Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:51 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:11 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:10 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Should Brainy Die?
#594367 01/30/11 04:25 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
"We need to flux the capacitor."
"Wait, who are you?"
"Nyarl Dox, but you can call me Brainiac Six. Brainiac Five had some important research to do on Colu, and sent me, his clone, to handle his Legion responsibilities. Now hand me that power coupling, please, or the universe is going to collapse on itself and then explode." <muttering to self> "I'm only two days old, I was hoping it would be at least a week before I messed something up so badly that it destroyed the universe..."

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#594368 01/30/11 06:11 AM
Active
Active
We need Brainy and Supergirl to produce a Brainiac six with Kryptonian powers so that he can sort out his own messes

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#594369 02/01/11 11:20 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I wrote a fanfic story years ago where Brainy gets killed by Starfinger defending Legion HQ. Before he dies, he transfers his personna and personal engrams into the Legion's computo system. Consequently, he is the new permanent Mission Monitor Board watcher and services many other HQ systems (like an Oracle before Oracle was introduced). Down the road, he creates Probe units where he can function 'hands on' in different missions at the same time, multitasking and putting his 12th level mind to full use. Eventually, he runs into conflict with the Computo he's sharing, and is forced to re-humanize himself or risk being consumed by the major-domo.

On a side note, maybe Brainy can take Earth-Man with him on a mission to Galaxy-X to discover the mysteries of the universe. That should take a year or so...

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#594370 02/01/11 11:30 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I wrote a fanfic story years ago where Brainy gets killed by Starfinger defending Legion HQ. Before he dies, he transfers his personna and personal engrams into the Legion's computo system. Consequently, he is the new permanent Mission Monitor Board watcher and services many other HQ systems (like an Oracle before Oracle was introduced). Down the road, he creates Probe units where he can function 'hands on' in different missions at the same time, multitasking and putting his 12th level mind to full use. Eventually, he runs into conflict with the Computo he's sharing, and is forced to re-humanize himself or risk being consumed by the major-domo.

That sounds faboo!!

#594371 02/01/11 11:35 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
[Linked Image]

#594372 02/02/11 06:35 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I wrote a fanfic story years ago where Brainy gets killed by Starfinger defending Legion HQ. Before he dies, he transfers his personna and personal engrams into the Legion's computo system. Consequently, he is the new permanent Mission Monitor Board watcher and services many other HQ systems (like an Oracle before Oracle was introduced). Down the road, he creates Probe units where he can function 'hands on' in different missions at the same time, multitasking and putting his 12th level mind to full use.
I kinda did the same thing with Mentor, of the Imperial Guard. My notion was that he's not those green people you see, but has dozens of them as mobile units. Mentor himself is a planet in Shiar space whose sheets of silicon, quartz and iron and whatnot function as relays and circuits, in a naturally-developed planet-sized sentient supercomputer. It builds these humanoid 'Mentor' units (with which it is linked in real-time) to explore the galaxy and bring it data about distant locations and interact with humanoid society.

Unlike Marvin, the Paranoid Android, who merely *claims* to have a brain the size of a planet, Mentor really does!

I later re-used elements of that for Emerald Legion, with the original Brainiac being the sentience that is now integrated with the core of the planet Colu. He's not so bad these days, since he's got loftier things to calculate than running around shrinking cities.

On a side note, maybe Brainy can take Earth-Man with him on a mission to Galaxy-X to discover the mysteries of the universe. That should take a year or so...
Ah, but he needs a compelling reason to get Earth-Man to leave Earth. Perhaps the rumor is that Earth is *not* the center of the universe, and that in Galaxy-X, the true birthplace of humanity, and thus, all humanity-derived species, will be found, rendering Earth no longer the 'mother world.' Earth-Man goes along hoping to disprove it, of course...

#594373 02/09/11 11:37 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
As long as Earth-Man goes, I'm fine with that. My only two gripes with the new Legion so far is with the killer/maiming psycho Earth-Man as an accepted member (Double-Header & Color Kid, anyone?) and Mon-El as the demigod GL, especially after the good stuff James Robinson did with him in Superman.

I thought Earth-Man originally may be an interesting antagonist to the Legionnaires (hence, some characterization) but so far he's turned out to be an unlikable character I have no sympathies for and a panel hog where other Legion members greater deserve more time.

#594374 02/09/11 11:41 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
BTW, I am not that familiar with Mentor (I cut back on the Marvel books years ago), but the storyline sounds rockin' Mr. Set!

#594375 02/10/11 09:04 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
We need Brainy and Supergirl to produce a Brainiac six with Kryptonian powers so that he can sort out his own messes
He used to be able to take beatings quite well. He even threw a punch or two in his early days. As was mentioned, he was also psychologically sturdy under torture. He was emotionally forthright rather than bashful and he was very empathetic.

It was around the 80's he started to degrade as they went for typical 'smart guy' flaws like social ineptitude and madness. I always thought the best flaws was his recklessness and his need to know everything. There is a great Computo story ready to be told because Brainy can't let it go. He thinks he has to fix it, he has to make it right because he has to know everything. That flaw has been skewed from 'I need to know everything' to 'I do know everything' and they are not the same.

If they are really struggling, Kara always brings out great character stories in Brainy. I did always wonder how we got from 'Remain and be my girl' to his utter inability to string a sentence about his feelings for her but it was a lovely pre-crisis bookend.

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com
#594376 02/11/11 05:31 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yeah, back then, Brainy was, while not the most, a fairly modest actioner of the Legion. Last decade or so he's mostly been in his lab or something like that. He rarely goes to other planets in action.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
#594377 02/18/11 08:14 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Here's a thought.

Death is a merely a temporary inconvenience in the comics.

Maybe several of us Anti-Brainiacs could get together, make a little investment, incorporate, and PURCHASE HIS COPYRIGHT from DC.

That should keep him out of Action (or Adventure) until 2159 or so. (3159 Legion time)

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
jimgallagher #792573 10/27/13 01:32 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

I'm for a "no" on this one. He's too good a character to throw away (or go through the painful kill-retcon-kill-reboot-kill cycle)

At the end of the last Levitz run we saw his desire to run things, coupled with shock at things falling apart around him. But we also saw that his first actions had been to help Weber's World and come up with dozens of technological solutions for the crises within the UP. He has been portrayed as more empathic in the past. He has certainly been portrayed as more modest. But even here, in his way, he's trying to help.

I imagine that a possible next arc could have been Brainy getting his Legion, and how things turned out. Perhaps leading to a more humble person at the end of it.

I do recall when Brainy left towards the end of v4. With Dream Girl also gone and Mon El injured, suddenly Sun Boy was the chief scientist. Big, big shoes to fill. I couldn't recall seeing Morgna near a lab for ages.

Simply having him with multi tasking limits would be enough. Or have him support others. Rond- sorry he's dead Harmonia with Time Travel research for example. Contacting medical installations to help Shady & Mon-El but not be able to find a solution himself. A returned Kent Shakespeare taking over hands on medical issues. Not that he's better, but that Brainy shouldn't need to be involved in everything scientific. More on Naltorian science would be interesting too.

Originally Posted by jimgallagher
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
I'd like to see Brainy's body damaged beyond repair so that he becomes a brain-in-a-jar(or globe) type character!!
Well, let's see. They've already made Timber Wolf an actual (were)wolf, Dream Girl an actual dream and Phantom Girl an actual phantom. They've even made Element Lad composed of actual elements. Making Brainy an actual brain can't be too far off.

The 5YG nearly croaked him. He was an old man in an exo-skeleton for a while. Sun Boy nad both Lightning Kids have been shown to transform into , or at least be surrounded by, the source of their powers.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #792674 10/27/13 07:34 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
In general I'd prefer characters not die. Just find another intelligent way to right them out.

And it's not just because I'm a Brainy fan smile

rickshaw1 #792690 10/27/13 07:49 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Certainly if it's just for the sake of it, or a cheap sales boost. Just move them out to somewhere quiet.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #792693 10/27/13 07:53 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
It's also easier to bring characters back if they're simply retired or off doing other pursuits. Tenzil's a Senator now? Oh that's easy, he simply wasn't reelected. Chuck and Lu and Lydda busy at the Academy? They got bored and the Legion's shorthanded.

rickshaw1 #792706 10/27/13 08:02 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The revolving door to the DC underworld has spared writers even having to go to those lengths of research in recent years smile

rickshaw1 #792743 10/27/13 11:35 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Didn't they say they'd close that revolving door after Blackest Night?

Heh. Yeah. Because I'd totally hold the editors and writers at DC hostage to a promise made at the end of a comic book event (it was a pretty good event though).

rickshaw1 #792770 10/28/13 07:16 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Oh I believe them when they say they closed the revolving door. But only because they widened the main entrance to allow more traffic to go through.

I imagine that at the start of a reboot, there will be fewer people dying and coming back, but give it time.

rickshaw1 #792818 10/28/13 01:57 PM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
Everyone knows my answer to this question. I'm like...president of the Brainy fanclub and would cry openly if he died. No one needs to see that kind of ugly, do they?

rickshaw1 #792840 10/28/13 03:11 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Considering there's a bit of a gulf in the team when he goes shopping, I dread to think what it would be like without him at least somewhere in the book (and I don't mean as a golden statue)

rickshaw1 #792901 10/29/13 12:14 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Brainy's just had so many memorable storylines that it's hard to imagine a Legion book without him. Oh, he doesn't need to be an active Legionnaire, but just knowing he's out there somewhere and can step in whenever things really get out of hand is a major comfort.

rickshaw1 #792913 10/29/13 10:01 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Brainy used to be a favorite (being really smart counts as a super-power! Woo!), but since he's been retconned into stealing all the other smart Legionnaires mojo, and turned into Vril Dox 2.0 in personality, I don't like him as much.

But, as with other Legionnaires I don't like as much as my favorites, I don't want him *dead,* just sidelined a bit, to let others shine.

Recent portrayals of Colu suggest that his homeworld is in dire need of some guidance, and it's possible that he could be, like Tenzil, pressganged into government service, for a time. smile

I've always rowed against the current, and preferred the lesser seen characters to those who get all the press, so the Founders and Superboy were rarely my favorites, and, now that Brainy seems to be the unofficial 'fourth founder,' the blush has gone off that rose, too.

rickshaw1 #792930 10/29/13 10:43 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Let the next Legion book begin with a lineup of Tyroc, Kinetix, Nightwind, Computo, Kid Quantum II, Gates, Chameleon Girl, Polar Boy and Dragonmage! tongue

rickshaw1 #792940 10/29/13 11:01 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Throw in Night Girl and the second Invisible Kid and I'll consider it.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
rickshaw1 #792943 10/29/13 11:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
While we're at it, Infectious Lass and Tellus to add more "alien" Legionnaires.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,123
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP