Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:51 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:11 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:10 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LEGION #3 (preview & spoilers)
#597104 11/14/11 11:32 PM
Korbal Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
Re: LEGION #3 (preview & spoilers)
#597105 11/15/11 01:43 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I was hoping everyone would have new uniforms by now.
sigh

Small point, I guess.
Otherwise, the art is beautiful and bright and I love the early look at Daxam and their medical unit and the confirmation of the Darkseid saga.

I wonder who's going after the Dominion ships?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#597106 11/15/11 12:21 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Another Daxamite named, this time Ran Thal, blowing my theory that Paul had forgotten that Mon-El wasn't Lar Gands actual name and had started using Kryptonian names for Daxamites out of the water!

Cool. That's the sort of thing I'm happy to be wrong about.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#597107 11/15/11 12:32 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Always love those "cavalry" scenes. Looks like Shady and Jan at least will get a chance to strut their stuff. Hope Dirk, Brek and Comet Queen do, too.

Wonder what Jan's planning to do that requires Shady to give him a minute? Is he going to do something that would require them to get Mon-El out of harm's way first?

#597108 11/16/11 06:49 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Best issue of the new series yet. The Legion works as a team, Daxam was well thought out, Everyone does their thing, Tinya, Brainy, Jan and Shady are all pretty awesome, and Mon-el has some good lines and does the leader thing.

Really happy this series is unfolding better than expected.

#597109 11/16/11 06:14 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Loved it except <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">for the abrupt end which didn't translate well visually.</span></span>

I agree best issue yet of new DCNU. Most Legionnaires had something to contribute except <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Invisible Kid, who really needs to be spotlighted soon.</span></span>

#597110 11/16/11 10:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I thought the end was rather abrupt too. I got the impression the whole ending was just a setup for Mon-El's last line.

Besides that, I thought it was a very good issue!

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#597111 11/17/11 09:48 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*delete*

#597112 11/17/11 11:50 PM
K
Active
Active
K
Daxamites are invulnerable. If invulnerablity is to mean anything, it has to mean the molecules inside them are immune from damage, and that would include anti-lead serum. If he could turn the anti-lead serum in their bloodstream into something, he could turn the water in their bloodstream into something and they wouldn't really be invulnerable at all.

#597113 11/18/11 03:25 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Personally, I thought everyone handled the Dominion ships really well, with a glimpse at the 3 cadet members abilities.

Since this is a new boot, a new universe, no matter how close to the retroboot it is, I don't have any trouble with Jan's powers being defined the way that they were in the story.

And while the end DID seem a little abrupt, Lar SHOULD have more refinement in his powers and more fighting skills than the newbie Daxamite.
I just wish we'd gotten to see what he did.

I'd like that last panel to be erased, too.
Although, Tasmia has been so nasty to him these last few months, a little jab back at her would be understandable. I just wish it hadn't been sexual in nature.

I notice that Jan still has his hands on Shady in a number of panels.
It probably won't come to anything, but it's interesting to me since I wrote a series of short fictions about Tasmia and on of them was about a relationship between her and Jan that resulted in a child.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#597114 11/18/11 03:52 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Daxamites are invulnerable. If invulnerablity is to mean anything, it has to mean the molecules inside them are immune from damage, and that would include anti-lead serum. If he could turn the anti-lead serum in their bloodstream into something, he could turn the water in their bloodstream into something and they wouldn't really be invulnerable at all.
I always thought that it would have been the parts of him that are actually *him* that would have been invulnerable. His cells and stuff. Not the air in his lungs, the half-digested sammich in his tummy or the poop in his colon.

Ooh. That could actually be a bit of a problem if everything he ingested became invulnerable and, hence, indigestible... Even the oxygen molecules in the air he inhaled would become invulnerable, and he'd suffocate in short order!

That would be a kinda sucky 'super power,' come to think of it.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#597115 11/18/11 08:40 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*delete*

#597116 11/18/11 09:10 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Best issue of the relaunch, so far. Francis Portela continues to kick nass. Lot's of interesting facial expressions this time around. I enjoyed the scenes of Tinya in action on the second page. The Dominators looked great -- dark, creepy, and evil. Portela's Ultra Boy is growing on me. I absolutely love the way he draws the curls on Jan.

Levitz does better this time out. There was a good rotation of members. He certainly got onto a slippery slope in trying to define the limitations to Jan's powers. It may not all make sense, but it was interesting and got us thinking. I was a bit confused by the ending. I'm not exactly sure what Lar did to Renegade in the dark, but a win's a win, I guess. I didn't mind the final panel at all, though. It's nice to see both Mon and Brainy show a sense of humor.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#597117 11/18/11 10:13 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Really liked this issue.

We got to see teams of legionnaires doing more than posing for a mission-monitor-board panel. We got to see legionnaires using nuanced tactics against an invading fleet (rather than the more common panel (or entire issue) of them shooting energy beams or punching each other). And we got to visit Daxam!

My personal favorite was Brainy noting that Mon-El wasn't fond of him impinging on his leadership, and then Jan going straight to Brainy to formulate a strategy. It made me think of Brainy and Imra planning to campaign for Jan in a leadership election. The revelation of Mon-El's victory was a nice twist on that set-up.

#597118 11/18/11 10:24 PM
Leader
Leader
I"m somewhere in the middle on this issue. I liked the art pretty well, which again, of course means this guy won't be around for long. Thought the ending was lame, the Element Lad debate long and drawn out, and haven't Daxamites and Kryptonians always been able to see in the dark? So why would Shadow Lass's power be any use against a Daxamite?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#597119 11/19/11 08:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I loved #3 very much. Paul Levitz continues to impress!
I really enjoyed the little nod to the GDS from the Daxamite when the Legion arrived on his planet. Nice little touch there. smile

#597120 11/19/11 10:37 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I"m somewhere in the middle on this issue. I liked the art pretty well, which again, of course means this guy won't be around for long. Thought the ending was lame, the Element Lad debate long and drawn out, and haven't Daxamites and Kryptonians always been able to see in the dark? So why would Shadow Lass's power be any use against a Daxamite?
As always, my thoughts exactly Jim.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#597121 11/19/11 11:01 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Shady's powers have been inconsistent. In Legion of 3 Worlds, there was a panel where the Tasmias were able to hurt Superboy-Prime with their shadows. One of them goes, "Of course it hurts. It saps the sunlight from your cells." I guess if here shadows do absorb light, it would make sense...

#597122 11/19/11 11:31 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Additional thoughts:

Comet Queen's growing on me. She may SEEM silly, but she has focus and determination.

Dragonwing's flirtatious behavior is gonna get her into trouble one day - maybe in LSH 6!

I agree, I love that most of the Legionnaires got their moments, and that they fought intelligently and tactically. "None of the truly dangerous Legionnaires", indeed.

I love how Lightning Lass is standing up for herself; she has a history of doing that. I can see how some people would think she's toeing the line between too defensive and just right...

Love the characterization of Cosmic Boy as "natural leader who can't stop playing leader". He seems a bit... over-reactive this issue, though. I could almost see the poor guy on Daxam jumping back when Cos reacted to learning that Res-vir was pursuing off-world studies.

Violet, perceptive as always.

Invisible Kid really needs to do something soon.

Chemical Kid is still a bit cocky, but it's toned down now. I like how he's showing flashes of realizing just how serious being a Legionnaire is.

Glorith... I find it interesting how her powers are really fascinating Brainy. Not really sure about whether or not I like her yet, though.

Phantom Girl gets a few good moments this issue. You go, Tinya.

Like Ultra Boy acknowledging his need to switch powers. That's more like the crafty Glorithverse version I like.

Sun Boy looks a bit too happy to have Dragonwing coming onto him, but at least he's professional enough to keep his focus.

Polar Boy, too, is proving why he was called up to the big leagues. I was asking myself, "What good can Polar Boy do up there" - but he totally answered my question.

Jan's power limitation is interesting. I read it more as if the AMOUNT of the kryptonite was too minute for him to affect, rather than him not being able to affect anything in Renegade's system.

Mon-El got in a good punch against Shady, but... whew! If looks could kill. Still, she did deserve it, IMO.

Classic Brainiac 5 - even though he was caught by surprise, he didn't show it.

Shadow Lass - looks like her powers got an upgrade here.

PS - changing oxygen into inertron to cuff Renegade?? Would that really have worked? I mean, inertron is tough, but is it THAT tough? Or did they expect Shady would have weakened him that much?

#597123 11/19/11 12:04 PM
G
Active
Active
G
*delete*

#597124 11/20/11 12:06 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Set:
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
I always thought that it would have been the parts of him that are actually *him* that would have been invulnerable. His cells and stuff. Not the air in his lungs, the half-digested sammich in his tummy or the poop in his colon.
Well, that's going to lead to the difficult question of what's actually "him" and what isn't. Presumably the serum doesn't just sit there in him like an undigested sandwich but actually has to effect some sort of chemical reaction within him, and thus somehow bonds with his cells. So it's not implausible that it would be enough of a "part of him" to inherit the invulnerability.

Of course, this is presumably just set up to allow Chemical Kid to save the day when Element Lad couldn't.

#597125 11/20/11 12:09 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by NoLongerLegion:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
[b]PS - changing oxygen into inertron to cuff Renegade?? Would that really have worked?
I think that it has been used in the past for bonds on either Daxamites or Kryptonians. Not 100% sure, but I am pretty sure.

[/b]
The Miracle Machine was encased in inertron, which prevented Daxamites/Kryptonians from gaining access to it. Hence the fact that Matter-Eater Lad had to be called in to destroy it.

#597126 11/20/11 02:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks for the clarification, guys.

I think we can chalk it up to writer inconsistency. In Adventure 378 (which I just looked up now), Brainy desperately tried to get to the Miracle Machine to save him and 4 others from fatal poisoning. His last thought was, "We encased it in inertron... Only Superboy could get through it, and he's out cold!" Maybe Brainy was merely desperate, or it could be that a Kryptonian/Daxamite of sufficient strength COULD break through inertron. But as Renegade was weakened, inertron could have held him.

On the Element Lad debate, did anyone else think that Jan's and Brainy's lines implied that Jan just couldn't affect the serum because the trace amounts were too minute for him? Or maybe the serum had just mixed into Renegade's system enough that he wouldn't be able to.

#597127 11/20/11 03:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wasn't Jan's powers, at one point, defined as able to effect and work with elements themselves but not the more complex chemicals?
Like, he could work with oxygen or carbon but not with water?
I thought that that was the original difference between him and Condo.
But that's just how I remember it.

And Paul has been showing parts of Shadow Lass' powers that haven't been used very much over the years -
1) the abilities to either calm individuals or crows, or instill fear, disorientation and panic.
2) as someone else mentioned, drawing out energy and'or shielding from types of energies.
The mental effects were what we were shown in this issue, I thought, and that was what Lar was refering to, rather than the not seeing well.

All of the various Tasmia's in the different boots have had these various effects using their Mallor/cave granted power.

Umbra, like Lyrissa Mallor, could also use a genetic darkness energy, separate from the cave darkness, that could be used as a powerful weapon.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#597128 11/20/11 09:19 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:

On the Element Lad debate, did anyone else think that Jan's and Brainy's lines implied that Jan just couldn't affect the serum because the trace amounts were too minute for him? Or maybe the serum had just mixed into Renegade's system enough that he wouldn't be able to.
Yeah, that seems to be what he's actually saying, that there's just not enough of it and it's scattered throughout his system.

Originally posted by Candlelight:
Wasn't Jan's powers, at one point, defined as able to effect and work with elements themselves but not the more complex chemicals?
Like, he could work with oxygen or carbon but not with water?
I thought that that was the original difference between him and Condo.
But that's just how I remember it.
Yeah, that's how it was described originally, but that limitation has largely been ignored. I started a thread awhile back on cool things you could do with his power of it were used that way.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,123
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP