Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Re: Star Trek / Enterprise
#574710 07/10/11 08:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Uh oh!! Cryogenic tubes? That usually means trouble...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#574711 07/10/11 08:44 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Love you, LASH!
sigh
I'm going to have to go over these myself since I either don't remember the episode you're talking about or I thought they were further along in the series.
shrug

Oh, and the actress who played Tasha wanted to leave the series so they had to write her out.
They chose to kill her, of course - she was a red shirt (security) after all!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#574712 07/10/11 09:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Uh oh!! Cryogenic tubes? That usually means trouble...
I was right. I wanted to smack that good ol' country boy musician guy and tell him to open his mouth fully when he speaks!! Could barely stand to look at him talk!

So, Romulans eh? That should be interesting!

I'll have to start Season 2 soon.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#574713 07/10/11 09:42 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Yay! Just when I was lamenting the fact that having Capt. Picard remain on the ship most of the time prevented any of the other crew from ever stepping up to command (I always enjoyed seeing how Spock, Scott and others handled it on TOS), along comes 'The Arsenal of Freedom' episode... Geordi did very well! smile

OK I'm pretty into TNG now.
i still call shenanigans on TGN, i think it was the 1st season, a guy fires a phaser at Picard and he just easily side-steps it WTF?!?! and the phasers from the 1st season always looked like dust busters to me.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#574714 07/10/11 05:07 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Yay! Just when I was lamenting the fact that having Capt. Picard remain on the ship most of the time prevented any of the other crew from ever stepping up to command (I always enjoyed seeing how Spock, Scott and others handled it on TOS), along comes 'The Arsenal of Freedom' episode... Geordi did very well! smile

OK I'm pretty into TNG now.
One of the aspects of the original series that TNG tried to "correct" was the lack of credibility of the captain placing himself in danger every episode.

Even so, TNG did an outstanding job of making sure Picard got in his fair share of dangerous situations.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#574715 07/10/11 05:09 PM
Oh NOOO!!!

just when I was warming to Lt. Yar, they kill her off!! I couldn't believe it--!!

And what a send-off they gave her... after her holo addressed everyone at the funeral, I was in tears. I still can't believe they did it...

[snip]

I'll miss Tasha.
Just to keep you in suspense, this isn't the absolute last we see of Yar or of Denise Crosby. laugh

#574716 07/10/11 05:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
[b] Oh NOOO!!!

just when I was warming to Lt. Yar, they kill her off!! I couldn't believe it--!!

And what a send-off they gave her... after her holo addressed everyone at the funeral, I was in tears. I still can't believe they did it...

[snip]

I'll miss Tasha.
Just to keep you in suspense, this isn't the absolute last we see of Yar or of Denise Crosby. laugh [/b]
Yep, especially that one episode from season 3 that's probably my favorite of the series... nod

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#574717 07/10/11 05:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Y'know, it's seriously WEIRD to imagine someone discovering TNG for the first time and without having been spoiled along the way! I envy you, Lash!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#574718 07/10/11 06:00 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh NOOO!!!

I *HATE* that Armus creature for this!!

Deanna Troi was fantastic throughout the episode and has definitely catapulted to my favorite character on the show.

Data and Beverly Crusher are way up there too. I guess I love all of 'em now... I'll miss Tasha.
Tasha Yar was my favorite character way back when. (she even knocked boots with data ... to use slang contemporary with the show)

frown

It was abrupt and senseless, just like real life.

Troi gets a lot of good episodes throughout the series. And Bev is my favorite, she saves the day many times.

BTW I love experiencing these episodes with you Lash, it's almost like i get to do it again for the first time!!! laugh

#574719 07/11/11 08:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Season 2:

Where is my Beverly Crusher!!! I'm not so sure about this Dr. Pulaski woman. I miss Dr. Crusher. frown

Why anyone chooses to leave a plum job like being on STar Trek is beyond me.

Also, I've never cared for the "accelerated-birth-accelerated-growth" plot... and I didn't care for it here either; I think it was a rather cruel thing to do to Deanna Troi.

I vaguely recall knowing of Whoopi Goldberg being on TNG. The ship already HAS a counselor, not sure why she is needed, but we will see how her character develops.

#574720 07/11/11 08:26 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I miss Dr. Crusher. frown

Why anyone chooses to leave a plum job like being on Star Trek is beyond me.
Gates McFadden's scheduling conflicted with a blink-and-you'll-miss it role as Harrison Ford's wife in a Tom Clancy movie, IIRC.

Unlike Denise Crosboy asking for 'a few weeks off' to film her part in Pet Semetary, the character of Beverly Crusher at least managed to fare better than getting ganked by an angry oil spill!

The behind-the-scenes stuff is often funny and sometimes pretty surprising. (Gene Roddenberry liked Patrick Stewart, but *loathed* the idea of him playing the captain, and wanted an actual French actor, much younger and built for action and romance roles, with hair, and Patrick Stewart didn't bother unpacking for the first two months, because he thought that Gene was going to fire him, or the show was going to fail...)

My biggest surprise with the Next Generation was the character of Data, since I'd speculated that some sort of upgrade of Dr. Dayton's 'multitronic unit' could be an android crewman a few years before the show came out.

Data wasn't based on Daystrom or his multitronic stuff, and was instead given a very squiffy link to Khan Noonian Singh (Khhaaaannnnn!), but I still felt a bit prescient, to see an android crewman!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#574721 07/11/11 08:55 AM
I liked Kate Pulaski. Diana Muldaur brought a very different dynamic to the show: she was authoritarian and could hold her own with the captain. She looked and acted more like an accomplished medical professional than Crusher, IMO.

Not to take anything away from McFadden. She was believable in a different way and interacted with the rest of the crew in a more natural, Star Trek-like ("we're all family") manner. I was glad when

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">she returned to the show from the third season on.</span></span>

Slightly off-topic, but I've posted my thoughts on Star Trek V and Star Trek VI on my blog .

#574722 07/11/11 09:12 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It always smacks my sac when some so-called "higher" nigh-omnipotent life form deems US "too aggressive"... this coming AFTER it killed a crewman cold-heartedly as an EXPERIMENT.

Kirk would have reamed the thing out for that... Picard wants to be its BFF.

#574723 07/11/11 09:18 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
I liked Kate Pulaski. Diana Muldaur brought a very different dynamic to the show: she was authoritarian and could hold her own with the captain. She looked and acted more like an accomplished medical professional than Crusher, IMO.
One thing that bugged me after Tasha's departure from the show is that the roles of women on the ship were left as caregiver / teacher / counselor type of roles, while the action roles tended to be dominated by men (with it even becoming a plot point in later seasons, when Deanna attempts to earn a promotion to command rank out of her 'support role').

Not every female character needs to be a Tasha or a Kira Nerys or an Ensign Ro or a B'Ehlanna Torres, but I like the idea that 'gender roles' would have been more strongly pushed aside in later centuries.

Even in those four cases, three of them are the butt-kicking strong women they are because of past victimization or growing up in horrible circumstances, and B'Ehlanna is half-Klingon, and so gets away with a stronger and more confronstational characterization.

K'Ehlayr was my favorite, 'though.

If they ever make a Starfleet Academy series (which, reportedly, was the plan for the next seriies after Next Gen, and, again, was floated as the next possible show before Enterprise), I'd love to see Starfleet Academy with a higher than normal percentage of Klingon female cadets, since it's been shown consistently that women aren't given equal opportunities in the Empire, and yet are tough-as-nails and every bit as competent as the male Klingons. A few thousand years of the glass ceiling in the Empire, I could see dozens, if not hundreds, of competent young Klingon women up and leaving, to somewhere where there is no glass ceiling.

The same logic would apply even more to Ferengi females, woefully mistreated by the male Ferengi, but proving time and again to be their equals. A mass exodus of fed-up Ferengi females, relocating to Federation worlds, where, even as refugees, they'd get better treatment than they would in Ferengi space, could make a fun sort of 24th century version of the old play Lysistrata.

#574724 07/11/11 12:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
MMLASHI vaguely recall knowing of Whoopi Goldberg being on TNG. The ship already HAS a counselor, not sure why she is needed, but we will see how her character develops.
I always liked the scenes she was in. Quark had a similar role in Deep Space Nine, which is my favorite Star Trek series. If and when you start watching Deep Space Nine, we should review them together.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#574725 07/11/11 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Set:
One thing that bugged me after Tasha's departure from the show is that the roles of women on the ship were left as caregiver / teacher / counselor type of roles, while the action roles tended to be dominated by men (with it even becoming a plot point in later seasons, when Deanna attempts to earn a promotion to command rank out of her 'support role').

True.

Even though all versions of Star Trek are set in an enlightened future, the show still must appeal to an audience of the present day, and TV audiences are notoriously reluctant to embrace change. Majel Barrett said it was *female* viewers who objected most strongly to her character, Number One, as first officer in "The Cage" when the pilot was previewed at science fiction conventions.

Even in the 1980s and maybe not even today are we that far removed from traditional notions of gender roles. Star Trek has always challenged such notions but has often had to do so in subtle ways (the episode of Troi's promotion is an outstanding example).

#574726 07/11/11 02:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Emily Sivana:
[b]MMLASHI vaguely recall knowing of Whoopi Goldberg being on TNG. The ship already HAS a counselor, not sure why she is needed, but we will see how her character develops.
I always liked the scenes she was in. Quark had a similar role in Deep Space Nine, which is my favorite Star Trek series. If and when you start watching Deep Space Nine, we should review them together.[/b]
I'll be glad to! I intend now to check out all the Star Trek series I have missed, which is all of them except TOS.

Does Deep Space Nine come before or after Voyager? Star Trek continuitywise, I mean. Both come after TNG, right? Or do they occur during the same period? I'm a little in the dark. smile

(I understand ST Enterprise is the earliest ST continuitywise, but I do want to start that last)

#574727 07/11/11 02:07 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This might be stating something that everyone else knows already, but I want to add that Diana Muldaur, who played Dr. Pulaski in the NEXT GENERATION series, was a guest star in two original series Star Trek episodes. One was as a blind official (ambassador?) in IS THERE IN TRUTH NO BEAUTY? and the other was a crewmember who, along with Kirk and Spock, is possessed by a soul that had been long dormant in globes found in a cave in the episode RETURN TO TOMORROW.

#574728 07/11/11 03:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'll be glad to! I intend now to check out all the Star Trek series I have missed, which is all of them except TOS.

Does Deep Space Nine come before or after Voyager? Star Trek continuitywise, I mean. Both come after TNG, right? Or do they occur during the same period? I'm a little in the dark. smile

(I understand ST Enterprise is the earliest ST continuitywise, but I do want to start that last)
Deep Space Nine started in 1993 and Voyager started in 1995. Deep Space Nine's tone is a bit different from previous series but in a good way.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#574729 07/11/11 03:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks-- once I get through (or need a break from) TNG, I will start on DS9!

#574730 07/11/11 03:42 PM
As for continuity/time period, STTNG is established as having taken place during 2364-2370, DS9 from 2369-75, and Voyager from 2371-78. The overlap made it easier to do crossovers and guest appearances.

An authoritative source on all things Trek is the wiki Memory Alpha .

#574731 07/11/11 04:52 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Thanks-- once I get through (or need a break from) TNG, I will start on DS9!
IMO DS9 didn't get really good till the 4th season which was the start of the Dominion War,..when Avery Brooks decided to make SIsko resemble his character Hawk from "Spencer for Hire"
i'll even speak a little blasphemy by saying that if Babylon 5 hadn't of been around and was so good out of the box, DS9 would'nt of gotten better.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#574732 07/11/11 06:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
[/QUOTE]Yep, especially that one episode from season 3 that's probably my favorite of the series... nod [/QB][/QUOTE]

O M G Lardy. Me too! I watched it again last night.

#574733 07/11/11 07:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Is Babylon 5 part of STAR TREK too?!?!

#574734 07/11/11 08:45 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Babylon 5 is a very different show (lower budget, at the time, among other things), but also turns into something awesome in seasons three and four.

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,972
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
beardguy57
beardguy57
Philadelphia, Pa
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star