Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:55 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:52 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 04:44 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:40 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:38 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/02/24 04:33 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/02/24 04:33 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legion of superheroes issue 1 ...Should this book have been rebooted (spoilers)
#596308 09/21/11 03:23 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Well i have to say, like most of us I have been waiting with caution and hope for issue one. I will say the art is amazing, the best in along time. I agree that this artist is right on the money with almost every detail! BUT.............................................SPOILERS

Well, we finally have a clear picture of who is here, who is dead, who is missing...well sorta! It looks like Mr. Allon has quit, not great news at all! And it looks like the Legion Lost cast are considered dead because they all have statue's now in the hall of heroes along with our friend Earthman/Absorbancy boy. Love Mon-el's new look but what is this?? Quit being the leader already? Not good news since the readers voted for him and I guess Paul pulled him off and gave it to ..surprise..Brainy the panel hog. We have seen little to no Shrinking Violet, Invisible Kid, Polar Boy, Quislet, Lightning Lass...that hasnt changed! As far as the "newbies", Harmonia Li is now a member and called Harmonia complete with elemental powers. Also along for the ride are Chemical Kid, Dragonwing, Glorith and Comet Queen.

So............. Our beloved Legion is hardly the same. Let's recap!

Lightnig Lad - Retired/Leave
Saturn Girl - Retired/Leave
Cosmic Boy - Active
Duplicate Girl - Academy
Phantom Girl -Active
Chameleon Boy - Active
Colossal Boy - Retired
Brainiac -5 - Active
Sun Boy - Active
Shrinking Violet - Active
Bouncing Boy - Academy
Matter Eater Lad - Retired
Ultra Boy - Active
Mon-el - Active
Lightning Lass - Active
Dream Girl -Active
Star Boy - Active
Element Lad - Active
Projectra - Retired/Leave
Shadow Lass - Active
Timber Wolf - Lost
Wildfire - Lost
Tyroc - Lost
Dawnstar - Lost
Blok - Retired/Leave
Invisible Kid - Active
White Witch - Retired/Leave
Polar Boy - Active
Tellus - Lost
Quislet - Who the hell knows
Night Girl - Academy
Earth Man - Dead
Chameleon Girl - Lost/Dead
Gates - Lost /Dead
XS - Who the hell knows
Chemical Kid - Active
Dragon wing - Active
Comet Queen - Active
Harmonia - Active
Glorith - Active
Karate Kid number 3 - Who the hell knows

Hope I didnt forget anyone

So................the question I put to all of you is with soooooooo many of our favorites gone and no one really liking the newbies and mad at the graduates not getting in (Jed, Nightwind, Lamprey, Crystal Kid)..should the Legion have been rebooted, say to the Earthwar era with modified versions of the classic costumes..Chem alive, etc...

Re: Legion of superheroes issue 1 ...Should this book have been rebooted (spoilers)
#596309 09/21/11 04:13 PM
G
Active
Active
G
I refuse to read it. The entire Legion is dead as far as I am concerned. As for rebooting in general? It is a terrible idea, but since the rest of the DCU was rebooted, shouldn't the Legion also be rebooted by default? Because, unless they are from a completely different timeline/dimension than the rest of the DCU, then NONE of their stories relating to the past can have occured as previously depicted. That isn'tjust the really old stories (Superboy and Supergirl related), but very recent events they participated in like "Last Stand of New Krypton", "The Lightning Saga", "Final Crisis: The Legion of 3 Worlds", "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes"..... all of those events are now gone and their effects in the 31st century should be too. So, no death of Rond Vidar due to no presence of Superboy Prime. The Xenophobia of Earth must have been resolved some other way than depicted, because THAT version of Superman nolonger exists. It is all a bunch of CR@P as far as I am concerned and I refuse to keep paying for and reading cr@p.

Re: Legion of superheroes issue 1 ...Should this book have been rebooted (spoilers)
#596310 09/21/11 04:48 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I just got done reading it... and I'm not sure how i feel about it. I do agree that the cadets that just made the team shouldn't have. they should still be at the academy! i find them to be kind of annoying to be honest...
it does give some idea of where most do stand though. but i feel like we needed this issue to do more than state the status quo... this should have been a double sized issue!
love the art though!

I was a huge fan of the post zero hour legion. so I'd rather have them back. but that's not going to happen.

but I agree with NoLongerLegion... if the rest of the DCU was rebooted they should have been too. then maybe we all could be happy...

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
#596311 09/21/11 08:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Omni:
... then maybe we all could be happy...
When that happens, our world will reboot.

;-)

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#596312 09/22/11 05:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by imskian78:
Love Mon-el's new look but what is this?? Quit being the leader already? Not good news since the readers voted for him and I guess Paul pulled him off and gave it to ..surprise..Brainy the panel hog.
Um... Brainy tells Mon-el to quit, but he doesn't do it.

#596313 09/22/11 06:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks for the recap!

Some things:

20 Active Legionnaires (excluding the missing Quislet and XS - I'm bothered by Quislet too. He wasn't shown at all in the splash pages).

9/20 are female: Phantom Girl, Lightning Lass, Violet, Dream Girl, Shadow Lass, Glorith, Dragonwing, Comet Queen, Harmonia, but 4 of those 9 are newbies. (I can see fans of Saturn Girl and the others being slightly annoyed).

Of the current 20, the only ones who can't really pass for human in terms of looks are: Chameleon Boy, Brainiac 5, Shadow Lass, Comet Queen. The others (Dawnstar, Wildfire, Gates, Tellus, Chameleon Girl) are all among the lost.

Also, the only ones who didn't join in the Adventure Era are the 5 newbies, Invisible Kid II and Polar Boy (and that last one was created in said era).

Interesting, Harmonia has elemental powers which we've never seen a hint of before. One wonders why she never used them even when the LSV was there.

Certainly be interesting to see how this shapes up.

#596314 09/22/11 08:31 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Interesting, Harmonia has elemental powers which we've never seen a hint of before. One wonders why she never used them even when the LSV was there.
She used some powers in one of the last couple issues. She appeared to use either TK or wind to push Dream Girl, but it was confusing at the time and never explained. Now we finally see that she has nature elemental powers.

#596315 09/22/11 04:20 PM
jab Offline
Honorary
Honorary
ive always felt, although i have dug all the legion reboots so far (yes i did love 3boot for what it was)future stories never need a reboot based on the past, cause the past of the comics never change, and we can just assume itll change back to norm by the time the future comic is taking place anyway.

my head hurts.

#596316 09/23/11 04:11 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I pretty much agree with jab's sentiment completely...I have liked nearly every Legion incarnation for different reasons, but I really think a reboot isn't necessary...instead of worrying about how continuity is affected by whatever changes Kal and Kara undergo for example, better to just not refer to stories that hinge on those two being there too intricately....if we learned anything from COIE, it's that even the most drastic change can eventually be undone.

eg: For a long time I honestly never thought we would see Krypto again, but he was reintroduced, was around for quite a while, and even if he doesn't currently exist in the DCU I don't see anything preventing him from being reintroduced again..

#596317 09/23/11 06:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Haggard Lad:
[b]Interesting, Harmonia has elemental powers which we've never seen a hint of before. One wonders why she never used them even when the LSV was there.
She used some powers in one of the last couple issues. She appeared to use either TK or wind to push Dream Girl, but it was confusing at the time and never explained. Now we finally see that she has nature elemental powers. [/b]
Thanks for the correction. I somehow finished reading that issue with the impression that she'd flipped Dream Girl over, martial arts style, and that she had super-strength. Hmmm........

#596318 09/23/11 09:47 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by razsolo:
....if we learned anything from COIE, it's that even the most drastic change can eventually be undone.
WILL be undone. Nothing is safe from management fiat, no matter how interesting it was, how beloved by fans, how much sense it makes, or how awful the replacement ideas are.

In the silver-lining area: it kinda makes me glad they didn't bother actually policing continuity that strongly after COIE. Or any of the other history-adjusting events. There's really no point in having things consistent only until the rug gets pulled again.

#596319 09/23/11 10:29 AM
Active
Active
Another reboot would be too much. (As much as I'd love the opportunity to have Rond Vidar alive or the original Fatal 5 back.) That said however, we really need new stories moving forward, not fixing continuity glitches. Don't try to address how Lo3W could have happened or Last Krypton, or Lightning Saga, or... just look forward. Nothing kills new readership more than endless stories about past continuity.

Gorilla Nebula
#596320 09/23/11 01:47 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
Another reboot would be too much. (As much as I'd love the opportunity to have Rond Vidar alive or the original Fatal 5 back.) That said however, we really need new stories moving forward, not fixing continuity glitches. Don't try to address how Lo3W could have happened or Last Krypton, or Lightning Saga, or... just look forward. Nothing kills new readership more than endless stories about past continuity.
I would agree that it is not really necesary to spend a bunch of time on-pannel in the main book(s) going over continuity. However, if the editors would just issue a statement to the readers saying something like "this, this and this are still in continuity, while that, that and that aren't" and then make the writers stick to it.... that would have been great. Instead we got the tired old "wait and see" BS and after a couple of years waiting with one writer saying this was in continuity while another said it wasn't, the few answers we actually got are now in question again. A total load of cr@p! And acting like nothing happened for them while changing virtually everything that they are based on in the past? More cr@p. Done with it.
You can't build a house without a foundation.
You can't build a future without a past.
Learning about all the little things that made them what they were was cool the first time. Maybe even discovering the changes the first time they were rebooted. Now it is just annoying cr@p that honestly takes away from the story.
And what is it with 'should' it have been rebooted anyway? It has had a 'defacto reboot' because it's past has been ripped out from under it yet again. What is the point in investing in any of the characters when they can be totally changed without rhym or reason at the whim of a writer that has free reign with no reguard for their (basicly non-existant) history?

#596321 09/23/11 03:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ummm.
Every book series or TV series that I've ever read or seen was written at the whim of the writers, editors, producers.
Occasionally fans will have input, but that's actually rare, I mean other than the basic choosing to read or watch the series.

And some series reboot - Star Trek, for a fairly recent example, Thundercats, for another.

I DO prefer that writers function within the established parameters of the series, otherwise things become blurred and confusing.

I've disliked the retroboot claiming to be the original timeline, then, having Levitz change the past, Imra and Rokk irritatingly comes to mind.

He also ignored or minimalized events established by other writers in the timeline that had input before he began, Tenzil quiting off panel, dang it tongue .

sigh
That being said, I tend to go with the flow of the timelines.

And this Legion HAS been rebooted with the rest of the DCnU.
Hense, the #1.

It just hasn't been GREATLY changed, since it doesn't really have to be, since the Legion is a thousand years into the future.
shrug

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#596322 09/25/11 09:17 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
XS will apparently be appearing in a Flash related series, The Flash: Speed Force . I wonder if her "mosaic" plot point will be explored in the Legion still...

Re: the new kids, I read Adventure 529 again. Granted, they did good in taking down Cosmic King - but CQ, Dragonwing and Chem Kid would have been TOAST if Glorith, Gravity Kid and Variable Lad hadn't come along.

I dunno, it doesn't really seem like a good enough reason to bring them in. I'm sure Nightwind, Power Boy and the others could have done just as well.

Still, with the Legion shorthanded (and with open disagreement within the Legion on the Academy Kids), I can live with that for now.

#596323 10/03/11 10:57 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
XS will apparently be appearing in a Flash related series, The Flash: Speed Force .
Uh, did you check the date on that iB? ("July 23, 2010 @ 06:17 PM by Kevin Melrose")

Looong pre-DCnU. The thing was just abandoned.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#596324 10/04/11 03:09 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Huh, thought it was still pending, since nothing came up announcing the cancellation of that series.

Thanks for the headsup, Boot!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,059
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Andorian Lantern
Andorian Lantern
New York, NY