Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ok, I admit, I like the goofy movies....
#581563 01/16/09 09:06 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Just some fun little movies that i like for no good reason other than they are not "huge boxoffice smashes" and the acting is pretty fun.

Tremors- I love this series of movies, though i haven't seen the fourth one. It's just fun: lots of action, lots of thinking on your feet scenes, fun all the way around.

Radioland Murders- This little movie from George Lucus throws a spotlight on an era that i like in the movies, the late 30's. Lots of fun, quick wit and quick dialog...and Mary Masterson is always nice to look at.

Dazed and Confused- the ultimate high school 70's stoner movie. That 70's Show without being neutered by tv censors.

Mumford- this movie is a bit schizo in the presentation, but its a lot, repeat, a lot of fun for the more cerebral aspects.

The Matador- a black comedy sendup of Brosnan's Bond. His character is just on the charming side of sleazy. His line in the bar is one for the ages. My wife and i crack up each time we hear it.

Bubba Ho-Tep- if you don't know this movie, i don't have a quick encapsulation for you. It is sick, twisted, demented, and wierdly beautiful. Bruce Campbell...tha man ain't right, folks. He just ain't.

Elvira's Haunted Hills- pure camp, pure skeeze...i love it. Well, to be honest, i just think she has made a heck of a character with not much to work with except to boobs, a wig, and a frankly honest earthy sense of humor.

Summer School- don't ask me why, but this movie always brings a smile to my face. It wasn't earth shattering, the acting wasn't always the best, but Carl Reiner knows how to do funny with heart.

Better off Dead/One Crazy Summer- the director of these two movies, Savage Steve Holland...is frankly insane. Most of the stuff that happens in his movies has very little to do with a plot. In fact, the plot mainly seems to be there to make the studios happy...and if you are watching these for plots...what the hell is wrong with you? Seriously. Sit back, laugh, and enjoy.

I have more, but right now, for the next few days, those are the goofy movies that i love to watch.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Re: Ok, I admit, I like the goofy movies....
#581564 01/16/09 10:55 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I love Summer School! They guy that played Chainsaw was on ER several years back and I about flipped out. I also agree on Tremors, the first one anyway (never watched the sequels.)

#581565 01/17/09 08:43 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, give us some of yours.

Still Crazy- This was the first time i have seen Bill Nighy in anything, and he was freakin hilarious. Since then, if its an oddball movie i like, chances are this guy is in it. There is something inherently ridicules about a fifty-five year old man, stringy and paunchy, being a badass vampire in the underworld movies. Add to that Sean of the Dead and his five minute turn in hot fuzz and this guy has become my Hero. Now, mix in his turn as the incredibly funny and likable washed up rock star in Love Actually and the guy is reaching legendary status in my goofy movie all-time faves.

DC Cab- a delieriously insane movie that shouldn't have worked, but did. I even was able to ignore Bill Mahr in it, though at the time he hadn't quite reached the apex of his anal-sphincter voidness he has now.

Tune in Tomorrow- forget Keanu Reeves in it. Just enjoy the nutjob characters and the ride. Peter Faulk is dementedly fun as a crossdressing writer of the late 40's/early 50's radio serials. His hook about Albanians, while intended to be funny (and it is) is a truism that resounds today...everyone needs someone else to blame. Jon Amiel makes a movie that is balls to the walls funny. Loved it. Didn't hurt that Barbara Hershey looked stunning in it as well.

Big Trouble in Little China- I know that this movie has had a growing fame/cult status to it for a while now, but i have loved it since i first saw it. While being a 50's type b-movie in modern times, it still manages to send up the squarejawed, stoic hero while having fun and inviting you to join in, rather than condescending to the audience. It may not be as unknown as some of my other favorites, but it still ranks right there on my goof-o-meter.

Something pithy!
#581566 01/18/09 02:24 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Summer School and Better Off Dead are both classics!

Other fun movies to watch;

Oscar - Sylvester Stallone can apparently do comedy, and only about a bazillion times funnier than Schwarzennegar in Kindergarten Cop. Tim Curry is in it as well, which is always fun.

Soapdish - Hilarious antics of a soap opera production that has more going on behind the scenes than in the show itself.

A Fish Called Wanda - If you haven't seen this, see it. If you did see it and didn't like it, I'm not sure that our two species can ever meaningfully communicate.

Clue - More funny Tim Curry. Also Madeline Khan, who is a goddess to me.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#581567 01/18/09 12:03 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Oh, i don't know....I'm ti'ahd, so fwiggin' ti'ahd...

wink

I love Clue as well. Fish called Wanda was very funny, very goofy.

Another Savage Steve Holland, well, two actually, are One Crazy Summer, and "How i got into college". After that i think he went into animation with Eek the Cat, and i haven't seen anything from him since. Shame.

Trouble Bound- Michael Madsen and Patricia Arguette. Okay, honestly, i originally liked the movie for her boobs, but then i realized that it was a twisted, demented little thing that was a lot of fun.

Tim Curry has been in a lot of stuff i like, but everyone unfortunately narrows him down to Rocky Horror.

Something pithy!
#581568 01/20/09 09:55 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I found the Tremors attack pack today and got t4. It was in the same vein. I liked it, but it didnt quite have the charm of the first three. Not enough returning characters.

Something pithy!
#581569 01/21/09 12:00 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Some great stuff here, Rick!

Dazed and Confused - You have no idea how much this influenced me and my friends in high school. My friend Jenn and I used to watch this every Friday night before we would go out--and then the good times rolled.

Summer School - also a big fan. I caught this on TV when I was like 8 years old and really dug it. Flash forward 10 years later and I watched it again in college, recalled my childhood delight and now I really love it.

Bubba Ho-tep - "Weirdly beautiful" is so dead on! Bruce Campell is legendary. The story is awesome and hysterical (Cleopatra's name on the bathroom stall-hahahaha!). And then Ossie Davis gives a performance as JFK that is enough to give you the sniffles.

Clue - rawks

#581570 01/23/09 09:29 AM
Leader
Leader
I used to love USA's "Up All Night", especially on the nights they'd run comedies. Sometimes, a really STUPID movie is just what's called for!

EASY WHEELS -- a dumb but well-meaning biker gang takes on a nasty, viscious all-girl biker gang led by a woman reportedly raised by wolves (hey, I didn't make this up) who's taken to kidnapping babies and abandoning them in the woods so they, too, can be raised by wolves. Who writes this stuff?

Early in the film, a reporter is driving down the road, narrating the story. "Now I don't wanna say anything about women drivers, but..." The girl bikers run him off the road, his car flips over on its roof. From a ground-level view, we see a biker from the other gang stop, get off his bike, and slowly walk toward the helpless driver, hanging by his safety belt upside-down in his car (in a scene straight out of the film MAD MAX). The biker sticks his head in the window, and, smiling, asks, "Car trouble?"

#581571 01/24/09 01:03 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I like your style rickshaw. Like many of these movies myself. Especially Radioland, Dazed and Matador.

These charming or black comedies are witty. While I always laugh my tail off at some of the mainstream comedies I never really want to see them. The ones you mentioned I love.

Not sure if this one counts but the Player by Robert Altman.

#581572 01/24/09 01:03 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
oh Spanish Prisoner with Campbell Scott and Steve Martin is another good one.

Another one...Miller's Crossing I might bunch with these.

#581573 01/24/09 08:11 AM
Leader
Leader
Then there's BAD CHANNELS, which I like to describe as "WKRP In Cincinnati gets invaded by aliens from outer space". It features Martha Quinn as a tv reporter, and a music score by Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult. And, somewhere in there, a rock video by Sykotik Sinfoney that even people who hate the film seem to enjoy. (It's just so NUTS!)

#581574 01/24/09 10:48 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Get Crazy is a must-see for lovers of dumb-but-beguiling comedy. If for no other reason, see it for Malcolm McDowell's dead-on fusion of David Bowie and Mick Jagger.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#581575 01/24/09 08:16 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hey, you guys are throwing out some great little movies here. Thanks.

I know that UHF has achieved cult status. I saw it in the theaters a long time ago. Kramer before he was kramer. Honestly, Stanley was more than a little nuts.

House I and II- I know that they went really downhill with III and IV, but the first two were pretty good. I have always had a thing for movies about houses where you open a door, and its a portal to someother place. The possibilities are just endless. I think there is a book by John DeChancie similar to this as well. Back to House...Where else you gonna have Richard Moll as a crazy Viet Nam vet skeleton, or John Ratzenburg(sp?) as an extremely cool under fire exterminator?

Once Bitten, Twice Shy- Jim Carrey before he became a ham. Clevon Little as a gay butler to Lauren Hutton. Quickie sex and spittin' buttons in caskets....C'mon, this is funny crap people.

My Science Project- Yes, its a goofy teen movie. Yes, its formulaic, yes, the lead actor acts like his face is made out of plaster, and the slightest expression will cause it to crack...but dammit, Dennis Hopper in three minutes shows what star power means. Fisher Stevens is bust a nut funny, and Rapheal Sebarge is the ultimate funky nerd. Plus, Cro-magnons, dinosaurs, and funky future space dudes destroy a highschool...if ya don't love this as a teenager, someone crept into your room in the middle of the night and stole yer soul.

Love Stinks- French Stewart cashing in on his 3rd rock fame. This movie has its flat moments, but there are high points too, and nothing is funnier in movies than two people that absolutely loath each other going at it, except when its just one person, and the other is oblvious.
Now, i'm gonna go check out some of these new movies you guys have mentioned that i have never heard of.

Something pithy!
#581576 01/25/09 08:18 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Some good movies mentioned here, some not so good ones too smile .

A few of my "guilty pleasure" type movies that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Dumb and Dumber

The first Ace Ventura

Disaster in Time (a little known Jeff Daniels movie made before cg backgrounds were viable. They blow up some obvious scale models which kinda breaks the "fourth wall" but the rest of the movie is well done).

Real Genius

Next (the Nicholas Cage movie from a few years back. I know most of the critics hated it, but me and the wife left the movie theater going "that was really neat".)

Wonder Boys (Robert Downey Jr, Michael Douglass, and Tobey McGuire... should say it all, but I didn't see this one coming. Great movie.)

The Big Easy

The Second Conan movie (The Destroyer I think)

Dragonslayer (hard to do fantasy right on the big screen, especially when this movie was made, 1981).

IQ

Hudsucker Proxy

Mr. Mom

The Dream Team

All of Me

Can't Buy Me Love (for the African Aardvark Mating ritual dance alone)

Without A Clue (Michael Caine plays a bumbling Sherlock Holmes)

The Relic (not so goofy, but a well told horror story that doesn't get the recognition it deserves).

I'll try to think of more later...

Something Filthy!
#581577 01/25/09 09:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thought of one more that probably is my favorite "goofy" movie...Johnny Dangerously!!!

#581578 01/25/09 12:24 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Once Bitten, Twice Shy- Jim Carrey before he became a ham. Clevon Little as a gay butler to Lauren Hutton. Quickie sex and spittin' buttons in caskets....C'mon, this is funny crap people.
Very strange vampire movie.

Now Vamp was totally awesome, somehow combining funny and cheesy, and even, occasionally, good. Grace Jones plays the head vampire, but, unlike Conan the Destroyer and A View to a Kill, she mercifully gets no speaking lines.

(Near Dark and Lost Boys are my favorite vampire movies, but they are even less 'funny and cheesy.')

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#581579 01/25/09 01:24 PM
Spy Hard ! Who can resist Weird Al singing the theme song plus Andy Griffith as international arch-fiend in the same movie !?!?

Time After Time. HG Wells builds the time machine in his basement, finds out his friend is Jack the Ripper and jumps into the sack with a sexy bank officer. In that order. Yeah, I have kind of a thing for Malcolm McDowell. Sue me.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#581580 01/25/09 03:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Time After Time is great, but I'm more of a David Warner fan - he was extra-villainous there!

#581581 01/25/09 03:25 PM
Oh, I agree. Warner is totally made of win, as the young folks like to say. smile

#581582 01/25/09 03:37 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Regarding A Fish Called Wanda, I love any movie that puts a joke in Latin. At the dog funerals, the boys' choir sings: "Miserere, Dominus; Miserere, Dominus. Canis mortuus est." Translation: "Have mercy, Lord; have mercy, Lord. The dog is dead."

Now, my all-time favorite goofy movie is Super Fuzz (aka, Super Snooper or Poliziotto superpiù), in which Terence Hill plays a Miami cop who is irradiated by a missile that explodes over the Everglades and (of course) develops super-powers. He probably has about the coolest powers in history. In addition to the usual super-strength, super-speed, flying stuff, he also is telepathic, telekinetic, can control people's minds and, with a thought, makes about 80,000 people disappear. I'm not sure, but I think that puts him about on a par with the Spectre. Of course, he also has one of the lamest weaknesses: he loses his powers when he sees anything red--of course this is inconsistently applied throughout the movie. Ernest Borgnine co-stars as his partner cop. The acting and dialogue are just awful, but you can't help but to love this chunk of '80s cheese. laugh

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#581583 01/25/09 03:56 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hey, I still like the Trinity movies. Bud Spencer was dubbed all the time, cause his voice just doesn't seem to match his physical presence, but those were some damn funny movies.

Something pithy!
#581584 01/25/09 06:17 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
'Time after Time' and 'Johnny Dangerously' - love, love, love those movies.

I won't reveal the embarrasingly huge amount of times I watched Dumb and Dumber in high school. It has to be over 100.

#581585 01/25/09 10:09 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yellowbeard- Peter Sellers as the Pirate Yellowbeard. He pillages, loots, and likes raping. So much so, in fact, that one of his "victims", Madeline Kahn, insists that it was love.

His line was ...

"No it wasn't...I raped you!" said with indignation and confusion as to why she insisted it wasn't.
*Please understand, this isn't downplaying rape, which is bad enough to warrant the death penalty in my eyes, it was the absurdity of the situation that was funny.

Another goofy little movie that i like (although not necessarily a comedy) is Nate and Hayes, with Tommy Lee Jones and Michael O'Keefe. This was just a fun, lighthearted movie. It had its goofy moments.

Something pithy!
#581586 01/25/09 10:33 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Up the Creek- this ...is what Animal House should have been. Rude, Crude, Funny, lewd...i still enjoy seeing this movie to this day.

Something pithy!
#581587 01/26/09 09:13 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Strange that MGMHD is playing a ton of goofy movies right now.

Three Amigos, The entire Pink Panther series, Dracula vs. Frankenstein and plenty more that fit the bill.

I actually didn't even know I had the channel. I have a couple other ones I always watch (HDNet moviesI think it's called).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
CJ Taylor
CJ Taylor
Denver, CO
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star