Roll Call
0 members (), 39 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/06/24 07:26 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 05:06 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:38 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tom Defalco writing Legion Lost
#600483 12/06/11 11:33 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Tom talking about LL. Starting to read it now...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/tom-defalco-legion-lost-111205.html

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#600484 12/06/11 11:42 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
He kept me reading for over 100 issues of Spider-Girl (which was one of the few comics I still read after dropping most comics). I think we should give him a chance.
Yeah, anything I've read by DeFalco in the last 10 years has been pretty good. It could be a case of him becoming a better writer as he got older, as sometimes happens.

I'm willing to give him a chance. It's unfair to judge his Legion work sight unseen. Judd Winnick has been proving me wrong for three months now and I'm thrilled to watch a writer grow and improve.

#600485 12/06/11 12:49 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by cleome45:
I don't think I've read DeFalco since his days on the Firestar mini.

shrug

Good or bad, I'd always hoped that this series was meant to be finite, because I don't want to see Legionnaires constantly traveling back to our time and using present day settings as a quaint playground. I want to see them in their own time, with more explorations of that future. That's what sets them apart from other super-teams. If I want to read books set in the present day, there's not exactly a shortage of them.
I agree completely, the 30th century universe is large enough to explore without using the same old tired plot device of being "stuck in the past" These stories ALWAYS come back to bite continuity in the ass.

#600486 12/06/11 12:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Read the interview.

Pros - He likes Gates (implying Gates is back).

Cons - He doesn't know the characters well and has sitcom comparisons for the direction of the book.

Neither of those cons are necessarily deal-breakers (fresh takes can be interesting and humour can work if used properly), but they do set off warning bells that things could go off the rails pretty easily.

#600487 12/06/11 02:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Given the Legion's history, especially the multiple reboots of the last years, I really don't think that anyone really knows these characters anymore.
Look at Tasmia and Paul should know her pretty well, but her she is, totally confused and trying to be more like the reboot and 3boot Tasmias.
So, we don't really recognize her at all.

And I love his idea of humor and character based heroism and positive stuff.
All of the dark hopelessness of comics in recent years has pretty much made me nausious.

I DO wonder why Fabian left.
I don't understand how other things suddenly needed his time more than LOST.

But, then, I couldn't understand how TPTB could just pull Phil away from the Legion Academy work he and Paul were doing.
frown

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#600488 12/06/11 04:32 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Not sure how I feel about DeFalco. I haven't read anything by him for years. I'll treat him as a wait and see.

My bigger worry is the talk about crossovers. I hate 'em. That could drive me from the book real fast!

Since the NuDC started the only books I'm getting anymore are LSH and LL. I hope un-needed crossovers don't drive me completely away.

#600489 12/06/11 07:35 PM
in hiding
in hiding
I agree completely, the 30th century universe is large enough to explore without using the same old tired plot device of being "stuck in the past" These stories ALWAYS come back to bite continuity in the ass.
Worse yet, they end up killing the entire series. (I'm thinking of the reboot in particular, which never recovered from a year's worth of having half the team stuck in the past.)

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
#600490 12/06/11 10:52 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I just don't get why so many writers feel the need to send some Legionaries back in time...almost exclusively to the 20-21st century. Its almost to the point of becoming as trite as the "create a misunderstanding between two good guys and have them fight, then team -up" plot. A professional writer can't find something interesting in the 31st century? You can make up an entire species create a new world???/ WTH?

#600491 12/07/11 06:11 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jdpinball:
I just don't get why so many writers feel the need to send some Legionaries back in time...almost exclusively to the 20-21st century. Its almost to the point of becoming as trite as the "create a misunderstanding between two good guys and have them fight, then team -up" plot. A professional writer can't find something interesting in the 31st century? You can make up an entire species create a new world???/ WTH?
Exploring some of the Legion's past but the future to us would be interesting. What was it like in Booster Gold's time, what caused the later world wars etc. But too much and it becomes a Rip Hunter book.

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#600492 12/07/11 07:01 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Originally posted by jdpinball:
[b] I just don't get why so many writers feel the need to send some Legionaries back in time...almost exclusively to the 20-21st century. Its almost to the point of becoming as trite as the "create a misunderstanding between two good guys and have them fight, then team -up" plot. A professional writer can't find something interesting in the 31st century? You can make up an entire species create a new world???/ WTH?
Exploring some of the Legion's past but the future to us would be interesting. What was it like in Booster Gold's time, what caused the later world wars etc. But too much and it becomes a Rip Hunter book. [/b]
I'd actually find that preferable. I'd much rather see the stay in the 21st century be relatively short, then have the Lost team try to get home and have the bubble fail, dropping them at random points in DCU history. It would at least be a way to fill in some gaps in the "new DCnU" backstory. Of course, I'd rather them all back in the 31st Century anyway, but if you had to have a "lost" scenario, I could be down with "lost in time".

#600493 12/07/11 07:41 AM
K
Active
Active
K
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
It would at least be a way to fill in some gaps in the "new DCnU" backstory.
This is a bad idea, for the same reason that having Green Lanterns or the Martian Manhunter show up in the 31st Century is often a bad idea--it sounds good but the trouble is that all the continuity you're using is controlled by other writers, Every time someone else decides to retcon things (or just to say that something is destroyed "forever" in a time period before the Legion meets them again) the Legion's own history gets rewritten. Sometimes multiple times as the other writers keep shifting between destroyed "forever" and back.

#600494 12/07/11 08:05 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
the Hermit:

I'm thinking of the reboot in particular, which never recovered from a year's worth of having half the team stuck in the past.
I actually thought that was pretty good. I didn't think the reboot lost steam until the Dark Circle story, which was meant to be some sort of grand epic but ended up as "meh." After that point, they did a bunch of un-memorable one-offs and bad pre-boot homages (did we really need a reboot version of the Bizarro Legion story?).

Ken Arromdee:

This is a bad idea, for the same reason that having Green Lanterns or the Martian Manhunter show up in the 31st Century is often a bad idea--it sounds good but the trouble is that all the continuity you're using is controlled by other writers, Every time someone else decides to retcon things (or just to say that something is destroyed "forever" in a time period before the Legion meets them again) the Legion's own history gets rewritten. Sometimes multiple times as the other writers keep shifting between destroyed "forever" and back.
That's a fair point, but still, why always the present time? why not the Civil War era? Or Medieval China? Or the Roman Empire? And, for that matter, why always Earth? There were a few occasions before the reboot where time travel dumped the Legion in further-past time periods, (and once, it was the past of Khundia) but none since then.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#600495 12/07/11 04:56 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by the Hermit:
Worse yet, they end up killing the entire series. (I'm thinking of the reboot in particular, which never recovered from a year's worth of having half the team stuck in the past.)
That's totally right. Back then, it tore the team in two and made both books worse than they already were. And now? Legion Lost is a strange book from the beginning. I seriously doubt that anybody not close to the Legion would read this book dealing with a hypertaxis threat - the book just does not ring the right bells.

I do not miss Wildfire and the others in the 30th century, I feel that the main hbook is really good right now. But I also feel that Dawnstar, Wildfire and tyroc, as much as I love them, cannot carry a book on their own. And Timber Wolf becoming the second Wolverine certainly does not help.

So about the new writer? I think he can't make things much worse. This ill-conceived concept is doomed anyway, so let someone else try to do his best. Sorry, but Niciezas first three issues do not make me feel that his going away is a great loss frown

#600496 12/07/11 10:34 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I don't see this going past issue 12 At lease when they get back to the 31st century Tyroc will have hair again and a better uniform. I hope Paul is working on a story to bring them home

#600497 12/07/11 11:44 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Chemical King: I seriously doubt that anybody not close to the Legion would read this book dealing with a hypertaxis threat - the book just does not ring the right bells.
If the DC reboot was tied into the Legion Lost concept, with the alien DNA plague having some tie in to the appearance of new superhumans (such as the relatively recent proliferation of super-teens, mentioned in Teen Titans), that could have been a huge help in tying the Legion to the DCU, without necessarily having the Legion made vulnerable to changes, in the way that it was after the 'no Superboy' mandate.

To my mind, the whole *point* of a massive DCU wide reboot like this would be to tie things together, clean things up and streamline the ship.

Instead of a great opportunity to tie things together, it seems like a ratings stunt to boost short-term sales, and that works great, for a quarter or two, and then a new 'gimmick' is required next season, when the shine has gone off.

I'm not sure I want yearly reboots to replace rare variant foil covers or yearly crossover 'events' as the sales gimmick-of-the-decade...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#600498 12/08/11 10:50 PM
in hiding
in hiding
Not to worry. By the end of the decade most comics will be digital-only anyway. frown

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
#600499 12/09/11 04:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, at least he identifies with Gates, so maybe we'll get some Gates-time.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#600500 12/10/11 08:14 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by the Hermit:
Not to worry. By the end of the decade most comics will be digital-only anyway. frown
Maybe it will take a little longer, though. Old guys like me just can't adapt to reading comic books on a screen. Even though some of the Digital comics out there like Freak Angels are pretty good, I just can't get into reading them on a screen - it's just not the same. And I definitely want no comic book collection that is in constant danger of being erased by some hard disc failure or some computer virus some 15year old nerd programmed to bugger the world
shake

#600501 12/10/11 11:37 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I don't really believe all comics will be digital--it makes no sense business wise. But the print selection may grow smaller.

Regardless, I dont do digital. Once a comic goes digital only, I'm out.

#600502 12/10/11 11:50 AM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
My biggest problem with digital is that they are the same price up front as print...all along the years since I have been in the hobby, we have been told that paper costs have been the driving factor for the price increases.

If they not in a print format...they should automatically be cheaper (no ink being used, no paper being used.) I feel the same about regular books as well. I understand a little for storage needs, but it can be nowhere near what printing costs are.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#600503 12/10/11 12:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I won't pay for digital comics... ever.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#600504 12/10/11 12:13 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
me either. <high five>!

#600505 12/10/11 03:11 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Totes agree, LLashie... My only experience with digital thus far is Warren Ellis' Freakangels, which is free to read online... I actually sampled it online and ended up paying for the six trade volumes. I refuse to PAY for something I don't physically *own*.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#600506 12/10/11 07:26 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by MLLASH classic:
I won't pay for digital comics... ever.
Amen, buddy! Preach it, Lash!

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#600507 12/10/11 07:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Besides, There's a lot of good FREE stuff already digital... *coughStarsearcherscough*

/end plug smile

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,172
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Lad Boy
Lad Boy
Washington DC