Roll Call
0 members (), 49 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LEGION LOST #2(Preview and Spoilers)
#607121 10/11/11 06:03 PM
Korbal Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
Re: LEGION LOST #2(Preview and Spoilers)
#607122 10/11/11 08:32 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Wonder if the other doctors and nurses were transformed, too? Hmmm...

Timer Wolf's "rrrhhh" at the end is ominous. But he wouldn't go berserk on the crowd, would he?

He sure had an interesting approach to confronting Doc Scanlon - and I agree with Wildfire's narration, kind of reckless. But then, that is Brin. I guess he didn't think to bring the guy out of the crowd first.

#607123 10/12/11 10:49 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Am I the only one who got this issue already? (I'm trying digital and enjoying not having to find space for the books.)

I thought this issue did a much better job explaining the situation and filled in some of the blanks. I generally liked the characterizations and there was some poignancy in Wildfire's narration and thoughts.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">The disease is an interesting idea. Alastor wanted to turn humans into aliens, so the virus adds alien DNA to each human it infects. And the type of DNA a human gets infected with evidently is random, so there can be all sorts of variations in what effects it will have and what the LL will confront. It would be nice to see the writers use that to pay homage to some worlds where people receive powers genetically. Presumably, a human who receives Braalian DNA would develop magnetic powers or Imskian DNA would cause changes in size.

At the same time, this concerns me because it could lead to: (1) a freak-of-the-week type storyline (ala Smallville); and (2) too many issues where the viral effects mimic one of our characters ala Wildfire's experiences with the Dr. who turned into an energy being. But I liked what this issue did, so I'll see where the story goes.

One open question is whether the virus grafts onto non-humans, and whether characters like Tyroc, Timber Wolf and Dawnstar are close enough to human to be affected. Wildfire speculates that the Losties are infected, but what exactly does that mean when the pathogen is designed to affect humans? Though Alastor was infected, so it may have broader range than he intended.</span></span>

#607124 10/13/11 06:15 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I though the issue was a little bland. Woods is a competent artist, but his style just isn't working of me here. Wildfire's my favourite Legionnaire, but I found this issues narration a little weak and by the numbers.

While I liked the nod to Quislet, I'm not sure how Tealians have DNA, nor how you'd be able to get it (unless form Quislet) as their Universe is unreachable. A nitpick for sure, but it was distracting to me.

Not sure how an airborn pathogen will conveniently only infect one person a month, and I agree with the "Smallville" comparison. It seems like we should be having a pandemic of Super-Villains.

I can't find too much wrong here, I just can't seem to get excited about it either.

#607125 10/13/11 09:18 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by reckless:
At the same time, this concerns me because it could lead to: (1) a freak-of-the-week type storyline (ala Smallville
This was my exact thought as well... especially when you see the solicit for Nov reads in part "What does Timber Wolf have in common with Red Rage, a creature that eats the marrow from its victim's bones?" Not only does this sound like "freak of the week" but it also echoes the similarities between Wildfire and the Dr. this month. So now Timber Wolf meets a similar match to his abilities. I hope this is all going somewhere surprising as it is way too soon to be so repetitive.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#607126 10/13/11 05:29 PM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Wow. What a great issue!!
This was the first time since S/LSH #201 that I actually cared about Wildfire.
The writer did a fine job explaining the events leading up to the Legionnaires becoming Lost, & he even threw in an effective recap of isuue #1.
Pete Woods' art was fantastic.
I am now really looking forward to the rest of this series.

#607127 10/15/11 06:46 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Good issue. The sense of dread and isolation keeps growing.

Loved seeing some real character development of Wildfire. And further insight into Dawnstar's power as well.

Does anyone else get the uneasy feeling that Yera and Gate's 'organic matter' might get infected and reappear in some form??

#607128 10/15/11 09:52 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by EmeraldEmperor:
Does anyone else get the uneasy feeling that Yera and Gate's 'organic matter' might get infected and reappear in some form??
'Durlan tech' has been sneaking around the DCU as an origin source since the old Invasion! crossover (in fact, I'm pretty sure August General in Iron has a Durlan-tech-related origin), and, generally, 'Durlan tech' is organic Durlan material.

If Yera's body mass can be artificially induced to assume other forms, it's entirely possible that some evil dude might show up wearing her missing mass as a bio-organic exoskeleton!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#607129 10/15/11 12:21 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Interesting that when Wildfire opened his visor, not only did he NOT eject from his suit, but he had a face!

I think it was previously established that he could eject and reenter his suit safely,as long as it remained undamaged, but the face is totally new.

Nice nod to Wildfire being an astrophysics student before he was a superhero. It's always great when the Legionnaires' other skills are used in the stories.

Interesting visuals on how Dawnstar's power works. I think this is a first. So her tracking sense is like radar, huh? I'm not sure if it'll work as an explanation - she's previously been shown tracking people across light years, so she must have some amazing senses. Kudos to Nicieza for being the first (I think) to attempt to portray Dawny's powers though.

Also,if Doc Scanlon could have made himself appear human, why didn't he when he was at the funeral? Did he just figure it out after? And why did he stay at his place? He wouldn't have known that Tellus had made people forget about seeing him as an energy being. And since Tellus couldn't track him telepathically, he couldn't have made Scanlon forget, too. He says at the end he didn't want to be human anymore...

#607130 10/17/11 05:46 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I really liked this issue - I still firmly believe that Gates and Yera will be back soon, so I was surprised that I missed seeing them as much as I did.

I thought the characterisations were all extremely well done, I can DEFINITELY see a Brin/Dawny/Wildfire triangle happening at some point down the track now (though tbh I think I would prefer for this experience to lead to Dawny and Brin just becoming really good friends, they could both use it). I really felt for Wildfire in this issue, both his despair over being what he is and his devotion to Dawnstar.

I also thought that the necessary exposition was for the most part quite well done and not as heavy-handed as it could have been...and I really have a sense of how lost the Legionnaires really are.

There was only one thing that really jarred, and that was the idea that Scanlon merged with a Teallian. I can deal with the idea that maybe in the time since Quislet left and rejoined the team his people came to join the UP somehow and maybe there are more of them in UP space...maybe the Quislet of this Legion isn't even the same entity as the Quislet who originally joined; the nature of his people makes that not impossible...

But even with 31st century science...I just fail to see how a biological virus can merge biological DNA with whatever it is that constitutes an inorganic energy being. It is just as silly as saying Scanlon merged with the planetary chance machine and now has the ability to spin round really fast and throw bits of himself off randomly.

Aside from that, I kind of hope we address the giant elephant in the room as to why the Legion haven't tried to call Superman in the 3 days they've been here, but my enjoyment of this series is far far outweighing the minor quibbles I have with it. smile

#607131 10/17/11 08:36 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Maybe the writer is aware of recent scientific theory. There is a theory called Parallel Evolution, in that different species develop similar traits due to similar ancestral conditions. Therefore, if life were to develop on different planets according to the theory of parallel evolution those planets have to be similar to Earth.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#607132 10/17/11 03:44 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by razsolo: I can DEFINITELY see a Brin/Dawny/Wildfire triangle happening at some point down the track now (though tbh I think I would prefer for this experience to lead to Dawny and Brin just becoming really good friends, they could both use it).
This is something I'd like to see a HECK of a lot more of in comic books (on TV, etc.) is friendships between male and female characters that *aren't* all about the 'chemistry' or the unrequited sexual tension.

The Legion has some 'buddies,' like Star Boy & Sun Boy (way back in the day), or Shadow Lass & Phantom Girl, or, more recently, Sun Boy & Polar Boy, but they've always been same-sex friendships.

It's easier to find gay relationships in today's media than non-sexualized friendships between men and women...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#607133 10/21/11 09:58 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:

Interesting visuals on how Dawnstar's power works. I think this is a first. So her tracking sense is like radar, huh? I'm not sure if it'll work as an explanation - she's previously been shown tracking people across light years, so she must have some amazing senses. Kudos to Nicieza for being the first (I think) to attempt to portray Dawny's powers though.
actually it was first shown way back in S/LSH #240 or #242 at the beginning of the Earthwar,...where Dawnstar was shown with a "visual radar" alerting her that the potential assassination on Dominators...and Wildfire, Mon, and Ultra Boy ran and disarmed the weapons targeting Doms.

#607134 10/21/11 10:00 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
and WOW...seems to me that the editor of the Bleeding Cool so negative 100% against the Legion books - here's the latest article made by him -

"LEGION LOST #2

Nope, still an unreadable mess with no reason to be. Paper thin characters who still don’t get a decent introduction, run of the mill superhero plots and action, the only rewarding bit in this issue was the two-page spread explaining what the hell happened in last month’s clusterfuck. But is that really a valid storytelling tecnhique? 0/10"

0/10!! geez!

are we seeing a secret clone of John Byrne or an introduction of the Anti-Legion Lad?

#607135 10/21/11 11:31 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
The sad thing is: the Bleeding Cool guy sounds like some of the more vociferous Legion fans I've seen around the internets the last couple of years.

sigh

I'm all for actual criticism, natch. Hatchet jobs, though, don't do it for me.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#607136 10/21/11 11:38 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
[b]
actually it was first shown way back in S/LSH #240 or #242 at the beginning of the Earthwar,...where Dawnstar was shown with a "visual radar" alerting her that the potential assassination on Dominators...and Wildfire, Mon, and Ultra Boy ran and disarmed the weapons targeting Doms.[/b]
Thanks for the info, Supes!

Re: Bleeding Cool, huh. If he's gonna hate so much, he should put more effort into it. His criticisms may be valid, but at least back them up with more concrete examples.

If the plot is run-of-the-mill, at least give a brief outline.

#607137 10/21/11 11:44 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
and also.....Keith Giffen did twice on visuals on Dawnstar's powers...once in LSH #288, where she was shown trying to outmaneuver the solar flares while talking with Ayla in searching for Cham, Saturn Girl, T-Wolf, etc. Caught T-Wolf and Saturn Girl in the "act"...heh.

and 2nd time during the 5-year gap as Bounty.

#607138 10/21/11 07:05 PM
I really enjoyed this issue a lot. Mainly because I'm a sucker for stories that really get inside a character's head. (Wildfire, in this case.)

And, yeah, I'm getting used to the art. It's just taken me some time. Both LL and the "regular" series do feel less padded than what we got the last go-'round, so that's good.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#607139 10/22/11 08:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Two issues in, and this series is failing to grab me. The storytelling is haphazard. It would have worked better to have seen the events in the 31st century that lead to the team being lost. Yes, we are getting the back story, but it's coming in a way that interrupts the flow of the ongoing story. The lack of follow through from the dramatic exits of Yera and Gates in the previous issue was jarring. While I appreciate the efforts at character development with Wildfire, his narration felt out of character. I like Wildfire to be more arrogant and hot headed. This guy is too nice. The visuals aren't working for me either. I guess I'm in a minority, but I enjoyed Tyroc's bald Darkstar look in the previous series. He just doesn't look like Tyroc here. Timber Wolf and Dawnstar aren't working for me either.

I'm in for the long haul. Maybe it will click at some point. So far, the series has been one the biggest disappointments of the DC relaunch for me.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#607140 10/22/11 10:28 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by Jerry:
...Yes, we are getting the back story, but it's coming in a way that interrupts the flow of the ongoing story. The lack of follow through from the dramatic exits of Yera and Gates in the previous issue was jarring...
The characters are in a jarring situation. So the backstory coming in bits and pieces actually makes sense, to me. I'll give the creators the benefit of the doubt and assume that there hasn't been much talk of the "dead" Legionnaires because the survivors haven't accepted the deaths as real-- any more than I've accepted it.

tongue

Ideally, this story wouldn't have been in two different books in the first place. I would rather have paid more for one single, longer book; one that cut back and forth between the two locales/time periods so I could feel in an effective way how the stories intertwine. But them's the breaks. shrug

While I appreciate the efforts at character development with Wildfire, his narration felt out of character. I like Wildfire to be more arrogant and hot headed. This guy is too nice.
By his own admission, he's not nice, though. He admits that he "Whined the loudest" to get his way in a difficult situation. And I've never equated his obsession with Dawny with"niceness." Often it's made him act like a boor. And here we find out that he knows it bothers her. Yet he does it anyway. Frankly it's a more interesting take on the character than I recall seeing in a while. Certainly more, uh, "fleshed out" than what we got in the last run.

The visuals aren't working for me either. I guess I'm in a minority, but I enjoyed Tyroc's bald Darkstar look in the previous series. He just doesn't look like Tyroc here. Timber Wolf and Dawnstar aren't working for me either.
The White "Sgt. Pepper" Jacket actually hearkens back to his original look, but more contemporary. Of course, I liked his last visual go-round, too. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

I think Dawnstar's costume is stupid, but it's no worse than her last one, I guess.

#607141 10/27/11 07:35 AM
Active
Active
sounds like a certain greybird over on dc message boards. Good thing Fabian can handle it and give it back.

Bring back the super-cousins
#607142 11/08/11 11:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I enjoyed # 2 a LOT more than 1. Woods' art is probably my fave on all 4 current LSH books and I love the art on *all* 4 LSH books!

I appreciated the backstory but won't find myself surprised if 2 dips big in sales... # 1 should have covered much of this ground for newbies (us longtimers are usually more patient).

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#607143 11/10/11 03:35 PM
Active
Active
The least favorite Legion book of the month. I like the characters, but I can't see where the story is going, Hypertaxis? In the past? No that does not work for me. I also am lacking the backstory, how the team got lost and when...

Artwork is okay, but I believe this book has no future.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires