Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/10/24 08:02 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/10/24 05:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:57 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Green Lantern in the Legion?
#613082 03/31/10 07:16 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
If its not Rond Vidar who's going to be the next Green Lantern in LSH #1 as I'm predicting, then I hope it is Matter-Eater Lad. Something else else needs to be done with this character which has become stagnant over the years. It still seems out of place that he would be chosen to be part of the Espionage Squad that travelled back in time for the Brainiac story. His power is not what I would call subtle.

#613083 03/31/10 02:18 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by future king:
It still seems out of place that he would be chosen to be part of the Espionage Squad that travelled back in time for the Brainiac story. His power is not what I would call subtle.
On the other hand, his power has led to him being one of the Legionnaires who has had the most 'success' outside of super-heroing, as he is forced by circumstances to get by in the real world (or what passes for a 'real world' in the 30th century, anyway). Legionnaires who've spent some time living ordinary 'retired' non-Legion-lives, such as Tenz, Chuck, Lu, Val and Jeckie, might be ideally suited to long-term espionage missions.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#613084 04/05/10 10:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I love the idea of there being a Green Lantern in the Legionverse, just not on the team. I'd rather they just be part of the rich tapestry of the 31st century DCU like the Heroes of Lallor or Dev-Em. (back before they screwed him up)

#613085 04/05/10 10:22 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Total agreement there. I want there to be 31st century Amazons and Atlanteans and Green Lanterns and Martians and some dude wearing the Helmet of Nabu, but the Legion already has twenty-five to seventy established characters (and infinite room for non-derivative additions), it doesn't need to be burdened with a bunch of cheap knock-offs of 20th century heroes.

This is the Legion of Super-Heroes, not Justice League 3000.

#613086 04/06/10 07:59 PM
T
Active
Active
T
This very much reflects how I want to see things done. There are heroes in the 30th century. Not all are in the Legion. Not all even need appear in the Legion's book. I'd rather a story about 30th century Amazons appeared in the Wonder Woman title than the Legion title.

Tom Strong, on nostalgia: "I suppose it's a ready substitute for genuine feeling."
- Tom Strong #6, Alan Moore
#613087 04/06/10 08:17 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Twenty five to seventy established characters? Way to narrow it down, Set! wink

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#613088 04/08/10 08:24 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
His calculation was scientific... tongue

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#613089 04/09/10 12:26 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Jerry:
Twenty five to seventy established characters? Way to narrow it down, Set! wink
Yeah, I'm the dude who stops paralyzed at the buffet line 'cause he can't pick just one thing!

But, generally, the team doesn't have more than twenty-five members at one time, despite having a plethora of members who aren't always present in every line-up (like Tenz, Chuck and Lu, plus characters I'm less familiar with, like Gear, Shikari, Gates, XS, Thunder, Monstress, Devlin O'Ryan, Kinetix, etc.).

Mystery Lad #771253 05/17/13 04:34 PM
Active
Active
Rumors of a Justice Legion to follow our currently cancelled Legion in 2013 means that there might be a good chance for a Green Lantern in the ranks of such a team.

It was interesting to see what you guys said about the idea in 2010. Have your feelings changed on the subject in 2013?

Mystery Lad #771258 05/17/13 06:15 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
One of several problems I have with 20th century concepts appearing in the 30th century (21st/31st, whatever) is that, in the scant-few decades we've known the 'modern-day' Green Lanterns, they've changed a *bunch.* The nature of the Guardians of Oa has changed. The rings and their specific powers have changed (they talk now, for instance). The weakness to yellow has changed.

If all this can change in such a relatively minicule blip of time, a 31st century Green Lantern (or Amazon, or Thanagarian, or Atlantean) should be *ridiculously* different than a 21st century Green Lantern.

If it's not, then it's a nonsensical anachronism well beyond 'why the hell do all these 30th century girls have hairstyles from the fifties?' or 'why the hell is Tinya wearing bell-bottoms?'

If it *is,* then it's only tangentally a 'Green Lantern' in the first place, different enough to be almost unrecognizable, and undercuts the entire reason to introduce one.

I had the same issue with the Invasion! mini-series/event, where some idiot at DC thought it would be *brilliant* to have Khunds and Dominators attack 20th century earth, *using the exact same friggin' technology they'd been shown using in the 30th century,* which begs the question, how mentally deficient are these two races to have failed to advance *at all* over ten centuries? Okay, maybe the Khund nuked themselves back to the stone age and had to start all over, but aren't the Dominators generally supposed to have been smart, with 'obsessed with improving our species' literally the 'hat' they wore on their yellow cone-shaped heads?

30th/31st century Green Lanterns are already 'a thing,' so there's no need to stuff that genie back in the bottle, but if 31st century Amazons / Atlanteans / Thanagarians / etc. are absolutely identical to 21st century predecessors, then *nothing new is being added.*

And if they are changed too much, then why the hell even have them at all, since they will become buzz-words attached to something that has not even passing resemblance to the 21st century race / group / person. (Which, in the case of Hawkman, whose multiple backstories are already a tangled rat's nest of contradictory continuities, might be for the best...)

Meh. This whole Justice Legion thing is frought with peril.

Frought, I say!

Mystery Lad #771284 05/17/13 11:57 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I am not automatically against the idea but it will depend who it is and how they are brought in.

I hope they do not revisit the whole make an existing Legionnaire a Green Lantern again as none of them need that power boost (even though Dawnstar might make a decent Blue Lantern).

Of the Green Lanterns who have existing ties to the Legion I would be extremely happy if they brought in Jordanna Gardner or resurrected Rond (which seems the logical solution and he does have previous of coming back from the dead), introducing Celeste could have interesting potential but I would be disappointed if it was Sodam Yat as, apart from having angry offs with Wildfire, it is not clear what he would bring to the team.

They would also need to find a solution to their unavailability on Mondays.

Mediocre Boy #771312 05/18/13 07:47 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Mediocre Boy
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
...Ha! It'd be funny if it were Jenny (XS)! She could acquire grandpa Barry's Flash ring and wear three rings! Are there any other DCU rings of importance for her to gather? She could be DC's Mandarin...
Actually, Kinetix would be the logical choice to be a power-ring collector, since in ReBoot continuity (her only continuity, actually) she got her powers while seeking out powerful artifacts.

It would be kinda cool if she got the second Emerald Eye, too (remember, the one McCauley's young female friend from the Work Force had?). In fact, that could be her new gig: seeking out powerful DC universe artifacts in general, not just rings.

I'd love to see Zoe use that, and maybe have access to these artifacts when they're facing overly powerful enemies. Just without the extreme power lust tongue

Mystery Lad #771315 05/18/13 08:22 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
See attached

Attached Images XSCaryTeam.jpg

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,242
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden