Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LEGION;SECRET ORIGIN #6 (preview)
#607607 03/28/12 02:20 PM
Korbal Offline OP
Active
OP Offline
Active

"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63
Re: LEGION;SECRET ORIGIN #6 (preview)
#607608 03/28/12 03:06 PM
Active
Active
I have thoroughly enjoyed every issue of this simply wonderful mini-series!

#607609 03/28/12 03:14 PM
Active
Active
Decent end to a decent series.

The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.
#607610 03/28/12 03:29 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Meh. Another mini-series with a story that might have been stretched to an over-size anniversary issue back in the 80s.

Tinya's characterization was a lot of fun, but otherwise this series was pretty much Dullsville.

#607611 03/28/12 04:54 PM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
Nice series overall, but the end was very anti-climactic. No big confrontation with the Time Trapper, he was just forced to flee as an unintended consequence, and named as an afterthought. No confrontation with the invaders, no idea of their nature or intentions, just closed off the wormhole.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#607612 03/28/12 05:18 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Nice series overall, but the end was very anti-climactic.
which in this case might be a nice way to say "rushed" and "boring"!

besides, i really didn't feel the need to force the time trapper into the legion's origins. actually, i think the character should totally be forgotten, since it reminds of the confusing continuity reboots and deboots the legion suffered too many times.

i really wish levitz moved on and left the legion to someone new.

#607613 03/28/12 10:34 PM
K
Active
Active
K
This series read as "the rug was pulled from beneath us. What DC Universe?"

Superboy and Supergirl are enough a part of any Legion origin that failing to have them actually join is a blatant "well, DC won't let us do a complete origin". The Trapper is bad continuity personified.

#607614 03/29/12 01:22 AM
Applicant
Applicant
In retrospect, I only read this series for the Querl/Tinya interactions.

I sort of miss the classic costumes, which are now officially out of continuity.

#607615 03/29/12 03:17 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, we've never seen Tinya and Querl have much in the way of interaction before, so I like it.
It's new & shiny, she doesn't do anything disgusting or out of character, like Imra did in the retroboot.
I actually hope that's not really in the softbooted DCnU.
nod

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#607616 03/29/12 03:36 AM
Active
Active
I quite liked this series, though I agree it was too long for what actually happened.

I'm annoyed that we didn't get an explanation of who the invaders were. I suspect that PL may be linking this to the Dominators arc in the main book.

the panel of Lu with the next candidates was interesting. I assume the middle two were supposed to be Superman and Brainy. On the right I am presuming were Shrinking Violet and Sun Boy but who are the two on the left (assuming we have ever met them)? Given the stars, the male could be Thom Kallor but the female I can't place. An unknown rejectee, possibly?

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#607617 03/29/12 07:24 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Mr. Kayak:

besides, i really didn't feel the need to force the time trapper into the legion's origins. actually, i think the character should totally be forgotten, since it reminds of the confusing continuity reboots and deboots the legion suffered too many times.
I agree with this completely. Plus the fact that this storyline made him seem fairly inept overall. I'm not a big fan of the TMK retcon which made TTT responsible for the existence of the Legion, but that version at least made him seem uber-competent and therefore dangerous. His portrayal here made him seem kind of pathetic.

Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:

the panel of Lu with the next candidates was interesting. I assume the middle two were supposed to be Superman and Brainy. On the right I am presuming were Shrinking Violet and Sun Boy but who are the two on the left (assuming we have ever met them)? Given the stars, the male could be Thom Kallor but the female I can't place. An unknown rejectee, possibly?
I'm guessing Tinya. If Brainy's not a member yet as of the issue's end, I assume she isn't either... which should drive continuity purists crazy.

#607618 03/29/12 11:29 AM
G
Active
Active
G
*poof*

#607619 03/29/12 12:36 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by gone:
I have Extremely mixed feelings on this series. IF it had been issues #1-6 of the new Legion of Super-Heroes title following the Flashpoint Reboot, then I would be pretty happy with it despite the 'drug-out' story telling. I would even be looking forward to how things were going to play out from here. However, as a flash-back to the beginnings of the current version of the Legion, which is supposed to be the dirrect continuation of the previous version of the Legion, which was supposed to be the pre-Crisis version of the Legion with a few tweaks to fit the (then) current DCU history.... it totally Sucks. It raises more questions than it answers and yet again introduces a bunch of changes-for-change's-sake alterations to the Legion's (tenuous to non-existent) continuity. For me, that makes it is exactly the waste of time and money I feared it would be when the artistt was posting about it here berfore it was released. Sad.
I don't know that I'd call it a waste of time, it was interesting to see what would have been done. And considering all the "reboots" and the claim that this version is the Pre-Crisis version, the only true measurement for "mistake" or "changes" to what we thought we knew was the panel where the Legion is first introduced way back when Superboy first met the team.
The panel that had obscured heads of a bigger team than the founding 3, it seems Levitz simply made aware whom those heads belonged to all those years ago.
Leaving for everything that came after to come after.

#607620 03/29/12 01:37 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Another legion lady smitten with the Dox I see. tongue

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com
#607621 03/29/12 05:34 PM
Leader
Leader
Half a dozen assassination attempts on Brande got tedious for me and the repeated word motif became annoying. This felt like a few subplots that could've gone in the background of a meaty main story to fill up a couple of issues. Instead it was stretched out to fill 6. There was no sense of drama over blowing up the wormhole at all, and PG's instant return was no surprise whatsoever. The villains in all the Legion books have been pretty much bowling pin opponents for some time now. Stand them up, knock them down. Next, please. There's no sense of mystery, danger, or suspense at all. I enjoyed the art over all, but it was so obviously being stretched to fill space. Look at the panel where the robot thingy deposits the unconscious Brande in a chair. It takes 2/3 of a page for a scene that's really only worth about a 1/6 page panel. 2 pages later, we have Chame walking toward Mycroft taking up half the page. The rest of the issue is more of the same.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#607622 03/29/12 06:11 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Look at the panel where the robot thingy deposits the unconscious Brande in a chair. It takes 2/3 of a page for a scene that's really only worth about a 1/6 page panel. 2 pages later, we have Chame walking toward Mycroft taking up half the page. The rest of the issue is more of the same.
This, sadly, has become the norm style wise with comics. Its tedious to pick up a new comic with the momentum of the hype surrounding it, the notion of the new and fresh, only to know it's going to take about 6 months before it gets interesting or anything happens.

I guess Johns and Lee's "creative" control is showing itself. I've dropped like 10 books in the last month and this week alone stopped reading 3 by page 2 for just this reason.
It's disappointing to think that some of these comics have peaked over 20 years ago story wise and are just riding out their "potential".

#607623 03/30/12 05:30 AM
Active
Active
The story is not bad.
But I was expecting to see at least for Violet.
This one is another reboot for my to deal. Already we will see if in a not very distant future, they give of fall both titles of Legion and start telling us the history from here.
And Batista art is good, but too thin figures, these people don't have ass!

From UK with glamour.
#607624 03/30/12 09:22 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:

I'm guessing Tinya. If Brainy's not a member yet as of the issue's end, I assume she isn't either... which should drive continuity purists crazy.[/QB]
Tinya was sworn in in #3 so the candidate isn't her

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#607625 03/30/12 05:38 PM
Active
Active
As with the Star Trek/Legion mini, I really enjoyed L:SO. On the whole, the story doesn't really hold up to scrutiny, but the generally strong art and characterizations made up for it. To me, it was the comic-book equivalent of a fun, albeit somewhat mindless, summer popcorn flick.

Frankly, at this point I'd prefer an ongoing L:SO with the same writing/art team over either of the two actual Legion titles, which are dragging a bit IMO.

♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦
#607626 03/30/12 06:26 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by TimeTrapR:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
[b] Look at the panel where the robot thingy deposits the unconscious Brande in a chair. It takes 2/3 of a page for a scene that's really only worth about a 1/6 page panel. 2 pages later, we have Chame walking toward Mycroft taking up half the page. The rest of the issue is more of the same.
This, sadly, has become the norm style wise with comics. Its tedious to pick up a new comic with the momentum of the hype surrounding it, the notion of the new and fresh, only to know it's going to take about 6 months before it gets interesting or anything happens.

I guess Johns and Lee's "creative" control is showing itself. I've dropped like 10 books in the last month and this week alone stopped reading 3 by page 2 for just this reason.
It's disappointing to think that some of these comics have peaked over 20 years ago story wise and are just riding out their "potential". [/b]
Yes, I'm starting to drop DC titles left and right. Legion seems to be on idle mode. I'm sooo tired of decompressed storytelling.

#607627 03/30/12 09:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I enjoyed Phantom Girl and Brainy.

The art was nice.

Anticlimactic ending. The story was worth maybe a dollar...the experience with our Legion buddies was worth maybe 4 bucks, not 18.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#607628 03/31/12 10:46 AM
K
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
K
Phantom Girl was definitely the star of the mini series. I enjoyed the run, especially the behind-the-scenes politics as a new angle. The artwork made me feel achy and bubbley for Chris Batista.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,254
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires