Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Levitz talks Legion
#611688 01/21/10 10:39 PM
Dev-Em Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Outside of a few "phrases" and mentioning it once every great while, there was no way to know that Gim was Jewish. Only way I really found out was when Marte said something about he and Yera raising their kids Jewish.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#611689 01/21/10 10:44 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Eh. Gim Allon's Jewishness was a retcon, though. Levitz noted that "Allon" was the name of a famous Israeli general and a light went on in his head, so to speak. I presume that a wholesale change in the character's appearance just because of that wouldn't have made sense. Partially because it would disorient readers and partially because there are plenty of Jews who don't look like Mel Brooks or Richard Lewis. I have a slew of pale-skinned, freckled, red-headed cousins on Mom's side, for instance.

In a sense, Levitz sent a mixed signal, because I think the writers and editors in the 1980s didn't want to blatantly pour a whole lot of religious elements into the stories. At the time, I was a little disappointed at this, but nowadays I think they had the right idea. For those of us who aren't religious, it can feel very tiresome after a while when religion seems to intrude into everything.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#611690 01/21/10 11:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
SECRETS OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1 (Jan 1981) -

click to enlarge

#611691 01/22/10 02:37 AM
P
Reservist
Reservist
P
Ha!

I haven't gone out of lurking mode around here in a while, but if anyone does want to see what a 30th century including PoC would look like...

#611692 01/22/10 02:41 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Set:
. . . Then again, trying to fill ethnic slots with aliens, like Bgtzlns or Carggites or Braalians, somewhat defeats the purpose, IMO.
Originally, and during the pre and post Zero hour Valor seeding times, all of those aliens mentioned started out as Earth humans.
I could see one genetic predispostion or another being in a specific geographical region or another.
The Dominators would take most or all natives from that area and they would create the same powers in each group.
Before Crisis, I could see that colonists for a planet would originally come from the same Earth areas due to compatability with the planet environment and for group dynamics.

In the Pern stories, the settlers came from 3 geographic regions on Earth and all of the 'founders' had a similar political ideology, which was the belief and desire for a low tech society based on guilds.
Those groups were sent to Pern because the planet was low in metals and fossil fuels which would make a hightech society difficult if not impossible.

In all of the realities mentioned, ethnicity would survive, especially in isolated colony situations, I think.

Dawnstar - Anasazi, actually, so more Arizona-based Native American. Comic book native americans are always plains dwellers It would be neat to see a Seminole, or a South American native,. . . but I don't think I'll hold my breath for an Iroquois showing up.

Dawnstar wasn't originally Anastazi. Her tribe wasn't named, if I remember correctly and her original 'look' was stereotypically plains indian. (Preboot Starhaven was a 700 year old colony made up of multiple 'Amerind' tribes.)
In the retroboot, I assume TPTB will go with the Bedard version from .REBELS.
I think that the showing there was also very 'Yellow Hand' rather than Puebloish, but that's just me, probably.

Originally posted by cleome:
Eh. Gim Allon's Jewishness was a retcon, though. Levitz noted that "Allon" was the name of a famous Israeli general and a light went on in his head, so to speak. I presume that a wholesale change in the character's appearance just because of that wouldn't have made sense. Partially because it would disorient readers and partially because there are plenty of Jews who don't look like Mel Brooks or Richard Lewis. I have a slew of pale-skinned, freckled, red-headed cousins on Mom's side, for instance.

In a sense, Levitz sent a mixed signal, because I think the writers and editors in the 1980s didn't want to blatantly pour a whole lot of religious elements into the stories. At the time, I was a little disappointed at this, but nowadays I think they had the right idea. For those of us who aren't religious, it can feel very tiresome after a while when religion seems to intrude into everything.
That's an interesting insight into Gim and Levitz and how things develope in a serial story.
smile
But I think that 'they' wouldn't have had to change Gim's looks from middle American/Canadian to Jewish nearly as much as they had to change Val's looks from Caucasian to Japanese.
And they did it.
(All Gim would have needed would have been a small beard and the idea would have gotten across, with a Star of David somewhere, of course!
lol
Ahhhh, stereotypes!

But seriously, in the long run, I agree that it shouldn't have been done.
(Rokk makes much more sense as Jewish, smile .)

I prefer not to have too much Earth religion in comics, either.
At least, living religions.
But not because they intrude.

For me it's either too easy to offend people or that the writers usually don't get it correct, anyway, especially Christianity, imo.

I always liked how Star Trek dealt with God.
They'd have a comment or an occasional glimpse or once, a story, but mostly it was about space and aliens.
I particularly liked glimpses of Vulcan and Klingon beliefs.

I think though that having a whole group of people with NO beliefs in or versions of God would be just as unrealistic and intrusive as having EVERYONE with them.
And that's my opinion.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#611693 01/22/10 03:01 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Legion Secret Origins:
Well, there you go, it's cannon that Gim's from (once named)Israel and Jerusalem. But's it's his working on a kibbutz that seals the Jewish background.
No question there!

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#611694 01/22/10 03:45 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
In a sense, Levitz sent a mixed signal, because I think the writers and editors in the 1980s didn't want to blatantly pour a whole lot of religious elements into the stories.
The pendulum, she swings. DC pretty much got off the ground thanks to a pair of Jewish men making a Christ-metaphor named Kal-El (Mighty Warrior of the Lord), something played upon heavy-handedly in the last Superman movie (with all the 'sent you, my only son, to be their savior' references).

Then they avoided religion for awhile. Now they are back to throwing around religious terminology willy-nilly (calling Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman a 'Trinity,' for instance).

Gim has never worn his identity on his sleeve, but the same could be said about a lot his beliefs (in the threeboot, the only evidence at all is that his brother has a star of David on his nightstand). He's generally been portrayed more physical than philosophical. We've heard more about Jan and Tasmias spiritual beliefs than any of the Earth-folk.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#611695 01/22/10 08:22 AM
Active
Active
Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and Invisible Kid II were Christians (note the Christening of Grayam) and Jacques said during the LSH 59 (baxter) i believe.

Bring back the super-cousins
#611696 01/22/10 10:06 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Superboy-Supergirl:
Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and Invisible Kid II were Christians (note the Christening of Grayam) and Jacques said during the LSH 59 (baxter) i believe.
Ooh, I'd forgotten that Jacques used to say 'Sacre Mere' every now and then, a reference to the Virgin Mary.

#611697 01/22/10 08:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yah know.
I remember suggesting on the DC boards, oh ten or more years ago, that DC should add a book teaming the big 3, rather than just having Batman and Superman together.

I suggested that they call the book, Trinity!

I'm rather proud of that, and Umbra, whom I also suggested right down to her name.
I know it's just coincidence, but still.

And I wasn't thinking of the Godhead at the time of the Trinity suggestion, either.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#611698 01/23/10 05:01 PM
[snip]

Originally posted by Candle:

But seriously, in the long run, I agree that it shouldn't have been done.
(Rokk makes much more sense as Jewish, smile .)
Whoa. I wasn't saying that it shouldn't have been done. I remember seeing the page that Nightcrawler posted (before I was reading any superhero comics at all, so it must have been at a friend's house) and thinking it was pretty cool. I already knew that a lot of famous comic book creators were Jewish, and it bugged me that there never seemed to be any characters that were. Young as I was, I still knew that there was something "off" about that.

No reason why they couldn't both be under the same umbrella, so to speak. Judaism has plenty of divisions and sects already. Who knows how many more there'd be once the faithful were all living several planets away from one another.

If you wanted to upend negative stereotypes, a surefire way to do it would be to make the poorest planet in the U.P. heavily populated by Jewish people. laugh

[snip]

I think though that having a whole group of people with NO beliefs in or versions of God would be just as unrealistic and intrusive as having EVERYONE with them.
And that's my opinion.
The closest thing I remember to a Legionnaire with an open "no belief" policy would be Brainiac Five, when he argued with Dawnstar and she told him that he was "incapable of seeing beyond anything but your wretched machines!" That's a strong implication of Atheism, even if it wasn't openly stated as such.

Though to be honest, I don't think of Atheism as "lack of belief." It's only a different set of beliefs.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#611699 01/23/10 05:06 PM
[snip]

The pendulum, she swings. DC pretty much got off the ground thanks to a pair of Jewish men making a Christ-metaphor named Kal-El (Mighty Warrior of the Lord), something played upon heavy-handedly in the last Superman movie (with all the 'sent you, my only son, to be their savior' references).
I always thought of Kal-El as being more a metaphor for the immigrant experience: Nobody has to know who I am. Nobody must know who I am. How can I do good in this place where nobody is like me, without risking a revelation of who I am? What will everyone say when they know? What will they do?

[snip]

Gim has never worn his identity on his sleeve, but the same could be said about a lot his beliefs (in the threeboot, the only evidence at all is that his brother has a star of David on his nightstand). He's generally been portrayed more physical than philosophical. We've heard more about Jan and Tasmia's spiritual beliefs than any of the Earth-folk.
I haven't read all of threeboot, so the cynic in me had naturally assumed that the retcon had been unretconned. Thanks for letting me know that I was mistaken.

#611700 01/23/10 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Pizza Delivery Girl:
Ha!

I haven't gone out of lurking mode around here in a while, but if anyone does want to see what a 30th century including PoC would look like...
cool Thank You! cool

I'd seen this before but flaked out on bookmarking it and then promptly forgot where it was!

#611701 01/23/10 06:52 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I always thought of Kal-El as being more a metaphor for the immigrant experience: Nobody has to know who I am. Nobody must know who I am. How can I do good in this place where nobody is like me, without risking a revelation of who I am? What will everyone say when they know? What will they do?
Super-heroes in general (particularly those with secret identities) are often also considered metaphors for the closeted gay experience.

Humdrum 'normal' life, oh so carefully keeping the secret (and often having sub-plots involving keeping their 'other life' secret from friends and family) and looking just like everybody else, followed by a flamboyantly-dressed and extroverted secret life at night where the hero gets to come out and show off and 'be themself.' Spider-man is a classic example. Nebbish normal life, somewhat geeky and self-conscious, with a totally over-the-top and 'flamboyant' masked persona.

None of the superheroes need to actually be gay (or immigrants, or Jewish) to often serve as metaphors (or even inspirations) for members of those communities.

#611702 01/24/10 04:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've reread the Levitz interview a couple of times now, and each time I'm a little taken back when he drops the f-bomb ... anyone else having the same "omigod, Mr. Rogers cursed" kinda feeling?

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#611703 01/24/10 04:49 PM
[snip]

...Super-heroes in general (particularly those with secret identities) are often also considered metaphors for the closeted gay experience.
Yeah, but Superman was the first one to wear a leotard, I think. Okay, The Scarlet Pimpernel wore stockings and Zorro wore a mask, but...

...None of the superheroes need to actually be gay (or immigrants, or Jewish) to often serve as metaphors (or even inspirations) for members of those communities.
Yes, but this shouldn't be a one-way street. Let's see all fans, including those in dominant groups (that is, those most likely to be "the norm" or "the default") try out their skills at identifying with somebody who is openly (as opposed to just metaphorically or by subtle implication) Not Like Them. Otherwise it smacks of power-over relationships and a double standard, to me.

#611704 01/24/10 04:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Not... really. Not since I heard what a drunken Rogers would sound like.

#611705 01/26/10 05:14 AM
Deputy
Deputy
so is this new book the legion kids from day one or is it a team made up of all the reboots somehow?

:polarboy:
#611706 01/26/10 05:02 PM
Active
Active
I haven't bought comics in almost a year now..but with the announcement that Gail Simone will be back with a new run of Birds of Paradise AND Levitz will be writing "my" Legion--guess I'll be giving DC some cash again.

The art looks GREAT, even if I'm still not crazy about some of the costumes. I'll be happy with pretty much anything though. I just want lots of Nura and Dirk, and Jeckie to go back to being PROJECTRA and ditch the whole Sensor Girl thing.

#611707 01/26/10 06:26 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I can't wait for this, I've read some old issue of Paul's run because I haven't been able to get some of the trades of it and I am confident that it will be good. So I can't wait and the art looks awesome and can't wait for two Legion books! I hope they give out promotional Legion Rings like the Green Lantern and Flash ones they are.

"There is always a solution to every Obstacle."-Karate Kid
#611708 01/27/10 08:15 AM
Active
Active
I would like to see a back-up feature of 'lost' stories set back in the Legion's past with a rotation of favorite former Legion artists.

#611709 01/31/10 12:58 PM
Bah. All those "favorites" are probably retired and living it up in Florida now. They haven't got time for us anymore!

[slips DC knowjack's portfolio while nobody's looking]

#611710 02/03/10 09:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
There's a new interview at Newsarama.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#611711 02/03/10 09:29 PM
I'm amused that Levitz says he can write quickly, because he remembers when it didn't pay well.

lol

But I really have to learn to stop reading comment threads for these things. YouTube and the local newspaper should've taught me that long ago, but I keep forgetting...

sigh

#611712 02/03/10 11:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I want these books in my hands now!

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,971
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Doc Nimbus
Doc Nimbus
Founder's Falls, Paragon City