Roll Call
0 members (), 39 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/12/24 09:09 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shooter on editorial interference, production errors and Manapul
#594835 09/25/11 10:34 PM
S
Active
OP Offline
Active
S
In the comments to a recent blog post, Shooter gave a list of errors that the editors and/or the artists made during the production of his ´recent Legion issues. Bleeding Cool has published a feature in which they compare Shooter's descriptions of the errors with the actual printed comics:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/...er-On-Amending-The-Legion-Of-Superheroes

It seems to me that on the one hand, Shooter has some quite valid complaints; on the other hand, he expresses these complaints with little tact or regard for the feelings of others.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
Re: Shooter on editorial interference, production errors and Manapul
#594836 09/25/11 11:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Some of his complaints are valid, others (such as "make Phantom Girl's legs more phantom-ey") are ridiculous.

I was actually a bit taken aback by this.

It was probably unwise to partner a rookie artist on what is possibly DC's most difficult-to-handle artistically title with a well-seasoned and notoriously perfectionist writer.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#594837 09/26/11 04:22 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I wonder how many of his complaints were added on due to his frustration at his requests not being followed?

He sounded quite irritated, and some people become more nitpicky in that mood. Other people are more calm, and will only complain about the most important things while letting others slide.

I think his complaint on the changes in his text piece for the flight ring were very valid, though. And he phrased his complaints in a firm, but still reasonable, way.

#594838 09/26/11 06:53 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

#594839 09/26/11 07:06 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Manapul's response was way classier than Shooter's airing-of-laundry.

I criticized Manapul for what I perceived as a strong decline in the quality of his art from the first few issues (which were friggin' *gorgeous*) to later in the run, but it increasingly seems like it was Shooters art direction that led to what I saw as a decline in quality.

(Shooter specifically asking for a more human-looking Giselle was a big one!)

I'm not a Shooter-hater by any stretch of the imagination, but he really seemed to quash Manapul's best work on this title.

I'm not surprised to hear about communications going so awry when the writer and artist have not only never even met or sat down to talk about what they are co-creating, but don't have even direct lines of communication, but have to coordinate through a third party! That's all kinds of counter-intuitive!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#594840 09/26/11 07:14 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
With the huge delays on the Bat-Books, the mess of "The Return" one shots, contradictory stories, and now these revelations about Legion, I'm convinced more than even that Mike Marts isn't a very good editor.

#594841 09/26/11 07:59 AM
Active
Active
Projectra had been an excellent character in this series, until Shooter his own author destroyed it completely.
In addition it was trying to kill also Element Lad because it could not use like his power. Shameful!

From UK with glamour.
#594842 09/27/11 05:00 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
I wonder how many of his complaints were added on due to his frustration at his requests not being followed?

He sounded quite irritated, and some people become more nitpicky in that mood. Other people are more calm, and will only complain about the most important things while letting others slide.

I think his complaint on the changes in his text piece for the flight ring were very valid, though. And he phrased his complaints in a firm, but still reasonable, way.
what he said.

#594843 09/27/11 07:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Manapul certainly gave a very admirable response.

Shooter's comments are pretty interesting. It would have been more politic to have kept them as internal communication with the editor and made more general comments in public about his script not being followed. However, it does give us an idea of some of the battles that go on in producing a book.

Too bad for Shooter that he wasn't the artist as well; he could have produced exactly what he envisioned. I saw an interview with Chris Ware (who does the Acme Novelty Library series) in which he described how minutely involved he was with every step of production, admitting to being very very demanding and picky. It must be pretty frustrating for creators, writers and artists, to not have things come out the way they want due to other players or, as Francis said, communication problems.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#594844 09/27/11 09:07 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
With the huge delays on the Bat-Books, the mess of "The Return" one shots, contradictory stories, and now these revelations about Legion, I'm convinced more than even that Mike Marts isn't a very good editor.
Agreed... and if he's going to play Middleman, like he apparently tried to do here to "spare" Francis from Shooter, at least do it well.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Sir Tim Drake #911122 09/28/16 08:25 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This issue came up again on Facebook in one of the Legion groups discussing Shooter's birthday. It made me realise that I miss having Ricardo around, even though we never really agreed on a single thing about Shooter's run.

Sir Tim Drake #911131 09/28/16 08:44 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
What other Legion groups!? smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,255
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires