Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 68 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 67 68
Re: So what are you READING?
#588425 11/10/07 04:44 PM
strange but not a stranger
I'm reading "Retained by the People: The 'silent' Ninth Amendment and the constitutional rights Americans don't know they have"

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#588426 11/12/07 12:05 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Managed to fit in a few books recently:

The Orc King by RA Salvatore

and

Legacy of the Force: Inferno by Troy Denning

I started out as a big fan of the Drizzt series by Salvatore. The first six books tell an exceptional story of exceptional characters. The books start losing focus after that (so slowly that you don't even realize it's happening). He follows Artemis and Jarlaxle around for a few books, and Wulfgar for a book and a half, and when Drizzt is in the books, he gets very little "face" time.

The Orc King starts to reverse that trend. Not entirely though as Salvatore takes time in this book to wrap up some dangling threads of characters more minor than Drizzt. I enjoyed this book very much... not enough to group it with the first six of the series, but I'd put it in the top echelon of the next tier in the overall series.

LotF: Inferno was a very quick read. I started it at 5pm on Saturday and finished by 12 noon Sunday. I slept in that time too... I mean the book wasn't a "I-can't-stop-reading-this-yet" type of book. And I'm certainly not a fast reader, but this book went by lickety split for me. Other than that... solid book. Something else elses caught me by surprise (which is very hard for a Star Wars book to do at this point) and some things left me a little flat. I'm not sure I've bought into Darth Caedus' altruistic motivations for turning to the dark side. It just seems thin to me and I think I would have appreciated a smarter, more kill them with kindness approach than the lets make him evil just for the sake of him being evil.

Something Filthy!
#588427 11/12/07 11:43 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I have to say I didn't really love the Lord of the Flies the first time around (in high school), but I also didn't give many novels a chance back then. I owe it to myself to check out Farenheit 451 too, b/c I know for certain I hardly gave it a chance. This was when I not only had discovered girls, but became aware that they had discovered me. My priorities had changed laugh

I always loved Great Gatsby though.

I hated Catcher in the Rye back then. Probably still would.

#588428 11/12/07 11:49 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Would you prefer Catcher in the Whole Wheat?

Catcher in the Pumpernickel?

Catcher in the Sourdough?

Catcher in the Baguette?

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#588429 11/13/07 08:08 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Definately Catcher in the Baguette! Actually, Pumpernickel sounds like it could be a better read. More American somehow.

Catcher in the Sourdough is too post-modern.

#588430 11/16/07 01:55 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think I wrote in a post about 20 pages ago that 'Catcher in the Rye' was in the pile of books next to my bed waiting to be read. Well, it's still there. I just cannot summon up the enthusiasm to read it. Hopefully one day it will hit me and then I'll love it, rather than forcing myself to read it when I'm not in the mood.

Anyhoo - finished 'Bullet Points'. Pretty good. Kind-of-a strange but interesting book and worth a read if anyone ever comes across it.

About to read 'The Interpretation of Murder' on the recommendation of my Uncle but I also just scored full runs of all the early 'Batman and the Outsiders' and 'The Outsiders' books so it could be a little while before I get started on it.

#588431 11/19/07 02:26 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Big Bosoms and Square Jaws: the biography of Russ Meyer king of the sex film. by Jimmy McDonough

am a big fan of his "sexplotiton" films and saw this while browsing through Amazon so i thought i'd check it out.

Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/
#588432 11/19/07 04:04 PM
Active
Active
I've been sick a lot lately, so I've read a ton of books over the last couple of months; including everything by Richard Morgan.

It's sci-fi, but very dark, extremely violent, sexual, yet thought provoking and fascinating too. Highly recommended.

Black Man is a stand alone title, and his latest book.

There is a trilogy: Altered Carbon. Broken Angels, and Woken Furies, though each one is only nominally influenced by the ones that came before, so you wouldn't necessarily have to read them all.

Market Forces is also a stand alone. It is far less futuristic than the others. I didn't enjoy it as much as the others, but still a strong book.

#588433 11/26/07 10:03 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Let's see... was home for the Thanksgiving holiday and had some free time on the farm so I managed a few books:

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

The Unhandsome Prince by John Moore

Odd was a neat little book... Koontz managed to pull the rug out from under me on several occasions. He is an excellent story teller. Grade: A-

Unhandsome was a nice, fast read... with a little bit of wit and a different way of looking at well known fairy tales passed down over the years. Grade: A-

JP was a great book... for the most part. Crichton knows his technicals... for several disciplines (higher math, biology, animal/human behavior, business, etc.) I was impressed. A number of differences from the movie but I wouldn't say that detracted from my enjoyment of the book. Every once in a while he got a little to soap-boxy for me, but more than forgivable in my opinion.
Grade: A-

Something Filthy!
#588434 11/29/07 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Blacula:
I think I wrote in a post about 20 pages ago that 'Catcher in the Rye' was in the pile of books next to my bed waiting to be read. Well, it's still there. I just cannot summon up the enthusiasm to read it. Hopefully one day it will hit me and then I'll love it, rather than forcing myself to read it when I'm not in the mood.
I read 'Catcher in the Rye' in high school. It was part of the assigned reading, but I didn't feel forced to read it as I love reading. However, I didn't like it at all. It seemed so boring and I didn't identify with Holden Caufield at all.

#588435 11/29/07 12:07 PM
I am currently reading "The Last Days of Krypton" by Keving J. Anderson. I have only read 26 pages but it is looking good. Marv Wolfman wrote the forward. Anderson seems to be combining elements of the comics and the movies. Jor-el has white hair ala Marlon Brando and the Phantom Zone is the spinning rings. Krypton and the Kryptonians are not as isolated as Byrne's were, but the society is a bit stagnated. And the formal costumes of the nobles are as Byrne had them.

Anderson does make some changes. Jax-Ur still destroys one of Krypton's moons. But now that happened a couple of thousand years ago and is the reason for Krypton's lack of space travel and xenophobia (the missles came from an alien). Opposition to Jax-Ur led to the current make-up of Kryptonian politics/government. Now called the Kryptonian Council rather than the Science Council.

It is looking like it will be a good read.

#588436 12/01/07 08:19 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I read that, Quis.

It was pretty good.

#588437 12/11/07 06:29 PM
I just finished it. It was pretty good. Although I could see the ending <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> Krypton explodes</span></span> a mile off. wink

I was disappointed by no appearance of Lar Gand of Daxam.

#588438 12/11/07 09:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just finished read Pullman's 'His Dark Materials.'

I liked it, but this was supposed to be a kids book?

Reading 'Thunderstruck' now. I forget the authors name, but he also wrote 'Devil in the White City.'
He combines historical events togethere, one good and one bad. In Devil it was the turn of the century in Chicago with the Wordls Fair contrasted with the first published American Serial Killer. In 'Thunderstruck' its about Marconi and another killer.

#588439 12/11/07 11:14 PM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
A lot of boring books for school, mostly about Jews in Brazil in the 17th Century. Stupid final paper. But!! When it's over, I plan on enjoying... something to be decided. Maybe a German authored book for my visit there.

#588440 12/11/07 11:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Stopped buying Fables a few years ago when I had stopped buying Legion at the end of DnA.

Picked up all the trades 6 to 9 since then and am already on my second reading.

Jack of Trades - so-so but worth buying.
Trades 6 to 9 typically wonderful.
1001 Nights of Snowfall absolutely astounding reading and a work of art.

#588441 12/11/07 11:54 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Just finishing up a reread of Bernard Cornwell's 'Warlord Chronicles', an Arthurian trilogy (The Winter King / Enemy of God / Excalibur) and one of the best treatments of King Arthur I know of.

#588442 12/14/07 09:03 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
I just finished it. It was pretty good. Although I could see the ending <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text"> Krypton explodes</span></span> a mile off. wink

I was disappointed by no appearance of Lar Gand of Daxam.
Yeah, I really figured when the ship showed up it was going to be Lar's.

#588443 12/14/07 09:06 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I finished up another one of Shatner's Star Trek books last night. As things have gone on, I haven't really enjoyed his version of Kirk. (His co-authors did a much better job of Kirk in their own works) but I find myself kind of missing the days when you could find tons of Star Trek books out there.

Last night I also started Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. It's pretty good so far.

#588444 12/14/07 10:40 AM
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
Submission Editor at Source Point Press
I read the Science of Superheroes and am reading the Science of Supervillains, both by Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg. I recommend them. They take very logical looks at some things, while avoiding the "magic" element. They are very enjoyable.

#588445 12/16/07 11:07 PM
Deputy
Deputy
It's funny, but I am really enjoying the Percy Jackson book.

#588446 12/18/07 11:40 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Am 9/10's of the way through the Stand. Its definately King's Masterpeice. Its phenominal, even some parts were ruined by that crappy made for TV movie of my youth (damn my great memory!). Some of his best characters of all here.

#588447 12/19/07 08:27 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I really liked "It" by Stephen King as well too. Even though they both start out a little slow and had trouble visualizing both endings... still both are great books.

I recently read Magician by Raymond Feist. It was a very well crafted story indeed and extremely enjoyable read for 660 of about 680 pages. He lost me for about 20 pages in the middle where he started talking about the history of one world. Its important to the plot and has to be there, but I found my mind wandering and wanting to get back to other peoples' stories.

Overall I'd probably compare this book with George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones but with more magic involved. The book gets a strong A from me. Very enjoyable.

Something Filthy!
#588448 12/19/07 10:41 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by minesurfer:
I recently read Magician by Raymond Feist. It was a very well crafted story indeed and extremely enjoyable read for 660 of about 680 pages. He lost me for about 20 pages in the middle where he started talking about the history of one world. Its important to the plot and has to be there, but I found my mind wandering and wanting to get back to other peoples' stories.
That's my favorite book, ever. (Although Zelazny's Lord of Light comes close.)

If you liked Magician, check out Feist's Daughter of Empire / Servant of Empire / Mistress of Empire trilogy co-written with Janny Wurts, based on the other world of Kelewan (on the other side of the rift). Very, very cool books. (The sequels to the Magician books, not so much. They aren't bad, but the main characters have reached the point where there isn't as much room for drama by the end of Magician.)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#588449 12/19/07 11:42 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by minesurfer:
I really liked "It" by Stephen King as well too.
Y'know, that was a great book, but there's always been one thing about it that bothered me. Remember when as kids when they all got hopelessly lost after destroying the monster? Remember what they all did to get back their focus?

I know it was handled fairly tastefully, and you can argue it played into the underlying theme of growing up...but it just seemed so wrong.

As much as I enjoyed that book, I'm not sure I'll ever reread it because of that scene. It disturbed me more than any of King's graphic horror scenes in his books. Sadly, I don't think it was supposed to.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Page 32 of 68 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,106
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Omni Craig
Omni Craig
Santa Ana, CA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star