Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 50 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Errors on Main Forum Page
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/14/24 03:15 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/14/24 03:09 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 05/14/24 03:01 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/14/24 02:42 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 02:03 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 02:02 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/14/24 01:55 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:21 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: ADVENTURE COMICS #1 (#504) SPOILERS!
#595186 08/20/09 10:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
[b]
Originally posted by Superboy:
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Superboy (Kal-El) himself was a Legionnaire even though he never wore the costume as Superboy in his own time.
I'm not sure that's the case. I've heard different statements on this. I think it's that he did have a career including in the suit somewhat, but it was very secretive. That means he didn't prance around in public in the suit for sure, but I don't think it means absolutely that he never wore the costume in his own time.
Internet talk or from a book?

Have any of the books discussed exactly when and why the suit was made?

and for SAL

Do we know for sure that Ranzz doesn't have the proty consciousness? Was that published? [/b]
It was Johns who said that Garth isn't Proty (since Garth as Proty didn't happen, it's difficult to include in a story)

Clark first wore the costume in Action Comics 863 in flashback at the end of the Superman/Legion arc. [/b]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When did Johns state that? I know it's obvious, but still...

#595187 08/20/09 03:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Superboy:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Superboy (Kal-El) himself was a Legionnaire even though he never wore the costume as Superboy in his own time.
I'm not sure that's the case. I've heard different statements on this. I think it's that he did have a career including in the suit somewhat, but it was very secretive. That means he didn't prance around in public in the suit for sure, but I don't think it means absolutely that he never wore the costume in his own time.

and for SAL

Do we know for sure that Ranzz doesn't have the proty consciousness? Was that published? [/b]
It was Johns who said that Garth isn't Proty (since Garth as Proty didn't happen, it's difficult to include in a story)

Clark first wore the costume in Action Comics 863 in flashback at the end of the Superman/Legion arc. [/b]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When did Johns state that? I know it's obvious, but still... </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Obvious because he's a hothead and Proty wasn't?

... and anally, isn't it Proty as Garth? Hmmm?

#595188 08/21/09 09:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
[b]
[b] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Superboy:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:

and for SAL

Clark first wore the costume in Action Comics 863 in flashback at the end of the Superman/Legion arc. [/b]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When did Johns state that? I know it's obvious, but still... </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Obvious because he's a hothead and Proty wasn't?

... and anally, isn't it Proty as Garth? Hmmm? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well, Garth/Proty had a lot more problems than not being hotheaded ~ is not being hotheaded a problem?

This is the Legion the grew from the Silver Age, right?
Then, Garth died and was resurrected somehow.
Maybe it was Reflecto or someone else, and it's still not Garth that we're seeing.
gads

I think Imra and Garth should get a divorce anyway.
I don't like this Garth and he's obviously ubber jealous of Rokk, who's seems not to be with Lydda anymore.
He was standing alone with Imra looking at him mornfully in one panel.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#595189 08/21/09 02:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, in other panels, you see Garth and Imra holding one another.

#595190 08/21/09 03:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Candle:
Well, Garth/Proty had a lot more problems than not being hotheaded ~ is not being hotheaded a problem?
[/QB]
I was trying to determine how people knew this was "Just Garth" as opposed to "Garth-Proty."

I thought maybe they were saying that G-P wasn't hot-headed and the Johnsboot version is, hence Johnsboot Garth isn't a proty-garth, he's just a garth-garth.

#595191 08/21/09 06:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Someone said Johns said somewhere that it wasn't Proty-Garth.
Proty-Garth, before we knew that it was Proty's spirit inside, had some major mental breakdowns, if I remember correctly.

This Garth is really quite different but all of the Legionnaires have much more personality since the reboot time, even these who are based on the originals.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#595192 08/22/09 08:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Got it and read it last night!

What a pleasant surprise it was.

Though I collected Clone-El's last series, it was definitely an up-and-down book that never stood out as one of my favorites. His run in ADVENTURE might change that.

I *love* that they have an option for the series numbering. Traditionalists have their Adventure # 504 and today's fans of all-new and all-now have a new # 1.

Loving the Smallville setting.

Francis' art seems to have taken on a stripped-down simple approach that my eye finds appealing. The muted coloring was lovely.

The last panel I found to be quite creepy (in a good way). Clone-El has daddy issues deluxe, doesn't he?

A very nice if not breathtaking start.

And now for THE LEGION!

While I am having a difficult time trying to accept that DC considers the LSH's current popularity to be at about the level of the latest Blue Beetle and Ravager, I didn't let that stop me from enjoying the backup tale.

The blurry character bios-blocks and mixup with Lydda and Shady was pretty unforgivable though!!

This was over much too soon but I liked the look at things to come.

All in all, a good start. Hope the sales are there.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#595193 08/22/09 08:34 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Got it and read it last night!

What a pleasant surprise it was...

I *love* that they have an option for the series numbering. Traditionalists have their Adventure # 504 and today's fans of all-new and all-now have a new # 1.
My comic's guy, good guy that he is, made sure to have the 504 in my bin but I just couldn't not have that Manapul cover on 1 so I shocked him when I switched.

Francis' art seems to have taken on a stripped-down simple approach that my eye finds appealing. The muted coloring was lovely.
This:
Christina\'s World

I've never had a commision done, but I could really imagine hanging on my wall, a Manapul "cover" of Wyeth's Christina's World, with Imra or Ayla instead.

#595194 08/22/09 10:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
got it. enjoyed it.

I've actually been looking forward to the Legion as a back-up series, to allow character time rather than big universe-shaking epics that fall flat. I was mostly worried about the lead... Kon-El was never my fave, but this take is good so far. I like Manipul's art here better than on v5, and like the links between lead and backup.

I'm glad the Thom story seems to be going somewhere; it was the one thing I was most disappointed with in JSA. The hints-to-come bit looks good; it looks like good follow-through from L3W.

Now we just need code-names bumped up to adult names, since these are Clark's peers, not Kon's.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#595195 08/22/09 03:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wyeth is a favorite and I can connect him to the Adventure look.

And I love that you want to bump the code names, Kent ~ be prepared for an intellectual battle, though.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#595196 08/22/09 04:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
More of an emotional one has been my take on that battle, lol.

#595197 08/22/09 07:10 PM
SLK Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Random thoughts:

I hope that limiting Johns to eight pages will force him to tell stories with a little more meat to them. I'm not sure he juggles large groups very well. Now I know he had success on JSA, but even that felt as though characters were often ignored and stories dragged for far too long.

I never imagined that the launching of a new Legion feature would start with Starboy(Man) and Tellus. I love Tellus and hope he won't quickly be forgotten.

I usually enjoy Johns's "sneak preview" page, but this time it felt like wasted space. I want more story!

I cannot wait until the Legion bumps Superboy out of another title.

#595198 08/22/09 07:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think that might be the plan down the road...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#595199 08/22/09 08:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I enjoyed it... But then, you all know how I feel about Star Boy, ESPECIALLY the Danny Blaine incarnation...

Touch the magic...
#595200 08/22/09 08:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have no idea who Danny Blaine is.
confused

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#595201 08/22/09 08:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Danny Blaine is the name Thom uses in the Twentienth Century

Touch the magic...
#595202 08/23/09 03:58 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh!
Well, I'm always missing something!
Thanks for the info.
smile

BB ~ yes, lol.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#595203 08/24/09 01:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It was intro'd in the Robinson Starman series (1994-2002ish, when Jack Knight met Thom Kallor (the Reboot version) two times. The first time (#50), young Thom was shocked to learn that he would someday live in the past as Danny Blaine and meet his preordained fate. They met again in one of the final issues, an older Thom who knew the following day would be his last.

Current Starman/Neoclassic Thom has used the Danny Blaine name a couple times in JSA, and he is clearly a different timeline-variant of the one Jack met.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#595204 08/24/09 04:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"different"

Missed opportunity

#595205 08/24/09 08:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've never been a fan of Superboy. Any version. Ever. I preferred the Legion without him.

But I love Krypto. The dog rocks. So I enjoyed this issue, and I'll stick around for at least a few more.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#595206 08/25/09 02:43 AM
Active
Active
Anyone else connect the red jewel that Luthor has on the cover to the red glowing pendant Simon Valentine wears? Possible Anagram--Mon-El is Native-- a possible Lar Gand/Luthor hybrid clone?Hmm...

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#595207 08/25/09 03:13 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Finally got this issue, but I'd seen so many previews that it felt like I'd already read it. It did feel pretty much like a set up, but that's okay. Yay Krypto! I'm so glad Krypto doesn't talk anymore, just acts like a dog. Nice feel to the Smallville scenes, but you know that calm can't last. Don't know about this Simon Valentine character....

Thom Kallor, so sad. It just strikes me as ominous; he's entrusted with this big mission and sometimes he's aware of what's going on, but usually it's all muddled in his head.

I actually prefer this sort of treatment of the Legionnaires in 20th/21st century story. Usually they arrive as a group, do their thing and pop back to the future. Here they're all scattered, trying to put together the pieces of whatever mission(s) they had - a test of their abilities, and a bit of a puzzle for the reader to figure out.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#595208 08/25/09 05:19 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

Yes, if you're willing to pay 10 bucks an issue for the Adventure numbering.
urk

#595209 08/25/09 06:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My CBS didn't do that. Both issues were the same price. I wouldn't have paid extra.

#595210 08/25/09 07:44 AM
Active
Active
Garth only became really proty in the 5 year gap stories post-LSH 5. We can say that in the revised timeline in the Glorith universe that Garth was really proty based in a large part of the membership of Kid Quantum (because KQ had all the sentience of the Proteans, except for 5 of them plus Kid Q and Proty 1) it makes sense for Garth to have been Proty then since it was a clear revelation happening...and also it was more organic story telling than pre-Gloirth universe...and besides...the idea really started as fan talk...kinda like Jan being gay and Mon-EL really being Eltro Gand. All of which became cannon during the 5year gap, not before.

Bring back the super-cousins
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,288
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires