Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/12/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The original story from Jim Shooter's aborted LSH run
#599240 06/15/11 10:56 AM
Active
Active
Hmm. I've finally had a chance to skim through Jim's outlines and I have to say they do nothing to improve my opinion of this storyline. The first big thing this outline reveals is that the debacle of issue 50 was more in line with Jim's plans than we'd all originally assumed. I don't have the comic in front of me, but the outline seems to conform pretty closely to the printed issue. This story still feels bloated and ponderous to me. I can't help feel that this story that Jim took 14 issues to tell (and which would have taken at least another several, based on the Projectra nonsense), Paul Levitz in his prime could have told in three and still have packed in enough subplot material to keep the continuity moving along.

I was alternately bored and appalled by Jim's run. This outline does little to change my mind.

#599241 06/20/11 08:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sorry, I'm sure Shooter had all kinds of political reasons that are important to only himself for not finishing the series off as he had planned.
None of those reason mean sh*t to me as a life-long devoted reader. The man let me down. It was a tease. After it ended the way it did I resented him for leading us on and then dumping us to make a point to his bosses.

Exactly who did he really hurt here?

Right.

If I sound pissed off it's because I am.
I'm not going to read his precious interviews or some premise for his "lost" story for #50 because frankly I don't really care at this point. What does it matter to me know how it "would" have played out?

Why the heck would I care what he has to say now??
Shooter wasn't there for me when I was counting on him. Period.

#599242 06/20/11 08:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The way I understand it, Didio pulled the plug on the entire series. Shooter had every intention of finishing the story.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#599243 06/21/11 05:10 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Jerry:
The way I understand it, Didio pulled the plug on the entire series. Shooter had every intention of finishing the story.
No.
Shooter didn't turn in his finished stuff for his own reasons. That's why Didio had to scramble to find another writer "Justin Tyme".

#599244 06/21/11 09:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm not sure what you're referring to, FK. I was certainly upset that the final issues never saw print, but based on the information I've read, I've been more sympathetic with Shooter's position.

Shooter certainly has a reputation for being difficult, and personality issues no doubt played a role in the demise of the series. It seems pretty clear, though, that Shooter proposed a 16 issue story and Didio decided to cancel the series before the story was complete. DC had a change of heart and decided to go with the retroboot Legion over the threeboot Legion. Did Shooter have a completed script for issue #50 that he didn't turn in? I don't know. It's pretty obvious from the outlines that a single issue wouldn't have provided an opportunity to deliver all he intended. It's also pretty obvious from other Final Crisis tie-ins and lead-ins (Death of the New Gods, Countdown) that there was a lot of miscommunication between DC editorial and writers about intentions during that period.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#599245 06/23/11 09:43 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Jer, Shooter knew that the series was ending and had a giant sized final issue lined up that would tie up all (most?) loose ends. He said this himself from an earlier interview. He wasn't happy about it but that's what it is.
Then we find out later that there was a change in Shooter's plans and this left #50 "out in the open" with noone to end the run. That's why Didio had to find someone else.
I am not defending Didio, FAR FAR FROM IT!!!

But Shooter's not innocent here either.

That's my problem.

#599246 06/26/11 11:40 PM
Ricardo Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active
Rot-flam-mow

You are at least mistaken with a fundamental item: the so-called giant sized final issue was pulled out by DC and he would have to wrap things up in 22 pages. So Shooter is definitely innocent in this case, because his run was ran over and over and over by DC. If you have any doubt that DC has a habit of pulling things over and over during Didio's tenure as EiC, read Mark Waid's or even Barry Kitson's nightmarish stories from what they wanted and what they got during their LSH run.

In the end of the line, whatever Geoff Johns wants, he gets (and that was before he became CCO).

#599247 06/27/11 03:59 PM
Candidate
Candidate
I wonder who Shooter intended to be the father of Projectra's baby. From what I gathered from the outline, he could've been Timber Wolf, Cosmic Boy, or Super Lad, with Element Lad being the dark horse candidate.

What was I thinking about?
#599248 06/29/11 11:45 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
wow. just... wow. what could have been!

Now if he'd written in Kinetix Kinetix instead of Mindbender it would have been perfect wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,256
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden