Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Supergirl Annual 2 aka Could it be Saaaaaaaaatan Girl?
#613406 11/12/10 04:12 PM
Active
OP Offline
Active
So what did you think lash?

Bring back the super-cousins
#613407 11/14/10 02:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Haven't read it yet but I intend to dive into my short-stack today! The annual is at the top of the stack!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#613408 11/15/10 12:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I read it last night!

My verdict:

I wish this writer and either one of the artists had been handling the early days of the LSH in recent ADVENTURE issues.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#613409 11/15/10 01:59 PM
Active
Active
i have to say after reading the adventure comic with legion going to smallvile and really enjoying it, i have to this issue while not bad, i dont find it that great

looking threw it there was six pages i felt what the hell? they just let kara into the Superman museum to learn her fate? the fact that brainiac 5 got into a fight with lighting lad made sad, the fight was bad and honestly brainiac and Kara lacked any kind of chemistry.

would have been nice to see him fallow her around like a love sick puppy and have the legion say things like 'what are you doing out of the lab?' instead of the very creepy watching her form distance with a telescope

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#613410 11/18/10 03:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I finally read it today and enjoyed it a lot. Funny, I thought from bits I'd heard that they were going to actually full-on reveal Supergirl's fate here, but they obviously didn't. It was a sweet story, though, and worked better than any of the Superboy/Legion stories have thus far in Adventure. As Kara pointed out herself, it had a very innocent feel to it that is appropriate to the Silver Age era it pays homage to.

More and more, this new Kara compares favorably to the version most of us grew up with and fondly remember. I hope the Legion appears more in Kara's title after Sterling Gates leaves and Nick Spencer takes over. I want to see that date between Brainy and Kara, and I want to see Kara have an adventure with the LSH, including a meeting with the younger version of her super-cousin.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#613411 11/18/10 08:11 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I finally got this issue today. Props to my Comic Book Store owner for giving it to me for free after failing to pull it as requested, and then botching the re-order.

I didn't love it, but didn't hate it. It was an awkward effort to shoehorn the current Supergirl in the latest version of the Legion's past. No major gaffes and a few cute character moments, but nothing spectacular. Oh well, at least we have our explanation and can now move on.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#613412 11/18/10 10:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
agreed. I might have liked it a few millimeters more than you. older Brainy's pairing with Kara during LSoNK was better, and (for me) it set the bar higher for this story. The great cover also added to anticipation that didn't quite pay off.

I did really like the part about her learning her own future, though. It's been so often danced around, it was nice to see some breaking of time-travel ethos (even if, by necessity, wallpapered over later).

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#613413 11/21/10 11:28 PM
Active
Active
i enjoyed this much more than i expected. i enjoyed the artist on the first half of the issue. he really captured the young Legion and charm of the young Brainy. i had fun, i was nostalgic. however, i'm more confused than ever regarding continuity. DID this Supergirl and our Brainy have a romance or just a love/hate flirtation? why did she not remember Brainiac 5 at all in the Last Fight for Krypton issues? because of Saturn Girl's memory manipulations? so, they had a romance but she doesn't remember any of it? isn't that kind of creepy?
help me make sense of this please.
the second artist was fine but did not fit this title at all. hello, editor? he could not have been more different from the first artist. why was he chosen?
and, why was Phantom girl a skeleton? i thought that Satan Girl possessed people, npt altered their appearance.
the Jimmy robots were fun.

Gorilla Nebula
#613414 11/22/10 10:02 AM
G
Active
Active
G
She didn't remember any romance because for her it hadn't (and maybe still hasn't?) happened yet. Her first meeting with this version of the Legion (from her perspective) was durring "The Last Stand of New Krypton", but for the Legion (from their perspective) their first meeting happened durring the Supergirl Annual. Time travel sucks for keeping track of linear continuity.

#613415 11/22/10 11:25 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I loved this Ish, I LOVE Supergirl appearing with the Legion, I LOVE Supergirl and B5 together (as frenemies, lovers or otherwise). I'm not TOO concerned about the continuity stuff, because having Supergirl interact with the Legion is worth the dissonance caused to my AR mind.

There was ALWAYS a problem with the death of the original Supergirl vis a vis the Legion. Namely, they always should have known she would die (Levitz, bless him, did his best to shoehorn that in). This time, it's established from the outset that this is the case, that Supergirl will die as Supergirl, in her youth, saving the universe. But of course, who knows what that REALLY means? And since Gates is leaving Supergirl, who knows if this story will be pursued or not?

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#613416 11/24/10 08:35 AM
Substitute
Substitute
We are seeing this relationship from Kara's perspective. She first meets Brainiac 5 during last stand. This is a Brainiac 5 who has already loved and lost her. The love of his life is dead and he emos accordingly. He wonders in Last stand whether she had already met him and forgotten due to Saturn Girl's mind alterations. This is not the case.

In the annual we see Brainy meets Kara for the first time, her second time meeting him. He vows he will save her, but as we know from the first story he didn't or hasn't attempted yet. We see Saturn Girl impose these mind blocks but they aren't complete, she kisses Brainy after Saturn Girl's mojo. She recognises the Legionnaires, she knows her relationships with them but some things are fuzzy. Like Superman's.

We see Kara redo many of her early legion stories in the annual suggesting that all her legion stories are intact in some form except the very first one where she meets the 'decendants' of the legionnaires.

As for her 'Death'. I hope DC doesn't rush into it with some hack writer. It needs some thought. We need to see why Brainy would do it beyond a kiss. Whether they follow through on this in Supergirl after Gates is unknown but if Levitz was creative with Brainy he could show it in Legion.

The second artist was hired to show the dark, apocolyptic future that Matt Camp's lines couldn't. Camp really does 50's sci fi well though and his youthful characters are perfect for Legion. Its odd though, going from Red Robin and seeing this super-buff 17 year old and then seeing a 17 year old Brainy look his age. Comic-wise Brainy looks 12.

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com
#613417 11/24/10 10:48 AM
Active
Active
thanks for the thoughtful clarification, Para!
i still find it an odd choice. Supergirl will always be 5-10 years younger than Brainy and the rest of the LSH. The Supergirl/Brainiac 5 romance is fresh for her but a decade ago for him. it would be a nice change of pace to see that although she's into him that he has moved on. it's embarrassing to see that kind of stagnate fixation/obsession in real life.

i thought Matt Camp did a great job on that first page of Satan Girl coming through the portal.

Gorilla Nebula
#613418 11/26/10 08:30 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Brainiac 5 hasn't seen Kara in a while. Remember the legion broke contact with Superman 'after crisis' when Earth Man started up. Brainy will have not seen Kara since then either and Last Stand would be the first time he's met her when he's significantly older. We've basically seen the important parts from Brainy's point of view already pre-crisis. Kara is still living those pre-crisis events out.

What is interesting is that for Brainy to be acting this way he must be older than he was when Kara died in his timeline. We already have a death deadline for her because of this and personally I'd place it around crisis time for Brainy. We see him mourn after crisis for an event that has always happened, it only makes sense if that is when he realises he'll never see her again because she always turns up in line with his age. They'll never be the same age again. We could keep that in this new continuity if believe he is watching how new Kara dies now rather than crisis.

Now Kara knows more I really want to see her interact with older Brainy again. What would that be like especially if he strikes something up with Harmonia. And who knows, the well respected, invulnerable, seemingly naltorian ( maybe she knows the future because she was told it in the past), older than she looks Harmonia Li could be Linda Lang/Lee in hiding. Maybe Brainy does save her but she hides to protect the timeline and he whammies the memory out of himself. She could be anything, I have no clue tongue

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com
#613419 11/26/10 12:13 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I finally managed to read this all the way through yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. I never could stand Kara's belly-baring outfit, but I resisted the urge to go through the whole book with a bright blue marker to fill it in.

tongue

Overall, it feels like a much better attempt to "sew up" the Silver Age and the "Retroboot" legion gaps than most of what we've seen in Adventure. The more relaxed, fluid art styles were definitely a big help in that regard.

I second Superboy-Supergirl in loving the all-too-brief friendshippy interactions between Irma, Lu, and Kara. If anything, I'd get way more enthused about a story like that than I would about yet another Brainy/Kara tale-- even though I still like the pairing.

At first, I kept thinking that when Kara recalled meeting the other Legion that she was literally saying that she's the same Kara as the one in Threeboot. But that can't be right, can it?

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#613420 11/26/10 02:03 PM
Active
Active
yes, this is the same Kara from the WaK threeboot. that version is actually this Earth's future. or so Mark Waid always said.
UGH.
just gimme new stories that give me a reason to love this version of the LSH.

Gorilla Nebula
#613421 11/26/10 03:23 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
yes, this is the same Kara from the WaK threeboot. that version is actually this Earth's future. or so Mark Waid always said.
UGH.
That's how it was originally intended, but Johns amended Threeboot as the future of Earth Prime instead. Kinda makes sense with Threeboot's use of "old" comic books several times in their stories.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#613422 11/26/10 08:35 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Para Dox has a great point that whenever Kara visited the future, she would age basically parallel to Brainy aging; now that in Brainy's time Kara may actually have died for him, she's starting to appear and they aren't the same age. So it kind of makes it sting all the bit more for him.

So far all indications point towards Supergirl having all the adventures with the Legion she traditionally had and then dying sometime around Crisis (for the Legion's timeline).

(BTW, Ultimately, I think the death of Kara they speak about will one day revealed to be a fake-out a la Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow with Kal-El).

I'm quite glad that this Supergirl *is* the Silver Age Supergirl in the same way that this Superman *is* the Silver Age Superman (and the retroboot Legion *is* the Silver Age Legion). I think they all parallel each other in that respect.

#613423 11/27/10 08:12 AM
Leader
Leader
I hope you're right about Kara's death being faked, CK. It makes no sense to me to reintroduce Kara, then go through all the trouble of reconnecting her to the LSH, etc. only to pre-doom her to an early death all over again. Who does she think she is, Karate Kid?

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,084
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024