Roll Call
1 members (Elvar), 56 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/15/24 05:20 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Adventure Comics #2/#505 Preview/Discussion (SPOLIERS)
#593188 09/12/09 11:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Set:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Essentially, Conner is the child of divorced and adversarial parents (Supes and Luthor) with perhaps instinct to love both against his own best senses. He left home for a long time and now has returned after a tragic experience. This is a story that resonates with many these days I think.
I think that Conner knows that he's not 100% Superman. He's got some Luthor in him.

So it's increasingly important for him to find *something* redeemable about Luthor, because he's unwilling to turn his back on that part of himself, and forever be in fear of / have contempt for his own self. If he gives up on Luthor, the way Superman appears to have, he gives up on his own potential to transcend that legacy.

Luthor being Luthor will likely horribly betray Conner's search for something worth saving within him, and Conner could end up trapped in a cycle of self-loathing.

Or, yanno, not. I like to overanalyze.
I would hope it's not overanalyzing considering I wrote nearly the same thing. There's conflict there. He knows he has two "parents" and has to rationalize how he could not love both and still love those aspects about them he sees in himself, real or imagined.

#593189 09/13/09 12:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmm, I just had an idea about Mekt's "twin".

What if Garth found out Mekt did indeed have a twin sibling, but it was stillborn. How's that sound?

#593190 09/13/09 12:10 AM
Active
Active
Did anyone mention Validus might be his twin? Could be...wouldn't exactly make a lot of sense but I could see them doing it since Validus can do the lightning thing.

I love the book and actually am enjoying the Conner stuff more than I thought, the Legion definitely needs to get out of back up status but I am enjoying the feel of the backup stories...it's amazing how much this feels like reading the Cockrum Bates Legion and I don't mean nostaligia, but just, I want more of it.

And the cutoff part fot his Legion is around the time of Crisis...yeah there are few details that need to be ironed out but the period of time this Legion is from and where it is diverging from the original baxter run is neon bright to me....it's at the latest from very early on the Baxter Run maybe issue #19 or something, maybe a couple of things that happened later...and nothing from the latter half that title has happened to this Legion...no magic wars, no PU Superboy, no death of Rond Vidar etc...none of that stuff. Maybe the Universo project happened....maybe and that's about as late as it goes. I don't think it's that hard to see...but that's because the Pre and Post Crisis Legions were two very different things to me in the first place. It was two different continuities to me always. The end of the Levitz run was not the same team or continuity as the beginning of the Levitz run to me. I hated just about all those changes done after the Crisis, so the fact that they aren't there now clearly stands out to me. None of the stuff from the end of the Baxter run happened to this Legion, and I am grateful for it. That's why it feels like the original Legion to me.

The major details...Supergirl, whether or not LL and SG have kids...small potatos...well Supergirl is big but Validus and Graham...I didn't like thsat change either so if they get rid of it, even better for me...since it meant the death of Validus as a character and pretty much wrote LL and SG out of the Legion.

#593191 09/13/09 12:18 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
[b]Garth & Mekt got w i d e bottoms!
they're getting older. lol [/b]
Hey!!!!!!!
I resemble that!

Proty
(A w i d e bottom not due to age.)

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#593192 09/13/09 12:32 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Set and Bouncing Boy ~ I suspect that you both over analyze things, but that's okay, since you do it so well.

And frankly, someone's got to.

And BB ~ I may be over analyzing things myself, but you seem to find a need to 'protect' Ricardo from other poster's comments.
Actually, I think Set jumped me once about my thinking Ricardo was kidding when he said one of his more strident and rather silly, I thought, remarks.

If he wants to make simplistic, insulting statements about writers/artists and eras not to his liking, he's inviting similar comments from others.
He seems to be a big boy and fully capable of making his own retorts, and usually does.

So, what's the motivation here?
Is there something I don't know about him?
Like is he 10 or something?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#593193 09/13/09 01:37 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I stopped reading after "so what" so I'm not sure what the rest of that post was about but I do know that an important part of Ricardo's post that you left out of the quote was, "L3W was nothing on [b]my book."

He expresses an OPINION, not a mandate on you or anyone else and I as well as enough other long term fans and intelligent posters have expressed similar opinion to the point that there no doubt in my mind, there is validity in both extremes.

There wasn't much delivered that I was looking for in L3W. Things happened, some of interest, many not but its most important failing was that it didn't "resolve" a thing to MY satisfaction and apparently not to the satisfaction of many.

However, detail of those thoughts were addressed in the appropriate thread so no need to reiterate in detail here.

As regards, L3W and issue #2 of Adventure, other than the explanation of the reappearance of Superboy, everything else seemed to follow, as Ricardo stated, from the Lightning Saga story of a couple years ago, didn't it?
[/b]
Wow. You were able to write a reply as long as that after reading just two words of my post? You must have some amazingly keen powers of insight Blockade Boy.

And the crux of your point seems to be that Ricardo's post was Ricardo's opinion. Shock! I think we could've all gathered that from the fact his name was on it. Just like my post was my opinion. And your's, uninformed as it was, was your opinion. But I don't think any of us need a lesson in how Message Boards work.

If you had actually bothered to read my post you would've seen that all I did was take the statements of fact (as he saw them) that Ricardo made (i.e. that "nothing happened in Legion of Three Worlds" or that it was "more of a Superboy, Flash or Green Lantern story than a Legion one") and demonstrate (with examples) where IMO those facts didn't add up.

I never said he or you or anyone else had to like the story but if Ricardo is going to throw out statements like "nothing happened" in an action-packed 5-issue comic then he should be prepared to have someone call him out on that idea.

#593194 09/13/09 01:45 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
And what's with the 31st century creating a new prison world and using metal bars to contain a meta human?!? They actually paid people to write this crap?
Perhaps the new prison was designed by those two old fogies from Throon? Bars worked on Garth well enough then. Why is everyone (pardon the pun) slammin' on bars? Without barred cells in the 30th Century, ol' Tenz would probably not have been granted Legion membership...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#593195 09/13/09 02:52 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Tenzil, in an Archives Legion story, was shown to be able to eat the blast of an energy weapon, or was it his brother?

Anyway, Tenzil, apparently doesn't need metal bars, energy fields would be yummy!
MatterEaterLad depending on the era.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#593196 09/13/09 09:19 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Storm Boy had artificial powers, which one may reasonably presume have been deactivated. As such, he's an average Joe, stick him behind bars. Go for the lower-energy solution for weaklings like Storm Boy and save the big energy solutions for the big boys, like Validus. Scarcity still applies, even in the 31C. I always thought it was lame in the Levitz Takron-Galtos that if the place lost power, the forcefields would fail and the prisoners would be free. Why not have physical barriers as back up? Finally, I think Battlestar Galactica showed that you could have a futuristic civilization with lots of current-day touches.

I too LOVED the night time shot of 31C Metropolis and the flying Legionnaires. These kind of shots were more common in Cockrum/Grell/early Giffen times. The look of the city was really striking. Reminded me of some of Sherman's best Legion work. More of this, Mr. Henry!

The sibling rivalry has been done, but let's hope there are 1 or 2 new readers for whom this is useful characterization. Besides, family always have the same arguments. And Garth wouldn't be Garth if he DIDN'T zoom off to Winath on a whim (Winath on a whim is a new copyrighted phrase of DoubleChinner, LLC).

The Superboy story was pretty damn good for a character I despised prior to his death. The page with Krypto hunkered down under the picnic table was BRILLIANT! Bravo, Francis! Krypto looking and acting like an actual dog!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#593197 09/13/09 10:47 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Candle:

And BB ~ I may be over analyzing things myself, but you seem to find a need to 'protect' Ricardo from other poster's comments.
Not sure why you would post such a comment instead of pm it, but no, I have no "need" to protect anyone. We seem to have similar opinions and fall on the same side of things so it seems easier to pick up on those posts instead of reposting what Ricardo has already said.

Now please, and I'm trying to be polite here, don't feel a need to "analyze" me. Thanks.

#593198 09/13/09 11:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Blacula:
[b] ...I do know that an important part of Ricardo's post that you left out of the quote was, "L3W was nothing on [b]my book."

He expresses an OPINION, not a mandate on you or anyone else and I as well as enough other long term fans and intelligent posters have expressed similar opinion to the point that there no doubt in my mind, there is validity in both extremes.

As regards, L3W and issue #2 of Adventure, other than the explanation of the reappearance of Superboy, everything else seemed to follow, as Ricardo stated, from the Lightning Saga story of a couple years ago, didn't it?
[/b]
Wow. ... You must have some amazingly keen powers of insight Blockade Boy.

... Shock! I think we could've all gathered that from the fact his name was on it. [/b]
Why do you continue to be so snarky? Because someone apparently disagrees with you? I believe I did acknowledge the validity of the "extremes" of viewpoints. I'm sorry that wasn't enough for you.

Presuming you only read the first line of my post as I did yours, you would not have seen that my only interest in your post had to do with your take on Ricardo's comment, a comment which reflected my feelings as well. Because of your snarky comment (similar to those addressed to me above), I had no further interest in your post so did not read it nor did I comment on it. So why up in arms? I made no comment (intentionally) on your thoughts. I didn't denigrate them, support them or dismiss them. I never read them. I tried to supply clarification on that in my post by informing that I had not read further.

As you can read if you wish, my thoughts were a follow-up to Ricardo's concerning the relationship between L3W and ADV #2, and were not meant to be directed towards yours. As well they were directed towards Shooter's effect on Manapul and the sci-fi aspects on the issue.

#593199 09/13/09 01:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Why do you continue to be so snarky? Because someone apparently disagrees with you? I believe I did acknowledge the validity of the "extremes" of viewpoints. I'm sorry that wasn't enough for you.

Presuming you only read the first line of my post as I did yours, you would not have seen that my only interest in your post had to do with your take on Ricardo's comment, a comment which reflected my feelings as well. Because of your snarky comment (similar to those addressed to me above), I had no further interest in your post so did not read it nor did I comment on it. So why up in arms? I made no comment (intentionally) on your thoughts. I didn't denigrate them, support them or dismiss them. I never read them. I tried to supply clarification on that in my post by informing that I had not read further.

As you can read if you wish, my thoughts were a follow-up to Ricardo's concerning the relationship between L3W and ADV #2, and were not meant to be directed towards yours. As well they were directed towards Shooter's effect on Manapul and the sci-fi aspects on the issue.
2 quick points Blockade Boy -

#1... Ricardo has (IMO) a rather combative/confrontational posting style. I did not mean to be snarky with him but if I was it was probably just a reaction to that. (If I offended you Ricardo then I apologise.)

#2... You on the other hand I did mean to be snarky with. Unlike you, I did pay you the courtesy of reading your post before commenting on it. But when you jump into a discussion without even reading what it's about and then level covert insults at me for not respecting Ricardo's opinion (and by extension yours) on the relative quality of Legion of Three Worlds (I assume that's what your "extremes" is in reference to?) when that wasn't even the topic of my post... then yes, I think it's understandable that I got a little snarky. That wasn't the high road to take though, so to you as well - if I offended you then I apologise.

---

(So as not to derail this thread any further I'll be responding by PM to any more discussion on this subject.)

#593200 09/13/09 05:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
. . . Not sure why you would post such a comment instead of pm it, but no, I have no "need" to protect anyone.

Now please, and I'm trying to be polite here, don't feel a need to "analyze" me. Thanks.
I don't usually do whispered asides to people during conversations. It's rude and a little too personal.

If you think that's what should be done on the boards, though, I'll consider it.

And thanks for being polite (or trying to) but 'analyzing' is what people do, so you're probably out of luck on that point.
Brainiac5

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#593201 09/13/09 06:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
[b] . . . Not sure why you would post such a comment instead of pm it, but no, I have no "need" to protect anyone.

I don't usually do whispered asides to people during conversations. It's rude and a little too personal.

If you think that's what should be done on the boards, though, I'll consider it.

And thanks for being polite (or trying to) but 'analyzing' is what people do, so you're probably out of luck on that point.
Brainiac5 [/b]
There is a huge difference between analyzing the post and analyzing the poster, wouldn't you agree?

#593202 09/13/09 06:29 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
People are being snarkie and asking WHY people are being snarkie.

Asking why someone is protective is the same, to me.

I am fine with your answer, that you just have similar views.
I never thought of your posts as even remotely like Ricardo's, so I didn't see the connection.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#593203 09/13/09 06:39 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Garth & Mekt got w i d e bottoms!
HELLO!!!!!

#593204 09/13/09 06:56 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Chill out kids. We're all friends here!!!
Don't take another poster's difference of opinion personally!!
Blockade Boy, I always disagree w/ your opinions, BUT, I love reading them & I truly appreciate your passion & conviction and think that LW would be a much poorer place w/o your thoughtful & thought-provoking presence.
So let's all take a deep breath and keep Lovin' the Legion!!!!
yours truly,
Sister Mary Rhino

#593205 09/13/09 07:32 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I think the spirit of sibling strife has infected Legion World! As penance, Blockade Boy, Ricardo and Blacula must immediately seek out my secret twin! I'm hoping it's John Hodgeman!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#593206 09/13/09 07:35 PM
P
Substitute
Substitute
P
what is all this talk about twins!?!

#593207 09/13/09 07:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Of course, with my luck, my secret twin is probably Karl Rove.

#593208 09/13/09 07:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It suddenly got very cold here.

(I really hope you guys know what that's from)

#593209 09/13/09 07:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
On my reread,

Conner: it really seems as if Martha has been communicating with Krypto in these issues. I think something is being set up there and poor Conner is the only one that doesn't realize the dog is smarter than he is.

The kid in Science class is reading a comic.

Martha's last scene still affects me.

I could stare at the cover all day long.

Nit-picks: Manapul has the barn on a rotating platform.

Legion: liked the art a bit more except for the Garth splash and the diaper costume, the story made just a bit less sense.

#593210 09/14/09 08:39 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Tenzil, in an Archives Legion story, was shown to be able to eat the blast of an energy weapon, or was it his brother?
I know that this sentence was meant to mean that Tenzil, or his brother, ate an energy blast.

But it sounds so much cooler as "Tenzil ate an energy blast, or perhaps his brother..."

smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#593211 09/14/09 05:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Set:
I know that this sentence was meant to mean that Tenzil, or his brother, ate an energy blast.

But it sounds so much cooler as "Tenzil ate an energy blast, or perhaps his brother..."

smile
lol
It's pretty bad.
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#593212 09/14/09 08:04 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hmm, I should've said this in this topic instead of the other one.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that there are TWO writers on the Legion back-up. So for those saying Johns is doing a bad job on here, just remember he's co-writing that and that half the blame should at least go to Shoemaker.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,330
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden