Roll Call
1 members (rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1), 38 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:51 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/02/24 04:32 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 12:15 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:41 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: New R.E.B.E.L.S. Comic Discussion Thread.
#603859 09/25/09 02:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So many good books in the lower sales range. They need a new business paradigm, or something to support these at the level they're selling.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#603860 10/07/09 01:56 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I really want to like this and love the art but it's difficult to muster up much enthusiasm.

I'm finding it hard to keep track of who is actually in the team and what the point of it all is.

I've already forgotten what the Dominator and the Durlan want! Maybe it's time to read all the issues again. Or play some memory-improving games!

#603861 10/08/09 07:56 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm with Kanga. I like the idea of the book, and there have been a few great moments in the run so far. It's not wow-ing me right now. It still feels like it's building to something.

The art is also hit and miss. The medium shots and close ups are great, but anything from a distance looks less impressive.

Just spouting off.
#603862 10/12/09 08:53 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Re: Annual #1

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The humanoid body that is Starro was originally a young boy named "Cobi"! eek </span></span>

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#603863 10/13/09 01:14 PM
Active
Active
Not really sure about what I thought about the annual. I really debated buying it and kind of wish I hadn't. I almost would rather have not known the background info on the Starros, their mystery makes them all the more imposing.

The regular book is still pretty awesome imo. Definitely one of the best things DC is putting out right now.

Is that a moon?
#603864 10/18/09 03:52 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Just read number nine (a few days after the excellent annual, by the way): good story, good premise, good guest stars (?), use of continuity (best use of the 21 st DCU space maybe ever) and subplots (Dox Jr, the Omegans). Above average art.
I like this series and I'll follow this Star Conqueror storyline until it's tentatively thunderous end.

The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears that this is true.
#603865 10/19/09 05:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Re: Annual #1

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The humanoid body that is Starro was originally a young boy named "Cobi"! eek </span></span>
Love the 'eek'!
lol

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603866 10/21/09 09:25 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I thought the Annual was a good read and it surprised me by giving a much better origin story to the Molly Hatchet guy than I would've imagined. It explained his unique abilities and rise to power, while preserving the starfish creatures history intact (which I was really hoping for). I also enjoyed the background stories of two of his High Vanguard. They were compelling and well conceived. The artwork was enjoyable and the issue as a whole was a vital read in the current story line.

Issue #9 continues the build up as Dox acquires three more agents for his REBELS (how these guys are all going to get along seems to be Dox's biggest task), while the Omega Men begin their mission.

It's good stuff!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#603867 10/22/09 01:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'd like Storm Daughter to stay after the Starro storyline ends. She's a great character.

Cobie is an interesting character, too.

And as to #9, I feel so badly for Lyrl. How can Vril be so cold when he remembers his hurt from his own father acting the same way?
sad

We see GARV and ROCKY!
Rocky's cute in a butt ugly way!

I just hope that DC and Bedard don't see him as 'expendable fodder' for their clashing stories ~ Starro and Blackest Night.

We've already lost Stealth for no really good reason, when I would have enjoyed it so much more with Lobo being the casualty.

I hate Comet's current look.
He was major eye candy before and there's no mention of Mari'jn.
frown

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603868 10/24/09 09:17 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Candle:
I hate Comet's current look.
He was major eye candy before and there's no mention of Mari'jn.
frown
It's the kind of look/costume that few artists can draw effectively. Shane Davis did a fantastic job, but things have been hit and miss since then.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#603869 10/26/09 02:00 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I agree that Captain Comet's new hair do is ridiculous.

I want to like this series but the pacing is so slow!

Have we even got the final line up there? It doesn't seem very Legion-inspired to me.

They should take some tips from Aquaman as to how to defeat Starro. He got rid of him in five pages!!

Behold:

http://bottlecityofkanga.blogspot.com/2009/10/rebels-9-starro-saga-goes-onand-on.html

#603870 10/26/09 02:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Nice blog, BCK!

The group picture reminds me that there are no actual human type females in the REBELS, yet.

Wildfire's changed to energy, Silica was a machine and is now dead, as id Stealth, and Strata is, well, Strata.

I don't have any of my .LEGION books anymore, sob , but I was introduced (that I remember) to Captain Comet in .LEGION and I adored him.
I think Kitson was drawing him then.
But, Barry is wonderful with characterizations!

(Aquaman was so funny and sweet. That silly simplification is long gone from comics, I'm afraid. But it's our fault. We want scientific realism and complexity. We got it at the expense of quick pacing, among other things.)

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603871 10/26/09 02:55 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I don't think there's much scientific realism in the superhero comics I read, it's just all really drawn out!

But you're right, I didn't notice the lack of ladies on the team. It just seemed awash with randomly coloured aliens.

Hopefully the final team will look a bit different to what we've got this issue. But it will be 12 issues and the first arc won't be finished and we probably won't have the final line-up. Gah!!

#603872 10/26/09 07:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
My scientific comment came after just reading the last 'Planetary' which addressed your complaint, in a way.
smile

I don't think that .REBELS will really have a final line-up.
I don't think that it's structured for that really.

There might be a small 'core' group, like .REBELS had before, but a larger, permanent line-up probably won't occur until and if, Vril wins and takes back .LEGION.
So, try not to get too frustrated.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603873 10/29/09 03:44 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
OP Offline
Hi, there! Sorry that its been so long since I posted, but I've been quite busy with my new job in Ottawa--not to mention a funeral recently.

Anyway, I'm still loving REBELS, even if its not perfect. The art and characterization continue to be great, and there was finally a sense of an effective and reasonably large team coming together somewhat. Heck, I even liked the Omega Men this issue, which hasn't happened for me since the early days of their own book.

Small things in particular this time around that captured my fancy were the humorously put explanation of what REBELS actually stands for--something that wasn't done in-continuity the first time around, I believe (in fact, I don't think that they ever referred to themselves as the REBELS), and the Dominator admiral's way of coping with his adverse situation. Plus seeing Garv again was a real kick, too.

Anyway, the whole Starro plotline aside, I'm also looking forward to seeing Dox get his hands on a Black Lantern ring.

Cheers, and ciao for now! smile

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#603874 10/31/09 06:48 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L

Rocky's cute in a butt ugly way!

frown
LOL!

#603875 10/31/09 07:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Annual: Not about dotLegion really. Nice story for another title. Well set up, might have made a nice Star Wars story.

dotRebel 9: I'm on the too slow side. Too many players that are not dotLegion members and I've not found any of the interesting. $40 in and not a whole lot of story completed and the art style isn't something to keep me around.

Hemming and Hawing. Probably done with it but I'll read the threads to see if anything actually gets done. If not, I'll save money. If so then I'll pick up the issues off the rack.

#603876 11/03/09 03:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
R.E.B.E.L.S. is kind of like a road trip story. I enjoy the views of various planets, the little background bits (Tony Bedard should write the entire Encyclopedia Galactica!)
and the odd team. They do seem to be forming some bond as a team, not just against Starro, but as a defense against Vril's continuous insults.

Lyrl looks like he's about 16 or so. I wonder how easily his father could activate his super-intelligence - although I'd like to see Lyrl survive and thrive with his jungle skills.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#603877 11/04/09 12:06 AM
Active
Active
Nice blog, BCK!

The group picture reminds me that there are no actual human type females in the REBELS, yet.

Wildfire's changed to energy, Silica was a machine and is now dead, as id Stealth, and Strata is, well, Strata.

I don't have any of my .LEGION books anymore, sob , but I was introduced (that I remember) to Captain Comet in .LEGION and I adored him.
I think Kitson was drawing him then.
But, Barry is wonderful with characterizations!

(Aquaman was so funny and sweet. That silly simplification is long gone from comics, I'm afraid. But it's our fault. We want scientific realism and complexity. We got it at the expense of quick pacing, among other things.)
bite your tongue i am dieing for resolution where they have to go an amusement park and out wit the villain then laugh in there face as said villain goes 'i would have gotten away with it...'

&#12288; &#65295;l&#12289;
&#65438;&#65288;&#65439;&#65380; &#65377; &#65303;
&#12288;l&#12289;&#65438; ~&#12541;
&#12288;&#12376;&#12375;f_, )&#12494;

i do commissions
#603878 11/12/09 07:40 PM
OP Offline
At the risk of repeating myself, i take it as a very bad sign for th future of this book that nobody elsehas commented on the latest issue of REBELS yet.

From a plot and characterization perspective, the story was great, and the art was okay. This is fine with me, though--you can't have such detailed art be fantastic each and every issue, or we'd kill the artist(s).

Without going into detail, it was nice to see recap of the old versions of the LEGION and REBELS books, although it galls me that they didn't state whatLEGION actually stands for--but this is a minor quibble.

One thing in particular that especally appealled to me was the sense (as continued from last issue) that a large and effective team is coming together, even if the permanent core may ultimately not remain as large.

Needless to say, I can't wait for the next issue. Now, for those of you who like to "cheat", here are a few major spoilers:

***** SPOILERS! *****

***** SPOILERS! *****

***** SPOILERS! *****

***** SPOILERS! *****

***** SPOILERS! *****

***** SPOILERS! *****

***** SPOILERS! *****

***** SPOILERS! *****

***** SPOILERS! *****

1) As is already well known from preview blurbs, Stealth comes back--from the dead as a Black Lantern (Arghh! and double Arghh!);

2) Lyrl seems to more or less willingly join the Starro--which is again no real suprise if you think about it;

3) As is again also known from preview blurbs, Vril gets his hands on a Yellow Lantern ring (by actually joining the corps. yet--seemingly just in time to save his bacon; and

4) The Quislet inspired ship gets destroyed (this last one really floored and disappointed me, because I thought the design was really neat).

Oh, yeah, and one last thing that really tickled my fancy: Vril's expression of smug incredulity (sp?) that the Oan Guardian's give out their rings only to fearless individuals, since this goes against his own inclination to prefer only have people who are terrified of and therefore obedient to him. No wonder the Yellow Lantern ring was drawn to him: he quite naturally projects fear in many people. Speaking of which, has anybody else noticed that both our big, tough, and supposedly fearless - through cultural demand - Khund comrade, and our lethal Durlan friend frequently seem to have cowed or even fearful looks on their faces? Personally, I love this, because it is not only amusing but makes the characters less one dimensional. Just don't call them on this, though, because they'd kill you in a heartbeat if they knew that you know that they get scared of Dox and or the situations he gets them into (personally, I'd be an outright "basket case" of nerves if I was in their shoes--although I truly do respect Vril's ruthless logic and efficiency against my own wishes a great deal of the time).

Cheers!

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#603879 11/15/09 04:21 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Um... they did mention what "L.E.G.I.O.N" stands for--it's on the second caption of the second page:

We expanded our Liscenced Extra- Governmental Instertellar Operatives Network to over 80 client-worlds.
In any case, it's another great issue--R.E.B.E.L.S. is one of the best books in the general DCU--to the point where it's hard to say anything other than stuff happened, and it was awesome.

So yeah, stuff happened, and it was awesome. I loved the last two pages: "I thought you'd never ask". And while I really don't care at all about the "Blackest Night" event suddenly infecting perfectly good books, this one has handled it quite well so far.

#603880 11/15/09 05:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I have not read an issue of this incarnation of REBELS.

Picked this one up to get the ring...

I thought it was a good issue, and plan on picking up the conclusion next month. Good recap, as it let me know what I needed to in regards to understand the basics of what was happening.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#603881 11/15/09 08:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Pretty fantastic story telling, I'd say!

Malia is certainly beautiful and Vril looks wonderful in the black and yellow.
He's kept the silly pants but he doesn't look nearly so Gestapo now.

And if I were Starro, I'd be worried about Brainiac 3.
Lyrl returned to his 12th level intellect and teamed with a starro will find a way to take the guy's place, for sure!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#603882 11/20/09 08:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm glad I stuck it out this long because this was one fantastic issue.

I agree with you about B3 and he wasn't too dumb before having the mental chastity belt removed. Starro's about to have his mollusks handed to him.

I'm not into the GL color thing at all but Vril Dox with a power ring? Whoa! And I'm not concerned at all about Stealth's death, since she's been that before.

#603883 11/25/09 09:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Having seen Stealth during the time that she was giving birth to Lyrl, I'd have to agree that she's not easy to kill or to keep dead.

She's a little like shooting a Durlan in the head when his/her brain is in the middle of his/her body.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,077
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886