Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 114 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/28/24 08:39 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:30 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/28/24 06:26 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Only in Texas... I Hope
#573259 06/11/09 06:32 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Re: Only in Texas... I Hope
#573260 06/11/09 06:46 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
I saw this on the news last night and was incredulous. Then I saw the deputy's commanding officer and thought he was Mahoney's nemesis in Police Academy... shake

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#573261 06/11/09 07:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Cool. He nuked grandma. She was beligerent, thought that being old granted her special privaledges, and veering into traffic that could not only have injured her, but anyone that happened to be the one that hit her. That'll be the new cry of the people desperately wanting the cops to be bad so they have someone to rail against. "Don't tase me, young man!"

*Admittedly, i have only read the article, not seen the video.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#573262 06/11/09 07:38 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Well, I think he was justified for the first shock, but did not need to do the second one. That just seems like he did it for spite.

As per rickshaw1 I have not seen the video and base my comment purely on the article.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#573263 06/11/09 07:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
She asked for it, she got it, she survived it.

Non-story but should make for a decent SNL skit.

#573264 06/11/09 09:19 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Meanwhile, in Connecticut, a chimpanzee in a police uniform tased a child worker at the central nutmeg processing plant...

[Rodent-English translations provided courtesy of telepathic earplugs.]
#573265 06/11/09 09:26 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
How did we ever mange to keep 4 foot eleven angry old women out of traffic before tasers? This goes beyond poor judgment. It's a shocking example cruelty. It illustrates the point that police are too often using tasers too casually. Tasers have an appropriate place in law enforcement as alternative to deadly force. They can, however, be just as deadly as a gun in some situations - particularly with children, people with certain medical conditions, and the elderly.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#573266 06/12/09 02:41 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I've seen the video, but I don't think it sheds much light on the incident.

It's interesting that press coverage highlights the fact that she's 72 years old and a great-grandmother, as if these facts automatically make her a victim and the police officer, by contrast, the bad guy. Most of us have an image of a "sweet little old lady" in our minds when hear such terms, but this image obscures the fact that anyone can belligerent or dangerous.

I'm inclined to agree with Quis that the first tasing may have been necessary but not the second. I also agree with BB that this should not be a major news story.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#573267 06/12/09 02:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Jerry, have you ever seen a 4 foot 11 inch crack grandma? I see them all the time where I'm from. Redneck grannies that think nothing of hitting, stabbing, punching, kicking while out of their minds on hooch or dope. Sorry, I don't automatically assume that granny was some sweet little blue haired grandma with a basket of cookies on her way to tea with the local pta.

And with hepatitus, hiv, and about every other disease out there, I would have done the same if she was weaving into traffic. It wasn't just to protect her, but to protect other drivers that were innocent of any wrongdoing on their part. How would you like to be the guy that killed granny with your car, even though it wasn't your fault?

And you can dang well bet that if he had layed a hand on her to subdue her, it would have been police brutality in the media.

Sorry, I don't automatically assume the cops are great guys one and all, but I don't assume they are dirty either. And since I am not a cop, I don't know what rules they are operating under.

Anyway, thats just my point of view. Don't take it as an attack. Believe me, after spending four months trying to correct an erroneous ticket, with my wife arrested, handcuffed, mugs taken, and a night in the county lockup (when the cause was an employee that embezzled the cash money she paid her ticket with), I have no love lost for the system. But I don't automatically follow anything the media says anymore without throwing an entire box of salt on it, let alone a grain.

Something pithy!
#573268 06/12/09 10:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My objection is to the casual use of tazers. Of course not all elderly people are sweet. We had the perfect example of that this week with the old guy who entered the Holocaust Museum with a rifle. The security officers used deadly force against him and it was absolutely appropriate in that situation.

Do a quick google on taser deaths. There are countless news stories of people who have died after being tased. Their use should be reserved for situations where something close to deadly force is justified, because that is frequently the outcome. This woman may have been intoxicated or, more likely, is mentally ill. Yes, I think grabbing her or tackling her would have been more appropriate.

I work with addicts and people with diagnosed mental illnesses. Usually both. I've had to rely on police officers to help me out of sticky situations more than I like to think about. God bless them. I had an incident a few months ago where an addict got out of control with me and a coworker called the police. The guy ran when he saw them . He darted out into six lanes of rush hour traffic. He came close to getting hit. The police were armed. They did not pull their guns and try to shoot the guy to stop him from running into the traffic. I don't think that would have been a justified use of deadly force. I don't think tasing a short angry elderly woman in the situation described is justified either.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#573269 06/13/09 08:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Jerry, sounds like you do good work. But, and I stress that I am not attacking you, the real world frequently operates under wierd constraints.

Its easy enough to stand back from a distance and say what should or should not be done in certain circumstances. Any and all methods used to subdue people can lead to serious injury or death. Grab a guys arm and it might be the one guy that has a blockage that breaks loose and gives him a heart attack or stroke. The choke hold was used successfully far far more than it killed, but the reported incidents of death made it illegal in most police forces.

I might not have tased her the second time, but if she refused to follow directions, was weaving into traffic and putting herself and others at risk, and attacking, yup, I'dda shocked the crap outta her and got her away from the situation.

Something pithy!
#573270 06/13/09 09:10 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Well, at least the lady wasn't a vicious dachsund .

#573271 06/13/09 10:42 AM
Pov Offline OP
Don't Stop Peelieving
OP Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
rotflmao Dear Lord, save me from the lunging Daschund...! confused

He should have tasered the dog... the worst outcome woulda been a weinie roast... wink

#573272 06/13/09 11:47 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I also think "how to use tazors" is a work in progress. As a teacher I know that sometimes I go to quickly to the Dean referral and get the kid out of my hair instead of trying to reason it out. This can be a problem with a quick remedy, it's not always the best remedy.

#573273 06/13/09 10:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
DEATH TO SCHNAUZZERS...DAMN ANKLEBITERS!

wink

Something pithy!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,983
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
jab
jab
mini mall island
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star