Roll Call
0 members (), 21 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/26/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 12:53 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:51 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Young Justice... The Animated Series!!!
#585984 05/27/12 12:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
loved Bumblebee and Wonder Girl in action alongside Batgirl and Miss Martian...Bumblebee a member of JL indeed!

and Apache Chief or Manitou Raven in the making? way too cool if it s true.

#585985 05/27/12 12:37 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The all girls Alpha team was cool, along with the justification for it (and Batgirl calling Nightwing on why there even needed to be a justification for an all girls mission!).

"There's just no right answer, is there? Nightwing out."

Miss Martian is hardcore. She was a heavy hitter in the comics, too, but her light-hearted personality made it easy to overlook. This more serious (and ruthless) version is badass, even it's being foreshadowed to be a setup for trouble.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#585986 05/27/12 04:34 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
I am surprized no one has mentioned the Legion tie-in. The missing 16 hours had the six members in Rimbor.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#585987 05/27/12 05:26 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
In the episode with Lobo, he's referred to as speaking Interlac, as well. (Although it's incomprehensible alien gibberish to the audience.)

I'm not a huge fan of Legion references showing up in shows set in the 20th/21st century, as it messes with my assumption that Rimbor (Winath, Cargg, Braal, etc.) was a world settled by humans over the last 1000 years or that Interlac may have been a more 'recent' invention.

Everything in the 31st century having been around 1000 years ago begs the question of what the hell people actually accomplished over the last 1000 years...

#585988 05/27/12 11:08 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Set:
Miss Martian is hardcore. She was a heavy hitter in the comics, too, but her light-hearted personality made it easy to overlook. This more serious (and ruthless) version is badass, even it's being foreshadowed to be a setup for trouble.
Haven't read the comics, does she do "Hello Megan!" there too?
I'm not a huge fan of Legion references showing up in shows set in the 20th/21st century, as it messes with my assumption that Rimbor (Winath, Cargg, Braal, etc.) was a world settled by humans over the last 1000 years or that Interlac may have been a more 'recent' invention.

Everything in the 31st century having been around 1000 years ago begs the question of what the hell people actually accomplished over the last 1000 years...
Agree totally, don't get me started on THAT again!

I wouldn't mind references if they would take that into account.

#585989 05/28/12 09:12 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Good episode this week, but I find myself missing the original line-up... also, I don't really care for Batgirl being on the team, especially with Batman off-planet... she should be in Gotham not Bialya... Wonder Girl, on the other hand, is a nice addition...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#585990 05/28/12 09:15 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer

I agree... I used to like references to the LSH in more mainstream books/shows, but it kinda makes the 31st century seem less unique...

#585991 05/29/12 05:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I never get to see it anymore, and can't find the eps on cartoon network. Any ideas where I can catch up?

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#585992 05/29/12 06:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
I never get to see it anymore, and can't find the eps on cartoon network. Any ideas where I can catch up?
Wading through the ten billion fakes on Youtube (links to paysites disguised as the ep online) can be a bit annoying, but animeflavor usually works for me.

#585993 05/29/12 08:39 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
"Beneath" wasn't a particular favorite of mine. The Blue Beetle plot was kind of interesting since it's the least action oriented thing we've seen outside of the short "downtime" bits we've seen here and there. Seeing him battling the Scarab's "kill 'em all" vibe was pretty fun.

The Bialya section was good for getting some insight into the newer female members and for bumping the plot along a bit more. Apparently there's been a pretty big breakout at Belle Reve during the gap. Icicle Jr. is always good for some laughs; he doesn't seem to have smartened up any in five years.

Interesting tidbit - Bumblebee's costume has glowing lines on it when she shrinks, just like YJ's version of the Atom does. She's his protege after all so the visual tie-in's kind of cool.

#585994 05/30/12 05:42 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I didn't know Bumblebee was Atom's protege. This makes it obvious that she's inspired by (to put it nicely) Marvel's Wasp.

#585995 05/30/12 09:38 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
I should be a little clearer - Bumblebee's his protege on the show but not the traditional comic character. In her first appearence in costume on the show she mentions a lesson with Dr. Palmer or something like that.

#585996 05/30/12 09:58 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Ha, Ray's rarely referred to as 'Dr. Palmer' and it almost does sound like a deliberate attempt to draw a parallel between him and 'Dr. Pym.'

The Young Justice writers may also have made a nod to Marvel a bit when they portrayed the Black Spider recently as being suspiciously Spider-Man-like, in his movements and tactics.

#585997 05/30/12 10:00 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Okay, well still an homage, but less of an intentional parallel from the start. smile

It was quite a while before I made the connection between Mockingbird and Black Canary, and then I realized she was involved with Marvel's Green Arrow parallel and wondered why they do things like that?

#585998 05/30/12 10:10 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I think, just for the fun of it.

With so many of their creative sorts moving back and forth between the big two, it's only natural that they are going to riff off of each other (with Marvel doing so shamelessly, at times, with the Imperial Guard or the Squadron Supreme).

And then there'r characters like Apollo and Midnighter, a third company's 'homages' to Superman and Batman, who have been bought by DC and folded into the same universe / continuity as the real Superman and Batman! I imagine that if DC ever bought Marvel, Bumblebee might become the protoge of the actual Dr. Pym!

Anywho, I'm loving this show. Of the various super-hero cartoons out there, this is the best.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is also pretty great, too, and Green Lantern is watchable.

#585999 05/31/12 02:43 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I don't mind the Imperial Guard and especially not the Squadron Supreme AT ALL. They're supposed to be homages of whole groups. And the Squadron is most often used as a What-If version of JLA.

While it makes perfect sense that two companies would happen to have archer characters, and plausible that both companies would have pugilistic ladies with bird themes (super-females do tend to go for bird themes but do you have to go so far as to have your version of the woman ALSO be blonde and wear a black costume?) I nevertheless find it slightly irksome for these respective pairs to be on-again/off-again couples in both places.

Only slightly. What's more important is that the stories are good, unless the stories are also similar, in which case they're really going too far.

#586000 05/31/12 02:46 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Once again starting a new page. This really must be my superpower.

#586001 06/02/12 10:33 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
I tracked down the name of the poster on YouTube who puts up the actual episodes (broken down into four or five parts, usually, and it's easiest to click the link in his/her first response to their own thread, to get to the next part of the episode, than to attempt to wade through all of the spam).

Up to last weeks eps are here. The...an currently only see Season 2 eps here.

#586002 06/03/12 12:42 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Thanks Set, that worked fine (for now...)

Must have been some crackdown stopping people from posting whole episodes as had been happening just last year. I'd be happy to watch their commercials and catch up on the ones I miss on the Cartoon Network website but that's so hit or miss I don't even bother checking it anymore.

#586003 06/03/12 03:13 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Impulse!!! LOL!!

no new episode next week? frown

but no new episode for Green Lantern today?!? did I miss it? the DVR did not record it...only they record new episodes, not rerun.

#586004 06/03/12 07:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Fun episode, really fun... except for the post-apocalyptic future, of course... great to see Wally back in uniform...

I thought they did say "new Young Justice" for next week during the credits, even though the scenes they showed looked like they were from previous episodes...

#586005 06/03/12 09:05 AM
D
Honorary
Honorary
D
Green Lantern: The Animated series wasn't new it is in reruns now. Young Justice is new next week with the episode Depths then it goes into reruns for the rest of June.

#586006 06/03/12 09:12 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
I find Cartoon Network's business model incomprehensible. In order to watch videos on their site, you don't just need to subscribe to Cartoon Network, you need to subscribe to an approved cable or satellite service.

Then you only get to see the last couple of episodes. This is a perfect invitation to "piracy".

You would think more companies would get on-board with the Hulu model.

Advantages of the Internet: You can accurately measure not only the number of people who watch your shows, but the number of people who watch your ads.

Disadvantages: Only a vanishingly small number of people actually watch TV on the internet. Yes, believe it or not. Therefore, per-ad revenue is vanishingly small.

There have been a whole host of articles recently- Forbes, Money, Wall Street Journal - even Slate - about how and why TV- and movies- delivered over the internet just doesn't matter.

I think this is a failure of imagination.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
#586007 06/03/12 10:31 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Yeah. Put a commercial or banner ad on it if you must, but put your stuff online, so that people looking for it can find it at YOUR place.

Though I wouldn't call not doing so an invitation to piracy, but yeah, many others are doing way better at removing the temptation.

And I believe Cartoon Network had been much better at it once upon a time, but I guess personnel changed.

#586008 06/03/12 10:57 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I suspect that the individual posting the videos I linked to is somehow affiliated with Cartoon Networks, or with the show itself, as their videos are always of sparkling quality, and always presented backwards (which makes reading the caption text annoying, for scenes that are in subtitles...). The fact that they take them down in order, and don't have them taken down en masse by YouTube, makes it seem like a nod-and-a-wink sort of situation, where the source is legit.

It's entirely possible that either CN or the show's creators are hamstrung by agreements that assure potential advertisers that the show they are paying their moneys to appear on won't be available in other, advertising-free, formats. IMO, it's probably something as silly as that (a line written into the ad constracts that came from a legal advisor in the marketing department), and not anything more sinister.

As a Comcast customer, I can also view them on Xfinity, completely guilt-free, but they are only posted up there a few weeks later, and only for an arbitrary time period, which is pretty darn sloppy.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,950
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
LispBOT # 143
LispBOT # 143
Wegion Wowwd
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star