Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
Legion Of Super Heroes #1
#604402 05/19/10 06:42 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
This is it!!! Today is the day that Levitz makes his much awaited return as writer of our beloved "classic" team with issue #1.
It will be interesting to see if I feel as excited after reading it as I am just thinking about it in anticipation. I'm sure I won't be disappointed though.
Well, I'm off to camp out in front of my local comic shop.
I'll be back here with my thoughts on the reality of the first issue later.

Re: Legion Of Super Heroes #1
#604403 05/19/10 07:17 AM
Substitute
Substitute
DC's Source Blog has a preview.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/05/19/the-legion-of-super-heroes-returns/

I'm very excited to get this issue!

#604404 05/19/10 08:45 AM
Substitute
Substitute
i'm thrilled! can't wait!!! laugh

i just hope the usual nerds won't attack the book because of some possible anal continuity bulls**t. i already read on the net a lot of (aprioristic) complaints about this kind of stuff, which sounded two times unbelievable to me also because the book isn't out yet so what do you know?

i'm just happy the concept which made me fall in love with the book is back. i'm sure the stories will be fun, and that's all i care about smile

#604405 05/19/10 08:55 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:
i just hope the usual nerds won't attack the book because of some possible anal continuity bulls**t.
I grew to enjoy many elements of the Threeboot, particularly after Shooter got his hands on it, so, if the stories are halfway decent, I'll like it *despite* the 'possible anal continuity bullshit.' (Or, in this case, pretty much guaranteed anal continuity bullshit, since the new 'classic' team is already crazy inconsistent.)

I'll also take being called a nerd as a badge of pride, since I'm posting on a site devoted to fans of a comic book. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#604406 05/19/10 09:05 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:
i just hope the usual nerds won't attack the book because of some possible anal continuity bulls**t.
Because people have different opinions than you is not a reason to attack or demean them. It's hard to take your opinion seriously when you resort to such tactics.

As for the book, I've been looking forward to reading this for a long time. At the risk of sounding "anal" - I like how Paul even has the prison be in the Arctic just like LSH vol.2 #11. Plus, a nod to the reboot with the introduction of this Universe's Aven.

#604407 05/19/10 09:27 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I was wondering where I'd seen the name Dr. Aven before. Wasn't he the dude from the Titans / Legion crossover with Universo and Brother Blood?

#604408 05/19/10 09:55 AM
S
Active
Active
S
I do not remember the Titans/Legion crossover too well but was Aven not Saturn Girls mentor throughout the ReBoot?

#604409 05/19/10 10:00 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Because people have different opinions than you is not a reason to attack or demean them. It's hard to take your opinion seriously when you resort to such tactics.
whoa, there's really no need to be that bitter. i don't want to insult anybody, lest of all the lovely people on this board: of course people are entitled to have their own opinion, and i respect that. still, aprioristic opinions are just mere prejudice, so not so worthy of respect after all, and that's all i was talking about.

these last few weeks, i read all over the internet all sorts of complaints about the new legion book, mostly because of continuity stuff these people had just made up, which was just odd since as a matter of fact the book still had to come out.
the fact people have the right to think what they want doesn't mean they can use this freedom to throw sh*t towards something they can't possibly know, just because. that's really childish and silly and i can't take seriously the opinion of people who resort to such tactics.

I'll also take being called a nerd as a badge of pride, since I'm posting on a site devoted to fans of a comic book.
good for you smile i wish i was that zen about that.
as a poster on a site devoted to fans of a comic book, i prefer being called a comic book fan.

#604410 05/19/10 12:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Er...why did you attribute me to that quote?

I prefer to be called a comic book fan as well, thank you very much. I also don't like being characterized as bitter. You're basing a lot of characterizations and accusations on very little info yourself. You seem to be arguing against behavior that you, yourself are contributing.

I haven't read one complaint about this series. I have read complaints about the continuity that this series is being built upon. All of those complaints were based on the comics that were already published, so again I'm unsure of where these "aprioristic opinions" you speak of are coming from.

#604411 05/19/10 01:50 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Just read the new LSH #1. Sans spoilers, I'll just say that while I may be of the camp that doesn't completely buy that this group is the exact same LSH that existed up til Levitz/Giffen's LSH 63, Levitz writing them smooths over most of that gripe. A lot happens in this first issue, and although I may not love all of it, it's a great start and I'm excited to be reading Levitz's LSH again...

#604412 05/19/10 01:58 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just finished reading this and I must say I was fairly pleased with the effort.

I particularly enjoyed Paul's comments on the Legion's convoluted history and how he's going to treat it.

Not sure yet whether this is a cozy, old, favorite shirt or a brand new, retro one but I did like the fit either way. Seemed comfortable to me.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#604413 05/19/10 02:00 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I thought this was a very strong first issue. My only complaint is that although I generally liked the way Brainy was portrayed, he didn't seem especially heroic. But that's a minor point.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#604414 05/19/10 02:19 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I may be a lone voice here, but to be honest, I didn't care much for this first issue. The biggest complaint that I have is regarding Earth Man. I just don't think that making a murderer and criminal into a hero is a good thing. I believe it sets a very low moral standard and I just can't buy into it. So...unless something happens within the next few issues to make me change my mind, I won't be buying this book.

#604415 05/19/10 02:42 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I thought there was a perfectly logical explanation for why Earth-Man has to join the Legion. I was initially rather skeptical about this plot development, but I thought Paul set it up very well. There's a powerful xenophobic faction within Earthgov, they want Earth-Man to be a Legionnaire, and the Legion has to appease Earthgov because they want to remain on Earth. I'd have appreciated an explanation of why leaving Earth is not an option, but there are several obvious reasons, beginning with the fact that Earth was Superman's home.

Furthermore, I think it makes sense that the Legion should be trying to rehabilitate Earth-Man, given that he's the polar opposite of everything they stand for. If they can reform him, it will be a significant moral victory.

#604416 05/19/10 02:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
FINALLY!

So, they do indeed still have Graym and Garridan, and all this time the two have been with Garth's family on Winath, until Imra thought it'd be nice for the two to see Titan.

Was that so hard, Johns?! Two years for a single frickin thought box?!

#604417 05/19/10 03:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I am extremely pleased with the story so far. What a terrific first issue!

It reminded me of the first issue of the Super-Villains arc that Paul and Keith did to start off the Baxter series.

And the art was mostly beautiful!

Touch the magic...
#604418 05/19/10 04:32 PM
Active
Active
i enjoyed it for the most part...although my campaigning for bringing back Rond might have taken a blow, i did like how he was brought up

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#604419 05/19/10 04:51 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Er...why did you attribute me to that quote?
by mistake wink sorry!

I also don't like being characterized as bitter. You're basing a lot of characterizations and accusations on very little info yourself. You seem to be arguing against behavior that you, yourself are contributing.
from these last few posts, it seems to me like you read too much into my messages. i didn't say you are a bitter person - i don't know you! - , just that in my opinion you replied to me in a bitter way. am i not entitled to have an opinion? you yourself even said, and rightly so, that everyone should be free to have theirs, and that because of that i shouldn't have criticized them: now you seem to be arguing against behavior that you, yourself are contributing wink

I haven't read one complaint about this series. I have read complaints about the continuity that this series is being built upon. All of those complaints were based on the comics that were already published, so again I'm unsure of where these "aprioristic opinions" you speak of are coming from.
i didn't follow the topics you're referring to, or at least i don't remember them, so i don't know about what has been said here about the continuity that this series is being built upon.
i was talking in general about complaints i read in other sites and message boards. i don't think it would be fair to name names since i guess the actual users i was referring to don't post here as well, but i have read several of them (wish i hadn't!).
anyway, for example, i remember a guy saying something like the new book was going to start with the wrong foot cause DC didn't already address if in the new continuity imra and garth had children or not. of course a comment like this one is based on the comics that were already published, but come on, it's also aprioristic.

man, really, i'm not trying to be rude here. just saying what i think. let's be cool.

btw, i read issue 1 and i enjoyed it. can't wait to see how the story goes on. didn't expect the surprise ending. the art was very good, i especially liked how the artist

#604420 05/19/10 04:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I READ IT.

I've got a lot of stuff I could say but THIS is what I HAVE to get off my chest...

Not 1 panel of Tenz, and the 1 panel Lu and Chuck do appear in places them quite definitely at the LSH Academy.

Everything old is... old again. All the fun stuff done with those 3 in the years after Levitz left the first time might as well never have happened. All 3 of 'em are going to be swept under the LSH rug again, coming out once every anniversary issue for a group pic.

I almost wish The Bierbaums had never made Lu and Tenz so awesome... that the reboot had not continued Lu's upward climb... that the cartoon had never made all 3 of 'em so fun. I freakin' wish none of it had ever happened. frown

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#604421 05/19/10 05:26 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
For most of the while I was reading it, I was thinking "a promising start." But then...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">I knew there was going to be a Green Lantern, and I had no problem with that, because I know that comics are a business and that Green Lantern equals $$$$$$$. But to have EARTH MAN be the Green Lantern? That just feels so wrong. Levitz obviously wants to redeem that creep, but this is too much too soon.</span></span>

The Legionnaires' characterizations feel a bit "off" to me, especially Querl and Imra, but that's understandable considering that it's been more than 20 years since Levitz last wrote them.

As for...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">...the destruction of Titan, even if it hadn't been spoiled by the internet, it was still telegraphed in a very clumsy fashion.</span></span>

I'm willing to be patient with Levitz. I'll go so far as to give him a FULL YEAR to get back in stride, something I rarely do.

And for what it's worth, I'm glad that Duplicate Damsel has long hair. I hated the short hair that most of her various incarnations have had over the past 20 plus years.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#604422 05/19/10 05:49 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
There will be a certain delicious irony if they do manage to at least partially redeem Earth-Man, since Superman made such a big deal about redeeming Superboy-Prime during Lo3W, only for that to fail.

From a certain standpoint, getting one or more of the 'Justice League of Earth' saddled up and on-board with a multicultural earth would take some of the steam out of the recent 'Earth as Nazi Germany, complete with shiny red armbands and goose-stepping racists' movement currently in vogue on Earth (although I would have much preferred Spider-Girl in that role!). With their icon of hate working alongside aliens, perhaps the movement will fall apart all the faster (or blow itself up trying to kill him for 'betraying their ideals'), and we can get back to stories about the future.

I actually kind of like who they chose for the ring. It won't mess with any established Legion characterization, so it's the best choice.

Of course, I get this from spoilers, since my state has two comic stores, owned by the same guy, who gets his comics by driving down to Diamond Distributors in Mass on Wednesday nights. I won't see it until he puts them up on the shelves sometime Thursday afternoon. I love 'Cow Hampshire,' but sometimes I wish the state was a little less rural!

#604423 05/19/10 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Set:
From a certain standpoint, getting one or more of the 'Justice League of Earth' saddled up and on-board with a multicultural earth would take some of the steam out of the recent 'Earth as Nazi Germany, complete with shiny red armbands and goose-stepping racists' movement currently in vogue on Earth (although I would have much preferred Spider-Girl in that role!). With their icon of hate working alongside aliens, perhaps the movement will fall apart all the faster (or blow itself up trying to kill him for 'betraying their ideals'), and we can get back to stories about the future.
Good point.

And I, too, would have preferred Spider-Girl.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#604424 05/19/10 05:58 PM
S
Active
Active
S
Of course, I get this from spoilers, since my state has two comic stores, owned by the same guy, who gets his comics by driving down to Diamond Distributors in Mass on Wednesday nights. I won't see it until he puts them up on the shelves sometime Thursday afternoon. I love 'Cow Hampshire,' but sometimes I wish the state was a little less rural!
During the brief period that I lived in New Hampshire, I used to go to the Funny Book Factory in Lebanon, and they always had new comic books on Wednesdays. Is that store not there anymore? Or is it one of the two that you're referring to?

#604425 05/19/10 06:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I assume anyone reading this far has read #1, but just in case...

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">It was decent. a good first issue. The Earth Man stuff kinda made sense politically, but I wasn't wild about it. Nor the (yet again) GL presence (but we knew that as soon as the cover was promo'd).

Art-wise, I particularly like the renditions of Imra, and her doings on Titan. The colorist seemed a little overboard in some of the action scenes, to the detriment of the other art.

I like Brainy a bit disconnected from the others (just as we would be in a society of chimps), but not to the point of arrogant Threeboot Brainy. Levitz found a good level for him. Yes, it's different than prior Levitz Brainy, but it worked.

I'd still rather see the 70s/80s orange tower than *yet another* upside-down-rocket incarnation (yawn. as if every Legion since SW6 hasn't gone that route). But that was already done before the new book, so I'll forgive them.

The destruction of Titan was telegraphed, yes. Destroying planets seems to be a trope anymore, but it wasn't too shabby in the grand scheme of things.

Good to see Gigi. Now where's Shvaugn?
</span></span>

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#604426 05/19/10 06:05 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I actually kind of like who they chose for the ring. It won't mess with any established Legion characterization, so it's the best choice.
It beats having two annoying new characters on the team!

So, nothing I've read so far really convinces me that I need to run out and buy this.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden