Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Legion of Super-Heroes #9 (Spoilers)
#600917 01/24/11 02:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So far in the retroboot, most of the Durlan's can only become winged, exaggerated forms of the orange form, that I can remember.

The two, other than Brande and Cham (and Chameleon Lord?) has been the one who copied Zendak and the one who copied Brande.

The planetary Durlans kept the winged/orange form only blue.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that maybe most of the Durlans can only change minimully.
In which case, why not just limit them to their original, wormy form?

Easier even is people like Brainy insult that form.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#600918 01/24/11 12:23 PM
G
Active
Active
G
They turned into birds in the same issue they replaced Zendak. I doubt that they are limited to minimal changes. And, if they are, it is just another retcon for the sake of a current story being more important than established history.

#600919 01/24/11 08:50 PM
The girl from the future
The girl from the future
Every month I'm enjoying the Legion books more and more, but every time I get to the end of an issue it feels like there were too many ideas jammed in. I don't know if it's just me, but I kinda wish that (a.) there was more book each month to spread those ideas out (I know larger books are not going to happen), or (b.) simplify it a bit more. Some pages and conversations feel rushed and hurried. Hang, maybe it's because I'm not used to Pauls writing.

I might live on the butt end of the world, but I get to see the days before anyone else.... mwaahahahahahaha

(I'm no good at evil laughing)
#600920 01/25/11 01:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Iam Legion:
They turned into birds in the same issue they replaced Zendak. I doubt that they are limited to minimal changes. And, if they are, it is just another retcon for the sake of a current story being more important than established history.
The birds is a good point.
But we knew that these Durlans, the assassins, were going to be able to change some, perhaps more than the rest of the species.

Is it history that ALL of the Durlans could shapeshift into any complex shape that they wanted to?

In this boot, we've been shown by Brande's version of how he progressed in his shapeshifting efforts.
He seemed to be very out of the ordinary with his abilities and drive.
Cham's changing into a similar shape when he was threatened to confirm that Brande was his eggfather seemed to confirm that the ability to reach that form was genetically related.

We also found out in the Robinson stories that the original Durlans of Supes time were basically in the orange/Cham form.
I don't recall them shapeshifting at that time but that may have been because they didn't need to.

Levitz has shown that in the retroboot, Durla is somewhat different than before.

LOTS of things are different from before, I guess.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#600921 01/25/11 12:39 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Originally posted by Set:
[b]

His strength, whatever it is, has never been his real power, IMO, it's his agility. He's the DC version of Spider-Man or Nightcrawler, fast and mobile, but not Flash-fast, just uncanny reaction speed fast and inhumanly acrobatic.

You probably already know this, but for those who don't, super-agility was originally Timber Wolf's ONLY power. He was the first character "fixed" during the silly-powers purge of the early '70s.[/b]
Are you sure about that? In his first appearance, Lone Wolf picks up a giant spotlight with one hand while swinging on a rope with the other to stop the out-of-control circus beast. Someone even comments that "He must have terrific strength to lift that spotlight so easily."

So I'm pretty sure he always had super-strength, just not at the Superboy/Mon El/Ultra Boy level. And strength alone would not have gained him entry, because it duplicated others' power. It was the agility that gave him a "unique" power for the purpose of joining.

#600922 01/25/11 12:50 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
You're right about him having strength as well as agility going back to his first appearance. However, there was no "duplication of powers" rule when he joined, so the "uniqueness" of agility really wouldn't have mattered.

#600923 01/25/11 02:10 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Candlelight:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iam Legion:
[qb]

We also found out in the Robinson stories that the original Durlans of Supes time were basically in the orange/Cham form.
I don't recall them shapeshifting at that time but that may have been because they didn't need to.

Levitz has shown that in the retroboot, Durla is somewhat different than before.

LOTS of things are different from before, I guess.
First of all, Paul is actively ignoring a few things from Johns' and Robinson's spin with the characters so I wouldn't place too much credence on the last issue of the New Krypton stuff (which Robinson couldn't even be bothered to write).

I'd also point out that in all boots Durlans have only been shown to be able to copy what they personally know, and given the hellhole that Durla still is, I don't think bio-diversity is one of their strong suits. That's why Cham was able to win the challenge back in #301, because he could take unfamilar shapes (like the hummingbird) and outdo even the best Durla-bound shifters.

#600924 01/25/11 02:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
In the past, that was true, but Brande turned into shapes he IMAGINED.
He did that for several panels, I think.
That was how he came up with the shape that he could fly off/escape Durla with.

And Paul hasn't really ignored what Robinson and Johns wrote, he's just worked around/with those issues if he wanted to, like the Lotharian telepaths being settled on Titan dying off.

Paul's changed things just to change them, as well.
He's said so, like no jet packs, etc..

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#600925 01/25/11 02:59 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
You're right about him having strength as well as agility going back to his first appearance. However, there was no "duplication of powers" rule when he joined, so the "uniqueness" of agility really wouldn't have mattered.
Brin was always 'strong,' but I always saw him as strong like Spider-Man or the Beast (from Marvel who could lift 10 tons or so), not anywhere near Superboy or Mon-El's level. His super-agility / super-acrobatics would make him a far more spectaular / visually impressive hand to hand fighter than Superboy or Mon-El, since they don't generally use their super-speed, unless the plot calls for it.

IIRC, 'super-agility' or 'super-acrobatics' was his official 'power' when he joined the Legion, but, like many Legionnaires, it was hardly all he could do (Blok's power was listed as super-density or something, clumsily giving him an excuse to be admitted, even though his powers were basically invulnerability and super-strength, the same as a half dozen other people).

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#600926 01/25/11 03:23 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Yeah, I definitely think the "almost-as-strong-as-Superboy" thing really began with the Cockrum portrayal. Beast is a pretty good comparison, imo.

#600927 01/26/11 09:31 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
[b]In Tepper's books on kids with various superpowers, the shapeshifters had to add to their mass by ingesting things, depending on what they shifted to, or release mass, which they tried to do out of sight.
Ugh.
Is that Sheri Tepper? Which of her books were about kids with superpowers? I haven't read anything of hers in quite awhile.[/b]
She wrote the True Games stories and the Mavin Manyshaped books, 6 in all, I think, unless she's added some that I don't know about.

The first 3 are about Peter, who's at a boarding type school in a middle ages type of world.
Powers manifest at puberty and no one knows what they'll get/become.
Single powers are the most rare and coveted because they're the strongest.

The more powers in the combination that is inhereted, gives then diversity but at the cost of weaker power levels and often less control.

Mavin has a single power, shapeshifting and is extraordinary in a very repressive culture.

I won't say more, but they're quite wonderful.

List:
King's Blood Four
Necromancer Nine
Wizard's Eleven
The Song of Mavin Manyshaped
The Flight of Mavin Manyshaped
The Search of Mavin Manyshaped

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#600928 01/26/11 06:49 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
The Coluans' confusion over the appearance of RJ Brande at the UP council proves that their politicians are as dumb as everyone elses!!

#600929 01/27/11 03:39 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Querl's the only 12th level.
And having a high IQ doesn't always mean you think on your feet or aren't easy to fool, imo.
smile

ML - I thought the Tepper books I listed weren't the whole series.
I remembered there were at least 3 more, about Jinian , Peter's girlfriend that he meets part way through his trilogy.

I think the first one is something like 'Jinian FootSeer'.
Mavin's stories tend to stand alone most of the time, Peter's and Jinian's books are mostly meshed.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#600930 01/27/11 05:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I found this a pretty ho-hum issue. The Durlan Assassin plot is well past its use-by-date as far as I'm concerned now. It started off well but has just spun it's wheels for about 3 issues now - and it's still not over. I definitely do not think this is a storyline anyone will remember fondly.

It also seriously bugs me that every Durlan we see change form (including Cham now) turns into a single-coloured creature (in this case - orange). They're not bloody Garfield Logan!

Brainy's attitude at the beginning with the Durlan welcome committe was over-the-top rude and pathetic IMO. Gah! How I want that character taken down a peg or five thousand!

Harmonia Li was about the only interesting thing about this issue. I hope that storyline goes somewhere more interesting than this Durlan one has.

I quite liked Troy and Brin's interactions too actually but Tyroc's costume is still one of the worst I've ever seen in this or any book. SO boring! And just SO doesn't look right on him. I'd love to get past this problem but I can't.

---

The Timber Wolf discussion upthread was interesting to me. Timber Wolf has always been the quintessential "just there" character on this team for me (neither particularly liked nor disliked) and I've never been able to pin down just what it is about him that leaves me so "meh". Especially when I've loved nearly all of his costumes, and costumes usually go a long way toward influencing my attitude toward a character.

I think the vague, redundant and boring powers are the big problem for me. Super-strength is the most boring power in all of comics IMO so that's a big minus (not that I remember many times when he's used it) and while I love super-agility on my favourite member of my favourite team to never receive their own series (Impala in the Global Guardians) it's just always seemed a little weird on Brin. Maybe because when I think of a Timber Wolf, I do not think of super-agility.

And the only other option with him is to go down the Wolverine-clone road. And that's equally as unappealing.

Timber Wolf needs some work IMO. It feels like forever since we've seen him take centre stage in a story (I've purged DnA's awful 'Brin against the Fatal Five' story from the reboot from my mind thank you very much. "Think fast. Think fast. Think fast..." Ugh!).

I'd actually be very open to seeing him take the spot-light for a good extended storyline that really sorts out his character and brings him back with some real purpose and sense of a definition of who he is as a character. If that means re-working him from the ground up then I'm all for it.

#600931 01/27/11 06:27 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Strangely, the thing that made me like Brin was his time as Furball - or more accurately, how he interacted with people after being Furball....gave me the sense of someone with lots of streetsmarts but not much in the way of booksmarts and the actual tragic backstory that someone should have whose Dad experimented on him and who was made to believe he was an android for a while.

I think transposing him to the 20th century (21st maybe?) was pretty inspired, because he was ahead of the curve technology-wise, but still not actually intellectually clever...

Timber Wolf is a much more fun character to write in fanfic than comics I would say...

#600932 01/27/11 03:54 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I like how Paul writes TW as relying on his instincts & senses rather than strategy.

#600933 01/27/11 03:57 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I actually though Waid's "too cool for school" version of TW was a pretty solid portrayal.

#600934 01/27/11 11:13 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Blacula:
(I've purged DnA's awful 'Brin against the Fatal Five' story from the reboot from my mind thank you very much. "Think fast. Think fast. Think fast..." Ugh!).
Oh God! I HAD purged that from my memory but then you just HAD to remind me, didn't you? 100 pushups for you, Mister!

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#600935 01/28/11 05:21 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My favorite, unfortunately I guess, version of Brin is the reboot wolf pack leader and protector of the pregnant Tinya.

I don't want him as an android trying to be human since that was done so spectacularly and memorably by Brent Spiner as Data on STNG.
Period.
There is nothing that can be added, imo.
At least, not in a comic.

I love his wolf identity because it DOES give him purpose and personality, if it's actually done correctly, as I think DnA did.

And actually, a wolf is VERY different from a wolverine, even if 'wolverine' means little wolf.

Wolves are group/teamwork animals. They're very pragmatic and thoughtful and protective, clever and loyal.
No claws, no over the top rage and no grudges.
I'm talking about the American Timber Wolf, here.

They have good senses, plan their attacks, withstand the cold, love their leaders and families and are territorial.

I too, liked the original version better after he was Furball. I really liked him better AS Furball.

Troy and Brin should make good partners, bouncing sound around, trianglating, messaging and etc. as long as Troy remembers about the upper level hearing issues that dog types have.

Brin would be good paired with Brek, too, as I think that wolves are better functioning in the colder areas than a lot of creatures.

Cham would avoid Brek, as his power tends to shut down cold bloodeds - which is why I don't understand the Legion not bringing Brek into fight the Durlans.
confused

Anyway, I know that many fans here don't like Brin being more like his namesake, but I do.
sigh

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#600936 01/28/11 08:40 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
The Wolverine is also known as the Gulo-gulo, Gulon, Glutton, Carcajou, Quickhatch, and Skunk Bear.

The Wolf is also known as Lobo, Lupus, Loup, Lykan, Amaruq (Inuit), Ukami (Japanese)

I can see a super-hero named Lykan or Amaruq, but Skunk Bear?

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
#600937 01/30/11 11:13 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I could see the current Wolverine as a skunk bear.
He smokes cigars, after all.

Lobo is taken, Lupus is a disease, Loup sounds like loop(y), doesn't it?
Lykan is rather generic and sounds like, well, like.

I like Amaruq and Ukami but they seem to be rather culture specific.
I wouldn't mind Brin's past being slightly reworked, like all of the Legionnaires, imo, to have him come from a more culture specific world.

The Inuits would be lovely.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#600938 01/31/11 07:42 PM
Substitute
Substitute
You know, I just want to say how much I like how Tyroc is being portrayed. I started reading the Legion back when Mike Grell was the artist, and Tyroc was the first new member I saw join. So, I've always wanted to see him really 'make it' as a member. Tweak his costume along with his powers and he'll be set.

I also liked his interaction with Timber Wolf, a character I've always been indifferent to, but who I'm liking more and more.

#600939 01/31/11 10:38 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I actually though Waid's "too cool for school" version of TW was a pretty solid portrayal.
That was my favorite take, of what I've seen. Also liked the cartoon version.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#600940 01/31/11 11:13 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
I loved DnA's TWolf & I'm lovin' Paul's current take.

#600941 02/01/11 12:28 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I enjoyed the issue, particularly the art work. It gave me the impression of a "set-up" issue preparing for the conclusion of the Durlan Assassin saga and jump into the Harmonia Li mystery, which is ok so long as the next issue or two gives resolution to some things.

Brainy/Cham and Brin/Tyroc were two more interesting team-ups (like Dream Girl/Colossal Boy last issue). I think Mr. Levitz has done a great job with mixing up the line-up.

I know we're only nine issues in, but there are still some Legionnaires who could use some real panel time in the near future:
Chameleon Girl, Quislet, Element Lad, Polar Boy, Gates, Invisible Kid, and Ultra Boy come to mind. I leave Shrinking Violet, Black Witch and Blok off the list because they look like they will be up next month in the Annual and Legion Academy stories. Star Boy looks like he'll be featured in LSH #11

I also applaud the break from not seeing Earth-Man for an issue. I would like to see some of the above heroes before another dose of him.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Neemers
Neemers
Oregon