Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Re: Legion Of Super Heroes #1
#604427 05/19/10 06:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wait, I thought it was spelled Shvaughn.

#604428 05/19/10 07:38 PM
Active
Active
Eh, I honestly was a bit disappointed in this. I'm still going to buy it since it's legion and it's not bad, but I think if I was a new reader this wouldn't draw me in. It certainly didn't have the energy that most of my Legion collection seems to have. Can't put my finger on it, but the book just seemed to lack the energy that most Legion stories have (and that's not because there wasn't stuff happening, there was, I just didn't care or something).

also, don't like the setup Johns left Levitz with. It just seemed to drag the story down, too much having to explain it rather than just tell the story. In the past it seemed bits about what Earthgov was doing and all that would be woven into the universe over time, now we have to be told it because it is soooo important to what is going on in the story.

Also, not feeling Earth Man at all, don't want to read about him at all so the panels with him really felt flat.

There was a couple other things, minor things that just made it feel like this book wasn't firing on all cylinders.

As for the art, it was ok. Hope it improves as I believe there is room for improvement, but it didn't detract from the story so that is something. can't really point to any deficiencies (although some of the Legionnaires had sever baby faces at one or two places) but the art doesn't grab me, yet.

So in the end I'm disappointed, I saved this issue for last in my reading pile so I could savor every second, and in the end it seemed a bit bland.

here's hoping things turn around quickly because I will buy a book out of loyalty for only so long, even a Legion book.

Long Live the Legion!
#604429 05/19/10 07:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I rather enjoyed it. Not the best thing I've ever read...but a lot of good beats throughout. Liked that Jo had some lines.

Earth Man is annoying, but I've found other Legionnaires in the past annoying for different reasons as well...I'm willing to trust Paul until he abuses that privelige.

Good characterization with Imra this time around. Brainy...I like this new version of him. It would make soooo much sense for him to not make sense, as he's thinking about other things by the time the words hit his mouth...his speach should be a bit disjointed as it was here.

Glad that the Legion is back (or at least as close as we're gonna get.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#604430 05/19/10 08:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think people are jumping to conclusions about Earth-Man. Nowhere does it say he's going to be redeemed, or that the Legion is going to try. They have him forced upon them and just want to contain him and keep him under their thumb so he doesn't do more damage. He's still a villain, and now he's one with a GL ring.

#604431 05/19/10 08:02 PM
Leader
Leader
Quite a mixed bag of reactions. I was pleasantly surprised with both story and art.

Minor quibbles:

Destroying a Legionnaire's planet seems to be the new "who will die on the super team's maiden voyage?"

Why would the Oan thingy choose Earthman? Aren't Green Lanterns chosen for their moral character? And wasn't the Green Lantern Corps an interstellar organization even more racially diverse than the LSH? Maybe this will be explained.

Cosmic Boy says "if we can make a public example that Earthers can work with offworlders it'll help make peace stick." Um. Sun Boy is sitting right next to him. So is Colossal Boy. And Invisible Kid's around here somewhere . . . And Bouncing Boy's right over there . . .

Brainy looks a little too maniacal in some panels.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#604432 05/19/10 08:22 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Quite a mixed bag of reactions. I was pleasantly surprised with both story and art.

Minor quibbles:
Cosmic Boy says "if we can make a public example that Earthers can work with offworlders it'll help make peace stick." Um. Sun Boy is sitting right next to him. So is Colossal Boy. And Invisible Kid's around here somewhere . . . And Bouncing Boy's right over there . . .
I don't think this was an error - I think "Earther" is a term for a xenophobic Earth-firster - like a "Birther," maybe?

#604433 05/19/10 08:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I too wondered about the look in Brainy's eye. I wonder if it means a return to insanity in the future?

Touch the magic...
#604434 05/19/10 08:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/notes/matt-crider/legion-of-super-heroes-1-my-review/10150194722885188

Link to my review...

Touch the magic...
#604435 05/19/10 08:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I actually loved it. For the first time in a long time, it felt like I was reading an "Original" Legion story with all the wonderful "Easter Eggs" that were scattered about.

Even the parts where Brainiac 5 seemed to be out of character felt like there was a story reason for it and not like a lazy writer not "getting" the characters.

Gigi!

I also liked how Paul actually read and carried on the Adventure Comics short stories.

Lash, based on that fact alone, I wouldn't worry too much about Chuck and Lu's roles in the series. I don't see why they can't be involved in the Academy and be active Legionnaires.

#604436 05/19/10 08:47 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
During the brief period that I lived in New Hampshire, I used to go to the Funny Book Factory in Lebanon, and they always had new comic books on Wednesdays. Is that store not there anymore? Or is it one of the two that you're referring to?
Yanno, I've *heard* of Lebanon, but that's way, way north of me, I think! (Just looked it up, not as north as I thought, more Vermont-wards...) The only two I know of within an hour of me are in Nashua and Manchester, and both don't get comics until 4 PM Thursday ish.

Now I want to read Mattropolis' review, but I can't get onto FaceBook! Argh!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#604437 05/19/10 08:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Now that my initial frustration with # 1 has been let out...

I am sure a lot of questions raised in # 1 will be answered as the storyline progresses.

I liked that Aven was (re)introduced.

I too felt Brainy looked a little "crazy" this issue and didn't really care for it.

I DO predict a noticeable monthly improvement in Cinar's art; this is pretty much a new-LSH artist truism... the covers themselves are growing more and more gorgeous.

My biggest complaint remains that with this oversized issue I wish we had seen MORE Legionnaires. The cast felt... too small.

re: Earth Man... I thought Geoff Johns bringing the former Absorbancy Boy back was a fantastic idea... this storyline is actually a first for the LSH... a rejected applicant FORCIBLY placed on the team... props to Paul Levitz for that idea. I'm willing to wait and see how this plays out.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#604438 05/19/10 08:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
And lash, since none of the Legionnaires from the 20th century are there, we may be seeing more of Tenz than you think...

Touch the magic...
#604439 05/19/10 08:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
You are right, Matt. My initial reaction and first post about the issue was a borderline off-the-cuff crybaby tantrum.

I have since taken a deep breath. laugh

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#604440 05/19/10 08:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I know, I had the same feeling about Thom, Jeckie and Nura...

Touch the magic...
#604441 05/19/10 09:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Did anyone else notice who was missing from the Hall of the Dead? I wonder if it means anything?</span></span>

Touch the magic...
#604442 05/19/10 09:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I *did* notice that. Hmmmm...

#604443 05/19/10 09:05 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Jeepers, Matt! Don't put a spoiler tag and then tease under it! Spoil!

#604444 05/19/10 09:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Chemical King was not there... nor was Magnetic Kid, but Ferro Lad, Invisible Kid and Karate kid were </span></span>

Touch the magic...
#604445 05/19/10 09:11 PM
Active
Active
I was pleased to find that after 20 years, Levitz still felt like Levitz. I didn't feel the same way about Shooter. The story-telling here had a lovely, familiar vibe to it.

I do think Brainy was over the top in character and in the way he was drawn. I think it shows just how influential the Vril Dox syndrome is. All iterations of B-5 after that have had at least a slight V. Dox feel to them.

Mllash, I too think that to not use a newly powered up Lu on a regular basis would be a shame. Six fingers crossed on that one.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#604446 05/19/10 09:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh, I forgot to mention!

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">This spoiler space for rent. wink </span></span>

And... was it me, or was the Time Institute exterior missing a T in its Interlac?

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#604447 05/19/10 09:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sorry guys I forgot that not everyone has Facebook, here is my review with spoilers.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">My history with the Legion of Super-Heroes goes WAY back. It was one of the first comics I ever got - and for some reason I identified with it more than any other, except maybe for the West Coast Avengers.

Over the years, the Legion has gone through many permutations, some good, some not so much. But over the last couple years, the Legion that I loved has returned. And now. they have their own title again, as written by Paul Levitz.

Today the first issue came out, and it is certainly a very good start.

The story begins with Earth Man, former Legion applicant who basically was rejected, turned evil and eventually turned the world against the Legion. He is a prisoner and is being depowered, in what looks to be almost torture.

Then we move to Saturn Girl, who is on Titan. For the first time, I think, ever, I do NOT despise her for being a panel hog. Something else else about the way she is presented, while speaking with her old mentor, Doctor Aven, endeared her to me in a way that has NEVER happened before. Not only is she characterized well, but she looks great as well.

We return to Earth where Cosmis Boy and Ultra Boy show up at Science Police Headquarters, they are not happy with something that is being asked of them. Earthgov is asking them to take on a new member in order to keep Legion HQ on Earth. Earth will then allow the Time Institute to move to another planet (Titan). We do find out here that Gigi Cusamano, a great supporting character from the past, is now the Chief of the Science Police, in a logical progression.

We move to the Time Institute, where they are preparing a central veiwing area, where they will now be able to view history from a safe distance. Harmonia, one of the people at the institute takes on the Dream Girl role with her feelings of imminent disaster.

We return to Saturn Girl, who I am still amazed that I actually like in this (in my fanfic that I wrote years ago, I killed her off so as not to have to even deal with her), shows emotion about the absence of her husband Lightning Lad, who has left Saturn Girl and their twin sons on what Imra thinks is a ridiculous quest.

Back at Legion HQ, now regressed to once again being an upside down space ship, the rest of the Legion (well, the few that are present) reacts to the fact that they have to take Earth Man as a Legionnaire. They are decidedly not happy. Brainiac 5 is especially unhappy and storms off, trying to figure out a way to keep Earth Man in check, giving him a "very special" Legion Flight ring. As he walks away, Phantom Girl tries to calm him down. Very interesting is that they are walking by statues of dead Legionnaires. I am more interested in who is missing, than who is shown. Why is there no Chemical King statue???

Back at the Time Institute, our scientists decide that they want to look back and view the creation of the Universe. Uh-oh. Regular readers of ANY DC comic know this is a bad, bad idea...

The Legionnaires officially ask Earth Man to join the, as they ooze with hostility.

Back to the Time Institute, where a HUGE explosion occurs seemingly because of their hubris. The explosion is even felt on OA.Sodam Yat, the last Green Lantern, is aware that whatever has happened on Titan, will unleash a great evil. And something strange is happening on Oa's surface.

Saturn Girl sees the destruction on Titan and calls in for help then rushes off to find her sons.

A little green Guardian (?) named Dyogene appears to Sodam yat and takes his ring.

back to the Legionnaires who are speeding toward Titan, where they realize they will not be able to evacuate the entire planet in time.

Saturn Girl reaches her boys in order to see them mysteriously vanish! Were they killed or did someone snatch them?

Dyogene arrived where Earth Man is. EM is trying to decide whether to accept Legion membership.

Imra arrives at the Time Institute, where Harmonia and Saturn Girl meet. Saturn Girl asks for help in finding her sons.

The Legion has arrived on Titan, trying to help evacuate as many as possible. Brainiac 5 goes to the Time Institute where Saturn Girl takes off in a time sphere, leaving Harmonia to explain to B5 where she is going and why.

The Legion is unable to save everyone and are taking those they could save to Earth. I wonder how Earthgov will feel about that? Saturn Girl can feel the death of Titan even as she takes the Time Sphere in search of her sons.

We see various reactions to Titan's death cry.

Dyogene offers Earth Man yet another ring, this time a Green Lantern ring.

WOW! A lot happened! There was a lot that I loved about it and I wish there were more room. The Legion has a huge cast and all of the Legionnaires that were in the 20th century are apparently still there. Hopefully, we will see them soon, as I miss the large contingent of Legionnaires that SHOULD have been there to help save Titan. The bigger the cast to juggle, the better.

Questions:

Why isn't Chemical King in the hall of dead legionnaires?
Karate Kid IS there, validating one of his deaths, but which one?
Bouncing Boy and Duplicate Damsel are back to the Academy?
Why is Earth Man the most viable candidate for a GL ring?
Who is that with Polar Boy?

It's a good sign that I want to know more.

I know a lot has been said about the destruction of a Legionnaire's homeworld, and as predicted, it was Titan. I am not as upset about this as some are, but it did do one thing that NO ONE (even Levitz in the past) has been able to do and that is make me like, and I mean REALLY LIKE, Saturn Girl.

WOOHOO. MY Legion is BACK </span></span>

Touch the magic...
#604448 05/19/10 09:24 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Mattropolis:
<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Chemical King was not there... nor was Magnetic Kid, but Ferro Lad, Invisible Kid and Karate kid were </span></span>
While the team already is way, way overstaffed, I'd pay real money to see Chemical King back.

Magnetic Kid? Not so much.

#604449 05/19/10 09:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
OOoh, Matt brings up a fun point!!!

I kinda like that Polar Boy is now <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">apparently a stud-muffin!!!</span></span>

#604450 05/19/10 09:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wow, a whole heck of lot of plot threads - both continued from John's departure, and newly introduced. I know I shouldn't have expected any less from a Levitz tale, but I had just gotten so used to a near glacial pacing in most comics these days that reading a story where things actually happen was just so refreshing.

That being said, perhaps a little more breathing room wouldn't have been out of place. I know it's a first issue, but there were a couple of points where I had to stop and say, "Wait a minute... wasn't Saturn Girl just at place 'A' a panel ago and now she's at place 'B'? Wasn't she just going after her kids and now she's pausing to aid with the evacuation?" It almost felt like some pages were out of order or something.

On the artwork front, I have no complaints. I had never heard of Cinar but, right out of the gate, he seems like a great fit. I'm totally digging his slight revamp of Dirk's duds to bring them more in line with the rest of the team.

One very random thing that jumped out at me... Brek... in bed... with a lady. Is this the first time we've seen any sort of romantic leaning for him... ever? And more to the point, regardless of who he's in bed with, why would anyone ever sleep under a blanket on Tharr? smile

Very nice afterword by Levitz. So... he lurks on messageboards, does he? hmmm

#604451 05/19/10 09:29 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
So ****ing awesome to have an actual Legion comic to talk about, after the year we've had, that's for darn sure!

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden