Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
So last night i started to give a woman a STD...
#574807 04/19/06 02:25 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
well, start the rumor anyway.

Yesterday was my wife's birthday, and i took her out to dinner. Started out to be very nice, and then in walks Ms. "I've watched to many Apprentices".

Yeup, you guessed it. They sat right behind my wife, the woman gets a call on one of those damn walkie talkie phones, and then proceeds to shout responses to the idiot at the other end of the line. This goes on for about 5 minutes, and normally i would tell the harpy to shut the hell up so the rest of the restuarant could enjoy the meal that THEY were paying for, but it's my wife's birthday, so i make nice.

but just for a moment there, as we were leaving, I started to tell her in a loud voice that doctors now had a cure for the syphlis that she just told us she had in her conversation.

You should know, sometimes hell flies in me and I do things i shouldn't. But i held it in last night. Nor did i bitch slap the gone to seed diminutive former bodybuilder that was sitting there quietly allowing this rudeness to take place.

But lordy lordy would i have liked to.

Is this a sign i am growing up, or just getting old? Don't know.

But i was disappointed in myself that i am mellowing out some.

Damned responsible parenthood junk. Takes all the fun outta life.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: So last night i started to give a woman a STD...
#574808 04/20/06 01:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's against the law to hit somebody but, alas, not to talk loudly on cell phones in public places about matters best kept to a small circle of friends.

However, some places like theatres are banning cell phones. Perhaps you could lodge a responsible parenthood complaint with the restaurant and suggest they do the same.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#574809 04/21/06 03:22 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I could, but where's the fun in that? Most people don't respond to being nice if they are stupid enough to do something like that in the first place. They are either showing off, in which case i could have whipped out the treo i carry for work ( i could never afford it on my own), or they are looking for attention. But it is a specific kind of attention. I prefer to respond in the form of public humiliation.

It's generally painless, no animals are harmed, and the point is driven home, preferably at the blunt end of a wooden spoon.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#574810 04/21/06 04:27 AM
Deputy
Deputy
But don't you find that most people don't realise just how annoying they are actually being - therefore the required change of sensitivity doesn't happen.

i.e. instead of thinking 'yes, I was loud and obnoxious, thank you for humiliating me in public causing me to re-evaluate my public persona and the way that I act' they merely think 'C*NT!!!"

Or do you even care?

It was nice to hear of you reining in the inner beast to keep your loved one happy. That way there's generally more chance of her letting your beast out to make her happy again later.
At least that's what I find.

Hic!
#574811 04/21/06 08:02 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
rick, I'm betting your wife enjoyed your more gentleman attitude. I'm with you tho', would have been nice to instruct her rudeness on how to be a pain in the ass.

Just a suggestion, ask a waiter to say something. Most places of note frown on obnoxious cellphone abuse. And Numf is right, odds are it wouldn't make her stop and think.

Save your anger for the parking lot. No witnesses, and I'm sure you could take her.

Just spouting off.
#574812 04/21/06 11:50 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I echo CJ in saying that you should have said something to the waiter or the manager. Though I think that the woman would have still felt insulted because she "wasn't doing anything wrong".

Here is my cell phone story. I was in a hospital waiting room with my dad. He was going to get an MRI. There was a sign saying "no cell phone use. It interfers with the machinery." Although the sign was hanging up, I didn't even notice the sign right away. Still, this couple comes in and her cell phone goes off. She starts talking. About 5 minutes later, a nurse comes into the waiting room and points out the sign and tells her she needs to stop using the phone. Now instead of saying to the person on the other end "I have to hang up" and doing so, the woman keeps talking.

Similarly, I hate when you are in line, a person ahead is talking on their cell phone and keep talking even when they are being waited on. Don't any of these people know the words "Can you hold on for a minute." or "I have to hang up now."?

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#574813 04/21/06 12:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Mobile phones are a scourge upon the Earth.

Just for you Rick, next time I hear half of a teenage girls' conversation about how the girl (on the other end of the line)'s dad walked in on her in a compromising position with a pimply faced teenaged boy. I'll make a big scene.

So that should be the next time I take a bus around 4:30 in the afternoon.

#574814 04/26/06 07:36 PM
Reservist
Reservist
I work at a college, and the students will stand out in the hallway talking loudly...in the classroom buildings...and outside of my office!

I've heard people tell stories of diseases, abuse, sexual revelations, their criminal records...you name it, people today seem to have no problem talking about it loudly into a cellphone.

I hope the FCC approves places installing cellphone signal disruptors...

#574815 04/26/06 09:27 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
[img]http://pics.livejournal.com/risty77/pic/0003p3hq[/img] [img]http://pics.livejournal.com/risty77/pic/0003cegf[/img]

That second one is HIV, btw. Just thought I'd share the fuzzy microbe STDs of joy. wink laugh

#574816 05/19/06 02:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Watch out for those cell phones!

from The Consumerist

If you’ve ever wanted to kill someone for yakking on their cellphone, watch out. They may be packing heat.

NYC Police have been alerted to be on the lookout for guns disguised as cellphones. They fire .22 caliber bullets when the numbers 4,5,6, and 7 are pressed.

“Law-enforcement agencies overseas have reported the recovery of several caches of .22-caliber handguns disguised as cellular phones,” notes an internal NYPD Operation Order. Cops have been told to use “extreme caution” handling cellphones when they search suspects, and that “This gun is very difficult to detect visually.”

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#574817 05/19/06 11:42 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
You did the right thing, rick. Thinking of your wife first is better than any satisfaction you may have gotten from trying to embarrass the cell phone user.

The waiter may have chosen not to get involved --after all, the cell phone user was a customer and wasn't doing anything wrong, he might have said.

My own cell phone story is that several years ago, I belonged to a church group which met in our homes to pray for one another and share our stories. When it came time for me to share my story, one of the other members received a cell phone call. He excused himself to go into an adjacent room, where he proceeded to talk -- very loudly -- while I was relating my story.

I was so caught up, however, in telling my story (which was rather difficult for me, as I was shy in those days), that I didn't even notice how rude he was being, until one of the others later pointed it out. There was probably nothing I could have done differently, in any case. It would have been up to the host to ask him to stop or go outside.

The lesson I learned from this is that it's best to ignore such cloddish behavior. Attempts to get justice or satisfaction usually backfire, unless one has the authority to enforce an anti-cell phone policy (which I do in the classroom, when I teach). But in a public place such as a restaurant, the rules are often unclear. What is offensive to some might not be offensive to others. I cannot control what others do, but I refuse to allow their behavior to ruin my meal.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#574818 05/30/06 03:22 PM
Active
Active
You are all better people then me, for I must confess, when confronted by an ass, I turn into something like SheHulk, or more accurately, Roseanne Barr. I totally get in their face and call them on whatever it is that is causing the fuss, a cell phone call, public swearing, a screaming child, whatever. And I fight to win.

Yesterday in a crowded craft store (Joann's) there was a mother who was seemingly oblivious to her brat who was shrieking "Mommy" over and over to get her attention and then whining about wanting everything in the aisle. At almsot the same time, Scott yells out "Take it home and put it to bed!" and I yell out "For the love of God, shut it up!" It was too funny!!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,253
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
saturnrings
saturnrings
durham, nc
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star