Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Re: Legion Of Super Heroes #1
#604477 05/20/10 01:19 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I kinda love that the last Legion review at CBR was #50, which got *half a star.*

Heh.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#604478 05/20/10 03:13 AM
Active
Active
its like a high school reunion with your best friends that you havent seen in a long long long time smile long live (this) legion!!

Bring back the super-cousins
#604479 05/20/10 03:33 AM
Honorary
Honorary
I liked the issue, I am interested in Earth-Man because it is 2 things I really like 1. Green Lantern 2. Stories of Redemption/Villains becoming Heroes I love those kinds of stories so I am excited for what is too come. I found it really intriguing and hope to see more of the characters that I like: Lightning Lad, Wildfire, Polar Boy, and Timberwolf but I'll get used to it. This is the first time I'm buying the monthly of Legion and I'm excited for it.

"There is always a solution to every Obstacle."-Karate Kid
#604480 05/20/10 05:35 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to this....that preview, even with only a few pages, has really whet my appetite.

Earth-Man I could care less about as a character, but I trust that Levitz will tell a good story with him.. smile

#604481 05/20/10 05:57 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Haggard Lad:
My guess is that Kirt's allies view them as race traitors and people like Earth Man as true Earthers. As the icon of the xenophobic movement, Earth Man might just make a good public example like Cos said.
By that reasoning, wouldn't the xenophobes just view Earthman as a race traitor if he agreed to work with the aliens in the LSH?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#604482 05/20/10 06:04 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Candle:

I agree that Imra having TK powers would be a natural progression and I'm thrilled for her.
She needed something to take her out of the boring telepath non-action heroine.
Levitz can be much more active with her in TK/TP mode.

I hope he does similar things with others.
It's only natural that their powers would mature with them and we've seen similar things before.

For example: Vi went from getting mouse size (moset Adventure stories) to being able to go microscopic (or smaller) during the GDS.
smile
I agree that TK is a natural progression of Imra's powers, but I object to her just suddenly having them with no explanation. I also agree with Lash that it renders Tellus redundant. And Imra has always been in the center of the action. She's probably the most over-featured member ever with the possible exception of Superboy.

I also objected to Duo Damsel's power suddenly increasing with no explanation, but at least it was mentioned.

And Shrinking Violet's been going sub-microscopic since Adv. days. Adv. 350, 363, and 372 to name a few off the top of my head. Also in an early S/LSH, #202.

#604483 05/20/10 06:09 AM
Leader
Leader
I also get the feeling that Paul's going to use his "the chronicles have been inaccurate" spiel to just magically sweep away any and all inconsistencies, which kind of irks me. Ignoring the old rockets the Legionnaires used to wear is one thing, but giving a central character a new power is another matter. IMHO, of course.

#604484 05/20/10 06:28 AM
Active
Active
Already I have read the first number and I must say...It's wondeful!
Though I had liked to see to Shadow Lass, Timber Wolf, Wildfire, Mon-El, Lightining Lass, Violet, Invisible Kid, Chamaleon Girl, Night Girl, Gates and XS.
I have liked the new characters especially : Harmonia Li.
And to the end they gave to Saturn Girl telekinetic powers.
Always I thought that she should not be less than Jean Gray.
I hope that the power of the girls increase like in Thora's episode (Like Duplicate Damsel)
I do not believe that the girl in the bed with Brekk is Lydda, she must be another girl, or at least I wait for it.
I like much the couple Rokk - Lydda.
And does nobody remember that Dream Girl should be rescued for Superboy and Mon-El in the 21th Century?
Good luck with this new run.
And my personal wishes : Spider Gilr, Andromeda and Veilmist in this Legion.

From UK with glamour.
#604485 05/20/10 07:32 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
One thing I liked that no one's mentioned is that most of the "paired off" Legionnaires didn't appear with their significant other tied to their backside.

Gim didn't have Yera standing on his shoulder, Wildfire wasn't tagging along with Dawny, and Jo and Tinya weren't side by side.

Makes you think these may actually be individual characters or something.

#604486 05/20/10 07:36 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Originally posted by Haggard Lad:
[b] My guess is that Kirt's allies view them as race traitors and people like Earth Man as true Earthers. As the icon of the xenophobic movement, Earth Man might just make a good public example like Cos said.
By that reasoning, wouldn't the xenophobes just view Earthman as a race traitor if he agreed to work with the aliens in the LSH? [/b]
That's certainly possible too, and actually would be interesting to see Earth Man's reaction to suddenly being shunned as a race traitor.

#604487 05/20/10 07:45 AM
K
Active
Active
K
Other people on the net have already noticed that the first issue in which Saturn Girl uses telekinesis is Adventure Comics #267, when making a kryptonite cage. Really, look it up. Although the cartoon is more likely as a source of influence.

#604488 05/20/10 08:41 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Candle:
[b]

I agree that Imra having TK powers would be a natural progression and I'm thrilled for her.
She needed something to take her out of the boring telepath non-action heroine.
Levitz can be much more active with her in TK/TP mode.

I hope he does similar things with others.
It's only natural that their powers would mature with them and we've seen similar things before.

For example: Vi went from getting mouse size (moset Adventure stories) to being able to go microscopic (or smaller) during the GDS.
smile
I agree that TK is a natural progression of Imra's powers, but I object to her just suddenly having them with no explanation. I also agree with Lash that it renders Tellus redundant. And Imra has always been in the center of the action. She's probably the most over-featured member ever with the possible exception of Superboy.

I also objected to Duo Damsel's power suddenly increasing with no explanation, but at least it was mentioned.

And Shrinking Violet's been going sub-microscopic since Adv. days. Adv. 350, 363, and 372 to name a few off the top of my head. Also in an early S/LSH, #202.[/b]
Originally posted by Ken Arromdee:
Other people on the net have already noticed that the first issue in which Saturn Girl uses telekinesis is Adventure Comics #267, when making a kryptonite cage. Really, look it up.
I will look these up, since I have the Adventures.
I know that people had a problem with the reboot Element Lad having the ability to change his body to other elements but I found THAT in Adventure, too, so it wasn't really without established canon.
Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(I sound like Quislet, lol!)

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#604489 05/20/10 08:46 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Originally posted by Set:
I kinda love that the last Legion review at CBR was #50, which got *half a star.*

Heh.
That was overly generous.

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#604490 05/20/10 09:23 AM
K
Active
Active
K
I think it's easy to overemphasize old pre-Shooter issues. It's true that Saturn Girl did use telekinesis. It's also true that Cosmic Boy had magnetic eyes, and the Legionnaires who Supergirl met were the children of the original Legionnaires.

I'd be wary of using everything that appeared in an issue that is so old it was obviously before the continuity had settled. Telekinesis isn't too bad, and I'd be happy with an offhand comment like we got for Luornu, but I don't want to see magnetic eyes start showing up.

#604491 05/20/10 09:45 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
No WILDFIRE?!? -- ZERO STARS! (just kidding ...)

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, so forgive me if this has been said, but I have a slightly off the wall theory about Earth-Man as Green Lantern. Notice that Earth-Man wasn't given the usual "You have the ability to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps" type speach. He was simply chosen to bear the ring. Now why? He doesn't have the qualities we think of for Green Lantnern. What he does have, is a desire for racial purity. Why could that be relevant now? Because this was started by the "Second Krona" event at the "Time Institue" wink Where am I going with this?

Earth-Man has been chosen as a 31st century Noah by the Guardians' backup plan to preserve all lifeforms and their genetic uniqueness in the event that the evil is again unleashed.

But it's probably something else entirely....

#604492 05/20/10 10:26 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
This was an excellent first issue, and to be honest, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. It's as though Levitz had been writing Legion stories all these years and this was just another issue continued from the last (from the 80's!). It might take Paul a couple of issues to find his true legs with the characters he knows so well, but awe what the heck!

The story so far is a good lead-in from the Johns' anti-alien plotline and the Earth-Man/prejudism/new GL plot developement is already interesting and I'm sure Paul has something extra special planned for this character (but somehow I don't think self- redemption is in the cards for him).

The artwork was great and I like how Cinar's style matches the contemporary artists' styles ala Marvel's "reborn" titles, yet still keeps it futuristic somehow.
BTW I checked with my mother who is Turkish as to the correct pronunciation of his name and it's pronounced Yil-di-RYE (like rye bread) Chi-NAR (the "C" sounding like a hard "ch" instead of "s") with the accents on the last syllables as is typical with the Turkish language.
Now we can say his name out loud with confidence if we ever meet him in person one day! smile

I KNEW it would be Titan that would be the world to blow up real good! smile
I did say it (along with a few others on here) waaaaaay back when we saw the first Levitz interview promoting the new series. Now let's see if the other part of my prediction will come true ... refugee Titan telepaths becoming sought after commodities/"guns for hire", etc.
Imra was portrayed with her true nature (thank you Mr. Levitz) and you can sure tell Paul's affinity and love for the character with how he writes her. She will always be one of my favorite Legionnaires.

As for who that girl was in bed with Polar Boy,... none of our business!! LOL
I think we'll find out sooner rather than later anyway.

I'm so excited about this "new" retro-boot version of my favourite comic that I can hardly wait for issue #2 to come out in June. It's been a long time since a comic made me feel this way let me tell ya.

Hey, did anybody else pick up the variant? It looks better "in person" than the pictures I'd seen, and I totally appreciated the 80's title letterhead they used. Bravo!

#604493 05/20/10 10:29 AM
Leader
Leader
I think it's easy to overemphasize old pre-Shooter issues. It's true that Saturn Girl did use telekinesis. It's also true that Cosmic Boy had magnetic eyes, and the Legionnaires who Supergirl met were the children of the original Legionnaires.

I'd be wary of using everything that appeared in an issue that is so old it was obviously before the continuity had settled. Telekinesis isn't too bad, and I'd be happy with an offhand comment like we got for Luornu, but I don't want to see magnetic eyes start showing up.
What he said. Besides Saturn Girl only uses telekinesis on the cover of 267, doesn't she? And covers are notoriously deceptive. Also, that was only her 2nd appearance and she never used that power again. Until now.

When did Element Lad change his body in Adventure? I don't remember that.

#604494 05/20/10 10:33 AM
Leader
Leader
If a Green Lantern must be involved with the Legion, I sure wish it could be Rond. I don't suppose they'll revive him any time soon, since they've already killed him and brought him back once. Hmph.

#604495 05/20/10 10:51 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
There's something ironic about "Earth's champion" being made a Green Lantern, considering the fact that Green Lanterns were traditionally banned from Earth.

#604496 05/20/10 12:34 PM
Deputy
Deputy
One of the things I seem to remember about Paul Levitz on the Legion is that he plays the hand he is dealt.

In his last run he did bring and end to Matter-Eater Lad's insanity,even though Tenzil was not one of his favorite characters.

He never brought Tharok back into the Fatal Five after he vanished with the Dark Man.

While I was glad Tenzil got better (even though we did not see much of him after that)

I was kind of sorry I never got to see the original Fatal Five in his last run.

Did I like everything Paul did with the Legion,no in fact my 3 favorite characters went through changes I didn't really care for,Timber Wolf and Wildfire lost their unique Cockrum looks that I loved so very much,and Karate Kid lost his life(though Kieth gets most of the blame for that)

But with all that said Levitz still wrote My Legion (well until they tied his hands with that darn Byrne Superman reboot anyway) and some of my favorite stories were his,I have faith that he will address all the unanswered questions we have in time and build upon the Legion Lore,and not sweep everything under the rug and start over!

As for the new 1st issue,I really enjoyed it,though I think it will take him a few more to hit his stride,I think it will be one hell of a ride,I just hope Giffen doesn't come back and decides he hates Brin and Drake as mush as he did Val!

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#604497 05/20/10 01:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's also true that Cosmic Boy had magnetic eyes, and the Legionnaires who Supergirl met were the children of the original Legionnaires.
actually, no.

Supergirl was told that, yes. But it was never shown.

The easiest continuity-fix would be to consider that statement a spontaneous fib, to divert the conversation away from Kara talking about Kal's experience with the Legion. This actually fits the theory that the Legion actually approached Kara first; thus the fib diverts the conversation from them hearing about their own future.

That is just my own speculation, of course.

But it doesn't change the fact that we had only one off-hand comment as evidence of Kara's Legion being children of the original.

So it's only true that the claim was made, not the substance of that claim.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#604498 05/20/10 01:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
There's something ironic about "Earth's champion" being made a Green Lantern, considering the fact that Green Lanterns were traditionally banned from Earth.
only on Mondays. wink

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#604499 05/20/10 01:59 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Kent:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]There's something ironic about "Earth's champion" being made a Green Lantern, considering the fact that Green Lanterns were traditionally banned from Earth.
only on Mondays. wink [/b]
That's 5YL, and therefore out of continuity! wink

#604500 05/20/10 03:43 PM
Active
Active
I enjoyed it. As some have noted, it felt like a Levitz issue, which is guess is understandable. I do wish that Brainy had been a bit more collected and a bit more personable, as he was in Levitz's original run. He was never exactly the life of the party, but he wasn't totally alienated from the team either, usually. Imra felt like Imra for the first time in, what has it been, over twenty years? We didn't get to see much of the other Legionnaires, but we have time.

As for the whole Earth Man thing, I'm going to give Paul time to tell his story before I decide what I think of it.

#604501 05/20/10 04:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I also get the feeling that Paul's going to use his "the chronicles have been inaccurate" spiel to just magically sweep away any and all inconsistencies, which kind of irks me. Ignoring the old rockets the Legionnaires used to wear is one thing, but giving a central character a new power is another matter. IMHO, of course.
I agree, but I'm giving him a break on this one. There are some things that he needs to never mention again...and the time burp from the Last Stand is also a good way to go about ironing some things out.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Copycat Girl
Copycat Girl
Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters.