Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 05:19 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 60 of 86 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 85 86
Re: So what are you WATCHING?
DrakeB3004 #814819 07/20/14 07:00 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by DrakeB3004
The second big reveal seemed a bit tacked on since it seemed as though they had already settled it (even though I thought the way they initially settled it was a bit of a cop-out)

I know, right? It was almost like they realized that
revealing that Veronica's rape was consensual after all really undermined the power of that first episode and the underlying themes (which it did), so they fixed that, albeit with something that made sense from the pre-established timeline. Only problem is: does this mean that Veronica was both raped AND had consensual sex the same night?!?! confused (Pardon me if this was cleared up in Season 3.... shrug )

Still, caveats aside, GREAT finale!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Ultra Jorge #814864 07/20/14 10:19 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I finally watched "Gravity." It gave me a headache, but in a good way. If I'd known it was the Moon Landing anniversary I might have waited a day. It doesn't seem right.

Last edited by matlock; 07/21/14 06:35 PM.
Ultra Jorge #814913 07/21/14 05:54 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So glad you got to the season 2 finale!

First things first, it was awesome, wasn't it?! Just when you think the season one finale can't be topped, they really upped things to the max to give it a run for its money.

The fake out you mention was one I didn't believe either but it certainly made those few minutes as intense as possible, and reiterated what a real rival the big bad was for Veronica in terms of pure smarts and cleverness.

So getting into the reveals:

I think Cassidy was an awesome, fantastic nemesis for Veronica this season. Whereas Logan's dad was pure villainy in a creepy, sinister way, Cassidy was excellent as someone Veronica's age who is intelligent and clever, and like Veronica, someone easily under-estimated. But beyond all that, his story is tragic and very similar to Veronica's, except of course, he went in a different direction. This is exemplified by his inability to get intimate with Mac earlier that ep. His story is not an easy one. The actor really nails it at the end too: when Logan calls him Beaver, he replies "my name is Cassidy!!!"

And while nothing compared to other things going on, it was tough to see him use Veronica's taser on her.

The other revelation is one that totally caught me by surprise as well, but one I've really liked upon multiple rewatches of the whole show. The conclusion to her rape in season 1 always felt like a little bit of a cop out and this rectifies that. Even more, the way it's done is as if all of Veronica's most inner secret fears are realized--like everything she's suspected but not spoken aloud is coming true. They do a great job laying the ground work for that sequence in the ep(s) leading up to it.

It also makes the horror of what Woody did all the more terrible, given the awful ripple effect sent through the whole town. Steve Guttenberg is great all season as Woody too.

All in all, I was very satisfied.

Your one criticism is one I can't refute, and shared for a time as well. I think over time I've realized that perhaps the single most important theme in the show is that Veronica is not alone. She is not the loner she thinks she has, and somehow someway she's found people she can rely on. Keith, above all, serves that role, but this season did a good job playing that up with Logan, who again emerges as her true love, Wallace, whose return after a way-too long absence is desperately needed, and Mac, who emerges as an awesome major supporting character (which continues even more so in season 3). Season 3 carries this theme to a natural evolution but I won't say anything about that yet.

Btw, so many awesome parts of this season:

- how about the fake out pulled by Duncan and Veronica? That episode is really brilliant from start to finish!

- how about the twist(s) with Meg? Especially after she was so great to Veronica in season 1.

- how pissed were you about Weevil's story ending the way it did? Especially since his arc season-long was really great, and felt like he was growing and changing once he moved on for the PCHers. To me, this is the single thing I disliked the most. In fact, this convo really needs you to finish season 3 and the movie in order for us to continue as I have strong thoughts on how Weevil's story had evolved from season 2 onwards.

- and how about the general awesome recurring performances by Cliff, Don Lamb, the PI she competes against, Wallace's bitchy girlfriend who you just want to strangle at a few points, the principal, etc? For a cast of true supporting players, they are fantastic from start to finish. I even loved the Irish gang of brothers at that bar, who were funny / intense enough that they show back up in season 3.

Ultra Jorge #814914 07/21/14 05:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
More thoughts:

- totally agree with Drake on the guest stars. A LOT of great actors showing up and nailing it.

- Kristen Ritter is excellent as Gia. Awesome addition and a cool, hard to describe role.

- Lardy, they never clear it up one way or another but yes, I believe Veronica had sex with Duncan and was raped in the same night.

- Madison: love, love, love to hate her.

Cobalt Kid #814916 07/21/14 06:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

First things first, it was awesome, wasn't it?! Just when you think the season one finale can't be topped, they really upped things to the max to give it a run for its money.

Even more, it felt like it was really an uber-finale because the major things that happened in Season One also dove-tailed there in such an awesome way!

I think Cassidy was an awesome, fantastic nemesis for Veronica this season. Whereas Logan's dad was pure villainy in a creepy, sinister way, Cassidy was excellent as someone Veronica's age who is intelligent and clever, and like Veronica, someone easily under-estimated. But beyond all that, his story is tragic and very similar to Veronica's, except of course, he went in a different direction. This is exemplified by his inability to get intimate with Mac earlier that ep. His story is not an easy one. The actor really nails it at the end too: when Logan calls him Beaver, he replies "my name is Cassidy!!!"

Part of the tearing up I experienced in this finale was because I felt just as betrayed by Cassidy/Beaver as Veronica did. He was a character that I had admired as it had seemed he had stepped up for Veronica when she was helpless at that party. Plus, his cleverness with what he did after his father's downfall and having to deal with his brother's relentless abuse.

This finale was brilliant in how it turned everything we thought we knew about him on its head while not contradicting anything we'd seen--just pulling the veil off what we'd perceived. In a way I wish we'd learned even more about him before his death, but life doesn't usually work that way. It really makes me want to re-watch every one of Cassidy's scenes throughout the series.

I can see from the first episode of S3 that Dick's still around, and we see him act human for the first time at the end of it. So I'm interested to see what they do with him.

And while nothing compared to other things going on, it was tough to see him use Veronica's taser on her.

Definitely. It was kind of subliminal for me, but I can see now that Cassidy was really designed as Veronica's opposite number/dark reflection.

The other revelation is one that totally caught me by surprise as well, but one I've really liked upon multiple rewatches of the whole show. The conclusion to her rape in season 1 always felt like a little bit of a cop out and this rectifies that. Even more, the way it's done is as if all of Veronica's most inner secret fears are realized--like everything she's suspected but not spoken aloud is coming true. They do a great job laying the ground work for that sequence in the ep(s) leading up to it.

I was definitely disappointed when the rape was "revealed" not to be one for a while. It's not that I wanted her to have suffered like that, but it had been such a woven element of the show and one that was very brave. The chlamydia thing leading up to it confused me. I thought that this meant Duncan slept with Kendall that time after all. I'd NO IDEA this was going where it went!

It also makes the horror of what Woody did all the more terrible, given the awful ripple effect sent through the whole town. Steve Guttenberg is great all season as Woody too.

I had Woody as the bus culprit from the moment he appeared, I'm not ashamed to admit. I also subcribed wholly into Duncan being Lilly's killer because of a psychotic break, too! blush

Me, too! Fuck, YEAH!

Your one criticism is one I can't refute, and shared for a time as well. I think over time I've realized that perhaps the single most important theme in the show is that Veronica is not alone. She is not the loner she thinks she has, and somehow someway she's found people she can rely on. Keith, above all, serves that role, but this season did a good job playing that up with Logan, who again emerges as her true love, Wallace, whose return after a way-too long absence is desperately needed, and Mac, who emerges as an awesome major supporting character (which continues even more so in season 3). Season 3 carries this theme to a natural evolution but I won't say anything about that yet.

You are right, of course. But I still would have really liked to have seen her outwit one of them herself.

- how about the fake out pulled by Duncan and Veronica? That episode is really brilliant from start to finish!

Very much so. Just a brilliantly-written episode!

- how about the twist(s) with Meg? Especially after she was so great to Veronica in season 1.

I saw the surprise she had coming, but I was surprised by how things ended for her.
When she was sole survivor of the bus crash, I fully expected her to pull through, so it was really sad when she didn't. It kinda sucks that her parents apparently didn't get prosecuted for child abuse. I was expecting to see a little more of that.

- how pissed were you about Weevil's story ending the way it did? Especially since his arc season-long was really great, and felt like he was growing and changing once he moved on for the PCHers. To me, this is the single thing I disliked the most. In fact, this convo really needs you to finish season 3 and the movie in order for us to continue as I have strong thoughts on how Weevil's story had evolved from season 2 onwards.

Weevil's a character I enjoy, and it was heartbreaking to see what happened to him in front of his grandma in that finale.
But you could see it coming. Weevil crosses the line a lot, and he's as responsible as the Fitzpatricks for Felix's death, as much as we sympathize with him.

- and how about the general awesome recurring performances by Cliff, Don Lamb, the PI she competes against, Wallace's bitchy girlfriend who you just want to strangle at a few points, the principal, etc? For a cast of true supporting players, they are fantastic from start to finish. I even loved the Irish gang of brothers at that bar, who were funny / intense enough that they show back up in season 3.

Veronica Mars has such a rich supporting cast, which is even better because none of them seem to be forgotten and reappear. I loved how, for example, the girl whose dog Veronica found in Season 1 pops up in a scene or two in Season 2. There's just too many great characters to name! I WILL say, though, that I LOVE me some Mac!!! love

Another thing I like is when other characters, like Wallace, Weevil, Logan, etc. do some detecting of their own, showing that Veronica's influence has been so extensive in their lives!

Last edited by Paladin; 07/21/14 10:57 PM.

Ultra Jorge #814929 07/21/14 11:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
On the advice of a certain Mr. Thothkins... I've been recently dipping my toe into some Hammer Horror.

I've watched the Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee, "Curse of Frankenstein" and the Cushing, but Lee-less, sequel, "Revenge of Frankenstein".

So, um.. thothy... when do these start getting good? I think I should just move on to the Dracula series, because - to each their own - but I've actually found these Frankenstein ones interminable.

Ultra Jorge #814930 07/21/14 11:23 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Okay Ex, you started all wrong. Start with the Draculas. Those are all great, especially the first 3.

I also recommend the Hammer sci-fi movies with Alan Quartermass.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 07/21/14 11:25 PM.
Ultra Jorge #814937 07/22/14 01:32 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Whitechapel Season Two.

Ultra Jorge #814938 07/22/14 01:36 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I watched House of the Long Shadows, with Peter Cushing, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, John Carradine ... and Desi Arnez Jr

Ultra Jorge #814953 07/22/14 06:49 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Catching up after a week camping. Just saw the Leftover episode that focused solely on Christopher Eccleston's character and it was great, probably the best episode yet. The tension as you realise he's probably going to lose everything at any moment, and then the irony of that last scene were just great.

Also saw the premiere of The Strain, and was a little underwhelmed. I started the book last week, and it's much better, which is a little bizarre, because I'm sure Del Torro wrote it with a series in mind. I'm not sure why they dumped a lot of what really worked in the book (so far).

Ultra Jorge #815025 07/22/14 04:02 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I watched Braindead last night and it was a lot of fun. If you like the Evil Dead series, you should definitely watch this movie!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Braal Janitor; 07/22/14 04:11 PM.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Ultra Jorge #815027 07/22/14 04:09 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
A big thumbs up to Braindead here too. It really captures that gore/comedy crossover perfectly.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ultra Jorge #815046 07/22/14 06:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Braindead is awesome, as is Heavenly Creatures. Even Meet the Feebles is a lot of juvenille fun. It's only after that that Jackson went downhill (I know I'm a heritc, but I don't like the LoTR stuff).

Ultra Jorge #815099 07/23/14 09:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
We are nearing the end of binge watching "Prime Suspect", which I would recommend is NOT the way to go about it. The passage of time between series I think would have added to the effectiveness of the presentation (not to mention the characters aging wouldn't be as jarring). It's an excellent show, but it gets to lose your attention if you're piling one on after another (especially if you're trying to keep one complex plot straight after just dumping the previous one).

Dave Hackett #815122 07/23/14 01:18 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Braindead is awesome, as is Heavenly Creatures. Even Meet the Feebles is a lot of juvenile fun. It's only after that that Jackson went downhill (I know I'm a heritc, but I don't like the LoTR stuff).

I like to think that he'll go back to his roots for a film with no advance screenings. The LotR fans will sit there, in costume, jaws hitting the floor as the horror begins...

I did see at least a couple of the LotR films, but I've really no lasting memory of them. Not something that I can say about Braindead smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ultra Jorge #815124 07/23/14 01:51 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Haven't posted here in a LOOOONG time. I've been watching lots of stuff. Netflix and Amazon Prime have changed my life wink

House of Cards, Hemlock Grove currently. Just finished Arrow season 1 on Netflix. I never was a Green Arrow fan. I liked some of the Mike Grell stuff...but the character himself? Eh. I did like Connor Hawke quite a bit.

Anyways, great freakin show! My wife and I both love it.

The Killing on Netflix is also excellent. I have been watching too many things...my waistline shows it. wink

Ultra Jorge #815134 07/23/14 02:39 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Welcome back, UJ!!!

Ultra Jorge #815136 07/23/14 02:46 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Ultra Jorge
House of Cards, Hemlock Grove currently. Just finished Arrow season 1 on Netflix. I never was a Green Arrow fan. I liked some of the Mike Grell stuff...but the character himself? Eh. I did like Connor Hawke quite a bit.

Hemlock Grove is strange, and yet cool.

I like how they play around with the mythology. A fair number of shows (Teen Wolf, Vampire Diaries, Bitten, True Blood) make some of the supernatural types seem like super-powers, more than anything, and these characters seem quite different, in that respect.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ultra Jorge #815149 07/23/14 05:43 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
My wife and I continue to try to be gurus on all the greatest television shows. We've recently watched a few new shows and are about to start House of Cards season 1.

True Detective really did live up to the hype and was fucking excellent from start to finish. The subject matter was right up my alley, and encompasses topics I've read about obsessively for years: satanic cults, serial murder, human trafficking rings, snuff porn and how it all ties together via ongoing cover ups by the elite. It's certainly not for the faint of heart and there are a few moments that will have your heart pounding. The cast is stellar with a lot of supporting players being outstanding but it all comes down to unforgettable, career high performances by Woody Harrelson and most of all, Matthew McConaughy. I've always thought McConaughy was "ok" but not a favorite; flash forward to the last year and you have Dallas Buyers Club, which to me was the best film of 2013--in large part because of his performance--and TD, which hit levels of excellence I honestly didn't know he had in him. The series will continue with a new cast & story (like American Horror Story and Fargo) but I think this was one of those "moments in time" series that hit something few shows hit.

Ray Donovan is another phenomenal series that hits on another topic I've researched obsessively, which is the underbelly of Hollywood, and how certain "fixers" control what goes on, what the public perception is of celebrities whose persona makes millions for people no one has ever heard of. I should say, though, that this element is largely background / setting material because what sets this show apart is the superb character drama of the title character and his family. Between great actors, writers and directors (and hell, everyone involved), we get intense drama between Ray and his wife, his kids, his father and his brothers, as secrets buried for 20 years--involving murder, the father going to jail for 20 years for said murder which he didn't commit, the abuse of a brother by a catholic priests and several other quieter but not less important secrets. All in all, a fantastic series that is highly recommended.

I also can't remember if I ever talked about Fargo before, but wow, what another great show! Killer, killer performances by a variety of actors, complimented by a really quirky tone and directorial style that at times had you holding your breath in suspense and at other times laughing your ass off.

This golden age of television we're in continues to produce incredible shows. My wife and I are trying out a lot of the new ones before we spend some time finishing up / catching up on several shows that are ending such as Mad Men, Justified, Sons of Anarchy and True Blood.

Ultra Jorge #815150 07/23/14 05:44 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Oh, and also: WELCOME BACK JORGE!!

You've been missed, man!

Ultra Jorge #815157 07/23/14 05:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I've gotta check out True detective while I still have free HBO!

Meanwhile, Cobie, did you miss my last VMars response?

Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

Even more, it felt like it was really an uber-finale because the major things that happened in Season One also dove-tailed there in such an awesome way!

Part of the tearing up I experienced in this finale was because I felt just as betrayed by Cassidy/Beaver as Veronica did. He was a character that I had admired as it had seemed he had stepped up for Veronica when she was helpless at that party. Plus, his cleverness with what he did after his father's downfall and having to deal with his brother's relentless abuse.

This finale was brilliant in how it turned everything we thought we knew about him on its head while not contradicting anything we'd seen--just pulling the veil off what we'd perceived. In a way I wish we'd learned even more about him before his death, but life doesn't usually work that way. It really makes me want to re-watch every one of Cassidy's scenes throughout the series.

I can see from the first episode of S3 that Dick's still around, and we see him act human for the first time at the end of it. So I'm interested to see what they do with him.

Definitely. It was kind of subliminal for me, but I can see now that Cassidy was really designed as Veronica's opposite number/dark reflection.

I was definitely disappointed when the rape was "revealed" not to be one for a while. It's not that I wanted her to have suffered like that, but it had been such a woven element of the show and one that was very brave. The chlamydia thing leading up to it confused me. I thought that this meant Duncan slept with Kendall that time after all. I'd NO IDEA this was going where it went!

I had Woody as the bus culprit from the moment he appeared, I'm not ashamed to admit. I also subcribed wholly into Duncan being Lilly's killer because of a psychotic break, too! blush

Me, too! Fuck, YEAH!

You are right, of course. But I still would have really liked to have seen her outwit one of them herself.

Very much so. Just a brilliantly-written episode!

I saw the surprise she had coming, but I was surprised by how things ended for her.
When she was sole survivor of the bus crash, I fully expected her to pull through, so it was really sad when she didn't. It kinda sucks that her parents apparently didn't get prosecuted for child abuse. I was expecting to see a little more of that.

Weevil's a character I enjoy, and it was heartbreaking to see what happened to him in front of his grandma in that finale.
But you could see it coming. Weevil crosses the line a lot, and he's as responsible as the Fitzpatricks for Felix's death, as much as we sympathize with him.

Veronica Mars has such a rich supporting cast, which is even better because none of them seem to be forgotten and reappear. I loved how, for example, the girl whose dog Veronica found in Season 1 pops up in a scene or two in Season 2. There's just too many great characters to name! I WILL say, though, that I LOVE me some Mac!!! love

Another thing I like is when other characters, like Wallace, Weevil, Logan, etc. do some detecting of their own, showing that Veronica's influence has been so extensive in their lives!

Ultra Jorge #815169 07/23/14 06:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Im working on halt and catch fire ...

its cheesy but then the 80s were cheesy ... im hooked ... i almost gave it up after about episode four ... but then i had a marathon catch up and now im so into it.

its really 80s, even the direction of the series and how people act. also it reminds me of mad men because of all that place setting but also because episodes often end with a metaphor which matches the name of the episode and the theme of said episode.

Ultra Jorge #815197 07/23/14 10:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm diggin' Halt and Catch Fire too.

It's cheesy with a tang.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Ultra Jorge #815207 07/23/14 10:24 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I've been on a Godzilla marathon lately. Tonights viewing is Godzilla vs Biollante!

Last edited by Braal Janitor; 07/23/14 10:24 PM.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Ultra Jorge #815346 07/25/14 01:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've been watching a lot of the PBS specials on netflix. I like learning about some of the history of the world, stuff you wouldn't/never get/got in high school.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Page 60 of 86 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 85 86

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,196
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
LegionFan223
LegionFan223
Orando
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star