Roll Call
0 members (), 25 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 12:53 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:51 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Adventure Comics #524 Preview/Spoilers!
#613196 03/15/11 10:21 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Newsarama just put up a preview here .

Re: Adventure Comics #524 Preview/Spoilers!
#613197 03/15/11 10:24 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
I figured the punishment would be worse than that. It's just a grounding that Chemical Kid broke immediately.

I do like that Levitz seems to be softening up Chemical Kid in the second issue so he's not just a stereotypical rich jerk.

#613198 03/15/11 10:40 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Interesting little tidbits about Variable Lad and Chemical Kid's backgrounds.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#613199 03/15/11 10:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not crazy about the idea that Gym'll and Variable Lad just HAPPEN to be related. It doesn't really say a lot about diversity if they have to make two people from the same planet related.

#613200 03/15/11 11:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
More Chuck! Yay!

Looks like we're gonna go on a trip to Phlon. That's cool. Have we ever actually seen that planet before?

Still not loving Jiminez' change to Luornu's costume but his art is so great in all other areas I can let it slide. Also a bit concerned that Levitz has her coming off a bit shrewish these last couple of issues. *I* can sympathise with her and see where she's coming from, but I worry newer/younger readers might think she's just some bossy, stick in the mud getting in the way of the fun?

As a reader I'm liking Chemical Kid, but I don't get why Chuck is so quick to let his insubordination slide. Luornu's right in that being a Legionnaire is dangerous business and so far, he hasn't displayed the right attitude for it.

Wish this book still had extra pages! I need more Levitz/Jiminez Legion goodness a month!

#613201 03/15/11 12:48 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I'm not crazy about the idea that Gym'll and Variable Lad just HAPPEN to be related. It doesn't really say a lot about diversity if they have to make two people from the same planet related.
Seconded.

Plus, there's the whole nepotism angle. Which always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#613202 03/15/11 03:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't like nepotism either.

That being said, Gym'll isn't a Legionnaire, so I guess I can let it slide.
And maybe, EVERYONE on Gym'lls planet is a relative of his. His sister has had, at least, four LITTERS, after all!
smile

The drawing, inking and coloring of this book are so intricate and beautiful.
I just love this team of creators.
sigh

Since Lu is duping into many forms instead of just two or three, it's nice that her eyes are back to both being the same, although I would have made them either the gold or the purple rather than switching to blue, since those colors are more lovely and unusual.
Were they originally blue?
I've always remembered them as brown.

<3 getting another group shot of the kids.

Even though I know Chemical Kid's Asian in descent, although his mother doesn't seem to be, I still think his 'look' and posture remind me of Adam.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#613203 03/15/11 04:12 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Blacula:

Have we ever actually seen that planet before?
Only in the Chemical Kiing origin story in Secret Origins # 47. (and a snapshot in Who's Who in the LSH # 4)

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#613204 03/15/11 04:56 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally posted by Blacula:
Also a bit concerned that Levitz has her coming off a bit shrewish these last couple of issues. *I* can sympathise with her and see where she's coming from, but I worry newer/younger readers might think she's just some bossy, stick in the mud getting in the way of the fun?
I can see Luornu being over the top as far as discipline and training go, because she's lost more than most Legionnaires and I get the distinct impression that most of her teammates have no idea how traumatic losing her third body would have been for her (not sure of the status of her second body in this reboot)...even with her amped up powers now, I doubt that she has the same connection with her other bodies that she used to have; duplicates rather than separate parts of herself, so I can see how she would be a bit bitter about all of that. I am hoping her comments in this preview lead to some exploration at some point of all that she's been through, because up until 5YL that stuff was never really even touched on with Lu.

As far as Chuck being too far in the opposite direction....I see him more as judging a person by what they do when the chips are down, not expecting them to be on perfect behaviour at all times. He got his own powers through being a klutz, so I could see him giving the kids more leeway to just be kids. That's my take on it anyway. smile

#613205 03/15/11 05:05 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The strict parent/lenient parent trope is pretty standard, so I'm not surprised to see it being implemented in this context.

#613206 03/15/11 05:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Be-a-ut-iful!!! Hope Jimenez sticks around for a long, long time...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#613207 03/15/11 09:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
razsolo - I think your take on it is probably correct.

EDE - I think, like you say, the standardness of their roles here is what's chafing me. I like Lu and Chuck too much to see them reduced to the 'angry Mum / genial Dad' supporting roles of a bad teen TV sitcom. (Not that this book is bad at all though.) It's hard to make a character fun again when they've adopted the wise older mentor role. And I've always seen Lu and Chuck as two of the 'funner' members of this team.

#613208 03/16/11 05:52 AM
Active
Active
I would prefer that the instructors of the academy were rotary.
This way Lu and Chuck might return to the action, and the students would have other points of view of different legionnaries.
Jo - Tinya
Dawny - Drake
Imra - Garth
Rokk - Lydda
Nura - Thom
Shaddy - Lar (together in this task)
Jeckie - Brin
Dirk - Brek
Gim - Reep
Querl - Jacques
Gates - Quislet
Jan - Tenzil

And the possibilities would be infinites..

From UK with glamour.
#613209 03/16/11 06:50 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I think that a lot of what happens at the Academy should depend on what ages and standards/model of education that is being represented.

And Chuck has always seemed like he's being represented now, a laid back, go with the flow, non-disciplined kind of guy.

In Lo3Ws and Action, Lu lost Una, her second self, didn't she?
Did she feel the murder and watch Val die, too?
Like her reaction to her first death by Computo, her comment on losing Una didn't seem very upset in Lo3W.
But, she was upset when she thought she'd lost her second self before her marriage, so I'm not sure what kind of angst is there.

It looks like Levitz may decide there were some emotional consequences, after all.

I like the idea of visiting teachers, perhaps for a lecture or an entire class semester.
Who better to teach a class on detective work then Cham or . . .

I like BB and DD and NG to remain, only going on any missions on special assignments.

I would add Rokk to the permanent staff, though.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#613210 03/16/11 08:27 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Candlelight:
Even though I know Chemical Kid's Asian in descent, although his mother doesn't seem to be, I still think his 'look' and posture remind me of Adam.
Adam who?

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#613211 03/16/11 10:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
I would prefer that the instructors of the academy were rotary.
This way Lu and Chuck might return to the action, and the students would have other points of view of different legionnaries.
Jo - Tinya
Dawny - Drake
Imra - Garth
Rokk - Lydda
Nura - Thom
Shaddy - Lar (together in this task)

And the possibilities would be infinites..
I really like this idea! (Though not in the teaching combinations you list - the romantic couples don't have to be locked together. I'd much rather see them interact with different characters than the ones we're used to - especially in a teaching setting.) But rotating teachers would make sense and be an effective and interesting way of varying the cast.

On the other hand - where else in the last 20 years have we gotten to see Chuck and Lydda (and to a much lesser extent Luornu) getting so much face-time?

I'd rather see them in the main book but if the Legion-writers are so allergic to that idea then I'll definitely take them here.

#613212 03/16/11 11:42 AM
G
Active
Active
G
So, Chemical Kid's powers are the result of intentional gene splicing rather than random mutation. That makes more sense. I was really enjoying this preview until Gym'll came on and only had 3 arms again. Wish the artists would get their collective heads out of their collective butts and draw the characters somewhat consitently. It really ruined the moment for me to have this glaring inconsistency pop up yet again.

#613213 03/16/11 03:36 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I continue to love the look of Duplicate Girl--hair and costume are perfect.

#613214 03/16/11 04:50 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Silver Age Lad:
Originally posted by Candlelight:
[b] Even though I know Chemical Kid's Asian in descent, although his mother doesn't seem to be, I still think his 'look' and posture remind me of Adam.
Adam who?[/b]
Adam Lambert.
I used him for a couple of Chemical King entries on Bits . . . and I think he works even better for Chemical Kid.
There seemed to be disagreement on another thread somewhere here.
Thus my comment.

Originally posted by Iam Legion:
So, Chemical Kid's powers are the result of intentional gene splicing rather than random mutation. That makes more sense. I was really enjoying this preview until Gym'll came on and only had 3 arms again. Wish the artists would get their collective heads out of their collective butts and draw the characters somewhat consitently. It really ruined the moment for me to have this glaring inconsistency pop up yet again.
Also on another thread, we discussed the Gym'll arms.
It was pretty funny and had some good possibilites for the arm number changes.
Sex was only one of the ideas that was explored.
smile

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#613215 03/16/11 09:06 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm still loving Legion Academy!

Lu... I can see her tragic history of personal loss as the reason for her hyper-protective reactions. If that's where she's coming from, I hope that will be explored more in a future story because new readers won't have any knowledge of that. Also, I wish Chuck was shown supporting her feelings about that more. Otherwise, I like his laid-back attitude about the kids.

I didn't like that neither Lu nor Chuck asked Hadru about his dad. Of course, if they had, there wouldn't be the rest of the story.

I didn't get the point of the Gym'll/Chuck page. Just to give us some background on Variable Lad? Why did Chuck get on his knees?

Phlon has an interesting look.

Hadru's power origin, and the reason, are cool. It made me think of Brin's story...if that *is* still his story in this version.

Love, love, love the art. That said, some of the fight scenes were confusing. On the page where the students arrive at Hadru's house, the last panel, I'm still not sure who's causing the "FWOOSH" -- Dragonwing or Black Mace?

The students stepped up in the fight, rallying to help their friend and his family. I liked that spirit.

Rokk's speech to the older academy students sounded rather melodramatic. "The risks are high, the tension incredible...and even if you don't get killed...." C'mon, Cos. You're almost as bad as Lu.

Pickin' nits. It's still my most-anticipated book every month.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#613216 03/17/11 03:17 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cos didn't make much sense about, paraphrased: '. . . putting your life on hold'.
Most of the couples haven't really.
Imra and Garth even have kids.

I know, or think, it's supposed to be his reaction to Pol's death, but it's still a little silly given everyone else's life on the team.

I'm afraid I don't understand why the cadets were so bad in their fight with BM.
The original Legionnaires were younger when they started and they were much better with hardly any training at all.

Maybe the title should be 'the Remedial Legion Academy'?

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#613217 03/17/11 05:16 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I think Cos is talking about himself, here.

He's all verklempt with regrets about the things he's given up, and perhaps even a bit resentful of the members who (to his perspective) didn't work as hard to keep it all together, and ran off and did have a life, leaving him holding the bag all by himself.

(His blow up at Garth and Imra being a fine example of that, where he flat out calls Garth on how he left to have a life, while Rokk had to give up his own to manage things.)

And, being who he is, the guy who feels that he has to take the lead and be responsible for everything, at least some of that is on him, since he could have walked away as well (with Lydda, or someone), if he trusted the rest of the team to be able to function without him. The team isn't lacking for capable alternatives who have what it takes to be leader (Drake is kind of perfect, since he literally *can't* 'have a life' outside of the Legion).

I kinda like the complexity there, that he's bitter about having always been the responsible one who has to carry everything by himself, and yet he's proven unwilling to hand off the reins and let someone else share the load.

He made his lonely bed, and he's not loving it.

He just doesn't know how to get off of the tiger, and, I suspect, like many work-a-holics, will be utterly at a loss for what to do in his retirement, and end up driving *everybody* crazy with his kibbitzing and backseat driving... smile

I'm sure we all have people in our lives like that, who always take charge, and make it seem like they *have* to pick up the slack and organize everything, or retired family members who drive us around the bend with their unsolicted advice or unasked-for 'help.'

It's kinda neat to see Cos displaying some human characterization, and not just being a stick in the mud with no depth. Heroes with feet of clay. Still heroes, but human.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#613218 03/17/11 12:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:

On the page where the students arrive at Hadru's house, the last panel, I'm still not sure who's causing the "FWOOSH" -- Dragonwing or Black Mace?

It's her, both times she uses her power we get the same sound effect. Black Mace's sound is on the other side of the panel.

#613219 03/17/11 02:03 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by cleome:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
[b] I'm not crazy about the idea that Gym'll and Variable Lad just HAPPEN to be related. It doesn't really say a lot about diversity if they have to make two people from the same planet related.
Seconded.

Plus, there's the whole nepotism angle. Which always leaves a bad taste in my mouth. [/b]
Wouldnt it be nepotism if Varibale Lad was given special treatment, like say skipping the Academy and becoming a member of the Legion?

Hasnt it always been shown sorta that Gym'll doesnt like the Legion members and if anything he might have trepidation in placing his nephew in their tutelage?
Sounds like there could be an interesting backstory there however I'm not sure you could call it nepotism.

Speaking of which where is Shadow Lad anyway?? smile

#613220 03/17/11 02:42 PM
G
Active
Active
G
Originally posted by TimeTrapR:
Speaking of which where is Shadow Lad anyway??
I going to guess that he is dead. Durring Cosmic Boy's speach to the soon to be graduating class, there were some images in the background of figures that reminded me of the memorials to Legionaires. One of them looked like it might be Shadow Lad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,949
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden