Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:05 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:02 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Adventure Comics #12/515 reviews
#599155 06/06/10 02:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This was my favorite story, so far, of this new version of the team. I'm a huge fan of the classic Superboy, but felt no need for his return to the DC universe. That being said, it looks like Levitz plans to have some fun with the concept. I'm all for fun.

I like the fact that Saturn Girl mentioned improved lifespans in the future. It makes me feel more comfortable with the "boy", "girl", "lass" and "lad" code names in the main book for an obviously adult team.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#599156 06/06/10 03:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I enjoyed the story, with its bright and shiny future - and another chance to see R.J. Brande (and Invisible Kid, briefly).

R.J.'s speech was a bit strange and I guess that's a retroboot - unless he just started speaking that way because of some Syntax Reversal Germ. In the reboot, didn't Cham affect a more stilted Interlac as a shield, then surprise everyone with his perfect grasp of the language? I thought R.J. took that physical form to avoid the prejudice against Durlans and get on with his business building - so why would he use that language pattern? Either he just never entirely mastered Interlac, or it could have been part of some plan to trick business opponents into thinking he wasn't as bright as he is (and that way of speaking became habit).

It was pretty interesting to see some acknowledgment of Brainy's patents. I always wondered if he was filthy rich from them, or if he gave away all his money, or if Colu seized it all... and here's old R.J., the fox, making sure his expenses are covered.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#599157 06/06/10 03:19 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm sure I am in the minority here, but I didn't like it all that much. I think this is mostly because until very recently, I had not read this era of the Legion at all. My knowledge and love for them comes from much more modern day stories and themes. I know there is a place for this kind of innocense, but again, it's not the Legion I started with or fell in love with, although it had it's roots there.

Touch the magic...
#599158 06/06/10 05:45 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
Oh, and the alternate cover, a bit of a homage to the Great Darkness Saga cover (LSH 294 IIRC) was pretty cool. Cost me $10 from my CBS. They only got 3 copies of it. I believe it was a 25 to 1 variant for DC's 75th anniversary.
I got the variant as well (I actually bought both, only the third issue of Adventure Comics I've done that with). It cost me $12, so you got lucky! Or I did--I think it was the only variant my comic shop got. They held it for me, in fact, because they know I always want the variant Adventure covers. Somehow I just have had to have the original numbering...

I've bought every issue of this revived series so far; since I enjoy Superboy (all versions) as well as the Legion, the first "Superboy(s) and the Legion of Super-Heroes" series in 30 years was made to order for me. (I've enjoyed the series overall, though some of "Last Stand of New Krypton" stuff in #511 and #512 were a bit slow for my tastes.)

This issue was a lot of fun, the mistakes with Imra and Brande's weird syntax (was he trying to speak Coluan with Brainy, perhaps?) notwithstanding. And the art was only OK. But Superboy's characterization more than made up for it. I enjoyed the "list" motif and how that plays off Kon-El's list in issues #504-509. Paul both managed a good portrayal of Superboy and picked up on the essential differences between this version and the pre-Crisis Kal-El, because the pre-Crisis Superboy wasn't "in the closet" as a superhero in his own time.

This issue also completes the triptych of the portraits of the three Superboys in Adventure Comics, something I think is rather cool.

Sometimes it's just the little things. But perhaps what I enjoyed most about the issue is that Clark was actually called Superboy by someone on panel for the first time since Infinite Crisis, and that he also referred to himself that way! 'Bout time!

Oh, and of course it's always delightful when Brainy blows up the lab!

Mike McKean
#599159 06/06/10 08:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not a classic, but a pleasant enough story.

I remember that, before it was given to the SW6 kids, the Legionnaires comic was going to tell (or retell) past stories of the then-current Legion.

I thought that was a good idea. I still do, and this was a look at how well that could go.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#599160 06/06/10 08:40 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Spiderboy:
Originally posted by Omni Craig:
[b] Oh, and the alternate cover, a bit of a homage to the Great Darkness Saga cover (LSH 294 IIRC) was pretty cool. Cost me $10 from my CBS. They only got 3 copies of it. I believe it was a 25 to 1 variant for DC's 75th anniversary.
I got the variant as well (I actually bought both, only the third issue of Adventure Comics I've done that with). It cost me $12, so you got lucky! Or I did--I think it was the only variant my comic shop got. They held it for me, in fact, because they know I always want the variant Adventure covers. Somehow I just have had to have the original numbering...

I've bought every issue of this revived series so far; since I enjoy Superboy (all versions) as well as the Legion, the first "Superboy(s) and the Legion of Super-Heroes" series in 30 years was made to order for me. (I've enjoyed the series overall, though some of "Last Stand of New Krypton" stuff in #511 and #512 were a bit slow for my tastes.)

This issue was a lot of fun, the mistakes with Imra and Brande's weird syntax (was he trying to speak Coluan with Brainy, perhaps?) notwithstanding. And the art was only OK. But Superboy's characterization more than made up for it. I enjoyed the "list" motif and how that plays off Kon-El's list in issues #504-509. Paul both managed a good portrayal of Superboy and picked up on the essential differences between this version and the pre-Crisis Kal-El, because the pre-Crisis Superboy wasn't "in the closet" as a superhero in his own time.

This issue also completes the triptych of the portraits of the three Superboys in Adventure Comics, something I think is rather cool.

Sometimes it's just the little things. But perhaps what I enjoyed most about the issue is that Clark was actually called Superboy by someone on panel for the first time since Infinite Crisis, and that he also referred to himself that way! 'Bout time!

Oh, and of course it's always delightful when Brainy blows up the lab![/b]
Absolutely--it was so nice to hear Clark called Superboy on panel! A little thing that went a long way in feeling right.

#599161 06/07/10 11:09 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Paul kept the same NormanRockwell-esque type story here that John's used to start the title. And it works. It certainly harkens back to early LSH appearances, very Silver Agey.

Nice to know girls are as flirty as ever! (Sorry ladies, but i think you have it down so much better than us boys.)

And seeing Superboy was fun. Having him want to use his powers, cut loose and be like every other kid does, Paul really nailed it.

I'm not sure the book could sustain that kind of vibe and be a big seller. But it sure would be nice wouldn't it.

Just spouting off.
#599162 06/07/10 03:20 PM
Active
Active
hmmm I wonder if Lu's gonna develop her crush on Superboy this time around...

Bring back the super-cousins
#599163 06/08/10 09:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This was a pretty 'light' story but I liked it.

Even though I was never a fan of panel-hogging Superboy back when he was sharing the book with the team, I do really feel that his presence has been missed since they removed him from the continuity.

So seeing him interacting with them all again and calling himself Superboy really does feel like a wrong has been righted somewhere in the Legion-verse. That makes me happy and this happy, little story was the perfect little vessel to celebrate the event in.

It was nice seeing Colossal Boy do something too. Was it his idea to send Superboy to Mars? If so, is that the first time he has ever been shown using his brain in a Legion story?

Shame we didn't get to see much of Lyle though. I miss him. Hopefully next issue.

The art was serviceable. Certainly not anything I'd buy a book for and there were some pretty bad panels (particularly the bottom panel on page 6 when Saturn Girl takes Clark shopping and upon entering the shop he gasps 'Okay. I'm not in Kansas anymore.' at the fact that it has about 10 coats in it. lol I think Paul's script probably asked for something a bit more impressive there.) but it wasn't so bad that it made me actively want to stop reading like some others have done.

Looking forward to next issue!

#599164 06/09/10 02:49 AM
Substitute
Substitute
just read the book.

the story is good enough. reminded me a lot of the old superboy comics, which is good. nothing memorable, but a fine read.

on the art side, though, i really believe the story would have felt much better if only the art had been... good.
i'm sorry but as far as i'm concerned this artist is amateurish at best, or at least the job he did here is. wrong proportions (on the anatomy side and between characters), total lack of expression in the characters' acting, stiff poses, and BAD BAD BAD storytelling (for example, see the page where we are introduced to imra: she's always tiny and when the camera nears her for the first time we see her from behind!).
i understand that maybe the artist was forced to work too fast, but the result is still unappropriate for a DC comics book. what surprises me the most is that an editor at DC had the courage to actually publish this stuff... and that i had to pay FOUR BUCKS for it!!!

#599165 06/09/10 03:18 AM
Active
Active
Enjoyed it.

Hopefully they will keep a 2 book format for the
Legion....

The main Legion title telling contemporary Legion stories.

Adventure or some other similar title chronicling the early years and or untold tales....of which there are many! Can also do character spotlights, which I think are done better in short stories rather than as an ongoing thing during a mega arc.

The best of both worlds.

I know one thing I have realized in the past month, I absolutely love seeing the Silver Age Legion in new/untold stories. It's just a really pleasant fun read seeing the SA Legion in Action...er Adventure.

It's not just that I love the old Adventure stories, it's that I love the Silver Age Legion. There is just someting about the look of the Silver Age Legion that just exudes this wonderful classic atmosphere.

So in this Adventure title we can have simpler fun stories with sort of a grabbag of Legion favorites, the SA Legion, Superboy, Supergirl, Superpets, maybe the Insect Queen, Chemical King, Ferro Lad...or the Bronze Age Legion. Or throw in a Gates story. Or even knew Legion stories...or alternate Legion stories.

What I hope is that the Legion winds up owning the Adventure title 100%. It's destined to be their title! It has been since their first appearance.

And one thing I do not doubt, Levitz knows how to use Superboy and Supergirl so that it seems special when they appear without over using them.

This was an awesome start to his Adventure run.

#599166 06/09/10 08:17 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Superboy:
So in this Adventure title we can have simpler fun stories with sort of a grabbag of Legion favorites, the SA Legion, Superboy, Supergirl, Superpets, maybe the Insect Queen, Chemical King, Ferro Lad...or the Bronze Age Legion. Or throw in a Gates story. Or even knew Legion stories...or alternate Legion stories.
This is my number one fantasy for these Adventure tales is that we'll get to see some Invisible Lyle and Chemical King and Ferro Lad 'untold tales!'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#599167 06/09/10 08:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The untold first Mordru story! Maybe with Ferro Lad? (Def with Lyle)

#599168 06/09/10 08:47 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Oh, if they play on the 'iron mucks with magic' notion from Superboy's Legion (and, yanno, ancient folklore), that could be a rocking way to make Ferro Lad into a major player!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#599169 06/09/10 09:08 AM
Active
Active
i have to agree that the art was sub-par. very much a third rate Jeff Moy. some of the facial expressions are just badly drawn (i.e. Phantom Girl). it would have been nice to feel the same sense of awe that Superboy does when seeing the futuristic Metropolis.

Brande's speech was jarring but will probably be explained next ish. all the girl's wanting to kiss Superboy was jarring as well. meant to be a nod at the early LSH tales with kissing contest machines, etc. to show that these are youngsters. but Saturn Girl wanting to kiss him as well? really? ol' no nonsense Imra?

really good of Levitz to re-use the checklist motif here with the original Supes. really cool to see the first time Superboy flies in outer-space. has that been shown anywhere before? an effective way to illustrate the Legion's effect on young Superman's development.

Gorilla Nebula
#599170 06/09/10 09:18 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I thought the stilted Brande speech was intentional as he was nervous talking with Cham and probably slipped into Durlan syntax. Cham's probably fresh enough "off the farm" so to speak that he might not have noticed.

#599171 06/09/10 06:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
In the Legion of Substitute Podcasters' latest interview with Paul Levitz, Levitz states that he based Brande's speech pattern on Pol Anderson's Nicholas van Rijn character.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#599172 06/09/10 06:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Now THAT I would look forward to.

Touch the magic...
#599173 06/09/10 10:44 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
Saturn Girl wanting to kiss him as well? really? ol' no nonsense Imra?
I think Imra having some sort of feelings for Kal is something Levitz has hinted at, ever so slightly, previously. Imra was one of the conspirators that wanted revenge on the Time Trapper for the death of the Pocket Universe Superboy. I think she might have actually been the head conspirator, without a word to Lightning Lad.

While there's no doubt Imra knows what just about everyone is thinking, has anyone ever truly known what she is thinking?

#599174 06/09/10 10:46 PM
Active
Active
I wonder if that untold tale of the first meeting with Mordru is going to somehow be connected to those frozen JSAers on Xerox. Levitz is afterall a JSA guy just like Johns, and Mordru is a JSA villain too. It would be unJohnslike to put those JSAers there for no good reason and it most likely has something to do with the Mordru. If that's not related to the Legion's first meeting with Mordru, it's most likely going to be related to their next.

#599175 06/10/10 03:25 AM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Superboy:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
Saturn Girl wanting to kiss him as well? really? ol' no nonsense Imra?
I think Imra having some sort of feelings for Kal is something Levitz has hinted at, ever so slightly, previously. Imra was one of the conspirators that wanted revenge on the Time Trapper for the death of the Pocket Universe Superboy. I think she might have actually been the head conspirator, without a word to Lightning Lad.

While there's no doubt Imra knows what just about everyone is thinking, has anyone ever truly known what she is thinking?
Irma confides her feelings to Kal knowing that she is about to erase his memories, so she was sorta speaking out loud, knowing that Kal would not remember her specifically speaking about her feelings.

So what.
#599176 06/10/10 05:21 AM
Active
Active
Johns has established the Legion already encountered Mordru and the Time Trapper before they even met Supes in SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN #2

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
#599177 06/10/10 10:06 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
For what is worth, pre-Crisis the first Mordru story occurred during Saturn Girl's term as leader.

#599178 06/10/10 03:14 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Originally posted by Candle:
The cover is posted a couple of places.
I think I posted it on the August solicitations thread and I got it from somewhere else here earlier but couldn't seem to find it again.
(edit: here, I'll just add it here for you):
[Linked Image]

Imra's maiden name is Ardeen, not Ranzz.

I liked the story, even with the mistakes.
The early innocence, relative low tech (except for the rings rather than jet packs) and lack of tons of ultra evil, murdering badguys was refreshing but almost so unfamiliar I had to get used to it again!

I wonder how the other guys feel about the three Legion gals all intent on smooching Kal?

Is Vi the next girl to join?
Ayla doesn't join until after Garth dies.
He was still revived by Proty, right?
Was Lar revived by Eltro, still?

So, in the end, we still have Proty-Garth and Eltro-Lar?

Just teasing, sort of.
Personally, I'm wondering why they produced an alternate cover for this issue that was clearly a hommage to the Great Darkness Saga at all? This cover has no connection to the story inside the book whatsoever.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#599179 06/10/10 07:58 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Korbal:
[b]The untold first Mordru story! Maybe with Ferro Lad? (Def with Lyle)
Johns has established the Legion already encountered Mordru and the Time Trapper before they even met Supes in SUPERMAN: SECRET ORIGIN #2 [/b]
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
For what is worth, pre-Crisis the first Mordru story occurred during Saturn Girl's term as leader.
So the flashback in Adv #269 is the 2nd time they encountered Mordru?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,213
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP