Roll Call
0 members (), 44 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legion Desktop, Version 1
#596939 08/25/07 02:42 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Never satisfied with the multi-tasking life I have and thinking the four or less hours of sleep I get a night is going to waste, I've found a new passion (for the moment). Creating desktop themes.

I'm using an application called DesktopX from Stardock . Just beginning really but it is fun playing with making widgets and objects. I may invest in the Pro version so I can export my widgets as gadgets, making them self-executable for others to use.

Anyway, the reason I started playing around was because I wanted to make, of course, a Legion themed desktop. DesktopX seemed like the best way since it kind of mimics Vista without having to use a Vista OS. It can be used to make transparent desktop items that can be moved around, etc.

This is what I've got so far, just from playing around last night.

click to enlarge

You can change your wallpaper from the side bar as well as see your local temp (or whatever other widget I think to add). The slide out news bar has Legion links and I'm working on the Office/Application slide out to include the Legion Help File.

One drawback is that for anyone to use the theme, they do have to have at least the basic version of DesktopX. It has a free use period (60 days I think). Then you have to purchase it. But it is only $14.95.

I don't know if this will go much beyond something for me to play around with and use on my desktop, but if anyone else was interested, what kind of things would you like to see?

One thing I should mention is that it is resolution dependent, at least at my skill level. So the one I'm working on is set for widescreen desktops at 1680x1050. But it wouldn't be that much trouble to provide versions at other resolutions.

Re: Legion Desktop, Version 1
#596940 08/25/07 04:17 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's amazing Scott. Great job!

Too bad the sunlight on the field displays a windows logo instead of the Legion logo. That would make it perfect!

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#596941 08/25/07 09:57 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Originally posted by Vee:
That's amazing Scott. Great job!

Too bad the sunlight on the field displays a windows logo instead of the Legion logo. That would make it perfect!
Someone photomanip that wallpaper, STAT!

-- Still here to help.
#596942 08/25/07 10:39 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Been thinking about this some more and I have a few suggestions.

1)Instead of the calendar page maybe it could be an omnicom icon displaying the date (and maybe combine the time with it as well.)

2) Use the Legion World icon for the weather

3) Use a Legion Flight Ring instead of Legion World icon for the slide out news bar icon (transportation is flight ring territory smile )

4) Maybe you could use one of those floating autograph pens from the Adventure era to replace the notepad (or one of those blue android guys from the DnA run)

5) You could replace the trash can with a clear bottle of Kono Juice (and a full one for when the trash can is full)

More later if I think of anything smile

#596943 08/25/07 11:08 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thanks Vee! Wish I could take credit for the wallpaper but that's just my current one. I tend to use realistic pics for mine and always stormy, usually with lightning. Never would think that would you? wink

I've been looking for the original without the Windows logo to see if I can play around with it but I'm not much the manipper when it comes to the real looking stuff.

I made a small tweak since I posted the one above. The button to toggle the side bar from the left menu (all menus are invisible until toggled). I replaced the one of Computo's hand that I made since I wasn't too thrilled with it. Instead I put a great picture of HAL 9000's light that lights up when you hover. It'll show on my next update.

#596944 08/25/07 11:20 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Should have refreshed before I posted. shocked

Been thinking about this some more and I have a few suggestions.

1)Instead of the calendar page maybe it could be an omnicom icon displaying the date (and maybe combine the time with it as well.)
I was thinking of using the Omnicom there. What about this one?

[Linked Image]

I think I can make it stay animated in the menu.

2) Use the Legion World icon for the weather
The weather is actually not static. It changes depending on the forecast. The weather widget lets you click on the location and enter either your ZIP code or City, State/Country. Then the icon will change with the weather/time of day. Right now mine is a hazy thumbnail moon sliver.

3) Use a Legion Flight Ring instead of Legion World icon for the slide out news bar icon (transportation is flight ring territory smile )
D'oh! Excellent idea. I'll have to see if I still have a great copy I can clean up.

4) Maybe you could use one of those floating autograph pens from the Adventure era to replace the notepad (or one of those blue android guys from the DnA run)
Actually maybe the Omnicom icon would be better here? This is the spot for applications. Not sure.

5) You could replace the trash can with a clear bottle of Kono Juice (and a full one for when the trash can is full)
I thought of using the Chuck icons from the original Legion Desktop Theme . I need to see if Phil or Michael would mind.

More later if I think of anything smile
Keep the ideas coming!

#596945 08/26/07 12:08 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I remember a Legion desktop that had a time bubble showing 3 Legionnaires (I believe a bit shadowed), but I always thought it would be cool if there was a Legion screensaver with the time bubble slowing moving around the screen. The background would be swirling colors, maybe with an occasional year listed. That would rock like Blok!!!

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#596946 08/26/07 06:02 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Still way in the early stages but I need some sleep!

click to enlarge

#596947 08/26/07 09:10 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Love the flight ring and Stylus pad! The red HAL 9000 light looks great also. Can't really make out what the replacement for the trash can is now but it doesn't look like Chuck to me laugh

I did come up with another idea for the trash can. Do you recall the picture of Cham disguised as a trash can from one of the very early "Meet the Legionnaires? I haven't seen it in ages but I seem to recall that they had him outlined inside. Anyway to make it toggle back and forth betwee Cham & can? laugh

#596948 08/26/07 09:16 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
BTW, I have the original Legion Theme desktop (I use it without the wallpaper options 'cause my original Moy drawn Mon holds that spot) The Chuck trash can is fun but for some reason I don't feel like it would fit stylistically with your overall theme.

#596949 08/26/07 09:21 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Or maybe the trash can could be a slim & fatassed version of Tenzil that switches back and forth laugh

#596950 08/26/07 10:39 AM
Deputy
Deputy
What about using the globe Computo instead? You know, when he was the majordomo thingie back in LSH #311?

Also, instead of the weather icon, you could use a picture of the respective Legionnaire (or their mission monitor hologram). Instead of sunshine, it would be Sun Boy. Thunderstorms could be Lightning Lad. Ice/snow could be Polar Boy...etc.

Looking really cool so far though!!

Craig C.

#596951 08/26/07 02:42 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
The weather widget has 46 images. I'm not sure I could come up with enough Legionnaire variations. smile

But maybe if I replace the basic ones; sunny, rainy, night, etc., that would be a good idea.

I was thinking of doing a trash can with Tenzil but really couldn't figure out how. My first thought was a full can would be him, in the can, with his mouth full. Not sure. Need someone a little more artistic than myself on that one. The current can is just a modern trash can I liked. I did try the Chuck from the original theme and, like you said, it didn't fit. I want to keep this away from the cartoony feel of the Fanzine theme.

Need to work on the wallpaper changer and radio widget. The radio comes on each time the desktop starts and I would rather have it set off so the user toggles it. It just streams free internet radio and the feed can be changed by the user.

The wallpaper changer keeps dropping my wallpapers. I think it is a problem in the script.

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.

#596952 08/26/07 03:03 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
I should point out the name "COMPUTO" that shows on mine is because it is set to show the computer name. It can show the user's account name, CPU name, etc. My desktop just happens to be named Computo.

#596953 08/26/07 03:19 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
The weather widget has 46 images. I'm not sure I could come up with enough Legionnaire variations. smile
I bet we could, though some might be a bit of a streach laugh

#596954 08/26/07 03:23 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The more I look at that wallpaper image the more I think it wouldn't be that difficult to turn it into a Legion "L with shooting star" logo. All it would require is eliminating the dark lines between upper left, lower left & lower right quadrants and then outlining the shooting star in the upper right quadrant, then darkening the balance of the that quadrant.

(Not that I could do a good job of it mind you...just saying wink )

#596955 08/26/07 05:08 PM
Deputy
Deputy
In Legion Annual #1 (where Danielle & Jacques first appeared), Garth fight a household trash compactor (called an Atomizer) when Computo took over the HQ. Imra even commented on the Atomizer thinking all the wreakage in the room was garbage so it was attempting to incinerate everything. Maybe someone could create the look of the Atomizer as the trash bin. When there is trash to delete, it could glow red (like it did in the Annual). Just a thought. I'd whip up an icon myself if I had any ability to do it whatsoever... smile

So I assume the "cartoony" Legion desktop is the next project after you finish this one? Sleep is highly overrated after all lol

Craig C.

#596956 08/29/07 10:56 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Haven't been able to get much done this week but I do have this for the recycle bin. Not exactly the atomizer from the annual but does it pass your inspection?

[Linked Image]
Atomizer - Empty

[Linked Image]
Atomizer - Full

#596957 08/29/07 11:00 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
The more I look at that wallpaper image the more I think it wouldn't be that difficult to turn it into a Legion "L with shooting star" logo. All it would require is eliminating the dark lines between upper left, lower left & lower right quadrants and then outlining the shooting star in the upper right quadrant, then darkening the balance of the that quadrant.

(Not that I could do a good job of it mind you...just saying wink )
Been trying to do this but I think it would go easier if I could just find the blank or something similar. I'll keep at it though.

#596958 08/30/07 01:35 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
I get back to my apt. and my desktop with Adobe on Monday, I'll see what I can do with it for you.

#596959 08/30/07 02:18 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Haven't been able to get much done this week but I do have this for the recycle bin. Not exactly the atomizer from the annual but does it pass your inspection?

[Linked Image]
Atomizer - Empty

[Linked Image]
Atomizer - Full
I'd say you improved upon the Atomizer my friend!! That looks great!

Craig C.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,254
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires