out in a sterntonin, hambone manner much like that of bad theatre

"Revoke his membership, I say!"

Something pithy!
#571509 06/25/05 07:50 AM
Substitute
Substitute

#571510 06/25/05 08:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
"The majority of those polled".

Which says nothing about the intelligence, the dispostition, etc... of those polled.

So, you can have a poll where the majority of people believe the sun is green and the moon is made of bratwurst. Doesn't mean that the poll is worth a damn, does it?

Something pithy!
#571511 06/25/05 08:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
One little question for you, Joe.

you said this:

"If bias can't be accounted how can it be shown to exist?

And if it can't be shown to exist how can it's presence be ""clear"?"

so, my question is...

does LOVE exist?

If you would, give the numbers that quantify it. The empirical data on what form it exists in. Solid, liquid, gaseous?

Something pithy!
#571512 06/25/05 03:00 PM
Substitute
Substitute
"The majority of those polled".

Which says nothing about the intelligence, the dispostition, etc... of those polled.

So, you can have a poll where the majority of people believe the sun is green and the moon is made of bratwurst. Doesn't mean that the poll is worth a damn, does it?
The thing about a democratric model is the intelligence, disposition, etc doesn't matter.

Nor does it matter to questions that are subjective in nature. The composition of the moon is not a subjective matter.

Polls are not useful for determining non subjective information. Polls are, however, quite good for gathering opinion. Whether you respect the opinion is another matter. And what you do with the opinion is yet another.

But please believe me when I say that while I support the democratic model 100%, a part of me would be delighted if there were an IQ requirement.

One little question for you, Joe.

you said this:

"If bias can't be accounted how can it be shown to exist?

And if it can't be shown to exist how can it's presence be ""clear"?"

so, my question is...

does LOVE exist?

If you would, give the numbers that quantify it. The empirical data on what form it exists in. Solid, liquid, gaseous?
Love, to my knowledge, does not exist outside a purely subjective experience.

But please note, I did not ask if bias exists. I asked how it can be shown to exist, and how its presence can be "clear". This is something very different.

Whether someone loves or is biased is a subjective opinion. You may believe it, and you might be right or might be wrong. I don't think anyone can reliably tell whether someone else feels love or not.

And that goes back to my question: In the absence of divinely granted objectivity by what means do you believe bias can be measured in PBS or other sources?

On what, other than your say so, do you believe decisions should be based?

I don't know why these questions seem to pose such a problem.

#571513 06/26/05 07:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
But thats just it, Joe. Determination of bias can also be subjective, whether you like to believe that or not. Those that dont want to see a bias, or think that seeing a bias would hurt their side will never admit to it. Dan Rather will die being unwilling to admit that he was a huge proponent of yellow journalism. He is just incapable of admitting it. He would regain massive amounts of credibility if he did for honest and real, but he never will.

Bias isnt only something quantatative is my point. It IS often in the eye of the beholder, because people approach things from different angles in life.

Terri Gross hates conservatives. She doesn't think that that colors her interviews, but i have heard her use the smarmy "gotcha" attitude and way of interviewing, and no, im not talking about bill orielly's interview.

Steve Inskeep tends to use incredulity and disbelief as his major weapon in trying to drive his point home on things he believes in.

Sorry man, i never claimed to have divine whatever, but neither am i stupid, and yes, i can filter not only information, but tone, reason, and purpose into the equation as well.

You can keep demanding empirical data on bias all you like, you can keep saying it hasn't been shown all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that some people that think for themselves are able to see a bias, on BOTH sides. Just because some poll taker or some government group hasn't said that it takes place doesn't mean that it hasn't.

As for why a republican wouldn't publish it if it went against or for him in a poll, there are many reasons, not the least of which is backroom dealing to get something he needs from a member of another party. He may even have a beef against a member of his own party and want to stick it in and break it off, much like John McCain and everyone else.

Reality is reality. People have unconcious reasons for things, sometimes buried so deep they destroy their lives without ever knowing it. Not admitting picking up on a bias of someone else's would hardly register for some people.

Something pithy!
#571514 06/26/05 07:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'd like to hear a definition of "people who think for themselves," actually.

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#571515 06/27/05 06:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Pretty simple. We don't fall in along party lines "just because". We are capable of reviewing as much information as we can find, both that given to us and that which we find on our own, and from there proceeding. We are able to come to a conclusion as to the 'good sense' direction to take. Notice, i said 'good', not common.

Believe it or not, and i doubt you will, lol, i have crossed 'party' lines on more than one occasion. I do believe in the freedom of speech, for everyone, not just the politically correct ones, because i believe in that quote "i may not agree with what you say, but i will defend unto death your right to say it!" to paraphrase. You see, letting the dumbasses and evil ones have their say identifies them, gets them out in the open, exposes them to scrutiny, and allows you to defeat their arguements with reason and logic.

Thats why i believe that dumbasses like the worshipers of satan get a right to speak and have their religion. For one thing, i think it ironic that they think about god a lot more than some supposed christians. Cause without God, there is no satan.

I do think the neo-nazi's should be allowed to march and preah their hate, because this gives us a chance to see just who are the weakminded, the stupid, the sorry ones, and to obliterate their arguements.

I do think that a drunken driver is no different from a guy that fires a gun into a crowd. I don't think that two years is enough for vehicular homicide. And yet, i don't think the states should have the power to require seatbelts for everyone just because the insurance companies pay them enough to cover their asses.

Like it or not, just because you identify more with the conservative side doesn't mean you march in lockstep, are a religious fanatic, or a part of "unsophisticated fly-over country".

The good thing about "fly over" country people, they tend to distill the bovine fecal matter out and get to the basics of the thing. We have a tendancy to not be paralyzed by "nuance". Thats for diplomats, not for the basic governing of the country.

The bad thing is that sometimes, some conservatives do tend to get a holier than thou attitude.

And i see the same thing on the left as well.

Something pithy!
#571516 12/12/08 06:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Its been a while, i was just going over some old threads and this one popped up.

Financial collapse. Called it. wink

Government realizing that tax cuts will help the economy? Hmmm, from what i hear, Obama has already gone back on his word and will NOT be raising taxes on the rich.

Still, all in all, this was one hellashishly fine debate.

Something pithy!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Neemers
Neemers
Oregon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star