Roll Call
0 members (), 52 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Passion of the Christ
#584489 02/26/04 07:39 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Has anyone seen Mel Gibson's new movie -- or is anyone planning to see it?

Re: The Passion of the Christ
#584490 02/26/04 07:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I have no plans to see it -- I hear it's just two hours of Jesus being brutally and graphically tortured. I have no reason to see it. I also have no religious feelings about "The Christ" so it doesn't interest me on that level either.

#584491 02/26/04 08:12 PM
Active
Active
I'm in no hurry to see it. I've already read the Book and as we all know the books are always better than the movie.

#584492 02/26/04 08:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm gonna see it just not right away!!!!

Let the Fun Begin!
#584493 02/26/04 08:35 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Yahoo ran a photo of a father consoling his young son after taking him to see the movie.

[Linked Image]

I wish he'd had the common sense not to take his kid. Everything I've heard from the reviews has been that this is definitely NOT for kids. Or some adults, even-- a lady in her mid-40's or 50's reportedly died of a heart attack she suffered during the crucifixion scene. eek

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#584494 02/26/04 08:50 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
I'm in no hurry to see it. I've already read the Book and as we all know the books are always better than the movie.
lol

Kinda interested as a history buff, but it looks like this'll be a DVD watch for me... Like SLK sez, 'the book's better than the movie'...

I'm just waiting for the tripped out psychadelic extravaganza that shows the Book of Revelations. wink

Wayne@OZ
#584495 02/27/04 12:50 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I'm not a Christian, and that would diminish its appeal for me anyway, as Jesus of Nazareth -- to me -- was simply the most famous by far of many thousands of people brutally executed by the Romans. Little is depicted to set him, in terms of this film, in any other context.

It lingers on the bloody details, as has been reported by many reviewers I trust -- such as Roger Ebert, who recommended it. A half-hour of flailing Jesus's flesh turns such a movie into "a biblical snuff film," as one commentator described it, and I have no interest in that.

I'll say this much, though: I can't imagine seeing it at home on DVD, with one being able to shut it off at will, or to pause it to make popcorn. Such a visceral experience is meant for a large audience in an un-pause-able setting, where you cannot abandon or interrupt being part of it ... short of walking out, that is.

For that reason alone, morbid curiosity may draw me to a bargain matinee. To keep one eye trained on the audience, as well. And to not be alone in my reactions. And to cut my losses if I do walk out.

#584496 02/27/04 03:49 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I heard it was in Aramaic and Latin, with sub-titles - the whole thing, or just parts? It would be interesting to hear those languages spoken, but I don't think I'd go for the gory details. Snuff film may be a good description. Will people go for the titillation of violence or for some search for insight and understanding a being they worship?

It struck me as distasteful (illogical maybe) that this "big blockbuster" was released on a day of penitence. Get your Ash Wednesday t-shirts!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#584497 02/27/04 07:04 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Why not? Look what's been done to Christmas! wink

And what would Easter be, without PEEPS! :rolleyes:

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#584498 02/27/04 08:05 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Star Boy:
Kinda interested as a history buff,
Apparently, Mel didn't get much of the history right either. According to an article I read the other day, there were several major errors and many minor ones. For example, everyone in the movie speaks Latin or Aramaic. In Judea at that time, the romans and hebrews conversed with each other in greek, not latin (also, one latin scholar said that the latin as spoken in the movie is so badly pronounced as to be unintelligible). Jesus is portrayed physically as a man with long hair, a look that is based on later religious art. In that period, Hebrew men wore their hair short, and Jesus, as a devout man, would have done so as well.

#584499 02/27/04 08:30 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I just saw the movie last night.

My church sponsored the event, along with a local Jewish congregation. We went to see the movie together, then met afterwards to discuss it and ask questions of our minister and rabbi. That in itself was worth the experience of seeing the movie: The open and frank exchange it prompted helped break down a few barriers and foster understanding between people who see the crucifixion of Christ differently.

(For example, I had no idea that some Jews see the cross as a painful reminder of 2000 years of persecution, as the rabbi put it. I've always found the cross to be a curious symbol, despite being raised Catholic and since becoming Protestant: It's rather like wearing the symbol of an electric chair on your lapel. But I never knew that Jews might view it as reminder of a painful history.)

The rabbi related a story of being a young boy and being told by another boy that his priest had said that Christians should forgive Jews for executing Christ. Our minister related that two days ago, some "punk" (as he bluntly put it) had spray-painted an anti-Semitic slogan on the side entrance of our church. (For this reason, two policemen were on hand at the discussion to make sure there weren't any disruptions.)

It's ignorant attitudes such as these that we need to combat, and I credit Mel Gibson with giving us a reason to do so. Charges that his movie will foster anti-Semitism were brought up in the discussion. It was the opinion of both the rabbi and the minister that those who are looking for an excuse to perpetuate anti-Semitism will find it in the movie. Those who are looking for more to discuss and to learn from will find that, too.

Yes, the movie is excessively violent. It's almost a filmed version of the Gospel According to John (which is very different and has a different agenda than the other Gospels). There were times when I thought that the violence was too much. But Gibson's purpose is to show the pain and suffering that Christ went through during his last 12 hours. It is a very visceral experience, and one that is not for the faint of heart. But there is little in it, in terms of violence, at least, that isn't described in the Bible.

(There are certain other things that can be chalked up to artistic license: An androgynous Satan hovering through the crowd, for example.)

All in all, I'm grateful for the experience of having seen the movie, and, more importantly, for attending the discussion afterwards. Would I recommend the film? Yes, but with reservations. No, children should not see it (at least not without their parents having seen it first and then watching it with them, as my minister suggested beforehand.) Yes, I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Judeo-Christianity, and who seeks greater understanding between people who have a shared, intimate and inescapable history.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#584500 02/27/04 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I heard it was in Aramaic and Latin, with sub-titles - the whole thing, or just parts?
The whole thing.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#584501 03/01/04 06:12 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by Greybird:

I'll say this much, though: I can't imagine seeing it at home on DVD, with one being able to shut it off at will, or to pause it to make popcorn. Such a visceral experience is meant for a large audience in an un-pause-able setting, where you cannot abandon or interrupt being part of it ... short of walking out, that is.
I'm actually going the DVD route, since I have a child. She boohooed pretty bad over the death of Jean Grey, so I'm guessing this would be tenfold.

Don't know if she'll be able to handle the movie in a few months better than she would now, but I'm thinking of those same effects of the big screen that you mentioned.

Welcome to Legion World!
All credits accepted!
No Super-Rejects allowed!
#584502 03/01/04 09:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
For those who think Gibson's movie is the work of the devil, this from CNN earlier today:

Theater's 'Passion' tickets start with 666

By NORMAN AREY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/28/04

ROME -- "The Passion of the Christ" and the devil have been inextricably joined in this rural town in northwest Georgia.

"The Passion" is showing at the Movies at Berry Square at Mount Berry Square Mall, and the machine that prints the tickets assigned the number 666, the biblical mark of the beast, as a prefix to all the tickets for the film.

The fact that triple-six and "The Passion" have been joined is purely luck of the draw, says Gary Smith, who owns the theater complex.

"It's from our computer and it's absolutely a coincidence," Smith said. "It has nothing to do with the film company or any vendor. It's completely in our computer. Several people have commented on it, but only one made a stink about it."

That person asked for her tickets to be substituted and was given passes in exchange. She declined to talk about it with a reporter, but a family spokesperson said they had found Scriptures that eased their mind on the 666 reference.

"I've got a feeling that the person who wanted us to exchange the ticket thought the devil had something to do with it," Smith said. "They didn't want it in their possession.

"She just said that she had this superstition about the 666 number," said Smith. "She said she just felt uncomfortable having those tickets in her possession."

Erica Diaz, who worked the ticket window Saturday, said she had heard quite a few comments about the numbering.

"A lot of people have asked what the numbers mean, some said it seemed odd, some said it was inappropriate," Diaz said.

Robin Miller, the general manager of the theater, says "The Passion" will leave its mark.

"It looks like this movie will set a record [for attendance in Rome]," she said, breaking that of "Titanic."

The movie theater is showing "The Passion" on two screens and had sold out all showings Saturday and today. Smith said he's using one auditorium for church groups exclusively.

"We're sold out for church groups for almost three weeks," he said.

#584503 03/02/04 06:45 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That ticket numbering should have been changed right away to avoid problems.

As for this film, I had heard Gibson's career hung in the balance. If so, his career is safe-- the film took in 117.5 million in its first 5 days of release...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#584504 03/02/04 07:07 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It just goes to show that nothing will make people want your product more than a little controversy.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#584505 03/02/04 08:34 AM
Active
Active
i saw the movie, its a good movie, not boring or dragged out. Its quite compelling, however i found the hype about how graphic some scenes were was just that, HYPE.
In my opinion, if you came out of that moviE deEply distuRbed at what you saw or cried or had a heart attack, i am telling you it isnt the movie, ITS YOU!!
The movie was no more graphic then any other graphic scene in any other movie, its just that people see this movie and because its jesus and they are god fearing people they feel they have no choice but to be disturbed by what they saw, how could a god fearing person not feel something for the death of the lamb of god.
Please, its just a movie, whose fire is fueled by cries of anti semitism.

#584506 03/02/04 08:35 AM
Active
Active
now dawn of the dead, thats gonna be disturbing and REALLY graphic.

#584507 03/02/04 04:59 PM
Active
Active
I know of people who haven't been to see a movie in decades who went to see this movie. Of course their going to be shocked by the brutality and gore displayed. Those of us who have been watching movies all of our lives aren't going to be as disturbed by the images.

I am looking forward to seeing it. But because of the personal nature of the film (I am a Christian) I really want to wait until all of the hype has worn down. If I do have an emotional reaction to this film, I want it to be because of its message as it portrays the Scriptures and not because it is part of mass emotional hysteria.

#584508 03/02/04 06:15 PM
Active
Active
The Passion of the Christ
True Story
Only the facts have been changed. laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Surge Pack
Surge Pack
Portage IN
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star